Julius | Tree House Brewing Company

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States
treehousebrew.com

Style: New England IPA

Bursting with 1.6 oz per gallon of American hops, Julius is loaded with notes of passionfruit, mango, and citrus. At 6.8% alcohol, it is refreshing and freakishly drinkable.

#20

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 723 | Ratings: 4,613
2.38/5  rDev -48.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Canned 07/10/18 and drank on 08/17/18. Idk this beer wasn't so good. Very bitter taste and not juicy at all. Thought it would be more flavorful like Lawson's Sunshine or Mikkeller Windy Hill. Oh well, maybe the can I had was starting to turn bad. Just over 1 month though Idk. The SMELL was kind of citrus like, but the TASTE didn't follow the nose. You win some, you lose some.

2.97/5  rDev -36.1%

Julius really has taken a huge hit in quality since the new brewery opened a few years ago. It’s amazing this place still has lines considering you can get beers way better and easier. TH hype and long lines are coming to an end.

2.99/5  rDev -35.7%

Thanks to BrutalFarce for this one in a ninja box. 16oz can (of course) poured into 14oz teku. Poured the expected murky yellow/orange/brown color of the style, with over 2 inches of fluffy, off-white head that had good retention and lacing. A lot of sediment settled to the bottom of the glass.

The aroma was the expected fruited hops of the style, with no real malt or grain showing. Same dealio on the tongue; fruity hops, no other attributes.

The body was what was expected: light, smooth, thin and had a medium finish. Drinkability was fine, if unexciting. Overall, it was what I expected; a template for the style. YMMV. Shrug.

3.38/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

The best way for me to describe this beer is, not what I expected.

Visually it is a great looking beer. Slightly murky orange with a white foam head. I had to dive right in.

The aroma was pushing a lot of citrus, not at all floral. I didn't expect it to knock me down with waves of citrus.

My first sip was a little off putting because the aroma did not match the flavor profile. While it is juicy, I don't get a ton of the mango that they talk about on the side of the can. That is a little bitterness at the front of your mouth but really, really faint. And the bittering hop is less than desirable.

I really wanted to feel the juiciness in my cheeks, instead I got a beer that leaves very little residual flavor and is borderline watery on the finish. I feel like this beer wants to be a lot more than it actually is. A strong citrus aroma that doesn't come through on the flavors and a hint at what could be a really good beer.

3.48/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Not a real technical review but here goes.

Poured a dark, sickly orange color that reminded me off extra pulp orange juice gone bad. The gf actually said "that looks f*****g disgusting" when I poured it. The aroma is pretty good, lots of fruit there. Taste was again citrus, lots of orange for me, not the hop profile I enjoy in my beers. No way did this come close to living up to the hype or its #10 ranking. Put this on a shelf in my store and I would walk past it everyday, just not my cup of tea.

Had to edit because the first rating was way to high for me personally. Gave in to the hype and didn't want to rate it poorly, but honestly, there was nothing good about this beer except the smell for me.

3.62/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

This isn't a beer, it's a gimmick. OK, it is a beer by definition, but it's still a gimmick. The bright fruitiness is infatuating, but lacks the complexities of other beers in the category (American DIPA).

Tasted 2 weeks after purchasing fresh from the brewery. Poured into a tulip glass, and let warm up a few minutes. It's a great beer, not sure if it's worth the effort or price. Copious amount of late addition hops don't create the complexity that other DIPAs have. The rage is really about the fruitiness, insanely intense flavors, without the bitterness.

L: Opaque/cloudy, this is the new normal for this region and I'm still getting used to it. Orangish copper. This amount of cloudiness makes me nervous about the yeast farts I'll have later tonight. I actually wonder if it really is suspended yeast or maybe they mixed some highly refined flour into the beer or something. (I've had some of this beer that sat for several months before tasting and it was just as cloudy and limited sediment)
S: No different from the other reviewers: tropical fruits such as passion fruit (or, passion fruit nectar, I've never smelled real passion fruit), apricot, and a hint of pine tree resin. Still nervous about the smell of the farts I may have later. Good thing I'm already married.
T: Lots of tropical/Hawaiian fruit nectar, but a bit more bitter than nectar. I kind of feel like if I want a glass of tropical fruit or Hawaiian fruit juice I would get a glass of that. But this is drier, not crisp but balanced. As the flavor dissipates, piney notes come forward. Then you get the bitterness. But not a lot.
M: Thick. It's dry so doesn't leave a residue, though there is some oiliness from all the hops, and the flavor lingers a long time.
O: There's a lot of hype about this beer. But it's clearly a trick of late hopping a copious amount of hops. The flavor is unique compared to other high profile American DIPAs, but there isn't a complexity that I would expect.

3.62/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

murky yellow orange just like the can. guava mustard passion fruit slight scallion sauerkraut peach. taste is kind of muted. feels full and chewy luscious. not bad i was expecting more from the smell though

3.67/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

just muddled a bit by a flour like for taste. It's a good beer and no doubt my particular was not the standard bearer for what Julius should be looking forward to trying again soon.

3.72/5  rDev -20%
look: 5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

I honestly.... was let down by this beer.

I actually like this style of IPA. Love the hazy, unfiltered, low carb, mega dry-hopped IPA... but for some reason I was very put off by the "old" malt tasting.... flavor... of this beer. It tasted like an IPA that has been sitting around for about 2 months.

It lacked flavor and very muted nose as well. Date on the can was 1-21-2016 (so about... 11 days old)

This isn't a bad beer at all, but to call it world class? In my books - no.

3.74/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark orange with a thin white head, not the lighter orange, more juicy color I was expecting
Smells "juicy", mostly of citrus
taste is hoppy and a bit sweet with a slight bitterness at the end of the sip
feel is soft and not overly carbonated
overall, not a beer I'd go out of my way for. I've had it once from a growler and once from the can, both very fresh and it hasn't lived up to it's hype for me.

3.75/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

I have had this 3 times now, can, growler, and then growler again.

A: An orange haze, about half an inch of head, retaining well.

S: tropical goodness, lots of orange, mango, papaya.

T: A little hop bitterness up front, slight orange taste, lots of malt flavor, and not very balanced. This leans more towards the malty side, with you wishing there was more of this orange hop flavor that the can suggests.

M: very creamy, moderate carbonation.

Overall: This is a huge let-down. I went into acquiring this beer with huge expectations, and thought that maybe my canned version was sub-par so I sought out the growler version. A good IPA at best, don't believe the hype, go after Tree House's other awesome offerings like the Curiosity series, Haze, Double Shot or the elusive Good Morning.

3.77/5  rDev -18.9%

Don't get me wrong, this is a tasty IPA. I like hazy IPA's but this just looks like flat orange juice. I've it had within two weeks of canning on several occasions, and have consistently found it under carbonated. IT has some great citrus and tropical fruit flavors, but I can't really get past the mouthfeel with this beer. It simply doesn't deserve the hype it gets, Tree House has several better IPAs.

3.8/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Overall: I bought a mix pack at Treehouse. They're all delicious... BUT ALL THE SAME.
So, for the umpteenth time in a row..
Big foamy head.
Beautiful DEEEEEP peachy haze.
Smells of orange.
More bitter aftertaste than the rest of the beers.
For a "Flagship" beer, is actually not my favorite of the lot because of the aftertaste.

3.83/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Growler from 4/14/2016.

Appearance - The appearance is every bit as hazy as Tree House's reputation portends. The beer itself has a pretty sunburst color, almost radiant even, which may even be accentuated by the opaqueness of the liquid. It essentially resembles pineapple juice. The head is clumpy and dense and leaves a blanket of lace behind as it recedes.

Aroma - The aroma is pungent and fresh, ripe with tropical notes and a toss of grass and perhaps the slightest hint of green onion. Mango and pineapple lead the way on the tropical front.

Taste - The flavor very much resembles the aroma, especially the mango and even some passion fruit. Except here, I'm not getting that overwhelming juiciness that made the aroma so enticing. It just seems muted and a bit more grassiness comes through, especially in the finish where a hop bite is starkly noticeable.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel is actually very nice and fits perfectly with the the style and the hops. It is soft and pillowy, allowing the flavors to slowly rest and develop on the palate. I would perhaps want a little more carbonation, but it's possible the canned version displays more.

Closing Arguments - Overall this a solid IPA for sure. I tried this in a blind tasting a few weeks ago and it finished near the bottom of the pack (in a field of other impressive IPAs, to be fair), but I wanted to give it another look with a fresh palate. My thoughts now echo mine then - a nice beer but not one that lives up to the hype or trouble needed to get it. In defense of Tree House, we had Lights On that same tasting and it was the near unanimous winner in its field, so this isn't a hit piece on Tree House.

3.84/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Can at share. Milky, golden pour., small head subsides. Aroma is Belgian yeast, and light citrus. Taste too is light on the palate, juicy, citrus, dries out chalky. Nice feel, not overly sweet or bitter.

3.86/5  rDev -17%

Growler pour at Woodshop 8 held at The Hermosillo in Los Angeles, CA.

Pours a murky orange with a foamy tan head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, citrus zest, and herbal hop aromas. Taste is much the same with earthy, herbal hop flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer that has a slightly better hop presence in the flavor in my opinion.

3.88/5  rDev -16.6%

Either this batch is not their best or the New England reviewers and the brothers are losing sight of what's good. This beer has not lived up to the hype. It's unique but not in all good ways. This batch was made September 27th, 2016.

The look is a standard unfiltered hazy New England IPA, goldenrod in color with nice white head and good lacing. I'm not a huge fan of suspended proteins and polyphenols in my IPAs but it doesn't totally take away from the look.

The nose is POG (passion, orange, guava) with hints pineapple, pine needles and bark. An intriguing combination.

The flavor profile is a little different from the nose with the primary taste being orange peel with notes of pineapple and pine. There is a subtle metallic taste as well. There is a lingering heat to this beer which is odd because it's not a high point beer. Again interesting but not necessarily in a good way.

The mouthfeel is very nice. Medium bodied beer with just the right amount of carbonation.

Overall, it tastes good but not world-class. Next to no standard IPA features in this beer and the unique features are not all pleasant.

3.88/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 2 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is a difficult beer to rate. By style guidelines this beer falls on its face for appearance. While not bad to look at, it's a murky orange pour. Can't give it good numbers for that.
Aroma is nice, however, and goes well with the style. Tropical with hints of citrus. Notes of "green" stems. Taste is good, too although the fruits not as salient as in the nose. The feel isn't quite right. A bit light, not much bitterness yet some tannin, probably not from hops. Overall a good beer. Would not trade for it again, nor seek it out. Just not my thing.

3.92/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Alright. The IPA at the top of the heap for the moment. So stoked to be able to try this. After several cans, I think I'm ready to sketch some thoughts.

Rather than go through the parts, I'll start with the sum: Julius is fruity as hell. But, to my palate, there's just not enough depth of hop flavor, nor balancing bitterness. It suffers under the weight of its richly decadent body, fruity esters combining with sweet malt to make this more like sweetened hop cake than bracing, refreshing IPA. I say all this with some reserve. Julius is not a bad beer in the least. And my guess is that this is exactly the sort of beer the brewers set out to create, so mission accomplished there. For me, though, it just doesn't work as well as so many other beloved IPAs.

Now, as to the parts themselves, Julius is a deep, dark orange in the glass, darn near opaque. Under artificial lighting, it's not especially attractive. It has a nice foamy head to start, though retention isn't great (unlike its intrastate rivals, Trillium, whose brews tend to have head for days). The nose is the strong suit, at least at the start, offering a nice blast of peachy fruitiness, with perhaps some citric notes thrown in too. Unfortunately, once all those dry hop volatiles evaporate, J. gets a bit oversaturatedly fruity and, rather surprisingly, malt forward. Palate is heavy, dense even, and drinkability is not especially high. There's some backing bitterness in there, but it's restrained, letting the fruity esters and hops dominate. In the end, Julius is befitting of its name, reminding me of some tropical-flavored iteration of an Orange Julius, thick, fruity, rich.

So cool to try this brew, which in some ways typifies the NEIPA. For me, I'd gladly sacrifice some of that oversaturated fruitiness for more drinkability and more depth/acuity of flavor. But, for those in the mood for some fruity hop excess, this'll do the trick.

3.92/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I felt like this was a great beer. But I think I may have got an old can from the guy I traded with because I don't feel close to how everyone else seems to feel on this. It just wasn't bursting with all these mango and papaya that I have been reading about. I still think it is a great beer but I believe it to be over-hyped. But I will definitely be seeking this out again to make sure I just didn't get an off can.

3.96/5  rDev -14.8%

Thank you, Patrick. Canned 11/05.

Pouring a hazy orange with a dense dirty white head with very good retention and lacing, this looks great. The nose is a giant blend of tropical fruit with mango, papaya, passionfruit , cooked oranges, fleshy, pulpy and delicious. Doughy malt is present. The palate opens with a riot of hop flavor, just tons and tons of fruit. Mango, peach, papaya, baked oranges galore with a definite doughy malt character, a little bit like cereal? Not unlike other New England IPAs I've has on this trip east, it's a little messy, lacking in the clean bitterness that ties together all the hop flavors. What bitterness is present is a little minty/ spruce like, interesting but a touch unfocused. Medium in body with a beautiful creamy carbonation, this beer had a long finish, mostly fruity with a little bitterness on the finish. Interestingly, the bitterness does also have a mild astringency, mildly aspirin like. Solid. I'd drink a ton if I could.

3.96/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Look, this beer is legendary after only a few years. There's no doubt that it's truly unique. I don't think any other beer tastes quite like it. I had my first one back in August of 2015, and while it was very good at the time, I think I let the hype around it build it up to be something that frankly, no beer can be.

In the (almost) year since my first Julius I fought long and hard to make a trip to Treehouse for more. In the interim friends brought me Haze, Doppleganger, and Alter Ego, all of which I liked very much. The taste of Julius faded from my memory but the idea of Julius just grew bigger and bigger in my mind.

Last weekend I finally had the chance to grab a growler of Julius from Treehouse. The trip was a mixed experience. Lines were long, parking attendants were grumpy, servers were overwhelmed, but it was a beautiful day so standing in line a bit didn't matter. At last, there it was. Approaching the first pour from my growler with all the anticipation of a sixteen-year-old boy with his girlfriend at his house and his parents out for the first time, I was . . . underwhelmed. Sure it's good. But it doesn't quite taste like beer should taste to me. When people describe this beer as tasting like orange juice they are not exaggerating. We always read that this or that beer smells like mango or peach, grass or brine . . . whatever. And sure we can imagine some of that in those brews. But really, Julius does taste and feel a lot like orange juice. I can imagine Nate Lanier, original brewer of Julius, rubbing his hands together and laughing like a mad scientist as he realizes that he has concocted the perfect potion. It's beer, but wait, it tastes like juice.

For this alone you have to try it. Nothing else comes close to the actual flavor and texture of Julius. It is one of a kind. I do find it very, very sweet though. Perhaps my palate has changed in the months since I first tasted it but there are several IPAs and double IPAs that I like more.

For it's uniqueness I would give it a 10/10. And kind of like the way that everyone should really try the uni with the quail egg on top the first time they eat sushi, just because . . . I think everyone who likes beer should try Julius. But for overall taste and drinkability, it's not something I would reach for regularly or even go out of my way for again.

3.96/5  rDev -14.8%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Very hazy orange body. Big white head with nice lacing and a chunky collar.

Smell - Orange hops. Metallic sort of aroma. Some toasty malt.

Taste - Tastes much better. Tropical fruits. Orange. Lightly toasty cracker malt. A bit of sweetness backs it up.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Kinda creamy. Medium carbonation.

Overall - This is good, but I don't get the crazy high ratings it has. I could definitely drink lots of this and would be happy drinking it all the time, but not sure it's top 50 caliber.

3.97/5  rDev -14.6%

Smell is orange citrus, pineapple, general tropical fruit aroma, and a hint of graham cracker. Taste pretty much mirrors the smell, and in line with the ultra juicy "New England" IPA style. I know I'm in the minority on this one, but while I enjoyed this beer I thought it was a little over-rated. I thought some of the Aslin beers were of similar quality.

Murky orange in body, fresh powder head. Citrus, papaya, mango, grass in the nose. Citrus, papaya, mango, grass, clean bitterness. Heavy body with medium carbonation.

Julius from Tree House Brewing Company