King Julius | Tree House Brewing Company

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States
treehousebrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

The holiday season has a way of stirring up nostalgia. In late 2012, we brewed King Julius on our original Brew Magic brewing system - a whole ten gallons of it! Despite the size of the batch, the memory of it is enormous in our hearts. The thought of it brings us back to our cozy Brimfield barn, with the wood stove cranking, the record player spinning, Santa Dean mulling about, and Lauren and Kim filling growlers out of a modified chest freezer in a small nook under a wooden staircase. As we continue to move forward in our journey it felt like the perfect time to pay homage to our beginnings. King Julius is our endeavor to marry our past with what we aspire to be in the future. King Julius is an American Double IPA brewed to be an exceptionally flavorful, juicy, and hop saturated beer while never tiring the palate. It’s vivid citrus aromas give way to flavors of orange creamsicle, mango smoothie, and a bounty of fresh tropical fruit. We find it to be supremely soft in the midst of an onslaught of flavor. . . A beer we are quite proud of.

Added by jlindros on 12-09-2012

3.51/5  rDev -25.9%

3.56/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Fresh, 2-day old can, chilled, and poured into a tulip glass.
L: orangish, with a hint of brown; so sort of a dark dirty orange color. Totally opaque, light frothy head. When I poured it, it seemed to kind of "glob" out of the can, thick like orange juice.
S: could smell it as soon as I opened the can. Pouring it agitated the aromas more. Smelled like mangos, cream, with a herbal quality.
T: typical Tree House Brewing citra/galaxy hops: Very fruit forward, mangos, orange, pink grapefruit, with a hint of spice on the back end of the flavor profile. A slight bite of a spice I can't name, maybe cardamom? It's more balanced than Julius, I like it better than Julius, but it's not my favorite from TH. I didn't think it met the hype. I've certainly had better beers and can't believe this is currently number 8 on the top 250. I suspect it got that number from people who drove hours to get this beer and therefore have less objectivity.
F: smooth and creamy, like really soft soft serve ice cream. It coats your mouth and lingers.
O: this beer does what TH wants it to do: be a full bodied, full flavored, slap to the face... not an aggressive slap. More like a love slap. Maybe more like a solid, wet, kiss on the cheek from a summer crush. You know it's there and won't forget it, but the sensation fades over time.

3.64/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.79/5  rDev -20%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.84/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Very good, lots of citrus in this beer, but not as balanced as Julius. Orange and tangerine came to mind, with a hint of grapefruit. Also some tropical fruit, mango and peach. The alcohol was present too. Overall very good beer, but not as good as I'd hoped.

3.9/5  rDev -17.7%

3.98/5  rDev -16%

4.02/5  rDev -15.2%

4.07/5  rDev -14.1%

4.08/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.09/5  rDev -13.7%

4.1/5  rDev -13.5%

Sample at EBF 2016
Hazy orange amber color. Huge juicy citrus tropical light earth and pine nose. Sweet bready malt big hop flavor mild hop bitterness. Another great beer from Tree house!

4.12/5  rDev -13.1%

This might have been the most disappointing beer I have had to date from Tree House, since in my mind I was imagining a DIPA that would equate to an even better version of Julius.

What I got was a boozier variant of Julius with markedly less orange flavor throughout, one that felt more like an experimental beer than one worthy of the title of king.

Was it worth the 1-hour wait in line for a 750ml growler of this beer? Yes, because everyone at the brewery (not just the staff but all the beer drinkers waiting in line) was super cool and, ultimately, I got to share a rare beer with friends, all whom appreciated that fact. Would I do it again? No, since there are many other better DIPA's out there on the market.

In a way, I am glad that this beer did not blow me away. It means that there is one less whale of a beer for me to chase and one more person in line at Tree House who gets to take home a growler fill.

In conclusion, Julius is clearly the better beer.

4.13/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

King Julius from Tree House Brewing Company