Sap | Tree House Brewing Company

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States
treehousebrew.com

Style: American IPA

Our IPA brewed with Northwest American hops prominently featuring Chinook! A pungent aroma gives way to a delicate beer loaded with hop flavor. Soft notes of grapefruit, pine, pineapple, and young mango give way to a dry finish making this one hard to put down. We find Sap to be one of our most complex and intricate IPAs - We love it dearly!

Added by jlindros on 12-24-2012

#444

Ratings: 1,207 |  Reviews: 185
1.52/5  rDev -64.9%

If this beer didn't have the Tree House name, it wouldn't even be rated an 80. It tastes "off" from the beginning with and aftertaste that doesn't have a pine feel to it, but more like pine needles were dropped in. Sorry, this just doesn't do it for me.

2.25/5  rDev -48%

2.51/5  rDev -42%

2/28/17 can into a TEKU
turbid grey yellow small quickly disappearing head game
smells like VOMIT and rotting lemons some sap but it's more vomit than sap some mustard and roasted malts as it warms
taking a sip i get green tea and dry sake and toasted sesame and roasted wakame
mouthfeel is good medium carb bubbly not creamy
0verall another DISAPPOINTING over hyped treehouse beer. it should be called sushi.

2.7/5  rDev -37.6%

Look: Orange with a hefty portion of white head to it.
Smell: I personally detected a smell of pine and maybe a car air freshener.
Taste: I believe this matches the smell and it gives me a very fruity feeling to it.
Feeling: I would rate this as a nice smooth drink. With this being the last of my pack I bought up in Tree House I would rate this as a crush-able beer, I just am out of it so I can't do it.
Overall: Isn't on par with Julius but if there would be only this and my lowest rated beer on a table at a party, I will take this with a huge smile on my face.

2.96/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.26/5  rDev -24.7%

look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

3.43/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.48/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I love TH, esp Julius and Haze, but feel they missed it on this one. I really question them taking this from a Christmas beer to a full time offering. After standing in line for 2 hours to get 8 beers, I expected more, especially TH. I have tried 3 of the eight, but just don't get it, my guests will have to drink the other 5

3.5/5  rDev -19.2%

Orangey body with an initial tight white head. Swampy orange and pine aroma, I believe this is mostly Chinook and it smells like it. Tastes like it smells with the heavy pine and orange rind lupelins sitting on the palate. A bit of mint and steel too. Thick body. Bitter hop oil finish.

Eh. Good but I was underrwhelmed by this offering after just having Treehouse's Green. There are a lot of equal and better Chinook centric offerings out there.

3.54/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.55/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Clear-ish yellow, retaining foam.

Wood, floral must.

Somewhere between West and East coast style. It's kinda bitter and kinda juicy and kinda turbid. Lemon heady, clovey, otherwise can't put my finger on specifics.

Light and dry.

3.56/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Canned 4/13/2016.

Appearance - Much like Julius, Sap is a hazy specimen of a beer. It is not as radiant as Julius, however, as it takes on a darker hue. The head is just as dense with large swaths of foam coating the glass.

Aroma - The nose is decidly more piney than Julius for sure. It is dank and "wet" and has a hop profile more similar to the West Coast style than the New England style, so I'm in familiar territory here. The aroma is rounded out by a nice blend of tropical fruit, especially pineapple.

Taste - Well, I am now 2-for-2 on enjoying the aroma of Tree House IPAs better than the taste. The fruit components from the hops fall almost completely away, leaving only traces of their once juicy notes. Thankfully the pine is still out in full-force. There does exist a bit of mango in the finish which adds a touch of sweetness. A nice spiciness complements the pine.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel spot-on. It is nicely carbonated and has a soft, yet supportive, texture that helps the profile develop.

Closing Arguments - Overall, this is another solid IPA from Tree House, but again not one that is world-shattering. Sap doesn't have as much hype as some of the others, so this may be a bit more fair.

3.64/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.65/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.68/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.68/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Sap from Tree House Brewing Company