Green | Tree House Brewing Company

GreenGreen

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Our cross-continental IPA. Made with Australian and American hops, this citrus heavy IPA opens up in the glass with notes of pineapple, tangerine, and orange rind. It’s sharply bitter and nearly 8% ABV. . . The name comes from the initial batch in which, post boil, the wort looked green from so much hop particulate floating around. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

Added by jaasen64 on 01-12-2013

Reviews: 260 | Ratings: 1,900
4.59/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Canned 9/19/16. Consumed 9/25. I found this one to be a bit raw and vegetal shortly after canning.

Slightly more than one finger of dense white head. Becomes a bit soapy as it recedes, but there's solid retention and excellent lacing. Hazy, pulpy, translucent body. Deep orange, the color of overripe cantaloup flesh.

Aromas of pineapple, citrus, fresh-cut grass. Picking up a lot of honeydew melon.

Follows the nose. Honeydew melon and bubblegum underlying the entire sip. Tropical fruits dominate the start while the grassy and citrus (tart lemon flesh) notes dominate the finish.

Mouthfeel is typical of a Tree House IPA. Fuller-bodied and medium carbonation for the style. Soft. Slightly prickly finish.

Overall an excellent IPA, but a bit sweet for my taste. The honeydew and bubblegum notes linger and make this beer a sipper.

4.75/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into my Tree House goblet.
A - Pours like an orange milk shake with a thick white head. Some may not like the murky look but I am just fine with it.
S - The aroma is strong and juicy juicy. Pop the can and let the aroma wash over you.
T - Flavor is orange sweet on the front end with grapefruit pith coming right behind. Hardly any bitterness.
O - Awesome beer, one of my favorite IPA's.

4.88/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I wanted to try this beer before reading any reviews about it. Finally last weekend I managed to go to Treehouse Brewery and get the 'Green'.

I have had a different beer from this same place before. But 'Green' exceeded all my expectations. It is simply the best IPA I've ever had. It is little hasty, smells great and the taste is unbelievable. It is worth much more than what they charge for it.

4.71/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I am a huge fan of Tree House.
This, as with almost everything else I have had from them is absolutely fantastic.
Don't ever pass up the chance to have, trade for, or purchase any Tree House brews.

4.63/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great IPA. Review below mine is almost my exact thoughts. Strong alcohol content but doesn't taste it, and one of the least bitter IPAs I've had. I'm not going to pretend like I can taste every note or flavor, but it's fruity, and smooth. I let someone who's doesn't typically like IPAs try it, and they loved it. Another great Treehouse beer. I don't think it's quite as good as their Julius, but it's pretty damn close.

4.8/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

It is an exceptionnal IPA. The only one I've tasted that came close to this was from Maine Brewing Co. Green is a fresh, very fruity yet complex beer. Very balanced, I'm not gonna bother detailing all the aromas, it's just amazing, that's all you need to know. I had doubts about the hype surrounding Tree House, no more though. I disagree that this is a hophead beer, this beer isn't very bitter nor is it challenging. Everyone should be able to enjoy it, you don't feel the 7.6% ABV at all.

4.42/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 2L growler filled on 9/2 into a Gabriel Glas Gold stem.

Look: Pours more clear initially and then as it settles in the glass it turns into an opaque golden orange with a nice white head

Smell: Smells of cantaloupe, pineapple and orange with hints of petrol and rubber

Taste: A lot more cantaloupe on the palate with pine and grapefruit – my only complaint is there is a touch of heat from the 7.6% ABV

Mouth Feel: Nice weight with a long finish that ends with some nice sweetness to balance with the bitterness of the hops

Overall: A delicious beer that is incredibly drinkable. I’m very impressed with the quality across the Tree House beers that I’ve had the chance to try. This is not the best of the line-up, but still a very high quality IPA that stacks up against most other IPAs.

I've had most of TH's lineup. Including a few of the rare ipas. Green may very well be my favorite. IMO it may be the most balance ipa that they put out. Its malty yet crushable. Seriously, this is the beer that I tend to get carried away with. Its very juicy, I get the pineapple juice comparison like crazy. It also has a very nice hoppy aftertaste. It is a little dank and I love it. I can almost find julius and alter to be a little thin. Green really skirts the line between an ipa and a double. Like all tree house ipas the smell is obviously great. If anything this is one of the better ones. It'll lace a glass like no other. If I could get only one tree house brew regularly, this would probably have to be the one. Its just so well balanced and always scratches the itch no matter what mood I'm in.

4.4/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Can from Reagan1984 via northyorksammy. Thanks guys! Served in my Indie tasting snifter at work. Canned 8/19/2016.

A - It's a Northeastern IPA alright; turbid and murky. Off-white foam settles to a thin cap, thicker collar, and splotchy lacing. I'm still not a fan of drinking milky looking IPAs, but I realize this is 'to style' as well.

S - Passion fruit, guava, pineapple grass, citrus peel. Pretty hoppy, juicy, stuff. Some light sugary malt in the periphery to support things.

T - The taste is a bit sweeter and punchier, with great tropical fruit, citrus, zesty flavors mixed with sweet sugar cookie malts. I normally don't like Galaxy hops but whatever else Treehouse has mixed in as tempered things. Quite a nice IPA with the balance of flavors and bitterness that I prefer. Aftertaste is very...green.

M - Oily and resinous, with lingering stickiness on the palate. Surprised that this almost 8%. Drinks more like 5-6%. Good heft, on the heavier side of medium in body. Soft, medium-low carbonation.

D - Just a really well made IPA. Really appreciate that Greg was willing to brave the lines to grab some cans. I miss the good old days when Tree House was under the radar. Would happily drink again on any occasion.

4.65/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Canned 8/31/16
Reviewed 8/31/16

Pours a light straw color with two inch foamy head. Hazier than most Tree House brews if you can believe it.

Smells sweet, tropical, fruity

Taste of Grapefruit, Pineapple, some lemon. Juicy taste, makes me salivate just remembering

Creamy on the tongue with adequate carbonation. Dry

Another excellent offering from Tree House, though they don't need my approval. Probably my favorite after SAP

4.12/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Can dated 07/12/16.
Pours opaque and cloudy pale orange with a thick khaki head that remains as wisps on top and leaves thick strands of lace. The smell is of bitter grapefruit juice with hints of tropical fruit and pine. The taste follows with a full texture and medium carbonation. Aggressively hopped and bitter up front and settles to a refreshing citrus bomb.

4.23/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

1 PINT can
Served in a tulip glass

This beer pours murky like pineapple juice, but a shade darker. It is topped with three inches of off white head that leaves behind some nice lacing.

I get some pineapple and pine aroma.

It starts out with some pineapple and tropical fruit. Pine comes in the middle and in the finish.

Medium to full mouthfeel for an IPA.

My first Tree House beer. It reminds me of Hoof Hearted's Roller Blabe. It is good, but it does not match the hype for my palate. I am grateful to have tried it by the generosity of a fellow beer enthusiast. I need to do more research of this brewery.

4.56/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy fruit bomb! Small tan head, so much tropical fruit, pineapple, mango.
A big mouthfull, taste is pure fruit juice thought the taste is not as strong as the aroma. Strong pineapple in the taste

4.87/5  rDev +6.3%

From can into chalice.

Turbid deep yellow/light orange haze appearance with pillowy white foam. Smell is tropical with just a faint hint of pine. But, mostly pineapple, tangerine and other exotic fruits really deliver on the flavor with the noticeable Galaxy hops. Creamy mouthfeel and very easy to drink.

Yet another phenomenal beer from Tree House. As far as IPAs overall, it's between this and Julius (which has a distinctly different taste and aroma).

4.4/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to my dude A.B. for bringing this back from Mass! Looks like a milkshake, super cloudy. I think it looks cool. Smell: Whoa! It smells like you're opening up a can of dole cut pineapples. Nice hop aromas around the edges of the fruit-splosion. Just smells super fruity. Crazy. Taste is a really nice mix of pineapple, papaya, nice very slightly sweet malt, enriching and balanced hops. Feel is very nice, rich, smooth, perfect carbonation. Overall: A must-have!

4.59/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours like turbid grapefruit juice with a dense foamy head. As the beer is consumed the head leaves bands of sticky lacing. There is a lot of pineapple and other citrus fruits in the nose. Perhaps a bit of melon and some pine as well. The taste is pineapple, a bit of sweetness and a spectacular bitter hop finish. This beer is medium bodied and creamy. This is a truly balanced and delicious beer with a great mouthfeel.

4.24/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Smell is mango, pineapple, a hint of passionfruit, and a hint of tangerine. Taste was heavy pineapple juice, mango, juicy citrus, and a nice hop bitterness. Liked this one better than Julius.

4.84/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Another excellent beer from Monson. Heavy melon notes, pineapple, less citrus. Awesome mouthfeel. This one had eluded me for a while, but got a fresh 750 bottled this past week that I was more than happy to share.

4.67/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Canned last week, poured into a tree house tulip.

Looks like a hazy juice bomb. Some lacing, but it sticks.

Smells like tangerine or oranges, but lighter on the fruit than their normal beers. More hops on the nose.

Taste is amazing. It's hopped up for sure. Nice bright fruit, balanced, and juicy.

Mouth feel is medium bodied with a smooth Finish.

Overall. Love it. They don't disappoint. This brew was juicy with hops, and a nice finish. Wish I had more but I only got one of these.

3.45/5  rDev -24.7%

Looks like all their other beers: cloudy and yellow-orange. It smells great, but tastes unbalanced. I thought it was too cold, so let it warm a bit. No, still out of balance. Mouthfeel is like their other beers too: thick and the flavor lingers. Overall, not their best beer.

HOWEVER: I had one that was a bit over a month old (5-6 weeks, I think) and it was much better. This beer needs to sit a bit to balance out.

4.75/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

can from 7/12...just a few days ago. have been fortunate enough to have this a few times, but always psyched to get the chance. probably my favorite treehouse? just super juicy...great bidy, just killer.

3.97/5  rDev -13.3%

Appearance is pulpy OJ with a large, foamy, bulbously lopsided eggshell colored head that leaves thin, sporadic lace.

Smell is pineapple, bright green freshly cut Christmas tree, orange, white pepper, and kiwi. It sounds like a strongly vibrant nose, but I think in this brew the aromas are subdued a touch, not sure why.

Sweet vanilla, peach, orange, with a lot of same yeast spiciness found in some Hoof Hearted beers Ohio locals tend to complain about when ultra fresh. There is also a bitter but bright element, like lemon rind.

This is a super soft beer, like bubblegum juice, and it goes down all too quickly.

4.65/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Received a Green 16 oz pounder in a trade along with some other great beers from Tree House and Trillium. Did comparison with Green, Alter Ego, Bright w/ Nelson and Artaic. Green won. Pours a beautiful hazy golden with orange hint and fruity aroma and flavor. Delicious!

4.36/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

My dad showed up today. He's on a modified car raceteam. Travels around NewEngland. He brought me this little gem. 16oz.can with a coozy!!.
He told me, the line of people waiting for canned take home pours was long.
Galaxy hops, man o man. Righteous hop. Herbal, dry earth, sweet fruity layers in both aroma and flavor. Reminds me very much of the mega complex Heady Topper. Seriously, the layers of flavor just keeps riding in.
Seriously enjoyable quoff. Easier on the pallet, but Still, each gulp held something new. The hop/malt balance being in the Heady topper region.
Balance is amazing and the drinkability is very high.
I had never heard of this brewery until today. Sweet surprise.

UPDATED REVIEW: Canned 7/12, consumed 7/17.

A: More than any other beer I’ve ever had, this beer pours like freshly squeezed orange juice. Incredibly turbid and vibrant in the glass. Puffy head of tiny bubbles sticks around for a while, leaving a thick lacing up the glass.

S: Straight up perfectly ripe, sugary sweet citrus fruit. Orange, tangerine, pineapple, peach. Subtle notes of freshly cut herbs. Doughy, sugary white bread. Ripe banana. Bubble gum. Insanely tropical and appetizing.

T: Tropical fruit explosion. Right off the bat, Green hits you with some powerful hop flavors. The Tree House tasting notes are spot on—I definitely get the orange sorbet and pineapple. Some peach and yellow grapefruit as well. It’s initially extremely juicy without much sweetness, which allows you to really hone in on the explosion of flavor. The tropical burst transitions into the typical Tree House sweet bready yeast. Finishes with perfect level of bitterness over herbaceous notes of pine.

M: Unbelievably creamy and drinkable for a 7.5% beer. Tropical fruity flavors coat the mouth before being overtaken by a medium bitterness that accompanies the rich, piney, herbaceous aftertaste.

O: This is my second time having Green, and I can definitively say that it is my favorite IPA (from a list that includes Julius…). The initial tropical burst is perfectly complemented by the soft, doughy mouthfeel that follows. The transition to a substantially bitter, resinous, almost vegetal herby finish is one of the most unique and enjoyable aspects of this beer. I could drink this everyday. Totally deserving of my first 5/5.

Green from Tree House Brewing Company