Sap | Tree House Brewing Company

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States

Style: American IPA

Our IPA brewed with Northwest American hops prominently featuring Chinook! A pungent aroma gives way to a delicate beer loaded with hop flavor. Soft notes of grapefruit, pine, pineapple, and young mango give way to a dry finish making this one hard to put down. We find Sap to be one of our most complex and intricate IPAs - We love it dearly!

Added by jlindros on 12-24-2012

Reviews: 124 | Ratings: 875
1.52/5  rDev -64.7%

If this beer didn't have the Tree House name, it wouldn't even be rated an 80. It tastes "off" from the beginning with and aftertaste that doesn't have a pine feel to it, but more like pine needles were dropped in. Sorry, this just doesn't do it for me.

2.7/5  rDev -37.4%

Look: Orange with a hefty portion of white head to it.
Smell: I personally detected a smell of pine and maybe a car air freshener.
Taste: I believe this matches the smell and it gives me a very fruity feeling to it.
Feeling: I would rate this as a nice smooth drink. With this being the last of my pack I bought up in Tree House I would rate this as a crush-able beer, I just am out of it so I can't do it.
Overall: Isn't on par with Julius but if there would be only this and my lowest rated beer on a table at a party, I will take this with a huge smile on my face.

3.48/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I love TH, esp Julius and Haze, but feel they missed it on this one. I really question them taking this from a Christmas beer to a full time offering. After standing in line for 2 hours to get 8 beers, I expected more, especially TH. I have tried 3 of the eight, but just don't get it, my guests will have to drink the other 5

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

Orangey body with an initial tight white head. Swampy orange and pine aroma, I believe this is mostly Chinook and it smells like it. Tastes like it smells with the heavy pine and orange rind lupelins sitting on the palate. A bit of mint and steel too. Thick body. Bitter hop oil finish.

Eh. Good but I was underrwhelmed by this offering after just having Treehouse's Green. There are a lot of equal and better Chinook centric offerings out there.

3.56/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Canned 4/13/2016.

Appearance - Much like Julius, Sap is a hazy specimen of a beer. It is not as radiant as Julius, however, as it takes on a darker hue. The head is just as dense with large swaths of foam coating the glass.

Aroma - The nose is decidly more piney than Julius for sure. It is dank and "wet" and has a hop profile more similar to the West Coast style than the New England style, so I'm in familiar territory here. The aroma is rounded out by a nice blend of tropical fruit, especially pineapple.

Taste - Well, I am now 2-for-2 on enjoying the aroma of Tree House IPAs better than the taste. The fruit components from the hops fall almost completely away, leaving only traces of their once juicy notes. Thankfully the pine is still out in full-force. There does exist a bit of mango in the finish which adds a touch of sweetness. A nice spiciness complements the pine.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel spot-on. It is nicely carbonated and has a soft, yet supportive, texture that helps the profile develop.

Closing Arguments - Overall, this is another solid IPA from Tree House, but again not one that is world-shattering. Sap doesn't have as much hype as some of the others, so this may be a bit more fair.

3.76/5  rDev -12.8%

Made my first trip to TH yesterday, very efficient system they have there, much more so than other similar breweries from NE. I was really looking forward to trying Sap but found it underwhelming.

Looks fantastic in the glass, beautiful hazy orange color, huge head and great lacing. Smell is VERY subtle, way less potent than I was expecting. Taste sort of followed suit. It's good but not world class IMHO. Nice soft, smooth mouthfeel but without the intense flavors I was hoping for.

I walked away with a lot of Curiosity 14 and that was delicious (review for another night) but Sap, well, I probably wouldn't get it again.

3.76/5  rDev -12.8%

Pours a straw-like golden color with very little aroma, which surprised me for a TH beer. It has that familiar TH 'base flavor' with added pine and some back end dryness. Didn't really feel full-flavored and certainly not a juice bomb like their usual line of IPAs/DIPAs. In a way, it felt like many of my favorite qualities in their IPAs were stripped out (intoxicating aromas, gushing juiciness) and swapped out for resiny pine and dryness. Not really my flavor and I'm a little thrown off considering the amount of clamoring on Twitter and this site for its return - easily the weakest IPA offering I've had from them. I'll pass on this in the future.

3.77/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

thanks sirsteve! classic ipa look. nose is a bit treasonous but fairly light. taste is sappy. decent nothing earth shattering. didn't hold a candle to lights out, but nut a bad ipa. little watery. not bad but nut my bag.

3.87/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours the typical Tree House deep orange haze, thought slightly less so than their other IPA's. Has a 2-finger bubbly white head that leaves some decent lacing.

The aroma is a little disappointing. I get lots of pine and citrus with a touch of mangoes and some pineapple. Good aroma, but not mind-blowing.

The flavor follows suit. Very piney and resiny with some orange and grapefruit notes. Very light on the tropical flavors.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Not as fluffy or smooth as expected. Pretty sticky and bitter on the aftertaste.

Overall, this is a good IPA, though it's definitely the weakest offering from Tree House. The flavors are far more straight forward and bitter than usual, and the mouthfeel just doesn't have the pillowy softness we've all come to know and love. Still, a damn good beer.

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

slightly hazy appearance but you can see through. The aroma is juicy and tropical but a little subdued. After having eureka last night, this isn't as in your face mango and grapefruit. There is definitely a little "dank" and pine but not overwhelming. The taste is slight pine bitterness followed by orange, mango, grapefruit. Similar to the aroma the flavor isn't in your face as I expected. It finishes very dry with a little pine bite at the end. Overall a great beer that's better than 80% of what you find on shelves but not worth the 1.5 hour drive when trilliums 20 minutes away. I'm holding out hope that their flagship beers will blow me away as their rankings suggest but so far with eureka w/ citra and sap...Trillium is better.

3.94/5  rDev -8.6%

Rating this on the Tree House scale, giving it only one thumb up. Just doesn't have the juicy dankness of most Tree House IPAs- and it's not meant to. Seems TH was going for a SN Celebration-like pine hop character. And in that, they succeeded. Light malt, drying pine bitterness. Very well made. But still not really where my tastes are at. Again, better than 95% of beers on the shelves, but for TH IPAs/APAs, this is a last pick for me.

3.96/5  rDev -8.1%

Pale grey, silverish yellow when pouring, which accumulates to a more cloudy yellow-orange with a large foamy head that recedes to a blanket with coral lacing.

This beer has some of the most distinct apricot I’ve smelled, yet it seems not a lot of others are picking up on it. This is accompanied by candy, vanilla, orange, and mango—nothing piney or sappy and I’m happy. It seems this is supposed to feature some of that harsh pine, and many others have noted as such, but I'm just not getting it and this can was a day old.

I'm normally not a big fan of that flavor profile so its absence is okay with me. In taste I actually get more mango, with bubblegum and watermelon as well. It's a very soft and delicate, semi-sweet flavor, and totally unexpected at that.

Feel is tangy with a yeast spiciness giving off a slight burn on the back end.

3.96/5  rDev -8.1%

Pounder can into a snifter appears a hazy golden orange color with a firm white cap that fades leaving stringy lace.

Aroma has a bit of citrus zest, rindy pith and grass. Pine resin and a little catty/sulfuric.

Taste is grassy with a bit of pine resin bitterness. Mild vegetative with a dry husky grain accent.

Medium in body with modest carbonation. Not a bad brew. Thank you kindly Kegatron for gifting me with this.

3.96/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a 750 mL growler into a tulip. This was filled yesterday, a little over 24 hours ago.

Appearance: Pours a translucent amber/gold and leaves a nice, fluffy, two-finger, white head.

Smell: Light pine, mild citrus, some pepper and mild spices as well. Fairly subtle aroma.

Taste: Big malt backbone with flavors of light mango, peaches, citrus rinds, earthy tones. Some hop bitterness towards the end.

Mouth-feel: Medium carbonation with a medium body. Some hop bitterness is found in the finish.

Overall: I would call this a malt-forward IPA as opposed to the real hop-forward Julius. Fairly refreshing and definitely not bad.

Fresh, same day 16-oz can poured into a tulip glass. Very chilled initially, but allowed to warm over time.

L: typical Tree House/NEIPA: cloudy, and thick
S: Resin, pine, tropical fruit. The pine and fruit actually go well together. Who woulduh thunk?
T: After having a ton of uber-tropical fruit IPAs lately, the piney, resiny IPA was a nice change. I found it to be more balanced as it sat and warmed a little. As it warmed more, the fruit came out more; however, it was less balanced. This is a solid east coast/west coast hybrid-fusion beer. It's not a "beer epiphany", it won't knock your socks off, but it's solid and unique enough that it's worth a try if you get access to a can.
F: typical TH/NEIPA: almost nitro-like, smooth. Just enough carb to accent some bitterness, not so much to detract from any flavors. In fact, the feel becomes part of the taste experience.
O: A solid beer. Different, yet familiar. I enjoyed it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Thanks to Reagan1984 for another Tree House offering. Served in a New Belgium tulip while watching Scarface with Mark and Lisa.

A - White foam settles to a near-complete cap, thick collar, and specks of lace. Hazed orange body.

S - Interesting nose - I might have guessed El Dorado hops here, but apparently it's just a Chinook/Cascade blend. In any case, there was loads of citrus flesh with mild pine and grass in the periphery. The malt character seems a bit bigger here than with Julius. Perhaps a bit of crystal malt, as I get some red fruit and licorice notes. Not bad, but a bit disappointing compared to Julius.

T - The taste is more successful than the aroma. A nice mix of tangerine zest, icing sugar malts, and surprisingly high bitterness (this makes sense now that I know Chinook was the main hop). While it never gets out of check, it certainly lives up to the name and gives the impression of licking pine sap by the end of the growler.

M - Medium body, pleasant carbonation, dry finish, and no obvious alcohol. Quite resinous and oily, as you'd expect from the name.

D - A solid IPA that actually reminds me a bit of Haymarket's better offerings in the balance of malt and hops. I generally dislike all/mainly Chinook beers, so this is a success by any measure for me, just not a beer I'd get often.

4.01/5  rDev -7%

Full disclosure - I am a super fan of Tree House brews, especially the juice bombs. And while I think the boys from Monson knock just about all of them out of the park, I find this IPA remarkable only in that it has the smooth mouth feel that seems to be in all of the TH products. Otherwise, a pretty standard, very good (not world class) piney hopped IPA.

4.02/5  rDev -6.7%

A dusty yellow amber color with a giant off white head and lots of chunky lacing left on the tulip glass. The aroma brings strong but balanced lemon pine, bright yet bready good. The flavor offers an aggressive earthy, leafy hops accompanied by a sweet buttery bready malt. The hop has some astringency but may reflect that I got the last growler out of that keg. I get a hint of bubblegum and some leafy ideas. It mellows as your tongue adjusts to the bite and it settles into a very agreeable IPA that was indeed worth the 1 hour plus wait at the lovable little country brewery. The body is medium but the feel is a refreshing tingly deal with decent drinkability for any hop lover. A nice introduction to Tree House.

4.02/5  rDev -6.7%

16oz can. Served in a snifter.

Hazy medium copper body, two finger offwhite head with a nice long retention time, lots of lacing that drops into a fluffy film and medium collar. Smells mostly of pine and leaf, very pine-forward. Solid caramel malt backbone, but it's quite pine-forward. Flavour is moderately pine forward, backed up by a mild grapefruit flavour with a bit of floral and resin on the backend. Moderate caramel backbone is present, stronger than some of the other Tree House IPAs I've had, but it's important in balancing out the strong pine here. It tastes quite a bit like Chinooker'd, to be honest. That's the closest I'd put it. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, resinous, a bit sticky, dry. The slightest hint of alcohol, but I think that's the resin more than any ethanol. Overall, an enjoyable IPA that's quite pine-forward if that's your thing. Not one of Tree House's best, but still far better than most other IPAs.

4.03/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured from a growler into a glass
A: Straw yellow with excellent head retention and lacing.
S: Lots of hops and saison type flavor. Piny hops.
T: good malt, low hop flavor. Good balance overall.
M: Very full and well balanced. Flavors are consistent.
O: Great, probs would have been slightly better fresh but a great beer.

4.04/5  rDev -6.3%

750 mL bottle poured into a taster. Growler dated 9/28/2013.

Appearance - Hazy and pretty pale. Golden orange. Nice lacing.

Taste - Orange citrus hop. Not an overwhelming hop flavor, but pleasant. Sweet malt. Pale malts. Medium bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Balanced is an appropriate word. Medium carbonation.

Overall - It's sweet but I don't seem to mind. Hoppy enough to keep me happy.

4.04/5  rDev -6.3%

The beer is solid but has a Malty back taste. Strong dry hop smell and solid cloudy look. Pretty drinkable beer but too malty to make it one that I would seek out

4.06/5  rDev -5.8%

Finally had a chance to give this a go today, after trading for this can dated 2/23 a while back. I loved the Julius and Haze but for some reason, this was a bit of letdown to me. No flavors in particular stood out to me and this wasn't as juicy or hoppy as other beers that I had from them and while it went down smoothly, there wasn't anything memorable when it came to this brew.

The pour was by far the best aspect of this beer, as the hue was a wonderfully cloudy deep apricot with a massive head loaded with bubbles of all sizes. Amazingly, the lacing was even better as a majority of the back of my pint glass was covered by an intricate web of foam and froth that was some of the thickest that I've ever seen. Grapefruit and pineapple were indeed in the nose but not as strong as I had wished and they were in the taste but...where was the sap? This stuff was so thin and I kept waiting for a thick, oily sheen of resin and dankness to kick in and of course, that never happened. Hardly any carbonation here and not a juicy presence here even though this was just slick enough to have an underlying amount of citrus here. Just a hint of pine in the aftertaste but that was short-lived after each sip.

Enough booze was present here and that came through more and more as I worked my way through this. While not a bad beer, it didn't live up to it's name or the reputation of the more popular beers in Tree House's portfolio. If you like IPA's, (and who doesn't?) this will suffice but with so many out there, this wouldn't be one that I'd reach for first. Only worth a go once...

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

L: Lovely hazy gold with white billowy head.

S: Tons of hop resin off the bat. Lingering scents of melon and tropical fruit. Fruity esters

T: Hop bitterness is a touch harsher than Julius. Starts off tasting like orange juice, then moves to relatively even bitterness on the palate. Hint of malt and somewhat unidentifiable hop flavors.

F: Very nice and light. Edges are just a tad rough but overall very solid example of the style.

O: Liked it, didn't love it like Julius.

4.09/5  rDev -5.1%

Reviewed from notes. Growler shared by drewone - Thanks.

A: Pours clear, light orangish with a quarter inch thick white head which fades to a cap and leaves spotty lace.

N: A boat load of pine with some citrus also plus very floral. Nice.

T: Resiny pine with a balance of caramel malts. Faint citrus notes.

M: Moderate body and medium carbonation (from growler). Sticky, resiny, pine finish.

O: Solid and a runner up to Julius. Enjoyed.

Sap from Tree House Brewing Company