Love Belgian Beer?

SapSap

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Our IPA brewed with Northwest American hops prominently featuring Chinook! A pungent aroma gives way to a delicate beer loaded with hop flavor. Soft notes of grapefruit, pine, pineapple, and young mango give way to a dry finish making this one hard to put down. We find Sap to be one of our most complex and intricate IPAs - We love it dearly!

Added by jlindros on 12-24-2012

4.3

Reviews: 107 | Ratings: 802
4.99/5  rDev +16%

Canned on 16Feb 2016 and enjoyed 17Feb 2016. Poured into a Duvel Tulip.
L: Dark, burnt golden yellow... completely opaque. Dark just to the eye, but shining a bright light behind it makes it glow a glorious gold. I’d use it at a nightlight if I didn’t drink it so quickly. Fluffy meringue head leaving sticky lacing.
S: This one differs from the other TH offerings I’ve had (Julius, Green, Alter Ego) in that it is unapologetically hoppy without the dominating tropical fruit salad nose; a wonderful change of pace when you’re in the mood.
T: Thick piney hops, sweet malt and pineapple on the finish.
F: Light and bright… a smooth enjoyable delight.
O: I love this beer… I could drink it all night. I truly believe its ratings are lower because it’s not the fruit bomb that other TH offerings are. I’m in for the 3hr drive to TH anytime this is available.

4.99/5  rDev +16%

This beer pours a cloudy vibrant orange color just a bit darker than orange juice. Head is 2 fingers and bright white that eventually settles to a thin cap and also leaves a ridiculous amount of lacing. Smell is very piney, but still so fruity. Honestly like no other IPA I've ever had. It is like a citrus fruit salad made up of a copious amount of grapefruit, lemon and orange that is just engulfed by a forest of Christmas trees and crammed into a glass. Taste is the same with some nice bitterness. Feel is light, very soft and juicy, but also resinous. Overall this is world class and like no other beer I've tried. Absolutely the softest, juiciest piney/bitter IPA I've ever had. I will go a step further and say that Sap is the best beer I've ever had!

4.96/5  rDev +15.3%

It's the best piney west coast style IPA there is. It gets flak because it's not a juice bomb like TH's other offerings. But if you put this next to Heady Topper in a blind taste test, it's not even a contest.

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

Got this today at the brewery fresh into the cans. 4/13/16 This is the first time I've had this so maybe it's the batch but to me, it tastes a lot of fruit (maybe slightly more bitter fruit) and very well balanced. Not so much piney as a subtle peppery dry finish, very subtle. It's really a deliciously good beer and I'd rank it up there with the best NE ipas. And I especially enjoyed trying to analyze this one after finding it so different than what I'd read in reviews about a piney holiday brew.

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

Lovely pine all over this beer. Not the juice bomb IPAs like some other Tree House beers, but what a great west coast IPA. Tastes like I imagine Northern California would taste

4.79/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer made me literally cry. Due to the nature of my school, I cannot drink and had not had anything in 4 months. This was my first beverage after the 4 months of dry desolation. As soon as I smelled this beauty, my eyes began to glisten with joy, and when the sweet nectar from above hit my lips and I consumed, I could not contain my tears if joy any longer. It helps that this beer is also unbelievably delicious. Dangerously drinkable though.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Dank, dank, dank. The Chinook hops in this beer give it such a great smell and taste. So piney! I particularly like the mouth feel of this uniquely drinkable single hop offering. Thick and coating. Sap is a perfect name for this awesome resinous concoction.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L - Foggy, light-gold with a huge cream colored head.

S - Grapefruit, pine

T - Follows the nose. Grapefruit, bitter/sweet hops...fresh hops, like the hop cones are in the brew!!

F - Very effervescent, dry, dry, dry, crisp

O - Characteristic East Coast fresh hoppiness. Tree House is producing some of the best tasting East Coast ulta-hop flavored brews in the country. "Sap" is no exception. These brews are dry with an extreme fresh hop flavor...grapefruity flavor. Refreshing. Thirst-quenching. Delicious.

4.74/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm not an expert on Treehouse beers, but hope to get there as I travel to our fixer-upper in Western MA. Thus far, Green is my fave, and while this looks, smells and tastes like Green, I slightly favored Green. Only slightly. This is an outstanding IPA that I'd go out of my way to procure (which I did).
Next on the list for tonight is Ma.
If you have not made a trip to Treehouse, put it on your list of breweries to visit. It's well worth the effort.

4.69/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Yellow haze w a one finger off white head, some lacing

Smell a bit subdued compared to other Tree House IPA's I'very had, tropical fruit rinds with pine mixed in

Great, great taste on the bitter side of fruity, again rinds come to mind. Pine and bitterness eeking out the sweetness

Typical NE IPA carbonation, sticky-ness and juicy-ness

Overall another great Tree House IPA and a good break from Pineapple juice

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I don't often write reviews, but these guys deserve more than just a simple 1-5 rating.

Stopped by the brewery today. First time going on a Saturday, and the line was nonexistent.

Poured from a 750ml growler into a Tree House tulip-ish glass.

A: 1/2 inch perfectly white head. Transparent copper/orange color. Low head retention, but lots of lacing.

S: Sweet, candied sugars from the malts come in right behind an earthy (only slightly floral), pungent hop character. Overall, I guess you could describe the nose as very balanced.

T: Definitely a cloying aspect to the hops that knocks the balance toward the hop side of things. Still plenty of that candied sugar taste, but the taste is much more hoppy than the nose. Pine mixed with a bit of mango and peach. Plenty of bitterness in the finish as well.

M: Medium to low carb, just where it should be for an IPA. Pretty big body as well, which is how I feel like an earthy IPA should be. Smooth.

O: This is not your girlfriend's fruity, citra IPA. This is a beer with earthy, piney characteristics that get all up in your grill. It's a hop bomb, but a fairly balanced bomb. After all, a man can't drink Julius every night...OR CAN HE?

Sidenote: Maybe if John Mortarelli would have himself a couple pints of this sappy goodness maybe he wouldn't be such a Turd Ferguson

4.66/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Seems most either really, really love Sap or think it's "meh" c/w other TH offerings. I personally think that it's the best aging IPA in their arsenal...it's the only one I think tastes better after 2-3wks in the can as c/w fresh. Huge but pleasant piney aroma and bitterness perfectly balanced with grapefruit/citrus and a bit of stone fruit/mango for my palate. Supposedly has mainly chinook and simcoe...they play well together

4.64/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had several batches of Sap, finally getting around to reviewing it though, and I'll review the 2/25/16 I had.

L: That dark yellowish Tree House Hazy color.
S: The hops and the pine are clear in this one, and in a good way.
T: Well balanced and piney, with just a hint of fruit and sweetness! This batch had a little extra on all of the flavors. This batch was really on point in terms of flavor. I wish every batch was this tasty.
F: Like virtually all tree house beers, this one has a smooth fuzy feel to it that make it so enjoyable and refreshing to drink.
O: This is easily the best batch of Sap I've had (by a lot too). Everything on this beer was just a little bit better on this batch. Brought this to a beer share as an "extra" and one of those in case we run out of beer, we'll drink this, and it ended up really being a highlight.

4.64/5  rDev +7.9%

Wow.

They had Julius on tap when I went, so considering that is one of my favorite beers on the planet I was planning just to get a few bottles of Julius and be on my way.

Curiosity got the better of me though and I decided to grab a bottle of Sap as well.

VERY glad I did. As soon as I smelled this beer I was blown away. Absolutely fantastic nose on it, tropical/sweet/floral.... smells great.

Taste is on point as well. Maybe not quite the level of Julius but it's damn close. It has the tropical peach/mango flavor I love, but the finish is a little more pine/bitter.

Delicious. World class IPA.

4.63/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had 0 day old (canning date was same day I drank it, and it was cold as I received it from Tree House)

I love this beer probably more than most people do. Great change of pace from the typical juicy IPAs that are trendy now. As name would indicate, the initial taste is both piney and resiny reminiscent of some of the better north-west region IPAs. Very aromatic and earthy pleasant smell. The aftertaste is quite smooth, like all Tree House beers I've had so far. Very easy to drink. I could crush 10 of these easily without even realizing it.

Yet another great beer from Tree House. Shows their versatility not to brew just juicy IPAs but also quite delicious piney and resiny ones. Do not hesitate to get this one in a trade or at the brewery.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a beautiful hazy golden beer with a head that dissipates into really attractive wisps. leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

Smells amazing. Really upfront piney mango aromas. You can pick up on some other citrus and grapefruit but the mango overwhelms.

The taste comes off a bit more piney than the nose. Almost with a clean minty flavor. The mango is still pretty upfront and noticeable. It has a lot of hop bitterness as expected but this is so much more balanced than most IPA's Im used to.

Mouthfeel is a medium body, perfect for the style. low-moderate carbonation which suits the style perfectly.

This is one of the best IPAs I have ever had. Really Incredible. The balance between pine and mango and between the sweetness and the bitter hops is perfect. This is a must have. This beer is really changing the way I think of an IPA.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L - pours a dark, lightly opaque orange. Thick head consisting of course bubbles. Has a reddish fringe. Not sure if it's the label reflection or what, but it has a nice fall crimson glow.

S - cool blast of piney freshness. Slight malt sweetness. Some juicy aromas of pineapple and honey. Getting hints of cinnamon and nutmeg.

T - minty menthol-like pine. Most of the time, pine goes hand in hand with resin and dank. Not this beer. Manages to stay refreshing like a deep breath of cool, crisp winter air first thing in the morning. More hop-forward than traditional Tree House beers, but still hangs on to that juicy element. Light tropical notes of mango and bubblegum with a resonating bitterness on the end. Dries up any malt stickiness.

F - soft and creamy. Not as thick and juicebomb-ish as other Tree House brews.

O - a well-done departure from Tree House's bread and butter. May be a bit disarming if you're expecting juice, but all-in-all a nice break to pursue a more typical IPA while still retaining that delicious fruity flavor.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

un-frickin-believable! so light on the palate, cannot believe this is a 7.3% abv..... not such a distinctive flavor as the others i have had from Treehouse, but, taken wholly on its own, this is an amazing beer!

4.59/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The aroma hits of grapefruit, floral, and piney hops with some white bready malt.

The flavor follows with grapefruit, hints of peach, citrus peel, and resiny bitterness, white bready malts and some long sappy spruce on the finish.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Super fresh beer, poured that day at the brewery. The most interesting aspect of this beer is the smell- hugely piney with a healthy serving a citrus notes. Spicy backbone with a blunt hop finish. A really great beer. Of note: the brewery and staff were very cool, laid back atmosphere, a little out of the way but well worth the trip- as one could tell with license plates from nearly every New England state and New York state.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I am starting to come around on Sap.

This is the third time trying it and easily the best batch so far IMO. Looks just like any other TH beer with it's orange cloudy haze and yet smells more piney than others. Taste is just great with that familiar citrus creamy mouth feel but not as creamy and more bitterness on the back end. This is one of the more refreshing drinks as the mint/pine like qualities add to the already great experience.

Overall. TH makes another amazing beer. What else is new?

4.56/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Purchased from a tap fill directly at the brewery this weekend. Nice golden orange hue with thick head. Wonderful aroma. Sticky. Resin-like finish. Grassy. This is an IPA that makes people hate IPAs which is fine with me because it's awesome.

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Growler filled two days ago. Huge pine smell, sticky trail down the growler... just like sap. No complaints on the pour, there was almost no headspace. Taste was suprisingly sweet considering the aroma. I may be conditioned to expect bitter with such a strong smell... but overall pretty well balanced, maybe skewed a bit toward sweet/malty. Reminded me some of 90 min, but more aromatic, heavier on the pine. The lack of bitter finish made it easy drinking. Body was good, certainly not thin. Really pleasing overall, I hope there's some left when I go back on Thursday.

4.54/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

16 oz can. Pours opaque bright orange w two finger white foamy head, recedes very slowly leaving tons of lace. Pine tree dank hoppy aroma with sweet malt undertone. Great taste, pine tree n earthy hops dominate with some tropical fruit and a little sugary malt peeking through. Silky soft mouthfeel, just glides down. First time trying this one from TH, wish I had another.

4.52/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer went fast at the Tree House.. They Stop giving samples because they were running low. Love the way it looks .. Grapefruit taste to it. Not as hoppy as thought it would be..

Sap from Tree House Brewing Company