Julius | Tree House Brewing Company

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States
treehousebrew.com

Style: American IPA

Bursting with 1.6 oz per gallon of American hops, Julius is loaded with notes of passionfruit, mango, and citrus. At 6.8% alcohol, it is refreshing and freakishly drinkable.

Added by Jason on 10-17-2012

#15

Ratings: 3,762 |  Reviews: 593
3.85/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.86/5  rDev -17.2%

Growler pour at Woodshop 8 held at The Hermosillo in Los Angeles, CA.

Pours a murky orange with a foamy tan head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, citrus zest, and herbal hop aromas. Taste is much the same with earthy, herbal hop flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer that has a slightly better hop presence in the flavor in my opinion.

3.86/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.87/5  rDev -17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

look: 2 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is a difficult beer to rate. By style guidelines this beer falls on its face for appearance. While not bad to look at, it's a murky orange pour. Can't give it good numbers for that.
Aroma is nice, however, and goes well with the style. Tropical with hints of citrus. Notes of "green" stems. Taste is good, too although the fruits not as salient as in the nose. The feel isn't quite right. A bit light, not much bitterness yet some tannin, probably not from hops. Overall a good beer. Would not trade for it again, nor seek it out. Just not my thing.

3.88/5  rDev -16.7%

Either this batch is not their best or the New England reviewers and the brothers are losing sight of what's good. This beer has not lived up to the hype. It's unique but not in all good ways. This batch was made September 27th, 2016.

The look is a standard unfiltered hazy New England IPA, goldenrod in color with nice white head and good lacing. I'm not a huge fan of suspended proteins and polyphenols in my IPAs but it doesn't totally take away from the look.

The nose is POG (passion, orange, guava) with hints pineapple, pine needles and bark. An intriguing combination.

The flavor profile is a little different from the nose with the primary taste being orange peel with notes of pineapple and pine. There is a subtle metallic taste as well. There is a lingering heat to this beer which is odd because it's not a high point beer. Again interesting but not necessarily in a good way.

The mouthfeel is very nice. Medium bodied beer with just the right amount of carbonation.

Overall, it tastes good but not world-class. Next to no standard IPA features in this beer and the unique features are not all pleasant.

3.88/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.89/5  rDev -16.5%

3.89/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

3.9/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.9/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.91/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.91/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.92/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Alright. The IPA at the top of the heap for the moment. So stoked to be able to try this. After several cans, I think I'm ready to sketch some thoughts.

Rather than go through the parts, I'll start with the sum: Julius is fruity as hell. But, to my palate, there's just not enough depth of hop flavor, nor balancing bitterness. It suffers under the weight of its richly decadent body, fruity esters combining with sweet malt to make this more like sweetened hop cake than bracing, refreshing IPA. I say all this with some reserve. Julius is not a bad beer in the least. And my guess is that this is exactly the sort of beer the brewers set out to create, so mission accomplished there. For me, though, it just doesn't work as well as so many other beloved IPAs.

Now, as to the parts themselves, Julius is a deep, dark orange in the glass, darn near opaque. Under artificial lighting, it's not especially attractive. It has a nice foamy head to start, though retention isn't great (unlike its intrastate rivals, Trillium, whose brews tend to have head for days). The nose is the strong suit, at least at the start, offering a nice blast of peachy fruitiness, with perhaps some citric notes thrown in too. Unfortunately, once all those dry hop volatiles evaporate, J. gets a bit oversaturatedly fruity and, rather surprisingly, malt forward. Palate is heavy, dense even, and drinkability is not especially high. There's some backing bitterness in there, but it's restrained, letting the fruity esters and hops dominate. In the end, Julius is befitting of its name, reminding me of some tropical-flavored iteration of an Orange Julius, thick, fruity, rich.

So cool to try this brew, which in some ways typifies the NEIPA. For me, I'd gladly sacrifice some of that oversaturated fruitiness for more drinkability and more depth/acuity of flavor. But, for those in the mood for some fruity hop excess, this'll do the trick.

3.92/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I felt like this was a great beer. But I think I may have got an old can from the guy I traded with because I don't feel close to how everyone else seems to feel on this. It just wasn't bursting with all these mango and papaya that I have been reading about. I still think it is a great beer but I believe it to be over-hyped. But I will definitely be seeking this out again to make sure I just didn't get an off can.

3.93/5  rDev -15.7%

3.94/5  rDev -15.5%

3.95/5  rDev -15.2%

3.95/5  rDev -15.2%

3.96/5  rDev -15%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Very hazy orange body. Big white head with nice lacing and a chunky collar.

Smell - Orange hops. Metallic sort of aroma. Some toasty malt.

Taste - Tastes much better. Tropical fruits. Orange. Lightly toasty cracker malt. A bit of sweetness backs it up.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Kinda creamy. Medium carbonation.

Overall - This is good, but I don't get the crazy high ratings it has. I could definitely drink lots of this and would be happy drinking it all the time, but not sure it's top 50 caliber.

3.96/5  rDev -15%

Thank you, Patrick. Canned 11/05.

Pouring a hazy orange with a dense dirty white head with very good retention and lacing, this looks great. The nose is a giant blend of tropical fruit with mango, papaya, passionfruit , cooked oranges, fleshy, pulpy and delicious. Doughy malt is present. The palate opens with a riot of hop flavor, just tons and tons of fruit. Mango, peach, papaya, baked oranges galore with a definite doughy malt character, a little bit like cereal? Not unlike other New England IPAs I've has on this trip east, it's a little messy, lacking in the clean bitterness that ties together all the hop flavors. What bitterness is present is a little minty/ spruce like, interesting but a touch unfocused. Medium in body with a beautiful creamy carbonation, this beer had a long finish, mostly fruity with a little bitterness on the finish. Interestingly, the bitterness does also have a mild astringency, mildly aspirin like. Solid. I'd drink a ton if I could.

3.96/5  rDev -15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Look, this beer is legendary after only a few years. There's no doubt that it's truly unique. I don't think any other beer tastes quite like it. I had my first one back in August of 2015, and while it was very good at the time, I think I let the hype around it build it up to be something that frankly, no beer can be.

In the (almost) year since my first Julius I fought long and hard to make a trip to Treehouse for more. In the interim friends brought me Haze, Doppleganger, and Alter Ego, all of which I liked very much. The taste of Julius faded from my memory but the idea of Julius just grew bigger and bigger in my mind.

Last weekend I finally had the chance to grab a growler of Julius from Treehouse. The trip was a mixed experience. Lines were long, parking attendants were grumpy, servers were overwhelmed, but it was a beautiful day so standing in line a bit didn't matter. At last, there it was. Approaching the first pour from my growler with all the anticipation of a sixteen-year-old boy with his girlfriend at his house and his parents out for the first time, I was . . . underwhelmed. Sure it's good. But it doesn't quite taste like beer should taste to me. When people describe this beer as tasting like orange juice they are not exaggerating. We always read that this or that beer smells like mango or peach, grass or brine . . . whatever. And sure we can imagine some of that in those brews. But really, Julius does taste and feel a lot like orange juice. I can imagine Nate Lanier, original brewer of Julius, rubbing his hands together and laughing like a mad scientist as he realizes that he has concocted the perfect potion. It's beer, but wait, it tastes like juice.

For this alone you have to try it. Nothing else comes close to the actual flavor and texture of Julius. It is one of a kind. I do find it very, very sweet though. Perhaps my palate has changed in the months since I first tasted it but there are several IPAs and double IPAs that I like more.

For it's uniqueness I would give it a 10/10. And kind of like the way that everyone should really try the uni with the quail egg on top the first time they eat sushi, just because . . . I think everyone who likes beer should try Julius. But for overall taste and drinkability, it's not something I would reach for regularly or even go out of my way for again.

Julius from Tree House Brewing Company