King Julius | Tree House Brewing Company

King JuliusKing Julius

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

The holiday season has a way of stirring up nostalgia. In late 2012, we brewed King Julius on our original Brew Magic brewing system - a whole ten gallons of it! Despite the size of the batch, the memory of it is enormous in our hearts. The thought of it brings us back to our cozy Brimfield barn, with the wood stove cranking, the record player spinning, Santa Dean mulling about, and Lauren and Kim filling growlers out of a modified chest freezer in a small nook under a wooden staircase. As we continue to move forward in our journey it felt like the perfect time to pay homage to our beginnings. King Julius is our endeavor to marry our past with what we aspire to be in the future. King Julius is an American Double IPA brewed to be an exceptionally flavorful, juicy, and hop saturated beer while never tiring the palate. It’s vivid citrus aromas give way to flavors of orange creamsicle, mango smoothie, and a bounty of fresh tropical fruit. We find it to be supremely soft in the midst of an onslaught of flavor. . . A beer we are quite proud of.

Added by jlindros on 12-09-2012

Reviews: 119 | Ratings: 676
3.56/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Fresh, 2-day old can, chilled, and poured into a tulip glass.
L: orangish, with a hint of brown; so sort of a dark dirty orange color. Totally opaque, light frothy head. When I poured it, it seemed to kind of "glob" out of the can, thick like orange juice.
S: could smell it as soon as I opened the can. Pouring it agitated the aromas more. Smelled like mangos, cream, with a herbal quality.
T: typical Tree House Brewing citra/galaxy hops: Very fruit forward, mangos, orange, pink grapefruit, with a hint of spice on the back end of the flavor profile. A slight bite of a spice I can't name, maybe cardamom? It's more balanced than Julius, I like it better than Julius, but it's not my favorite from TH. I didn't think it met the hype. I've certainly had better beers and can't believe this is currently number 8 on the top 250. I suspect it got that number from people who drove hours to get this beer and therefore have less objectivity.
F: smooth and creamy, like really soft soft serve ice cream. It coats your mouth and lingers.
O: this beer does what TH wants it to do: be a full bodied, full flavored, slap to the face... not an aggressive slap. More like a love slap. Maybe more like a solid, wet, kiss on the cheek from a summer crush. You know it's there and won't forget it, but the sensation fades over time.

4.12/5  rDev -12.9%

Sample at EBF 2016
Hazy orange amber color. Huge juicy citrus tropical light earth and pine nose. Sweet bready malt big hop flavor mild hop bitterness. Another great beer from Tree house!

4.12/5  rDev -12.9%

This might have been the most disappointing beer I have had to date from Tree House, since in my mind I was imagining a DIPA that would equate to an even better version of Julius.

What I got was a boozier variant of Julius with markedly less orange flavor throughout, one that felt more like an experimental beer than one worthy of the title of king.

Was it worth the 1-hour wait in line for a 750ml growler of this beer? Yes, because everyone at the brewery (not just the staff but all the beer drinkers waiting in line) was super cool and, ultimately, I got to share a rare beer with friends, all whom appreciated that fact. Would I do it again? No, since there are many other better DIPA's out there on the market.

In a way, I am glad that this beer did not blow me away. It means that there is one less whale of a beer for me to chase and one more person in line at Tree House who gets to take home a growler fill.

In conclusion, Julius is clearly the better beer.

4.15/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance- Dark/burnt golden color with an almost brown hue to it. Pours a fizzy two finger head.

Aroma- Citrus, orange, tangerine, and a bready malt sweetness.

Taste- Big orange/ tangerine upfront and throughout. Drinks like a pale ale with very little bitterness whatsoever. Finishes with a bread malt that adds body and cleans up the finish pretty well.

Feel- Full bodied and medium carbonation. Thick, creamy, juicy, soft, etc.

Overall- Once again Treehouse produces a really unique ipa. This is basically a 8% pale ale and drinks like a juice smoothy. Compared to Julius its much sweeter, less bitter, and focus more on orange/tangerine flavors exclusively rather than incorporating peach and mango flavor. That being said I'd definitely prefer Julius. Still, another great beer from TH, and there isn't another beer that comes close to matching this beer's profile.

4.18/5  rDev -11.6%

I've only had a few of these NE style ipas and was waiting until I had a really highly rated one to weigh in.

Gotta say, I don't get the fawning over the haze. It's nasty looking, and I can feel the particulates in my throat when I swallow. And I've brewed a couple batches where I've added hops when the krausen started to drop to get them to isomerize (?), but mine have still cleared up way more than this. Does TH just use a huge amount of flaked barley or something? What's the point besides branding?

The aroma and flavor are pretty killer, for sure. Juice is the word. I get oranges and mangoes. This tastes more mosaic than citra for me. Anyway, just sent my other two cans away for sara appreciation, which I expect to appreciate more. Cheers!

4.19/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This just missed the mark for me. Still a nice beer, but I think the subtle juicyness and upping the hop & malt bill don't quite mix. The nose and taste add a distinctive vegetal flavor to the typical Julius "straight juice homey". I'll stick to the regular Julius for now.

4.25/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had at Huna Day on a share. Was slightly old but would have expected it to hold up better for being a double. I also fully acknowledge I am a TG fanboy. I had alongside Julius, Todd the Axeman and Pseudo Sue. Thought regular Julius was way better but would but Todd the Axeman above all of them.

4.25/5  rDev -10.1%

Was really excited to try this. Not at all what I thought it would be. This is the definition of balance. Lots of citrusy sweet fruits and nice malt backbone to round it out.

4.28/5  rDev -9.5%

Shared side by side with a Julius.

A: bright orange, cloudy/murky. Decent amount of white to light yellow head with a fair amount of sticky lacing. Head disapated quickly, much quicker than Julius. If you like Tang hen you will like the appearance of this.
S: by far the strong suit of this beer, multiple citrusy elements, mango, pineapple, grapefruit.
T: a let down, th citrus elements quickly vanish and leave a slight piney residue which is not evident on the nose. It actually new up tasting more like Julius in waiting. Not sure what happened but Julius tastes better.
M: actually a bit thin for the style.
O: would not try too hard to trade for this unless your a ticker. Glad a friend offered to share and I didn't give up the farm. While a very good beer, there are plenty more DIPA's far more accessible and just as good and many much better.

4.29/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very good, lots of citrus in this beer, but not as balanced as Julius. Orange and tangerine came to mind, with a hint of grapefruit. Also some tropical fruit, mango and peach. The alcohol was present too. Overall very good beer, but not as good as I'd hoped.

4.32/5  rDev -8.7%

16 oz. can. Hazy deep orange. Darker at the bottom of the pour, like peach juice where the pulp settles to the bottom. Smell is tropical fruits. Mango, orange. Some sweetness. Tastes tropical as well, with more emphasis on the orange flavor. Light sugary sweetness up front. Dries out and becomes a touch bitter in the finish. Medium body. Exactly as described. A bigger version of Julius. Drank a Julius before drinking this for science. It would be impossible to ramp up the hop flavor by the same order of magnitude that the sugars are amplified. By that metric, I think I would take Julius over this.

4.39/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a kind of ugly turbid brownish copper color with a nice, fluffy off-white head. Definitely not a looker, but neither are a lot of great beers. We move on.

S: Much better. Like a Costco frozen tropical fruit medley smoothie. Orange pulp, light pineapple and guava, maybe even a little bit of strawberry and some powdery malt in the background.

T: To be totally honest, this doesn't live up to the hype for me. Way more malt forward than I was expecting and the heaviness of the malt takes away from everything under it. Some honey and orange in here, along with maybe a little bit of pineapple. The smoothness is pretty remarkable in this and there's not much in the way of bitterness, just a kiss of pine resin and lingering orange pulp on the finish. A very tasty beer, but I wouldn't say it's head and shoulders above the rest of Tree House's other IPAs.

4.4/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tried once...then a 2nd...now a third. With out a doubt this is a great dbl ipa. I would take jr over this in a heart beat. However, this brew creeps on you more.

4.41/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

L - Orange sunburst is the best way I can describe this. Held it up to the light and it lit up the opaque orange liquid. Cannot see through this beer.
A - Similar to Julius but kicked up to another level. Smells real nice...orange rind is what it reminds me of.
T - Again, similar taste to Julius but kicked up a notch. Lots of orange, orange rind, orange peel with a grapefruit bitterness to finish each sip.
M - This DIPA coats your mouth. Definitely lingers and clings to your palate for a few seconds....med carb. Easy to drink.
O - This is an outstanding beer. Very fortunate to have gotten my hands on a couple and very spoiled to live in MA where all of the best IPAs are coming out of right now.....between TH and Trillium, I won't search out any other IPAs!

4.44/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pre-Doppelganger, a heavyweight bout of some Tree House big boys.

A- Pale body with an orange tinge and a massive cloud of residual hop particles clouding the glass heavily. Milky even. A fairly thick white creamy cap ascends to over a finger in my tulip with good retention. Lacing stays around with whispy webs.

S- Hops are beyond intense and pungent with orange juice and tropical fruit juice competing for dominance while they both lead into dank herbs, floral and stone fruit notes. Hops o plenty with a spiffy clean yeast ferment and pale cracked grain hints.

T- The fresh squeezed orange juice is strong with this one as it reminds me of the glorious aftertaste of OJ, the citrus is compounded with a semi bitter ruby red grapefruit flesh and juicy feel. Tropical fruit nectar is also very strong here with mango, peach and some passionfruit playing with intense dank weed. Beyond the barrage of fruits is floral, herbal, slight pine, pale cereal grain and the slightest sweetness.

MF- Medium bodied with a semi chewy creaminess and certain frothy texture. Carbonation rains down on the palate at a high level promoting supreme hop pungency. Moderately clean bitter ending.

What more can I say? Tree House is the boss of the hops. This isn't my personal favorite of the TH IPAs but it once again shows they know what they are doing and can get a certain flavor profile with intense hop bills.

4.44/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

First written review here.

Bought Sept 2nd. Drank Sept 3rd.

Everything you'd expect from Treehouse. The smell, the look, the mouthfeel. And of course the taste.

Treehouse style is something. Something really impressive to behold. And taken together, few other breweries can match them (Trillium is my second place).

I found the King was slightly more brutish and less balanced than Julius proper.

That's with a side by side tasting (one that Alter Ego wins for me by the way for palate gauging purposes).

Still a remarkable beer and one I'd line up for any day. Really this is a debate of the last few points.

4.47/5  rDev -5.5%

Cloudy dull orange in color, smell is ripe citrus, and taste follows, very juicy and orange orange with nice moderate hop finish. Juicier than Julius, not as creamy but still incredible.

4.49/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drank from a 1 pint can purchased at Tree House Brewing Company, Monson, MA
01 28 16
Served in a snifter

Totally opaque, dull orangey-amber appearance. One of the cloudiest beers I have ever seen. The liquid was topped by a creamy, frothy, finger tall, eggshell colored crown that quickly dropped to a barely there film. A bubbly collar encircled the liquid. After every sip, a thin wall of lacing coated the glass, but it quickly broke apart into small droplets.

The aroma was super hoppy and very citrusy. Orange notes dominated. Uber juicy and sweet. Tangerine came through as well. Tropical fruits were also quite noticeable. Loads of mango. Good amount of peach. Really fruity and bright.

The flavor profile featured more of the same. It was super hoppy and very citrus forward. Loads of juicy orange and tangerine notes. Slightly sweet. Orange sherbet came to mind. Intense peach and apricot notes. Some overripe mango as well. The beer finished with notes of candied orange peel and just a hint of rind-like pith. At 8.2% ABV, this drank amazingly well.

The mouthfeel was uber frothy and smooth. Medium bodied for the style. Fluffy and supple on the palate. Pillowy soft. The beer contained a fine, zippy effervescence.

King Julius is an incredibly juicy and flavorful double IPA, but perhaps it was a bit more one dimensional than I had hoped. While the beer displayed some amazing bright and intense citrus notes, it could have been more complex.

4.5/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a hazy yellow cloudy with a 1 inch head. Smells like an IPA with lots of orange juice and magi juice in it. Smooth juicy up front taste followed by nice bitter finish. Has a nice smooth mouthfeel.

4.5/5  rDev -4.9%

Super hazy. It looks like orange juice.

Flavor is obviously juicy. Orange and mango with a lot of floral and sticky flavors. Some bitterness and some lingering resin.

I still think jjjuliusss was the best of the 4, but this is great as well!

4.5/5  rDev -4.9%

Talk about a richness in beer choices from TreeHouse. This is an amazing beer but JJJulius and King JJJulius are a better version of this beer. Looking forward to tasting this beer in the future might be too fresh.

4.52/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Hazy. Almost opaque like orange juice. Thin head that dissipates quickly.

Smell - Tons of citrus. It completely overpowered my Szechuan. Very sweet smelling.

Taste - Not very well balanced. Too sweet for my palate. Absolute fruit bomb in a good way, and maybe a sweet fruit bomb is the point. However, I was looking for something a little different. Could not tell this was 8.3%.

Feel - Oddly thin. Great for the palate, but mismatched with the beer itself.

Overall - Hmm... I am both excited but confused by this beer. Smell, taste and feel all add up to a beer that is just a bit out of balance. I can't tell if it's by design or if it's a happy accident. That said, it's an outstanding use of the citra hop.

My only complaint is that this beer gave me a pretty good stomach ache after I drank it. I was still happy for it though!

4.54/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Came to this with very high expectations. Looks fantastic in the glass like all Tree House IPAs. Aroma might be the best I've ever experienced from an IPA. Oranges, grapefruits, pineapples, papayas, and mangoes explode from the glass. The aroma is pungent. This fruit explosion doesn't follow through on the taste for me. There is a sweetness from the malt and the larger mouth feel makes it a little sticky, sappy, and resinous. This is nice, but it took away from the fruit somewhat. Fantastic beer. My criticism is only based on the expectation of 5.0. Definitely trade for this.

4.55/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750 ml. growler filled yesterday.
Look: Pours a beautiful 3/4 inch head.
Smell: So nice and tropical.
Taste: Julius's twin, only a tad boozier.
Feel: this is where it lacks a bit...
Overall: So glad I got to try this, and gladder still that I have another 750. ;)

4.56/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fresh growler poured into Pilsner glass.

Orange in color

Great aroma of fruits: apricot, tangerine, citrus and pine.

Taste follows the aroma

Great beer

Julius is still my preferred over the King.

King Julius from Tree House Brewing Company