King Julius | Tree House Brewing Company

King JuliusKing Julius

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

The holiday season has a way of stirring up nostalgia. In late 2012, we brewed King Julius on our original Brew Magic brewing system - a whole ten gallons of it! Despite the size of the batch, the memory of it is enormous in our hearts. The thought of it brings us back to our cozy Brimfield barn, with the wood stove cranking, the record player spinning, Santa Dean mulling about, and Lauren and Kim filling growlers out of a modified chest freezer in a small nook under a wooden staircase. As we continue to move forward in our journey it felt like the perfect time to pay homage to our beginnings. King Julius is our endeavor to marry our past with what we aspire to be in the future. King Julius is an American Double IPA brewed to be an exceptionally flavorful, juicy, and hop saturated beer while never tiring the palate. It’s vivid citrus aromas give way to flavors of orange creamsicle, mango smoothie, and a bounty of fresh tropical fruit. We find it to be supremely soft in the midst of an onslaught of flavor. . . A beer we are quite proud of.

Added by jlindros on 12-09-2012

Reviews: 91 | Ratings: 534
Reviews by rudzud:
4.77/5  rDev +0.6%

Beaten by JLindros. Been a loooong time for that. Seeing his review I am even more excited to try this beer.

A - Poured into my Duvel tulip a nice hazy golden orange juice hue. Really looks like a murky glass of orange juice atop which sat a nice creamy two finger head. It looks outstanding, however, the head fades rather quickly into a thin soapy blanket with ALOT less side lacing that I was expecting from the get go. Still great, but disappointing based off of that initial creamy head impression.

S - Now, I am not going to be as whimsical as JLindros in my review of the nose. I will say he is spot on with that aroma. It bursts out tropical fruits, just oozing out with mango and grapefruit. Some inviting tangerine along with juicy hops. All of this drowns out the malts quite pleasantly.

T - Yeaaah. This is pretty fucking good. Tons of hop oils here, but that takes a back burner to the flavour explosion going on in my mouth. Enormous mango here. Like those delicious Chinese mango gummy candies. Some light resin and faint pith, tangerine and grapefruit rind. There is some light bitterness (grapefruit) but the finish, the finish is a long lingering mango. Supernatural here.

M - I dont fathom how JLindros did not give this a 5. Sometimes his logic is most illogical. Medium bodied, light but faintly crisp carbonation. 8.3%? Yah, you fooled me. I've had cartons of orange juice (from concentrate) that tasted like they had more alcohol in it than this mouthfeel does. Absurd. EDIT: As this beer warms, some of the booze comes out just a tad. Wish I could go 4.75 but unfortunately cannot.

O - Overall this was an incredible beer. Really wish I did not have to work the days when they're brewery is open so I could go there in person and shake Nate's hand for this and Julius. Enjoy this breweries offerings while you can. Soon enough they WILL explode on the scene.

It looks nothing like the last version. Looks like a murkier Julius. Tastes like a triple dry hopped Julius with a little alcohol bite. Super juicy.
Poured from a 16oz can canned 12/3/15.
Nice burnt orange murkiness.
Smells orange and mango.
One of the juiciest beers I've ever had. Orange grapefruit and pineapple
So damn smooth, now this beer is a juice blanket.
I have found my new favorite DIPA.

4.9/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured this one in a snifter side-by-side with regular Julius. I know they aren't the same, but I wanted the comparison. The best way I can describe the difference is that the King is loaded with flavor and aroma. So if you have had Julius, try to imagine that (one of which that is already aromatic and flavorful) amped to the next level. Upon cracking open the can, I immediately was bombarded with tropical notes. The flavor is complex, but melon is the dominant feature. An awesome beer that only comes out a few times a year, this is worthy of trading for.

The appearance of this beautiful! Turbid, but cautious as not to appear "murky". Bright apricot/orange hue, just like the TH in the label. Stunner. #Hazefordaze

This is a beer I could smell for days. Tons of fresh squeezed pulpy OJ, mango and pineapple puree. Each sniff was even more complex, notes of guava, passion fruit, fruit stripe gum. Just an absolute explosion of tropical fruit juice, the best I've ever had for the style.

As far as the taste goes, this I tell you is even more complex. Served in a TG Teku 55F, this beer jumps out of the glass and into your mouth. Creamy, velvety with medium bitterness, this is truly like drinking a tropical smoothie. Takes the flavors of Julius into Green territory of tropical notes, has a nice soft OJ finish. Just a #gusher

Feel: Well, I already stated what dem feelz are like. Creamy, velvety, and pleasantly bitter.

Overall: The best of the best. Believe the hype. Best Double IPA I've ever had. #Hunnits

Everything about this beer screams DELICIOUS!
Highly pleasing to the senses, especially to taste or smell:

I'm blessed to be close enough to Treehouse and several other excellent breweries. This Beer Is in my Top 5 and my top 5 consists of about 15.

Pours an entirely clouded pineapple juice colored beer, with a one finger broad, bubbly head.

Smells of ripe oranges, peach pulp, mango and white lemon zest among a sherbet sweetness, resulting entirely from the hops. A kiwi supported dankness compliments the lemon, adding a citraic freshness to the nose. As simple as it is, there are no malts being recognizable on the nose. The fruits develop a fantastic depth by themselves, creating a luscious fruit richness, tied together by crisp lemon.

While the beer drinks very refreshing, due to its juicy hop profile, no carbonation bubbles touch the tongue at all, as a pillowy softness provides a world class silkness from the kickoff till the end. It coates the tongue, while the beers body easily provides enough depth to maintain the taste interesting.

Builds up a nice aqueous smoothness, instantly referring to the wonderfully silk mouthfeel, on which juicy orange, mango and papaya become noteable. Once crisp lime massages the palate, the fruitiness turns riper and more pungent, while getting balanced by gentle toffee malts. Those malts then get swallowed by slightly dank, slightly resinous qualities, adding to the lime's richness. Finishes slightly dry, still outstandingly fruity, with prickly kiwi now adding to the sweeter exotic fruits, creating a wonderful fruit bouquet among its initial, creamy softness.

Not only does it drink beautifully, it also tastes that way. Do yourself the favor of letting this sit and warm up for at least 30 minutes and this unfolds a never imagined plethora of aromas, getting mirrored in its taste. Truly complex, while masterfully executed, this is a dream of an iipa come true. The fruit sorbet quality you get in Tree House's Green is recognizable in this as well, although in an alternated way, depicting a mix of ripe mango, mixed into a smoothie with papaya, orange and lemon pulp. Incredibly rich on the tongue, and than there is that phenomenal mouthfeel as well...

This is perfect.

4.75/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I've been looking forward to this one forever. 750ml growler into a Grrrz teku. Shared with schen9303.

The beer looks identical to Julius. Same pulpy color, same fluffy white head, same great lace. Smells the same too. Big, juicy, bright citrus and tropical fruit notes make it seem like I'm about to bite into a tropical fruit smoothie with lots of citrus. At first taste, I can't really tell the difference between this and Julius. However, I open a can of the latter for a side-by-side and this one is sweeter and juicier. The hop profile is less forward but its stuffed with tropical and citrus fruit. I don't know if a beer could be juicier. If you like that type of IPA, there is no better tasting beer in the world.

The feel is just spot on. Soft, drinkable yet full bodied and the ABV is hidden so well, this is just as easy drinking as the single IPA form.

I hope Treehouse starts turn out more of this as its too good to just be a once-in-a-while brew. The best IIPA I've had to date, this will make you start saying "Heady who"? and "Hill Farmstead what"?

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had King Julius and Julius side by side, both fantastic beers, wish I had an endless supply of both.
King Julius has a brighter deeper color, amp'd up flavor and nose. Cheers!

4.67/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours into my Hill farmstead stem tulip with a nice creamy but lighter head that hits about 1/2 finger, with some decent sticky lacing... as you mentioned Nate, the lacing on the glass right off the tap was much nicer, but that doesn't stop the awesomness of the beer itself from shining through. Speaking of shining, the beer is not shiny at all, a murky hazy tangerine slightly coppery colored beer.

Nose is amazing! The transcending aroma wafted out as soon as I popped the swing top, and when I poured it I almost dropped the bottle as I was too busy dreaming of the tropical fruits dancing into my brain. This sucker is beaming with tropical fruit and citrus, loaded with passion fruit, mango, a big waft of exploding grapefruit juice packets, tangerine, light orange rind, resins and lots of fresh hop goodness. Under that a light malty aroma tries it's best to balance the hops, to little avail. As I'm burying my nose in it for minutes at a time (literally), and breathing deep, a light booze touch wafts out like an alcohol infused grapefruit.

Taste comes in... I can feel the weight of the beer and oily hop layer before my taste buds come back down to earth from the tropical fruit explosion. Holy shi*t mango! Memories come flying back of chewing on the pit from a mango trying to get that last bit of great mangoness off of it. There is also again some passion fruit, light resins, tangerine, a bit of citrus, and more fresh grapefruit explosions. I can barely put it down long enough to type a sentence. A nice malty base in there, very little malt flavor, but a nice balancing mild sweetness and fluffy feel, it has some weight to it, but no detectable booze. bitterness comes out nicely but not over explosive, or even really strong, its more of an after thought, like the light grapefruit rind bitterness when you're chewing on a fresh grapefruit. Finish is even more grapefruit as the mango fades a bit, a bit of papaya comes out as well, more tangerine and clementine, fairly dry, light lingering bitterness.

Mouth is med to fuller bodied but fluffy and soft, little oily, and quite nice fluffy carbonation.

Overall gmmrrguguumm.... that's the sound my brain is making trying to put words into how awesome this beer is. Easily top 5 DIPAs I've EVER HAD! So much fresh tropical fruit, literally like mango and grapefruit juice, booze is nowwhere to be seen except the nice weight of the body, light hop oil feel, juicy, delicious, drinkable, well balanced, just so friggen good!

The beer comes in a medium gold color, extremely turbid. Mango smoothie color in a glass.

The aroma offers orange creamsicle, mango sorbet, pineapple, tons of sweet peach, passionfruit, bubble gum, dominated by hops.

The beer follows with tons of orange Starburst, Gobstoppers, mango smoothie, pineapple puree, onto a big smack of grassy and rich herbaceous green quality with a medium bitterness. The mouthfeel is chewy and soft. The intensity of tropical fruits is almost unmatched. This pushes Julius to another level that Green offers. A combination with even more as it a bigger beer.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I love Julius. Prob my fav IPA at the moment, living within 30 minutes of the brewery I had opportunity to get my hands on the super rare King Julius.

Appearance- color of a glass of orange juice. Think Tropicana in a pint glass
Smell-orange, citrus.
Mouthfeel - smooth as silk
Taste- I would say it is 15 percent improvement on Julius. Think amped up Julius
Overall- if U like Julius, this is an improvement on what is a great beer

AMAZEBALLS! AMAZEBALLS! AMAZEBALLS! Did I say AMAZEBALLS? More cinnamon than I had anticipated...

This was my first time trying any treehouse brew. I acquired a few of these in a trade, and I am blown away. The color is something ive never seen before, a hazy orange juice look. The aroma about knocked me out, and after tasting it... I'd be happy if this was the only brew I could drink for the rest of my life. Wow. This is the only time Ive given a perfect 5, and as hard as it is for me to do, this certainly deserves it.

Never thought I'd be doing this. Pours out haze4daze. Can't see a thing through it. Looks like orange juice. Smells like a fruit smoothie with orange, pineapple, peaches and other passion fruits. Taste is an explosive melange of smooth fruits. No way this is beer. So smooth and creamy. The best dipa and probably the best hoppy beer ever invented.

4.7/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I have to echo the sentiments of the masses on this beer. This is so blatantly Julius. Drank them back-to-back and they are almost entirely similar. The one-off differences are probably the smoothness of this beer and it's slightly sweeter. Presumably due to the higher ABV and dry hopping? Regardless King Julius is a top-notch IPA through and through. My only (small) critique is that there really isn't much in this beer that's different from Julius. Maybe that's a good thing, but it makes it a little less special since Julius is so readily available at the brewery these days. Still... a must-try for any and all Tree House fans and IPA fans.

4.68/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Anyone who has had Julius will know what they are in for with this one. Great pulpy, juicy flavor that is like a fresh squeezed glass of OJ. Pretty similar to the original, which I preferred a tad more (along with Curiosity 22). Both seemed to have a little better nose and brighter tropical flavors. Still, this is really great.

Poured from a can into #ProperGlassware

L: Pours a glowing yellowy orange that reminds me of an extremely pulpy orange juice. This beer literally looks like it's glowing. It's almost reminiscent of a tequila sunrise because the bottom is such a deep orange and the top has a yellow hue. Seeing that appearance is so important to taste, my eyes tell me that I will like this beer very much.

S: As I shove my nose into the glass I am dominated with citrusy goodness. I didn't need to even be close to my glass to catch the huge notes of orange and mango. There's a bit of papaya and I even catch a faint scent of wheat. This smells outstanding. I could literally sniff this beer all day.

T: Gigantic notes of said orange, mango and papaya destroy my palate. There's a nice malt presence, but we all know that the hops are the stars of this show. There's a moderate level of bitterness which reminds me that this is not a glass of tropical fruit juice. It's probably better this way.

F: I guess this beer is 8.2%. Couldn't tell from how easy this goes down. Super smooth, but the word fluffy also comes to mind. There's a medium mouthfeel and it's a bit dry on the backend. The dryness could be a detriment, but ultimately it's purpose is to get me to yearn for another sip.

Overall: This is definitively one of the best beers that I've ever had. Easily top 5 IPA/DIPAs that I've experienced in my life. The appearance is awesome, the smell is awesome, the taste is awesome, the mouthfeel is awesome. I'll admit that I'm a Julius fanboy, but this beer is better than Julius. This is definitely on the level of Heady Topper, Double Sunshine, and HF Double Citra. This deserves every 5 that it gets. I'm glad that I am experiencing this and I wholeheartedly hope that Tree House decides to put this beer in a semi-regular rotation.

4.86/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

From notes, drank it yesterday. 750ml bottle about 8 days olds.

Pours bright orange with a pungent tropical nose. All the great flavors of Julius turned up a small notch. No hint of alcohol which is impressive. Dry smooth finish that didn't linger.

Apricot, Peach, citrus, mango, etc.

Incredible beer.

Hope they making again!

4.5/5  rDev -5.1%

4.65/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.95/5  rDev +4.4%

4.73/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Picked up on 4/25, tasted on 4/3

L- golden, opaque

S- brings me to a citrus grove or blended citrus

T- big and bold citrus that's nicely countered with the appropriate maltiness

F- little carbonation, pleasant, and silky

O- excellent and very happy to have such a nicely "authored" craft beer. This beer certainly goes above and beyond where the Julius goes. A fan of Julius will very likely be even more impressed with this. These guys know what they're doing and would be awesome of if they put King J in cans!

4.5/5  rDev -5.1%