Julius | Tree House Brewing Company

JuliusJulius

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Bursting with 1.6 oz per gallon of American hops, Julius is loaded with notes of passionfruit, mango, and citrus. At 6.5% alcohol, it is refreshing and freakishly drinkable.

Added by Jason on 10-17-2012

Reviews: 463 | Ratings: 3,034
4.95/5  rDev +6.7%

L-Poured from 9 day old can into pint. Pours hazy orange with limited transparency

S-DANK DANK DANK. If they made cologne that smelled like this beer I'd be that guy spray myself 25x a morning. Smells similar to how I think heaven will.

T-Juice, hop, floral on repeat. Did I mention juice/hop/floral? The taste lives up to the ravaging smell. Great tag team combo akin to The Legion of Doom.

F-Dare I say dangerously drinkable? It's been like 900 degrees the last 2 weeks and this could be the go to beverage post lawn mow/trim. Sits light and goes down like melted hoppy floral butter sprinkled with smiles and kittens.

O-If you can't tell, this is my favorite beer ever (thru 7.23.16)(subject to future change). But you probably won't like it so if you come across any just send to me and I'll dispose accordingly to save you from disappointment/regret. ;) <--winky face

4.98/5  rDev +7.3%

Canned 7/13/16, drank 7/16/16. (UPDATED review: canned 8/2/16, consumed 8/12/16.)

A: Pours a glorious, almost entirely opaque dark orange (very similar hue to the darker shade of orange on the can, actually!). Soft puffy heady of tiny bubbles sticks around nicely. Thick lacing up the glass.

S: Bready yeast dominates, with heavy tropical notes of ripe peach, mango, and tangerine. Aromas really come out as it warms a bit.

T: Typical Tree House candied, bubble-gum-esque yeast up front. Then, the 'melange of citrus'... Orange and tangerine without the pucker-worthy astringency. Just straight up juice. Bit of piney herbaceousness shows up on the finish to perfectly round out the flavor profile. Julius is pretty much in a league of its own here.

M: Slightly thinner than Green and Alter Ego. Dangerously drinkable--not the slightest hint of alcohol. Medium minus bitterness on the finish with a touch of dryness makes you crave another sip almost immediately. Totally juice-like in terms of its drinkability.

O: My fourth Tree House beer after Alter Ego, Green, and Bright, in terms of ranking, Julius is second only to Green, in my opinion. It epitomizes the diverse flavor profile that Tree House has mastered--a perfect blend of tropical fruit, candied yeast, and floral, drying bitterness. If I'm going to get nit-picky, the mouthfeel isn't quite as full as Green, and the fruitiness isn't quite as in-your-face-from-the-first-sip. But it's for sure one of the tastiest and most beautiful IPAs I've ever had.

4.88/5  rDev +5.2%

Super cloudy, healthy lacing. Dank bitter hop nose. Expecting a big hop punch on the taste, but it's well balanced. Hoppy, citrusy and malty without being overly bitter, really easy to drink. Awesome beer.

4.72/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Julius will never get old. Had a week old can yesterday. Beautiful hazy orange pour. Smells juicy with some hop aroma. The taste is a good balance of hoppy bitterness and citrus melon. The mouthfeel is just stunning on this beer. So smooth. Even when at room temperature after sipping on it for a while, this beer still is still amazing.

4.93/5  rDev +6.3%

Opened from can and cosumed on the day it was canned.

Look; dark mango
Smell; fruity, hop presence is high, aromatic.
Taste; citric and smooth, not a juicy mango like other THs but very agreeable. Finish is perfect.
Feel; you can feel the cloudyness, similar to a hef.
Overall: great beer, Im blessed to live close to TH. Nothing like NE ipas right now.

4.74/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Growler from the brewery, pours cloudy orange gold color with a foamy off white head that was full of tiny bubbles and faded very slowly, leaving excellent foamy lacing coating the sides and rings as it went down.

Smells of grapefruit, lemon zest, orange peel, pineapple, guava, papaya, tropical fruit, caramel, brown sugar, clementine, peach, floral hops, white pepper, mango, coriander, toasted grains, biscuit, green apple, sweet malt and graham cracker. Some piney hops come through and add to the delicious citrus hoppy sweetness, bringing out more complexities as it warms. Really fresh smelling and quite inviting, as the hops burst out of the glass.

Taste has more biscuit, toasted grains, breads malts and graham cracker than the nose, with a strong citrus hop zest that showcases grapefruit, lemon, clementine, pineapple and dank piney hops. The second wave of flavor is packed with tropical fruit like papaya, guava and starfruit, easing into sharp floral hop spices with pepper, light coriander and brown sugar mixing in right before the citrus bitterness washes it all down. Nice level of bitterness to mask the ABV and still let the malt backbone maintain balance. The hops all taste super fresh and juicy, really well done in every way. Incredibly easy to drink.

Mouthfeel is creamy and almost buttery smooth, with mild carbonation, a medium body that leans towards chewy, letting the near perfect bitterness help it flow down and leave a hoppy aftertaste that's full of citrus fruit, malty sweetness and nice light floral spices. The line to get this growler was ridiculously long, but the beer is outstanding.

4.28/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

OK. A bit overhyped. I can taste orange but it is subtle. This drinks better than the Green but not as well as the Alter Ego. Its not as thick as I'd like for an IPA. Ok brew.

4.67/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Two fingers of creamy white foam, that slowly settle into about a quarter inch of pillowy goodness. Beautiful opaque orange, almost glows in the sunlight.

Smells of peach, sweet orange, guava, mango. True fruit bomb.

This is a hop showcase...all the flavors of the nose are present...not much of a malt backbone, but that's okay. It's the beer equivalent of biting into a ripe nectarine.

Nice level of carbonation, a little on the dry side, very drinkable.

4.36/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tons of mango and papaya in the aroma and taste. Amazing soft mouthfeel with a very dry finish. I love the mango but it's very one dimensional in that I don't get any other citrus or fruits besides the papaya. Truly a world class beer but this finally decides it for me that trillium is ahead of treehouse.

4.94/5  rDev +6.5%

Beer was sampled from a can and growler, both less than a week old. Review is from notes.

The growler Taste was off and I suspect it may have baked in a warehouse for too long during shipping, so the review will be for the canned Julius.

L: Unfiltered almost opaque orange color, what NE IPA are known for.

S: smell was subdued, not as strong as Very Hazy, only area lacking perfection.

T: Like a thick tropical juice, with a pleasant start, super smooth middle, and easy finish.

F: This was where the beer really blew me away, tingly sensation, the subtle bitterness blended with the tropical flavor felt just right.

O: The best NE style IPA I've had to date. I've found myself comparing all other NE IPAs against the perfect flavor curve that starts off evenly, peaks very high, then lets you down easy that Julius should be known for.

4.82/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I was there when they released the Jjjuliusss for the first time in cans. It was also my first time to TH as well. to be able drink the regular Julius and the Jjjuliusss I suspect might have been a rare "double". All in all I liked the J a little better than the Jjj. Not enough to write home about because when both were that good it's like splitting hairs. Wonderful taste, mouth feel and look when I poured into a Tree House glass. Loved the place and will, hopefully get back there.

3.96/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Look, this beer is legendary after only a few years. There's no doubt that it's truly unique. I don't think any other beer tastes quite like it. I had my first one back in August of 2015, and while it was very good at the time, I think I let the hype around it build it up to be something that frankly, no beer can be.

In the (almost) year since my first Julius I fought long and hard to make a trip to Treehouse for more. In the interim friends brought me Haze, Doppleganger, and Alter Ego, all of which I liked very much. The taste of Julius faded from my memory but the idea of Julius just grew bigger and bigger in my mind.

Last weekend I finally had the chance to grab a growler of Julius from Treehouse. The trip was a mixed experience. Lines were long, parking attendants were grumpy, servers were overwhelmed, but it was a beautiful day so standing in line a bit didn't matter. At last, there it was. Approaching the first pour from my growler with all the anticipation of a sixteen-year-old boy with his girlfriend at his house and his parents out for the first time, I was . . . underwhelmed. Sure it's good. But it doesn't quite taste like beer should taste to me. When people describe this beer as tasting like orange juice they are not exaggerating. We always read that this or that beer smells like mango or peach, grass or brine . . . whatever. And sure we can imagine some of that in those brews. But really, Julius does taste and feel a lot like orange juice. I can imagine Nate Lanier, original brewer of Julius, rubbing his hands together and laughing like a mad scientist as he realizes that he has concocted the perfect potion. It's beer, but wait, it tastes like juice.

For this alone you have to try it. Nothing else comes close to the actual flavor and texture of Julius. It is one of a kind. I do find it very, very sweet though. Perhaps my palate has changed in the months since I first tasted it but there are several IPAs and double IPAs that I like more.

For it's uniqueness I would give it a 10/10. And kind of like the way that everyone should really try the uni with the quail egg on top the first time they eat sushi, just because . . . I think everyone who likes beer should try Julius. But for overall taste and drinkability, it's not something I would reach for regularly or even go out of my way for again.

4.25/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very cloudy and rich looking. The color is whitish, dirty gold. Moderate head-- good streaking lace on the glass.

Very strong grapefruit rind aroma. A touch of fruitiness and evergreen. Powerful.

It looks thicker than the mouthfeel suggests. Good carbonation with an above average richness. Strong, biting citrus bitters in the swallow. Very little malt start--this is hop forward beer in every way. Loooong aftertaste. It doesn't fit into the extreme category, but the alcohol is warming and subtly present. It would be a "go back to" easily but may not crack my top ten.

4.8/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Just made my first trip to Treehouse today. Wednesday is can day and the line moved pretty fast I might say. Took about 25 minus and I was on my way home with 5 Pint cans of Julius and 5 pint cans of doppelgänger.

L - Poured into Weizen (hey it's what I got lol). Dark burnt orange color very solid, no transparency whatsoever

S - Dank, tropical, orange, pineapple, juice.

T - citrus explosion so damn good

F - smooth as a babies bottom (I can say that I'm a new Dad)

Overall one of the best beers I've had. Worth the drive. Can't wait to try doppelgänger tomorrow.

4.68/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Can 6/7/16 "The juice turns five"

Chugga-chugga-chugga, CHOO-CHOO! Hype train is coming through. This has been at the top of my desired attainable beers list for a while, and I finally got it today. There isn't anything that I can say about this that hasn't been repeated a thousand times in previous reviews, but I DID want to comment on just how drinkable this is. It's seriously like a citrus hop juice. Very smooth and not in any way harsh on the palate. Just overall awesome!

4.96/5  rDev +6.9%

Traded for a can back in April. To this day, still the best IPA I have ever had. Perfectly fruity characters with just the right amount of IPA mixed in. Could never have too much.

Beautiful orange color. Insanely juicy flavors, especially orange and mango. This beer is everything it's cracked up to be, just an insane IPA. As a homebrewer, I have no clue how they managed this. Note: drank one several weeks later after a road trip, it wasn't close to the same. Get it fresh, drink it fresh!

4.7/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Riding in with much acclaim, the bright and juicy American standard-strength IPA is fabled to boast the perfect medley of orange, mango and passionfruit character from hops alone more so than any thus far. Regardless of any place on a totem pole, excellence is expected.

And the excellence in Julius is realized starting with a creamy peach and golden blend of colors and airy textures. The beer's muddy appearance only works to make it more appetizing. Slow separation of ale to froth suggests a viscous character that carries over to a creamy, tangy, sweet and fruity taste just after a grassy, citrusy, herbal and piney scent starts the show.

Less grassy and herbal in taste, the flavors that blossom on the middle palate are abundant with all-things-orange. Tangerine, in all its tangy, fructose-sweet, vibrant glory springs to life with a zesty support of red grapefruit, lemon and lime. Tantalizing tropical fruits join the taste with pineapple and kiwi nuances. Smooth in the beer's fleeting taste, a sense of bitter sherbet with citrus rinds apply their final and lasting impressions.

Creamy and dry, the taste starts fullish and semi-dry, but trailing bitter, resinous and dry, the soft sappiness of freshly shaven pine links up with fragrant citrus peel for an evaporative texture and a nearly teeth-churning creamy tartness that aligns with sherbet desserts- if only those came in a high bitter version with near seven-percent alcohol to boot.

4.99/5  rDev +7.5%

Have to thank a friend of mine for the hook up. I'll keep it simple Phenomenal beer ! Yes go way out of your way to get it. Looks like orange juice, nose is extremely fruity and taste is the same. Damn near flawless.

I just happened to be near Tree House when Julius was available in cans! I picked up 6 cans and tried one as soon as I got home. The beer lived up to it's reputation! Incredible taste and aroma!

A: Hazey and turbid just the way I like them.
S: Tropical notes with Orange, Pineapple and mango on the forefront.
T: Absolutely phenomenal, everything Id want an IPA to taste like, absolute fruit bomb with a slight bitterness on the end.
M:Nice and Creamy
O: Easily one of the best IPA's being produced right now anywhere,and a personally favorite of mine.

4.71/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2.5 fingers of fine, white head with pitted, rolling surface. Opaque, pulpy tangerine body.

Sharp citrus flesh and ripe mango. A touch of underlying grass.

Follows the nose. Intense, but well balanced ripe, tropical fruit - mango, pineapple, and papaya. Underlying citrus flesh, specifically orange, and some citrus pith for bitterness. Finish is more ripe fruit and citrus pith. Tons of depth, but still well-balanced.

Full-bodied. Medium carbonation. Soft. Slightly sweet and sticky finish.

4.99/5  rDev +7.5%

This is the best IPA on the planet in my opinion. Julius is a hazy tangerine color with an incredible aroma and an off white finger head that lingers. Taste follows the nose, a tropical bomb of mango, tangerine, with absolute perfect balance. This beer is crushable and a true delight. .

4.78/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Big, juicy, tropical and incredibly complex. Nice three-way balance between malt, hops and citriuos taste. This beer is absolutely superb. The visuals are unspectacular but typical of this style and are quickly overlooked once the taste explosion starts.

Have to admit it was worth the 1.25 hour ride, 45 minute wait in line and dealing with pretentious beer attendants to get 10 cans but I will be back in line soon. I thought it was hilarious when we were in line and one of the treehouse constables came out to warn us that they were on the lookout for folks that were "sneaking" back in line for more beer....10 more cans....you can't make this s up....I pray that these guys don't screw this up when they move to the new brewery.

4.55/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours hazy bright yellow orange in color with one inch head. Taste is big jumping citrus. Peach, mango, and nge jump out. Light malty presence to balance the beer out. Super tasty, hoppy, but not super bitter. Nice when a beer lives up to the hype. I will make a journey to get this one again.

Julius from Tree House Brewing Company