Julius | Tree House Brewing Company

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States
treehousebrew.com

Style: American IPA

Bursting with 1.6 oz per gallon of American hops, Julius is loaded with notes of passionfruit, mango, and citrus. At 6.8% alcohol, it is refreshing and freakishly drinkable.

Added by Jason on 10-17-2012

Reviews: 530 | Ratings: 3,409

this is maybe the best their is. pours a dark hazy orange, aroma is just orange and orange zest. mouthfeel is unreal. the taste is epic citrus bursting through and beautiful on the palate. Everytime I have one I am more impressed.

Look - Vibrant Orange, opaque and pours with a nice head
Smell - Subtle, but fruity. Doesn't overpower you're senses
Taste - Amazing, hoppy, but not so much that it prevents your from tasting the citrus notes
Feel - Goes down smooth, delights your sense. It's a joy to drink this

I went in with pretty high expectations haivng had other Tree House beers and with the buzz around it. I can honestly say that this beer goes above and beyond and knocks it out of the park. I tried as much as possible to savor the experience and make it last, but you just want to take another sip and before you know it its gone.

Smells like citrus. Looks like fresh squeezed orange juice. So smooth and the hops shine like bright stars. Incredible beer that I wish I could get more of.

How could a beer ever live up to this hype? Incredibly Julius does. If there's a perfect India Pale Ale, Tree House has apparently solid their souls to the devil for the recipe. Stunning color, aroma, massive citrus flavor, but the key here is that while many great IPAs push the citrus envelope, there's another layer of complexity in this beer. Perhaps its the water profile, the hop bill and schedule, house yeast, but this beer is truly exceptional and nearly in a category all its own.

Seriously, This is one of the best IPA's you would ever try. The juiciness and bitterness blend so well and its so drinkable for 6.8% its scary good.

A-Beautiful hazy Orange. almost a finger head with some lacing.

N-WOW! Tangerine,Mango,Passion Fruit making a party in my nose. Those hops characters are something else.

T-Those tropical fruits are just dancing all over my tongue. Tangerine,Mango,Grapefruit,Passion fruit, and got some peach in there too. The malts are very subtle. Just a perfect juicy beer.

M-So smooth. Alcohol barely detectable. Just awesome stuff.

O-In my opinion just PERFECT.

This is the perfect IPA in my view. It takes a couple of cans to truly appreciate this brew because I initially thought it didn't live up to the hype after the first can/sip. And this is partly due to its complexity. I love the fruit in this but what separates this beer from the rest is the herbal character. You almost feel healthy drinking this. Go drink this before Tree House expands further and, God forbid, something changes about this beer (knock on wood).

I almost wanted to be letdown by this beer. But I do have to say by no means was I disappointed. Pours murky looking like fresh squeezed orange juice. Smell of citrus (orange, pineapple), taste follows suit with some dank. Great hop profile with tropical fruit juiciness. I'd recommend to any hop head and then some.

One of the best beers on the planet. I have been lucky enough to travel the US for many years for me job and have tried most of the other brews on this top list and i always go back to thinking of how amazing this beer is.This is the BEST IPA ive ever had. I am so excited for them to begin canning in the next coming months and get my hands on some more.

Julius
Tree House Brewing Company
Appearance:
Thick and murky. Similar to a really chunky homemade apple cider, but more opaque. The lacing is a vibrant chunky mural that might turn to concrete if you let it sit.
Smell:
The second the first gaseous particles released the can it was in my nose from 3 ft. away full of pine, citrus, and tart.
Taste:
Wildly subtle and pleasant up front for the incredible complexity. Quickly follows with orange, bitter citrus, sweet citrus, sweet hop, and tangy peach. Similar to a fruit bucket with only your favorite citrusy things.
Mouthfeel:
About as chalky and opaque as it looks in texture it is on your tongue, although chalky in the best possible sense.
Overall: 5/5
No doubt about it. While I'm not sure how I'm supposed to forget about this beer I'm at least incredibly thankful to have tried it. It's the best IPA that I've ever had.

One word to sum up this beer... outstanding!! As of late, even with the amazing beers I've been trying, this is one of the best beers I've ever had. The beer's flavors and aromas are awesome and it is ridiculously drinkable (straight out of the can, or served in proper glassware). Treehouse definitely killed it with this one! Cheers!

Been seeing the Sculpin IPA on the shelf all around Boston, scared off by the price at $15/6 pack, read some reviews, thought I give it a chance. And, JULIUS is SOOOOO much bettah. Just wish I lived closer to Tree House or it lived closer to me. I love going there and the team there is really great.

This was an absolute outstanding brew. Smelled of citrus, pineapples, oranges, mangoes and a little apricots. Taste was smooth and packed with punch. Mouthfeel was very good and finished with light bitterness. An absolutely great beer. Would drink over and over again.

This beer is an easy 5. There is nothing like it and Treehouse really sets the standard for Juicy IPA's.
Pours a bright hazy orange with about a half finger of head. This beer looks and smells like orange juice...but way better...its insane...it smells insane. The taste follows suit with a mild grassy hop bitterness that compliments this beer in every way but for the most part it's all juice...pillowy soft ridiculous hoppy juice. I'm sure this beer isn't for everyone but it is for me. I still prefer Green over Julius but to me they are both world class beers.

WOW. So hazy, citrusy and delicious. An absolute treat of an IPA, that is well worth the hype that it receives. The name serves it well. Canned on 2/11/16

Invited to drink a glass with a friend who just picked up some beer at the brewery. Incredible. Fresh, citrus, amazing after taste. One of the best I've had.

The best IPA being brewed today. Yes, better the RRBC and HT. Full of flavor, aromatic, complex to the taste. Every time I taste something else within this perfect libation. Mission Accomplished.

750 ml growler filled 9-2-2016.

My IPA quest has reached its culmination with this beer. I cannot imagine a more delicious IPA (although I'm hoping the growler of Green and can of Alter Ego sitting in my fridge might give Julius a run for its money). I drank a can of King Julius the night before enjoying this growler, and for me Julius was superior in two ways: head retention/lacing, and virtually on alcohol discernible in the taste or aroma. Not a traditional IPA by any means but this beer is perfection nevertheless.

I can't really add much to the other reviews, just a phenomenal beer that I'm glad I finally got to try! Juicy, hazy , hoppy deliciousness, hard to beat this one!

A huge thank you to Matthew for hooking me up with a can of this. Hazy, light orange body with a white head. The aroma...oh my. I actually giggled like a little schoolgirl. And the flavor delivers everything the aroma promised. Juicy, dank, resinous, citric hop character. Beyond delicious, this beer exceeded my lofty expectations. One of the best beverages I have ever had. The best IPA I have ever had. Just wow.

You have heard all the hype. It is real. I got this in a trade in the DC area. Super fresh and juicy. The aroma is strong as soon as you pop it open and the taste backs it up.

Just had this for the 4th time...next to a ZD and Congress St.
ZD literally was left in the dust next to these two juice bombs.
This particular Julius had about 4 weeks on it...and it was better than I remember it being on tap or a couple of weeks out canned.
This beer is special and untouchable. Too easy to drink.

This is certainly the most balanced IPA I have had. I do not get the orange juice flavor everyone else seems to get. Citrusy, yes, but not like I am drinking tropicana. It is insanely crushable, the hops do not over power. I like hoppy beers, but this is so smooth.

Only regret... I only have one to drink! Worth all the hype, go trade for some!

Again I got this one from Hopsouras when he was on a business trip up in the NE. He said it had just rolled off the canning line when he was there and sent it express to me! Unbelievable! And it is Beeradvocates #1 American IPA. (I agree!)

A - Awesome dark orange color. Completely opaque with a perfect, fine white head and incredible lacing.

S - Super pungent hop fragrance with lots of orange, mango, pineapple, pine, and dankness. Absolutely amazing in the nose. Just like the best IPA should smell like. No getting around it there is a ton of hops squeezed into this beer.

T - Unbelievable flavor with the strongest orange, tangerine, passion fruit hop character predominant followed by mango, pineapple, dank, and pine notes. It is very smooth and refreshing with a light malt sweetness in the middle but very minimal compared to the hop blast. The hop bitterness is also present but not a wrecker like a DIPA, really just a nice palate cleanser.

M - Medium mouth-feel with moderate carbonation. Perfect IPA feel with enough resin and malt to give it a good body but enough carb and bitterness to keep it crisp and refreshing.

Overall, I would agree with most tasters and say that this is the best (SINGLE) IPA I've ever had. Like I said the tremendous orange hop character is awesome and there is still a ton of tropical fruits, pine, and resin to really make your taste buds pop! The body and balance is great with the malt backbone. The bitterness is clean and crisp without any bite. I definitely stress the "single" IPA aspect since there isn't the alcohol, thickness, or bitter bite that comes with a DIPA but make no mistake they used "DOUBLE" the hops for this awesome beer!

Glass- Tulip

Ahhh Julius. This is my favorite IPA from treehouse, by far. Dark orange, hazy, murky deliciousness. Immediately hit with nectarine, grapefruit, peach and mango. Feels creamy and has perfect carbonation. I could drink this any day, any time, and in any weather. Perfect beer in my opinion!

Stunning. I lived in western MA for 6 years before stumbling across this dumbfoundingly good IPA. They're out in Monson MA, i.e. the middle of nowhere. Survived the only tornado in western MA in the last 60 years? Worth whatever trip you have to make. Then go visit hill farmstead in St Johnsbury! Can't put to words how good this is, just drink it.

Julius from Tree House Brewing Company