Julius | Tree House Brewing Company

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States
treehousebrew.com

Style: American IPA

Bursting with 1.6 oz per gallon of American hops, Julius is loaded with notes of passionfruit, mango, and citrus. At 6.8% alcohol, it is refreshing and freakishly drinkable.

Added by Jason on 10-17-2012

Ratings: 3,607 |  Reviews: 567

Opened this growler and walked across the room to grab a glass. Stopped in my tracks, because I could suddenly smell it. From all the way across the room (a fairly large room). Tropical, citrusy juice. I have no idea how they achieved a nose like that, but I want it in my life every day. (Julius Candles, anyone?).

Poured into tulip. Julius looks like, well Juice. Thick mango juice. It's beautiful. And I'm still not over that goddamn tropical juice nose. May have drooled into glass.

At this point in the experience I am a little nervous. Because it seems likely this beer can't possibly live up to that nose and look. But it does. I hate to say "pillowy-soft mouthfeel", because what the fuck even is that? But it describes what my mouth is feeling exactly. I swear to you. And the taste....I was expecting to be underwhelmed. I really was. But, continuing right in theme, this beer is straight juice. It is like drinking some tropical, citrusy, I should be on a beach right now, juice (I don't know any other word for juice-sorry). I could chug this beer if I didn't want the experience to last as long as possible.

Fantastic! As soon as you open the can, you get that citrusy/mango aroma and the taste is just as good. Very smooth for an IPA. Mine of the best beers I've had

I mean, you can knock it for having the haze it does, but if you're looking to appearance for what to expect, it's exactly what it should be!
JUICE. Orange. It's exactly what you'd expect. My favorite IPA to date.
There are not many beers where you drink it, your eyes get big, and you double-take. Haven't had that with any of the other big NE or West Coast IPAs.

If I could rate this beer a solid 10 + I would...it is absolutely OFF. THE. CHARTS. AMAZING!!!!!! Color is like a milky sunset orange; it captivates and lures you in at sight. Smell is outstanding...peachy, apricot, citrus goodness. Please please PLEASE bottle this stuff as a perfume!!!! I'd douse myself in it and my boyfriend would be in sheer HEAVEN!!! Taste~okay here is where we get a little crazy because up until this point it's been a pure turn-on and tease. Let me preface this by recalling a movie entitled When Harry Met Sally. Remember Meg Ryan's rendition of a fake orgasm? At first sip, expect this beer to cause the real thing...it's mind-blowing amazing. Beautiful lacing from a pure white head, it's truly pillowy and extremely easy to drink. For me, the peachy/apricot notes are prominent upon smell, opening up to strong notes of mango, papaya and a touch of melon to taste. This beer lingers on the palate, so don't rush in for a second sip too soon! Sit back and relive that first sip for a couple minutes...the finish is amazingly smooth and fresh!! On a side note...this beer can be dangerously easy to drink and cause people to slip and say things they may be held accountable for: Honey, am I really getting a diamond engagement ring within the next 6 months???!! hehe!! ; )

Tried from a fresh can poured into a teku glass.

Look - Cloudy, Orange glow in the glass with a nice head of bubbles that sticks around. I would give it a 5, typical peach nectar appearance I have come to expect with TH IPAs.

Smell - Takes over the senses with fresh orange citrus, tropical fruit and peaches. Some mild floral notes develop as well with a little time in the glass. The aroma is a perfect 5 IMO as it really delights the senses as well as anyone sitting close by.

Taste - ORANGE, ORANGE, and more ORANGE followed by complimenting tropical fruit and peaches. Smoother than 26.3 points per game and 20.2 rebounds per game (Dr.J at UMASS), this beer is extremely easy to drink. Very well balanced even though it's packed with juicy oranges the slight hoppy bitterness hade coming back for more. Perfect 5 stands up to other world class IPAS.

Feel - Light to Medium - this beer is so crushable with its ridiculously smooth body.
Juicy citrus with a perfect balance of hoppiness that does not overwhelm the palate in a negative aspect. Also a great level of carbonation that makes this beer a real sensory explosion.

Overall - 5 out of 5 Easily in my fab five. I would drink this beer everyday if I could and not regret it. A tremendous effort by a young brewery that has me excited about every release.

16 oz can (thanks Leo!) poured into a Jow's Arcade tulip glass

A - Hazy, typical NE/Tree House dark orange color. Completely opaque, with a 1/2 finger of off white head.

S - A straight orange juice bomb. Wow, so much orange juice. How do they make hops smell this way with no adjuncts?! Its crazy. Bitter orange peel, tangerines, sweet peaches, herbaceous. Amazing nose.

T - Huge, huge, huge orange right up front. Explosive juiciness. Tree House has their beer dialed. Orange peel follows, pithy orange middle of the mouth, bitter hops, crazy balanced with an awesome sweet citrus finish.

M - Medium, velvety smooth. TH mouth feel is second to none it seems when it comes to hoppy beers.

O - as far as IPAs go, this is one of the best on the planet. No holes to find. The only way you don't like this beer, is if you don't like juicy citrus IPAs. So fun to drink. Highest of recommendations.

Can dated 8/18/15. This is my first Julius and I'm already disappointed that I don't have another one to drink after this (yet....). Pours opaque and murky almost like fresh squeezed orange juice. Immediately hit with an intoxicating aroma of oranges and ripe mango or peaches. There is also a pleasant dankness too it. Taste is just a continuation of juicy tropical fruit with a bit of citrus pith and pine aftertaste that lingers. So smooth and drinkable. I've never given a beer a 5 before but I think this deserves it. Too bad I don't have regular access this to this, cause my beer buying choices would be so much more simplified. I wouldn't need to buy anything else I don't think.

Julius from Tree House Brewing Company