Julius | Tree House Brewing Company

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States
treehousebrew.com

Style: American IPA

Bursting with 1.6 oz per gallon of American hops, Julius is loaded with notes of passionfruit, mango, and citrus. At 6.8% alcohol, it is refreshing and freakishly drinkable.

Added by Jason on 10-17-2012

#15

Ratings: 3,765 |  Reviews: 593

2.04/5  rDev -56.2%

2.04/5  rDev -56.2%

2.18/5  rDev -53.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

More about the hype then anything else

2.5/5  rDev -46.4%

2.68/5  rDev -42.5%

2.77/5  rDev -40.6%

2.8/5  rDev -39.9%

2.93/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

3.38/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

The best way for me to describe this beer is, not what I expected.

Visually it is a great looking beer. Slightly murky orange with a white foam head. I had to dive right in.

The aroma was pushing a lot of citrus, not at all floral. I didn't expect it to knock me down with waves of citrus.

My first sip was a little off putting because the aroma did not match the flavor profile. While it is juicy, I don't get a ton of the mango that they talk about on the side of the can. That is a little bitterness at the front of your mouth but really, really faint. And the bittering hop is less than desirable.

I really wanted to feel the juiciness in my cheeks, instead I got a beer that leaves very little residual flavor and is borderline watery on the finish. I feel like this beer wants to be a lot more than it actually is. A strong citrus aroma that doesn't come through on the flavors and a hint at what could be a really good beer.

3.41/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

At brewery. Not sure what happened, but not what I was expecting.

3.43/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

3.48/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Not a real technical review but here goes.

Poured a dark, sickly orange color that reminded me off extra pulp orange juice gone bad. The gf actually said "that looks f*****g disgusting" when I poured it. The aroma is pretty good, lots of fruit there. Taste was again citrus, lots of orange for me, not the hop profile I enjoy in my beers. No way did this come close to living up to the hype or its #10 ranking. Put this on a shelf in my store and I would walk past it everyday, just not my cup of tea.

Had to edit because the first rating was way to high for me personally. Gave in to the hype and didn't want to rate it poorly, but honestly, there was nothing good about this beer except the smell for me.

3.49/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 2 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev -24.9%

3.5/5  rDev -24.9%

3.53/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.58/5  rDev -23.2%

3.59/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.62/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

murky yellow orange just like the can. guava mustard passion fruit slight scallion sauerkraut peach. taste is kind of muted. feels full and chewy luscious. not bad i was expecting more from the smell though

3.62/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

This isn't a beer, it's a gimmick. OK, it is a beer by definition, but it's still a gimmick. The bright fruitiness is infatuating, but lacks the complexities of other beers in the category (American DIPA).

Tasted 2 weeks after purchasing fresh from the brewery. Poured into a tulip glass, and let warm up a few minutes. It's a great beer, not sure if it's worth the effort or price. Copious amount of late addition hops don't create the complexity that other DIPAs have. The rage is really about the fruitiness, insanely intense flavors, without the bitterness.

L: Opaque/cloudy, this is the new normal for this region and I'm still getting used to it. Orangish copper. This amount of cloudiness makes me nervous about the yeast farts I'll have later tonight. I actually wonder if it really is suspended yeast or maybe they mixed some highly refined flour into the beer or something. (I've had some of this beer that sat for several months before tasting and it was just as cloudy and limited sediment)
S: No different from the other reviewers: tropical fruits such as passion fruit (or, passion fruit nectar, I've never smelled real passion fruit), apricot, and a hint of pine tree resin. Still nervous about the smell of the farts I may have later. Good thing I'm already married.
T: Lots of tropical/Hawaiian fruit nectar, but a bit more bitter than nectar. I kind of feel like if I want a glass of tropical fruit or Hawaiian fruit juice I would get a glass of that. But this is drier, not crisp but balanced. As the flavor dissipates, piney notes come forward. Then you get the bitterness. But not a lot.
M: Thick. It's dry so doesn't leave a residue, though there is some oiliness from all the hops, and the flavor lingers a long time.
O: There's a lot of hype about this beer. But it's clearly a trick of late hopping a copious amount of hops. The flavor is unique compared to other high profile American DIPAs, but there isn't a complexity that I would expect.

3.67/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Julius from Tree House Brewing Company