Julius | Tree House Brewing Company

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States
treehousebrew.com

Style: American IPA

Bursting with 1.6 oz per gallon of American hops, Julius is loaded with notes of passionfruit, mango, and citrus. At 6.8% alcohol, it is refreshing and freakishly drinkable.

Added by Jason on 10-17-2012

Reviews: 529 | Ratings: 3,404

Poured from a 16oz can into a teku glass. Pours a little cloudy with a fluffy white head. Smells of citrus, passion fruit, melon and peach. Tastes very citrusy and fruity with a little hop punch at the end. WOW it begs for another sip. This one is a GEM!!

Wow. Just wow. My second ever 5 on BA. Canned on 9/2. Pours an absolutely beautiful murky, hazy, cloudy, orange and peach. The nose is stunning. I could use this stuff as cologne every day. Orange, peach, mango, tangerine, passion fruit, so tropical and citrusy, just bursting out of my tulip. The taste doesn't disappoint. Perfectly sweet orange and peach upfront, transforms into a luscious mango before finishing with juicy tangerine. If the taste wasn't amazing enough, the mouth feel is possibly my favorite of any beer to date. It has a creamy and mouth covering feel that goes down so smooth and leaves a nice bitter tangerine aftertaste in your mouth. Will definitely seek out any tree house I can get my hands on after this experience.

I really liked this one. I have had it a couple of times now. Hoppy with a unique flavor that is fantastic. One of the most unique IPAs that I have had. I can see why this has such a huge following!!

The beer pours an apricot syrup.
As soon as the can is opened dank orangey, papaya fruit rolls out.
Tastes like you are sucking on a citrusy hop starburst. The mouthfeel is deceptively smooth for a beer that is this sticky. Slight dankness, but the most flavor is a pungent sweet orange juice. I would give this beer to someone who says they don't like IPA's because they are too bitter.

Julius is perfection in a glass. I don't know how the guys at TreeHouse do it, but this beer is one of the few that lives up to the hype and surpasses it.

Appearance is a beautiful unfiltered orange color.

Smell is tropical and juicy. Orange is there, but also tropical fruits.

Taste is an explosion of flavor. Orange, Tangerine, and tropical fruit - you name it and it's there. Juicy juicy juicy beer - and with just the right amount of malt backbone behind it. This is the best tasting IPA I've ever had. I don't think it's possible to make one better - and I've had almost every top IPA on draft in the US.

If you have the opportunity to get your hands on this beer, do it!

The can I had was apparently from a June batch and I was still seriously impressed with this beer. Citrus notes still strong, hazy pour with plenty of carbonation leaving silky lacing. My wife even loved it which for her is a rare thing since she hardly touches beer at all. I would love to try some of this fresh!
Update: Had a month old can yesterday and it was sheer bliss. Perfect 5!

Awesome fruit forward IPA, citrus, peach, smooth and hoppy... creamy finish... just awesome! Put this on tap in my basement and i'm a 300lb alcoholic in no time!

A: Hazey and turbid just the way I like them.
S: Tropical notes with Orange, Pineapple and mango on the forefront.
T: Absolutely phenomenal, everything Id want an IPA to taste like, absolute fruit bomb with a slight bitterness on the end.
M:Nice and Creamy
O: Easily one of the best IPA's being produced right now anywhere,and a personally favorite of mine.

The beer you would give a youth soccer team at half time.

The beer pours like homogenized pulpy organize juice, and as the precious liquid is hitting the glass wild aromas are emerging and you can smell it from a couple feet away. (Like really how does Tree House do this? As a home brewer I am stunned every time)

The beer is a robust orange color and the nose is juicy orange (no lemon or grapefruit at all) with a pleasant rotting hop quality to it. Now when I smell it I am 99 percent sure they are using Simcoe in there somewhere, which means I need to use Simcoe in my hazy IPA recipe.

The taste is lucious, mouth watering, and there is just hoppy orange juice with virtually no hop bitterness at the end, just more succulentness (is that a word? Now it is!)

Julius, you do me right.

An absolutely amazing IPA. This is full of cirtus and so juicy. So glad I finally got a chance to try this beer. Probably the best IPA I have ever had!

Perfect across the board. I don't rate here much anymore but have been having a lot of NE style IPAs lately (lawson, trill, veil, tired hands etc.) and this is one where I'd give a perfect score on the BA scale. Flat out worth the hype and acclaim.

11/16 can, complete haze. Looks like orange juice. Gorgeous head, retention, lacing.

Nose is hop juice, flavor and feel follow. Huge and perfect in every way.

Here it is, the last of a 4-pack. I already know it's the best IPA I've ever had, and the only IPA to which I've given all 5s, but now I'll do a formal review. 16 oz. can into a tulip glass.

A - This thing really pours like orange juice. And not Tropicana; I mean the fresh squeezed stuff. It looks like a peach if the skin of a peach were liquefied. It's really an unbelievable color. It just brightens up the room.

N - Peach juice. Tangerine juice. Juicy juicy juicy. It's the juiciest beer I've ever smelled. Not quite sure how they do this.

T - Gosh, the flavors and maltiness and hoppiness are just blended together so perfectly. It's orange hop juice with a hint of alcohol. It's clean on the finish, and just unbelievably drinkable. It's just so damn impressive. And I REALLY don't like IPAs very much. I would drink one of these every day.

M - As with all the rest of the TH line, this thing immediately froth-ifies in my mouth. It coats everywhere and goes down incredibly smoothly. Extremely well-crafted.

O - There you have it, folks. A perfect IPA. A perfect beer.

A fresh pint can poured into a tulip glass. Can is undated but this can is from last weeks release.

Look: Basically looks like a cross between orange and pineapple juice. The pour left about a finger of head which dissipated rather quickly.

Smell: A massive array of tropical fruits

Taste: It's about what you expect from the aroma. Just more and more tropical fruits and get next to no bitterness at the finish

The feel and overall of this beer is off the charts and it is well deserving of it's 100 score on beer advocate.

Just ridiculously incredible in every way. Looks like a glass of extra pulp orange juice with a ton of lacing. It smells like a tropical fruit smoothy and tastes even better. The mouthfeel is creamy and prefect. It blows my mind that one brewery can make so many perfect beers. This is at the top of the list with king j, doppelganger, and very hazy.

This beer is something else. The one word that I will forever associate with Julius is FRESH! It tastes so dang fresh. The hops smell as though you were holding them fresh picked in your hands. Seriously. The flavor is off the charts and for a sub 7% abv ipa, it is packed full of hop flavor! With all that being said, this beer isn't a hop bomb like a west coast style. Its well balanced like Heady topper with a touch of sweetness to even things out. One of my favorite IPAs of all time. wow.

Poured from a tallboy can. Comes in a gorgeous hazy orange color. Looks like orange juice with spot on carb and a beautiful fluffy finger and a half of off white head. The nose is hoppy oranges, pineapple, mango, and some pine..the taste follows suit. Wow..what a brilliant beer. Tastes like hoppy orange pineapple juice. I'm blown away. The hype is real. Such a creamy mouthfeel. Might be better than focal banger.

I had this fresh from the can. Absolutely bursting with flavor. It was extremely juicy on the nose and palate with a pleasing thick mouth feel. The finish was more juice balanced with hops.

this is maybe the best their is. pours a dark hazy orange, aroma is just orange and orange zest. mouthfeel is unreal. the taste is epic citrus bursting through and beautiful on the palate. Everytime I have one I am more impressed.

Look - Vibrant Orange, opaque and pours with a nice head
Smell - Subtle, but fruity. Doesn't overpower you're senses
Taste - Amazing, hoppy, but not so much that it prevents your from tasting the citrus notes
Feel - Goes down smooth, delights your sense. It's a joy to drink this

I went in with pretty high expectations haivng had other Tree House beers and with the buzz around it. I can honestly say that this beer goes above and beyond and knocks it out of the park. I tried as much as possible to savor the experience and make it last, but you just want to take another sip and before you know it its gone.

Smells like citrus. Looks like fresh squeezed orange juice. So smooth and the hops shine like bright stars. Incredible beer that I wish I could get more of.

How could a beer ever live up to this hype? Incredibly Julius does. If there's a perfect India Pale Ale, Tree House has apparently solid their souls to the devil for the recipe. Stunning color, aroma, massive citrus flavor, but the key here is that while many great IPAs push the citrus envelope, there's another layer of complexity in this beer. Perhaps its the water profile, the hop bill and schedule, house yeast, but this beer is truly exceptional and nearly in a category all its own.

Seriously, This is one of the best IPA's you would ever try. The juiciness and bitterness blend so well and its so drinkable for 6.8% its scary good.

A-Beautiful hazy Orange. almost a finger head with some lacing.

N-WOW! Tangerine,Mango,Passion Fruit making a party in my nose. Those hops characters are something else.

T-Those tropical fruits are just dancing all over my tongue. Tangerine,Mango,Grapefruit,Passion fruit, and got some peach in there too. The malts are very subtle. Just a perfect juicy beer.

M-So smooth. Alcohol barely detectable. Just awesome stuff.

O-In my opinion just PERFECT.

This is the perfect IPA in my view. It takes a couple of cans to truly appreciate this brew because I initially thought it didn't live up to the hype after the first can/sip. And this is partly due to its complexity. I love the fruit in this but what separates this beer from the rest is the herbal character. You almost feel healthy drinking this. Go drink this before Tree House expands further and, God forbid, something changes about this beer (knock on wood).

I almost wanted to be letdown by this beer. But I do have to say by no means was I disappointed. Pours murky looking like fresh squeezed orange juice. Smell of citrus (orange, pineapple), taste follows suit with some dank. Great hop profile with tropical fruit juiciness. I'd recommend to any hop head and then some.

One of the best beers on the planet. I have been lucky enough to travel the US for many years for me job and have tried most of the other brews on this top list and i always go back to thinking of how amazing this beer is.This is the BEST IPA ive ever had. I am so excited for them to begin canning in the next coming months and get my hands on some more.

Julius from Tree House Brewing Company