Julius | Tree House Brewing Company

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States
treehousebrew.com

Style: American IPA

Bursting with 1.6 oz per gallon of American hops, Julius is loaded with notes of passionfruit, mango, and citrus. At 6.5% alcohol, it is refreshing and freakishly drinkable.

Added by Jason on 10-17-2012

Reviews: 509 | Ratings: 3,280
4.79/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Cracked this one open tonight, got it on a trade on Sunday. Pours a deep opaque orange with a fluffy white head that sticks around. Smell is super fruit, just pure orange and mango. OK, this is amazing, one of the best beers I've ever had. The mango on the tongue is so potent you could have told me this was juice. Notes of blood orange and pineapple, sweet malt, hint of grassy hop bitterness. The feel is so light and smooth. Drinks like a mango orange smoothie. Overall this beer deserves all the credit it gets.

4.47/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours a beautiful hazy orange. Really bright. Smell is loaded with tropical and citrus fruit. Taste carries over from the smell. Tons of sweet citrusy hop flavor. Mango, orange, pineapple. Full bodied substantive mouth feel.

Opened this growler and walked across the room to grab a glass. Stopped in my tracks, because I could suddenly smell it. From all the way across the room (a fairly large room). Tropical, citrusy juice. I have no idea how they achieved a nose like that, but I want it in my life every day. (Julius Candles, anyone?).

Poured into tulip. Julius looks like, well Juice. Thick mango juice. It's beautiful. And I'm still not over that goddamn tropical juice nose. May have drooled into glass.

At this point in the experience I am a little nervous. Because it seems likely this beer can't possibly live up to that nose and look. But it does. I hate to say "pillowy-soft mouthfeel", because what the fuck even is that? But it describes what my mouth is feeling exactly. I swear to you. And the taste....I was expecting to be underwhelmed. I really was. But, continuing right in theme, this beer is straight juice. It is like drinking some tropical, citrusy, I should be on a beach right now, juice (I don't know any other word for juice-sorry). I could chug this beer if I didn't want the experience to last as long as possible.

4.83/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

From the gorgeous orange pour, the passion fruit explosion nose and delicious hop taste, this brew is amazing. Can't express how much I love this beer. Great job tree house.

4.53/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful, hazy bright orange appearance that is almost artificial color. A tropical citrus nose is predominant, with a hint of bitterness in the aroma. Bitterness and citrus bursts out of the glass but blend well together to create a well balanced product. Mouth feel is not exactly as astoundingly soft and cloudy as some of Treehouse's other offerings, but this is definitely an improvement over many other IPA's I've had. Overall I would drink this again but probably not soon due to the limited availability and lack of distribution, however hopefully they will begin making this beer more en mass.

4.81/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This one pours a hazy orange. A thick white head dissipates into nice lacing all the way down. Aroma is tropical fruit, think mango and pineapple. The taste is more fruit and orange peal. Great all around beer.

4.06/5  rDev -12.5%

Pour is dark orange, extremely cloudy, with lots of white head, some large bubbles, decent retention, and a thick lace. Nose is heavy mango and citrus, with a bit of mango rind, lightly earthy, with notes of grapefruit. Flavor profile follows the nose to a T. Tons of tropical fruit, mango and grapefruit, with a citrus blast, low bitterness, a mostly creamy feel, a touch granule towards the back end with aggressive carbonation. Bitterness creeps up a little through the finish and lingers a touch.

4.29/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

- 16oz. can (canned 24-Jul-15) half poured into whisky glass, and rest straight out of the can, on 11-Aug-15

Thanks to marino13412 for the awesome trade.

I drank this along side Haze and could not taste the difference, but this one was juicier. Juicy peaches and mangos. Super dank, but it's surprisingly got a clean finish. I think I prefer this one a little bit more.

Thanks to mdr4669 for these cans washing up on the shores of maximum12. Had a few samplers of Treehouse at tastings, but this is my first full pour. 16 oz. yellow/orange can that you won’t lose in the woods.

The pour is a well carbonated & dense orange. As advertised, this smells like a hot, barefoot afternoon on Terre-de-Haut. The only fruit that jumps out in the nose is orange, but maybe that’s just a byproduct of the eyeful I’m getting.

Julius is juicy. Whatever the taste, this beer is dripping with extra liquidity, & seems to stimulate my drool buds rather oddly. Bursting with fruitiness defined by peach for me, with low census counts of orange, citrus. Then the ends sticks you with a piney bitterness that lingers far longer than the career of anyone names Swarzak. Certainly easy to gulp, as this sixteen ounces isn’t going to live long.

In name & style, this wouldn’t seem out of place in another eastern breweries’ lineup (though that place is well south of Treehouse). This doesn’t reach into the holy firmament of IPAs for my palate, but the stickiness & staying power make it a really good beer.

4.46/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'm going to say it - I think this beer came to me a little overhyped. I was expecting a more subdued bitterness with a big citrus bomb - this is not what I got, sadly.

4.78/5  rDev +3%

L: Murky orange brew that looks more like a smoothie than a beer. Fluffy off-white head that looks like a washed out version of the body. Thick sticky lacing sticks around.
S: Orange and mango dominate the nose. Not sure if there's citra in the beer but it sure seems like there's a hint of it in the smell.
T: Holy F#*k! This thing tastes fresh squeezed fruit from a citrus grove. This is as juicy as a beer can get without being cloying or just gross. I would drink this beer exclusively if I could.
F: So soft but also so well carbed. Just enough hop bitterness there to keep the malt in check and keep it from being sweet.
O: This is a beer I waited to rate because I wanted to make sure it was really the best beer I've ever had. As it turns out, it is. There is just so much right with this beer that it will haunt my dreams in between brewery drops.

4.89/5  rDev +5.4%

What can be said about one of the greatest flagship beers available? If you have had the pleasure of tasting this beer then you will know that words cannot do it justice. The greatest advantage to living in Ellington, CT is that I am a mere 15 minutes away from the best brewery in the United States.

4.83/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Great brew. Very juicy, hop forward and great mouth feel with a nice lingering finish. Provides just enough malt to showcase the hops in all of its glory.

4.93/5  rDev +6.3%

i like this beer a lot!! its loaded with fruits in the taste, more so than smell... great ipa, very easy going and super drinkable, not as extreme as sope double ipas though!!

4.84/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 16oz can from the old can style immediately after getting it in a trade despite it being 10:30AM. It' pours a cloudy orangeish tint. The smell and auroma wasn't as strong as I thought it would be but when drinking, it tasted like straight orange juice. Phenomenal beer!

4.47/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

No canning date visible but acquired from the brewery yesterday, where the canning machinery was visible and was still loaded with more Julius cans to fill.

Poured from the 16 oz. can into a Tree House stemmed tulip.

a: Hazy amber with an inch thick white head which receded to thin surface foam and patchy lacing.

s: Moderate citrus and tropical fruits.

t: Follows the nose with a significant hop bite over a medium plus bready malt base. Bitterness temporarily builds somewhat on the mainly dry finish. Some dankness develops later. Covers its ABV beautifully but leaves one imagining the same recipe could easily work with a DIPA strength ABV.

m: Medium plus, excellent body and good carbonation tingle.

o: A top flight quality IPA, substantial yet refreshing.

4.57/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The can I had was apparently from a June batch and I was still seriously impressed with this beer. Citrus notes still strong, hazy pour with plenty of carbonation leaving silky lacing. My wife even loved it which for her is a rare thing since she hardly touches beer at all. I would love to try some of this fresh!

Julius is perfection in a glass. I don't know how the guys at TreeHouse do it, but this beer is one of the few that lives up to the hype and surpasses it.

Appearance is a beautiful unfiltered orange color.

Smell is tropical and juicy. Orange is there, but also tropical fruits.

Taste is an explosion of flavor. Orange, Tangerine, and tropical fruit - you name it and it's there. Juicy juicy juicy beer - and with just the right amount of malt backbone behind it. This is the best tasting IPA I've ever had. I don't think it's possible to make one better - and I've had almost every top IPA on draft in the US.

If you have the opportunity to get your hands on this beer, do it!

Poured from a tallboy can. Comes in a gorgeous hazy orange color. Looks like orange juice with spot on carb and a beautiful fluffy finger and a half of off white head. The nose is hoppy oranges, pineapple, mango, and some pine..the taste follows suit. Wow..what a brilliant beer. Tastes like hoppy orange pineapple juice. I'm blown away. The hype is real. Such a creamy mouthfeel. Might be better than focal banger.

4.73/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark amber, completely hazed color, with a decent, bubbly head.

Smells utmost juicy, of lime infused orange lemonade and an intriguing amount of grass. The aromas are very focused on the beers juiciness, which makes it perfect for a warmer day, revealing peach pulp among a pleasant dankness.

Has a soft mouthfeel till the end, in which a lively, very bubbly carbonation creates an outstanding refreshment, coating up a distinct hoppiness.

Tastes of a soft fruitiness, entangled in dough whitebread malts, inviting the palate to a fantastic, soft mouthfeel. Its initial softness turns into a pleasant dank flavor, revealing wet grass, amped up by unripe orange peel and tangerine pulp. The malts then develop a natural sweetness, resulting from ripe orange, balanced by crisp lemon peel. Finishes with an outstandingly pleasant, exotic, fruitiness, sparkly carbonation and fitting, well pronounced maltiness which doesn't turn too sweet at no point.

Stunning, extreme rich, exuberant taste profile, leaving no desire unfullfilled as for what to expect from an ipa. Features a generous fruitiness, which offers up a great depth of hoppy flavors, perfectly illustrated by profound malts, which supports the gentle bitterness outstandingly well.

4.84/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12oz Can poured into my tulip glass

A: no pulp slightly darker OJ with bubbles

S: So Tropical and fruity with good citrus

T: similar to smell but with more fruit, good malt backbone makes this a balanced IPA, love the citrus and resin on the backend

F: Juicy is all I really need to say, love the church walls this made in my tulip glass.

O: I need more of this! sucks that I'm in WI because I would make this my dangerous session IPA

One of the best IPAs I've ever had. I think the only other IPA that I like better is Green IPA, also from Tree House. Everything TH is just SO top notch, I'm not sure how they are not considered the best brewery in USA!

Tropical and citrusy blast in your face. If you have not ever tried this beer, do whatever you can to acquire some because every beer drinker has to try this one! It will become the beer that you will judge every other beer by!

4.88/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This might be my favorite ipa. Better from a fresh growler than a fresh can. There's a bit more pine out of the can, not really a negative, but I do prefer my ipas (or at least IPAs of this style) to be a bit more fruity.

Drinks, looks, and smells like the best orange juice a beer drinker could imagine. Because, you know, it's beer.

This is certainly the most balanced IPA I have had. I do not get the orange juice flavor everyone else seems to get. Citrusy, yes, but not like I am drinking tropicana. It is insanely crushable, the hops do not over power. I like hoppy beers, but this is so smooth.

Only regret... I only have one to drink! Worth all the hype, go trade for some!

4.71/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is an elite beer in every way.

Taste, Smell, Appearance.

I prefer this to Heady Topper any day of the wk.

Strong fresh squeezed orange taste that I really enjoy. Hops are perfectly suited for this IPA

Julius from Tree House Brewing Company