King Julius | Tree House Brewing Company

King JuliusKing Julius

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

The holiday season has a way of stirring up nostalgia. In late 2012, we brewed King Julius on our original Brew Magic brewing system - a whole ten gallons of it! Despite the size of the batch, the memory of it is enormous in our hearts. The thought of it brings us back to our cozy Brimfield barn, with the wood stove cranking, the record player spinning, Santa Dean mulling about, and Lauren and Kim filling growlers out of a modified chest freezer in a small nook under a wooden staircase. As we continue to move forward in our journey it felt like the perfect time to pay homage to our beginnings. King Julius is our endeavor to marry our past with what we aspire to be in the future. King Julius is an American Double IPA brewed to be an exceptionally flavorful, juicy, and hop saturated beer while never tiring the palate. It’s vivid citrus aromas give way to flavors of orange creamsicle, mango smoothie, and a bounty of fresh tropical fruit. We find it to be supremely soft in the midst of an onslaught of flavor. . . A beer we are quite proud of.

Added by jlindros on 12-09-2012

Reviews: 119 | Ratings: 677

Pours ultra hazy, orange in color, with 1/3 inch head. Taste is deep peaches, orange juice, dragon fruit, light melon, and soft doughy bread. Heavy and full bodied with moderate carbonation. Like Julius but softer and with way more body. This has the best feel of any beer I have had period. Sweet with a touch of bitterness. Immaculate. Well worth the drive and a treat to drink. This and Very Hazy are two of the best beers I have had period.

Re review and rating. Had this on 9-10-16 from a 9-2-16 canning. Pours a turbid light yellow. Smells and tastes on par with orange juice that has been robbed of any sugar. Most impressive in my opinion was that I did not detect any bitterness in the finish.

Canned 9/2/16. Consumed 9/4/16.

A: Pours a dark gold/orange, but sits in the glass an extremely thick, very burnt orange. It's so murky and turbid that it almost appears brown. It appears to possess the hue of Julius and the consistency of Green, making for a damn near perfect NE-style appearance in my book.

S: An absolute explosion of tropical and citrus fruits. The nose literally billows out of the glass, releasing potent aromas of overripe peach and mango. There's also tons of sweet, almost candied orange and ultraripe, dripping pineapple (almost like artificial, overly sweetened pineapple juice). While there isn't a hint of malt note to speak of, there's a substantial yeast presence, that sweet, bubblegummy "Juicy Fruit" note that is so pleasantly prevalent in Green. Here, it perfectly complements the fruit-forwardness; if you close your eyes, you could easily be fooled into thinking you're smelling a tropical fruit smoothie.

T: Waves of tropical and citrus fruits abound. BIG mango and peach up front. Sweet sweet peach, like drippy/sticky overripe brown parts of yellow peaches. Closely followed by zingy, candied orange notes, which quickly rolls into a wave of melon/papaya. It's an absolute onslaught of fruits that, by the end of the taste, leaves the mouth coated with a sticky--yet in no way syrup-y--film of fruity flavors. Behind all this is that wonderful Tree House yeast profile, a bready bubblegum note that underlies each wave of fruit and provides a 'creamsicle' backbone throughout.

M: About as thick and chewy as any beer I've had. KJ literally has the consistency fruit smoothie. It's as if you added a bunch of fruit to a blender and diluted it (just a bit). It has weight on the tongue, but for an over 8% beer, this drinks well below what it should. It's so creamy and perfectly carbonated, yet there is a medium bitterness that emerges on the finish. It's so overshadowed by the sweet tropical flavors, but it's definitely there, providing a lingering green/herbaceous quality to the aftertaste that reminds you all these fruit flavors are the product of hops.

O: Not even sure what to say. I don't think my review did it justice, but I'm not sure any review could, to be honest. Packing a pungent aroma, a massive tropical flavor profile, and the mouthfeel of a fruit smoothie, this is pretty much DIPA perfection, in my opinion. KJ shows what's possible when you extract every bit of flavor and aroma from top-quality hops and layer that on top of a subtle sweet malt and pleasantly expressive yeast. I honestly can't think of a single way in which this could be improved, so I have no reason not to claim that it's perfect. Do what you can to try it.

Tasted in Tulip glass poured from a 16 oz can. I know TH beers are intended to be had super fresh, but I tend to like the cans with a little time on them to allow the contents to acclimate to its environment - for this beer the anticipation was too great.

Look - Hazy-Orange as expected. Clearly carbonated with a big fluffy white head.

Smell - Heaven. Orange citrus, tropical fruit, and a slight heavenly funk. The aromas brought an instant smile to my face. That classic Julius smell that fills the brewery when it's on for the week.
Taste - Wow! Just like the smell, tons of citrus and tropical fruit. So hard to believe this beer is 8.2% because it is soooo smooth, creamy, juicy, but with an awesome hoppy finish on the palate.

Feel - Creamy, full bodied, pillows of citrus goodness. So well balanced with a crisp refreshing carbonation.

Overall - My favorite DIPA to date, hard to believe this is a 97 and Julius is 100. Love Julius but King J is on another level. Can't wait to try this after a week in its vessel. Like all TH beers allow this to come to temp in can for at least 15-20 minutes if you can - you will be rewarded with more intense aromas and taste. This is another 100 for me and not because it's my favorite brewery, Tree House is my favorite brewery because they brew the best beers IMHO. Cheers!

16oz can poured into a Treehouse Teku glass - Thanks Leo!

A - pours like juice. Hazy, orange juice in a glass. Solid finger of bright white head. Completely opaque.

N - insanely aromatic. Maybe the most pungent beer I've ever smelled. Its a fruit explosion. Oranges, mangoes, peaches, pineapple. If you were blindfolded you'd never guess this was beer. Julius cranked up to 1000.

T - insane, dumb, and stupid were the first words that came to mind. Its orange, mango, pineapple juice. Its not beer. Its every tropical fruit you can imagine thrown in a blender.

O - might be TH's best beer they make. One of the best DIPAs I've ever had.

Got cans and a growler from brewery.
Appearance: Deep, hazy orange.
Aroma: Orange is the main culprit.
Taste: Juicy, orange, other tropical fruits like Mango, smooth, soft, clean finish.
Overall: I have had all the great hops (both Pliny's, Heady, Hillfarm, Lawson's) but I can safely say this is the best of the best. A perfect 5 in the style. To me all the Tree House beers are amazing and 5's, but this one is special). Cheers!

This beer sets the bar for DIPAs. This is what to expect from the future. L- cloudy, hazy orange, seemingly similar to the pithy dankness of orange juice. S- the smell of oranges, orange dreamsicle and rind over take the nose like whirlwind and bit with overbearing fruitness. Citrus. Juice. Orange. And maybe a hint of mango. T- i've had orange juice that was boozier than this. Crushing the game with pure orange. Juice citrus. As if i had just freshly squeezed orange juice. This beer kills me. F- as usually, Tree Houses signature pillowy mouthfeel overwhelms and gives you a full blown mouth orgasm. True to beer beer form. If there was a better beer, please lead me the way. Otherwise, shut up and let me enjoy this perfect brew.

Bottom line up front, this is an amazing beer.

I docked the appearance since the head disappeared pretty quickly and left minimal lacing, but I love the cloudiness. First smell is a tidal wave of peaches, then other tropical fruits. Taste is more orange up front and dries out smooth on the back end. This beer could not be much better.

Hail to the King!
Pours a golden orange/yellow colors.
Smells like a citrus fruit bomb.
Tastes like a citrus fruit bomb. Almost no hop character. The fruit lingers longer than any other IPA I've had.
Creamy, smooth and fuzzy.

Simply the best IPA I've ever had. It takes Julius to another level. First time I had it I was blown away. I've had it more than 4 times, and every time, I'm reminded by how good it is.

Simply one of the best beers I have ever had bar none.

Look : Thick orange and hazy. Basically opaque.
Aroma : Lots of citrus, hops and some floral notes.
Flavor : Juicy hop bomb. Velvety smooth mouth-feel.
Overall : If you ever get the chance to try it do it!

Canned on 02Sep 2016 and enjoyed the same day. Poured into a Duvel Tulip.
L: Dark but bright orange... completely opaque. Glows a glorious orange with light shined behind it. Gorgeous pure white head leaving sticky lacing.
S: A tropical bouquet… not phony juicy juice but like a fresh, ripe peach and mango and pineapple. I’ve had peaches in Georgia that didn’t smell this good. It’s concentrated Julius as if you were snorting it and rubbing your face with it.
T: Their twitter page does not lie… big and soft flavors… fruity and bright and dancing hops… everything is perfectly balanced. Hold it in your mouth and you can feel the extra hops all over. The big difference from Julius here is a deep and dark juicy beating to all flavors. Just an extra juiciness to everything.
F: Like a fluffy, hoppy pillow with bright, prickly hops dancing on your tongue. You barely want to swallow...
O: If Tree House was a cult, I would worship at their stump... The moment this was announced with the line going wild was a moment to savor. I'll try not to drink this one six straight nights to make the magic last a little longer...

Opened a week after canning. After opening the can the room was immediately filled with big hop and fruit aromas. In the glass this smells like a giant glass of orange juice with every delicious juicy fruit mixed in. Just an amazing smell. This beer tastes like it smells, a wonderful juicy bomb of citrus and hoppiness. Minimal bitterness and a well balanced profile make the 8% alcohol in this beer dangerously hard to find. This is truly one of the best IPAs I have ever had. In my mind tied with King Sue and DDH Fort Point Pale Ale. Well worth what it takes to get this beer.

bought from brewery 1/30/16 and drank next day

poured into a tulip glass. the amazing experience began with the visual...creamy slight head, beautiful orange hue with a creaminess to the body. then the aroma..brought me back to a fresh fruit buffet in hawaii, mango, papaya, pineapple ..maybe lime?? beautiful tropical bouquet yet it cant hide the danky hops within. from the minute it hits the mouth, its creaminess is welcoming, the fruits make their mark and you get maybe the best finish ever with the hops taking over in a complimentary fashion with zero bitterness. it all blends into the damn finest beer Ive ever had. Well worth the 45 minute wait, i just wish the limit was more than two 16oz cans. i should note that the KJ was sandwiched in between a Maine Dinner and a Heady. While the Dinner is amazing in its own right, the King was just a tad more special. So good that the Heady Topper i drank afterwards tasted dare i say...ordinary in comparison.

I thought Julius couldn't get any better, I was wrong. This beer did not disappoint. As soon as you crack the can you can tell how awesome it is. The tropical explosion starts with the aroma and stays all the way to the end with mango standing out above all the flavors to me. Amazing beer.

The beer comes in a medium gold color, extremely turbid. Mango smoothie color in a glass.

The aroma offers orange creamsicle, mango sorbet, pineapple, tons of sweet peach, passionfruit, bubble gum, dominated by hops.

The beer follows with tons of orange Starburst, Gobstoppers, mango smoothie, pineapple puree, onto a big smack of grassy and rich herbaceous green quality with a medium bitterness. The mouthfeel is chewy and soft. The intensity of tropical fruits is almost unmatched. This pushes Julius to another level that Green offers. A combination with even more as it a bigger beer.

The appearance of this beautiful! Turbid, but cautious as not to appear "murky". Bright apricot/orange hue, just like the TH in the label. Stunner. #Hazefordaze

This is a beer I could smell for days. Tons of fresh squeezed pulpy OJ, mango and pineapple puree. Each sniff was even more complex, notes of guava, passion fruit, fruit stripe gum. Just an absolute explosion of tropical fruit juice, the best I've ever had for the style.

As far as the taste goes, this I tell you is even more complex. Served in a TG Teku 55F, this beer jumps out of the glass and into your mouth. Creamy, velvety with medium bitterness, this is truly like drinking a tropical smoothie. Takes the flavors of Julius into Green territory of tropical notes, has a nice soft OJ finish. Just a #gusher

Feel: Well, I already stated what dem feelz are like. Creamy, velvety, and pleasantly bitter.

Overall: The best of the best. Believe the hype. Best Double IPA I've ever had. #Hunnits

This was my first time trying any treehouse brew. I acquired a few of these in a trade, and I am blown away. The color is something ive never seen before, a hazy orange juice look. The aroma about knocked me out, and after tasting it... I'd be happy if this was the only brew I could drink for the rest of my life. Wow. This is the only time Ive given a perfect 5, and as hard as it is for me to do, this certainly deserves it.

Never thought I'd be doing this. Pours out haze4daze. Can't see a thing through it. Looks like orange juice. Smells like a fruit smoothie with orange, pineapple, peaches and other passion fruits. Taste is an explosive melange of smooth fruits. No way this is beer. So smooth and creamy. The best dipa and probably the best hoppy beer ever invented.

Truly fit for a King. A creamy tropical smoothie, incredibly soft on the pallet. Insanely juicy and thirst quenching, all hail King Julius! Tree house can do no wrong

Having now had this a couple times in a week since its rerelease, there is no doubt in my mind that this is the perfect beer regardless of classification. Here's the thing it's not the first 5 that I've given out, and no doubt because Julius is perfect to me, I simply had to grade this the same- and normally when we compare beers that are a 97 vs a 98 there's just subtle nuances that distinguish them. This is the same only Julius is a 100, this is a 103- soft, citrus explosion w tremendous mouth feel and hop profile... seek w confidence, I suspect it'll be out more soon, but if you gotta friend, hit him up!

This beer looks perfect poured out.. completely opaque and just bright orange color. if you smelled this not knowing you would not think its beer.. its like fresh squeezed citrus juice.. that taste is amazing... its too smooth for 8.2% you could drink these all night because it is so good and so smooth.. mouthfeel is perfect... I would not change anything about this beer except for me having more!

Everything about this beer is so tree house, and so delicous. Its so similar to Julius but with more tropical punch and more alcohol, but just as smooth as anything they make. yummy.

What can I say? This beer is phenomenal, a boosted version of Julius. You can smell from the glass a distance away. Cloudy Golden orange color. Smells like fresh citrusy hops bursting out with a matching taste. Perfect smooth mouth feel allows for easy drinkability. All Hail King Julius

Had twice from a growler and once from a can on three separate occasions.

Ladies and gentlemen... this is THE quintessential so-called "NE IPA." Beautiful opaque orange glow. Smells like hop juice in the best sense of the term. Lots of tropical and citrus fruits. Taste is just unreal. Super "juicy," as one would expect. No perceivable bitterness. Dangerously drinkable. This is as good as it gets.

Everything about this beer screams DELICIOUS!
Highly pleasing to the senses, especially to taste or smell:

I'm blessed to be close enough to Treehouse and several other excellent breweries. This Beer Is in my Top 5 and my top 5 consists of about 15.

King Julius from Tree House Brewing Company