Julius | Tree House Brewing Company

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States
treehousebrew.com

Style: American IPA

Bursting with 1.6 oz per gallon of American hops, Julius is loaded with notes of passionfruit, mango, and citrus. At 6.8% alcohol, it is refreshing and freakishly drinkable.

Added by Jason on 10-17-2012

#13

Ratings: 4,231 |  Reviews: 663
3.62/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

This isn't a beer, it's a gimmick. OK, it is a beer by definition, but it's still a gimmick. The bright fruitiness is infatuating, but lacks the complexities of other beers in the category (American DIPA).

Tasted 2 weeks after purchasing fresh from the brewery. Poured into a tulip glass, and let warm up a few minutes. It's a great beer, not sure if it's worth the effort or price. Copious amount of late addition hops don't create the complexity that other DIPAs have. The rage is really about the fruitiness, insanely intense flavors, without the bitterness.

L: Opaque/cloudy, this is the new normal for this region and I'm still getting used to it. Orangish copper. This amount of cloudiness makes me nervous about the yeast farts I'll have later tonight. I actually wonder if it really is suspended yeast or maybe they mixed some highly refined flour into the beer or something. (I've had some of this beer that sat for several months before tasting and it was just as cloudy and limited sediment)
S: No different from the other reviewers: tropical fruits such as passion fruit (or, passion fruit nectar, I've never smelled real passion fruit), apricot, and a hint of pine tree resin. Still nervous about the smell of the farts I may have later. Good thing I'm already married.
T: Lots of tropical/Hawaiian fruit nectar, but a bit more bitter than nectar. I kind of feel like if I want a glass of tropical fruit or Hawaiian fruit juice I would get a glass of that. But this is drier, not crisp but balanced. As the flavor dissipates, piney notes come forward. Then you get the bitterness. But not a lot.
M: Thick. It's dry so doesn't leave a residue, though there is some oiliness from all the hops, and the flavor lingers a long time.
O: There's a lot of hype about this beer. But it's clearly a trick of late hopping a copious amount of hops. The flavor is unique compared to other high profile American DIPAs, but there isn't a complexity that I would expect.

3.67/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.67/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

just muddled a bit by a flour like for taste. It's a good beer and no doubt my particular was not the standard bearer for what Julius should be looking forward to trying again soon.

3.69/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.5

3.7/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.72/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

I honestly.... was let down by this beer.

I actually like this style of IPA. Love the hazy, unfiltered, low carb, mega dry-hopped IPA... but for some reason I was very put off by the "old" malt tasting.... flavor... of this beer. It tasted like an IPA that has been sitting around for about 2 months.

It lacked flavor and very muted nose as well. Date on the can was 1-21-2016 (so about... 11 days old)

This isn't a bad beer at all, but to call it world class? In my books - no.

3.72/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.74/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.74/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark orange with a thin white head, not the lighter orange, more juicy color I was expecting
Smells "juicy", mostly of citrus
taste is hoppy and a bit sweet with a slight bitterness at the end of the sip
feel is soft and not overly carbonated
overall, not a beer I'd go out of my way for. I've had it once from a growler and once from the can, both very fresh and it hasn't lived up to it's hype for me.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

I have had this 3 times now, can, growler, and then growler again.

A: An orange haze, about half an inch of head, retaining well.

S: tropical goodness, lots of orange, mango, papaya.

T: A little hop bitterness up front, slight orange taste, lots of malt flavor, and not very balanced. This leans more towards the malty side, with you wishing there was more of this orange hop flavor that the can suggests.

M: very creamy, moderate carbonation.

Overall: This is a huge let-down. I went into acquiring this beer with huge expectations, and thought that maybe my canned version was sub-par so I sought out the growler version. A good IPA at best, don't believe the hype, go after Tree House's other awesome offerings like the Curiosity series, Haze, Double Shot or the elusive Good Morning.

3.76/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev -19.1%

Don't get me wrong, this is a tasty IPA. I like hazy IPA's but this just looks like flat orange juice. I've it had within two weeks of canning on several occasions, and have consistently found it under carbonated. IT has some great citrus and tropical fruit flavors, but I can't really get past the mouthfeel with this beer. It simply doesn't deserve the hype it gets, Tree House has several better IPAs.

3.78/5  rDev -18.9%