King Julius | Tree House Brewing Company

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States
treehousebrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

The holiday season has a way of stirring up nostalgia. In late 2012, we brewed King Julius on our original Brew Magic brewing system - a whole ten gallons of it! Despite the size of the batch, the memory of it is enormous in our hearts. The thought of it brings us back to our cozy Brimfield barn, with the wood stove cranking, the record player spinning, Santa Dean mulling about, and Lauren and Kim filling growlers out of a modified chest freezer in a small nook under a wooden staircase. As we continue to move forward in our journey it felt like the perfect time to pay homage to our beginnings. King Julius is our endeavor to marry our past with what we aspire to be in the future. King Julius is an American Double IPA brewed to be an exceptionally flavorful, juicy, and hop saturated beer while never tiring the palate. It’s vivid citrus aromas give way to flavors of orange creamsicle, mango smoothie, and a bounty of fresh tropical fruit. We find it to be supremely soft in the midst of an onslaught of flavor. . . A beer we are quite proud of.

Added by jlindros on 12-09-2012

#7

Super rare probably the best beer I’ve ever had, it’s a tough statement but it’s amazing definitely top 3. The aroma, taste, if I ever got married I would want her to be like this beer LOL!

Pours ultra hazy, orange in color, with 1/3 inch head. Taste is deep peaches, orange juice, dragon fruit, light melon, and soft doughy bread. Heavy and full bodied with moderate carbonation. Like Julius but softer and with way more body. This has the best feel of any beer I have had period. Sweet with a touch of bitterness. Immaculate. Well worth the drive and a treat to drink. This and Very Hazy are two of the best beers I have had period.

Re review and rating. Had this on 9-10-16 from a 9-2-16 canning. Pours a turbid light yellow. Smells and tastes on par with orange juice that has been robbed of any sugar. Most impressive in my opinion was that I did not detect any bitterness in the finish.

Hands down best beer I've had

Canned 9/2/16. Consumed 9/4/16.

A: Pours a dark gold/orange, but sits in the glass an extremely thick, very burnt orange. It's so murky and turbid that it almost appears brown. It appears to possess the hue of Julius and the consistency of Green, making for a damn near perfect NE-style appearance in my book.

S: An absolute explosion of tropical and citrus fruits. The nose literally billows out of the glass, releasing potent aromas of overripe peach and mango. There's also tons of sweet, almost candied orange and ultraripe, dripping pineapple (almost like artificial, overly sweetened pineapple juice). While there isn't a hint of malt note to speak of, there's a substantial yeast presence, that sweet, bubblegummy "Juicy Fruit" note that is so pleasantly prevalent in Green. Here, it perfectly complements the fruit-forwardness; if you close your eyes, you could easily be fooled into thinking you're smelling a tropical fruit smoothie.

T: Waves of tropical and citrus fruits abound. BIG mango and peach up front. Sweet sweet peach, like drippy/sticky overripe brown parts of yellow peaches. Closely followed by zingy, candied orange notes, which quickly rolls into a wave of melon/papaya. It's an absolute onslaught of fruits that, by the end of the taste, leaves the mouth coated with a sticky--yet in no way syrup-y--film of fruity flavors. Behind all this is that wonderful Tree House yeast profile, a bready bubblegum note that underlies each wave of fruit and provides a 'creamsicle' backbone throughout.

M: About as thick and chewy as any beer I've had. KJ literally has the consistency fruit smoothie. It's as if you added a bunch of fruit to a blender and diluted it (just a bit). It has weight on the tongue, but for an over 8% beer, this drinks well below what it should. It's so creamy and perfectly carbonated, yet there is a medium bitterness that emerges on the finish. It's so overshadowed by the sweet tropical flavors, but it's definitely there, providing a lingering green/herbaceous quality to the aftertaste that reminds you all these fruit flavors are the product of hops.

O: Not even sure what to say. I don't think my review did it justice, but I'm not sure any review could, to be honest. Packing a pungent aroma, a massive tropical flavor profile, and the mouthfeel of a fruit smoothie, this is pretty much DIPA perfection, in my opinion. KJ shows what's possible when you extract every bit of flavor and aroma from top-quality hops and layer that on top of a subtle sweet malt and pleasantly expressive yeast. I honestly can't think of a single way in which this could be improved, so I have no reason not to claim that it's perfect. Do what you can to try it.

Tasted in Tulip glass poured from a 16 oz can. I know TH beers are intended to be had super fresh, but I tend to like the cans with a little time on them to allow the contents to acclimate to its environment - for this beer the anticipation was too great.

Look - Hazy-Orange as expected. Clearly carbonated with a big fluffy white head.

Smell - Heaven. Orange citrus, tropical fruit, and a slight heavenly funk. The aromas brought an instant smile to my face. That classic Julius smell that fills the brewery when it's on for the week.
Taste - Wow! Just like the smell, tons of citrus and tropical fruit. So hard to believe this beer is 8.2% because it is soooo smooth, creamy, juicy, but with an awesome hoppy finish on the palate.

Feel - Creamy, full bodied, pillows of citrus goodness. So well balanced with a crisp refreshing carbonation.

Overall - My favorite DIPA to date, hard to believe this is a 97 and Julius is 100. Love Julius but King J is on another level. Can't wait to try this after a week in its vessel. Like all TH beers allow this to come to temp in can for at least 15-20 minutes if you can - you will be rewarded with more intense aromas and taste. This is another 100 for me and not because it's my favorite brewery, Tree House is my favorite brewery because they brew the best beers IMHO. Cheers!

16oz can poured into a Treehouse Teku glass - Thanks Leo!

A - pours like juice. Hazy, orange juice in a glass. Solid finger of bright white head. Completely opaque.

N - insanely aromatic. Maybe the most pungent beer I've ever smelled. Its a fruit explosion. Oranges, mangoes, peaches, pineapple. If you were blindfolded you'd never guess this was beer. Julius cranked up to 1000.

T - insane, dumb, and stupid were the first words that came to mind. Its orange, mango, pineapple juice. Its not beer. Its every tropical fruit you can imagine thrown in a blender.

O - might be TH's best beer they make. One of the best DIPAs I've ever had.

Got cans and a growler from brewery.
Appearance: Deep, hazy orange.
Aroma: Orange is the main culprit.
Taste: Juicy, orange, other tropical fruits like Mango, smooth, soft, clean finish.
Overall: I have had all the great hops (both Pliny's, Heady, Hillfarm, Lawson's) but I can safely say this is the best of the best. A perfect 5 in the style. To me all the Tree House beers are amazing and 5's, but this one is special). Cheers!

This beer sets the bar for DIPAs. This is what to expect from the future. L- cloudy, hazy orange, seemingly similar to the pithy dankness of orange juice. S- the smell of oranges, orange dreamsicle and rind over take the nose like whirlwind and bit with overbearing fruitness. Citrus. Juice. Orange. And maybe a hint of mango. T- i've had orange juice that was boozier than this. Crushing the game with pure orange. Juice citrus. As if i had just freshly squeezed orange juice. This beer kills me. F- as usually, Tree Houses signature pillowy mouthfeel overwhelms and gives you a full blown mouth orgasm. True to beer beer form. If there was a better beer, please lead me the way. Otherwise, shut up and let me enjoy this perfect brew.

King Julius from Tree House Brewing Company