Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Green | Tree House Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
GreenGreen

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Our cross-continental IPA. Made with Australian and American hops, this citrus heavy IPA opens up in the glass with notes of pineapple, tangerine, and orange rind. It’s sharply bitter and nearly 8% ABV. . . The name comes from the initial batch in which, post boil, the wort looked green from so much hop particulate floating around. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

Added by jaasen64 on 01-12-2013

Reviews: 242 | Ratings: 1,741
4.65/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, my first sip of Treehouse lives up to all the hype.

L: Pours a beautiful light gold with a thick haze from the flaked oats and oddly, almost no head.

S: Smells incredible. Certainly grapefruit and hops. I can smell the tangerine they mention on the can as well.

T: Taste is absolutely delicious. Very fruity with grapefruit and tangerine up front. Piney hops (but not overloading) and maybe a touch of peach and pineapple in the background. Invigorating and juicy as if there was fresh fruit in the glass.

F: Feel is juicy and refreshing with a bit of over-carbonation, probably to accommodate for the flaked oats. Finish is dry and crisp like you just took a bite of an apple. Almost finishes like a hard cider.

I would drink these in the summer and probably choose it over Bissell Bros Swish to be truthful.

4.58/5  rDev -0.2%

3rd favorite TH beer to date, behind Haze then Very Hazy.

L: Super hazy. Looks like murky pineapple juice. Wonderful thick head.

S: Very, very tropical. Like Dole tropical fruit juice. As it warms up, it has this interesting spice like quality that I get out of saisons. It's very unique and good, but I think for me it just holds it back from being perfect.

T: Exact same as the smell.

O: Fantastic IPA, one of the best I've had. Like I mentioned, the only thing holding it back from 5's across the board is that spicy, saison like quality. Kind of resembles clove or hay.

I just want to mention that TH beers, while very intense in their own way, have this subtleness to them that doesn't make the beer overpowering. It's different, but makes the beers so incredibly drinkable.

4.88/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Literally might be in my top five beers of all time. So delicious, so smooth, and so juicy. I could drink one of these ar any point in the year. Hell, this would quench my thirst after running a half marathon. I can't say enough about this beer!

4.32/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had in a tulip glass from a can dated 3/15/2016.

Look: Julius aint got nothing on this beer being hazy. This is nearly opaque. I hate the whole "look of a beer" debate going on right now but it isn't that golden haze that appeals to me. Granted, don't base the score of the look of the beer. More on that later.
Smell: Pineapple. WOW PINEAPPLE. That is all I am getting from this. A little orange and a good bit of that hop aroma, but pineapple is straight in my nose. Good smelling beer again.
Taste: Delicious. This is a "where did my beer go" kind of beer. It has a good upfront hop profile that dies a bit quick, but it isn't a palate wrecker like some beers out there. The malt backbone is nice and sweet. I could drink this beer constantly though. The alcohol is covered to a point I don't notice it at all, and the beer itself is quite refreshing. This is a fantastic beer. I will say I liked julius better, but this beer is a great beer.
Feel: This has a good mouthfeel. The hops don't overpower you and kill your mouth, and the sweetness of the malt is there on the aftertaste.
Overall: This is my third beer from Treehouse and they are straight killing it. I have a couple cans of Julius to confirm my opinion on that beer and lucked into getting one of the Green cans. I really enjoy this beer and will say this is a fantastic IPA. I love how it doesn't overkill my tastebuds, but rather gently massages it over the course of the drink. Again, quite jealous at the folks in MA.

4.4/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy orange in color with a finger of white head, very reminiscent of orange juice. Aroma is very tropical with lots of pineapple, some citrus, and mango. The taste is straight juice and is heavy on the tropical fruits; mango, papaya, pineapple, tangerine, and peach. Medium-light body and moderate carbonation yield a pillowy mouthfeel. Overall a good beer and an excellent representation of a New England style IPA but I just wasn't feeling it.

4.26/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Green is delicious, different hop flavor than I am used to. Very Potent, but definitely great, I prefer Julius a bit more, but would go for this beer any time. Each time I have it I like it more and more.

4.86/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

pours light yellow, aroma of citrus, taste is also citrus with pine, more complex than I am making it seem. Feels rich, creamy, foamy. Another great New England IPA.

4.92/5  rDev +7.2%

An impressive bubble show creates a meringue-like head layered on top of the cloudy honey colored liquid; excellent retention with plenty of lacing to boot. Smells like a combination of all the tropical fruit juices you have ever smelt.

Tropical juice flavors forward, with mango, papaya, guava, pineapple, lime and orange; stone fruit flavors as well.

Green is perfection. A text book New England IPA.

4.74/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is magical. Canned on 3/15, it produces a cloudy orange appearance with significant head and plenty of lace from start to finish. It smells like sex on a platter. Pineapple and clean sweat. Imagine making love to Elisha Cuthbert and all you can smell is her hair, and that Victoria's Secret body spray she uses, liberally. This is that smell. Fresh, over ripe and bursting with aroma. Mango lassi in beer form. The taste follows but with different layers of tropical goodness, and that tongue smacking bitterness that you expect and deserve from an IPA. Seared peach skin, orange rind, gentle coriander, grainy cracker, faint pear. All of that. The feel is Hayden Panettiere on the tongue. So smooth, so soft, so gentle. It lays on the tongue just long enough to remind you how good Tree House does what they do best - IPAs. Believe the hype; this company is the upper echelon of IPA. They never fail to disappoint. All scores warranted, all pours are the shit. Larrrrrrrrrrrge.

4.5/5  rDev -2%

Very good brew. It's definitely a lighter IPA, but mixed very well, and lives up to the Treehouse standard. I would definitely recommend as this is better than most, but not their best. I agree with the BROS' rating on this one.

Canned 3/03. Pours haze for days; nice, deep orange color with a finger head that leaves a nice layer of lacing along the glass. Smells of pure orange juice mixed with peach, pineapple, nectarine, orange sherbet. Tastes like fresh squeezed orange juice with pineapple and peach mixed in. The mouthfeel on this beer is nice and full bodied for an IPA.

5/5

4.69/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Completely unfiltered, cloudy, orange body with a thick, frothy off-white head. Aroma is big of tropical fruits and citrus; grapefruit, mango, juicy citrus. Flavor is more unfiltered hop goodness. Big and juicy with tons of tropical fruits and big juicy citrus. Feel is medium bodied, feels unfiltered, medium carbonation. Really fantastic IPA from Tree House. Really awesome.

4.33/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Really great Tree House beer here. Poured a hazy gold with excellent hop aromas. Flavor was excellent as well. Hop profiles galore, but subtle as well. Did not overwhelm any of the senses, but rather balanced them all out for a great drinking experience.

4.52/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love this beer. Depending on the batch I can swing to Julius or this but as I get older I am starting to switch to Green.

I have reviewed several TH beers already. This beer is like most of other TH beers. Start at a 4.25 on everything and go up from there. Color is like every other IPA from TH. Smell is like a cousin of Sap as it is more "green". The taste can be compared to Sap but has that more earthy back end I like.

Overall just trade, but, hunt down this beer. It's a must try as it is one of the more constant offerings at TH.

4.98/5  rDev +8.5%

Treehouse can do no wrong.
They make the absolute best examples of new england style IPA's

L: Treehouse haze for days, finger, finger and a half of head.

S: tropical fruits, grapefruit, pineapple, tangerine, even a slight bit of ripe peaches

T: follows the nose perfectly!

F: medium-ish mouthfeel, pillowy, smooth.

O: Treehouse green is one of my all time favorites, and always will be.

4.4/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

16oz can: this one pours a hazy, opaque golden color. There was lots of head and some lacing. Good nose. Lots of citrus, pine and tropical notes. The taste is also very good. Suprisingly not overly bitter with a bit of sweetness. Tropical flavors, malts, touch of biscuit. Really Nice!

4.93/5  rDev +7.4%

Tons of citrus, orange and grapefruit. Not much bitterness. Alcohol is hard to taste. Mouthfeel is about the best it can get, and overall a great beer.

4.57/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My first TH beer. I am not a fan of IPAs but these guys intrigued me as I heard they are juicy as opposed to bitter and all the acclaim and hullaballoo is well-deserved. Looks thick and hazy like apple juice/cider color. Smells like grapefuit, citrus, and orange peel. Thick silty mouthfeel. Acidity was great as was the citrus juice and none of that west coast Cali bitterness that attacks the throat which is why I do not care for IPAs. This beer opened my eyes to the world of the Juicy East Coast IPA. Excellent beer!

4.6/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

not fond of ultra-cloudy brews but this one, like the Trilliums, is different..... super aromatic and super juicy and flavorful.... without letting the superstar status affect me, this is a VERY good brew....

4.5/5  rDev -2%

Poured a hazy orange grapefruit juice color. with a 2 finger head that lasted for a wile that turned into a nice lace. This beer can not be seen through at all. its so thick and pulpy looks just like grapefruit juice.the aroma is out of this world one of the best aromas on a beer I have ever smelled. So much going on I picked up,tropical orange juice,grape fruit juice,rainbow sherbet,a little green onion grassy flavor.the aroma is AMAZING!!!!!!
The taste fell a little short for me, if it followed more along with the aroma it would have been flawless. It was mostly a pure grapefruit juice bomb. at times I forgot I was drinking beer I thought it was juice. There were small amounts of mango and pineapple flavors finishing with a earthy green onion grassy finnish. Overall this beer was fantastic!!!!!!!

4.58/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Well hello there you green beautiful bastard. Like your orange friend, you make me quite happy. I made a trade a while back that included either you or Dr. J and I feel I would be lost without either of you. Green is a dank, delicious, juicy, treat, that packs just a little bit more punch than Julius, but also drinks like something you could have in the morning with your bacon and eggs.

4.62/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the 16oz can dated 02/16/16 into a snifter glass last night, 5 days old. Comes out this beautiful hazy bright gold with some orange hues, nice off white head leaves lacing.

Smell is just dank, wet carpet, tropical fruit, tons of hop juice. Flavor is much sweeter and fruitier than the nose implies. Sweetness right off the bat, decent malt bill provides a slight resistance to the hop onslaught. Notes of pineapple, mango, orange sherbert. Finishes with a ton of hop oil, lingering. Smooth creamy mouthfeel, decent body for an IPA, maybe a bit heavy. Overall one of the better beers I've had, super yummy.

4.24/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to knicks19947 for the chance.

Pours like a pulpy juice which looks great but the head and foam are lacking a little bit. Flavor is pulpy grapefruit, juicy with no bitterness. Very well balanced.

4.81/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

As close to the great new england style hazy hop explosion that has been created. I crave and dream of this beer. pillowy goodness of citrus, tangerine, creamsicle, oh god.

Purchased on 17Feb 2016 and imbibed 18Feb2016. Poured from can to Duvel tulip. This was a must visit as it was only 45min out of the way from my trip from Milford, CT to Winooski, VT for Heady Topper.
A: Hazy, almost glowing orange-yellow; completely opaque; thick pure white head overflowing the glass. Beautiful!
S: Peppery, hopped, pineapple and tangerine… very well balanced.
T: The orange really comes through here… beautiful citrusy, sweet hops with a nice, bitter finish.
M: On the thinner side with medium carbonation, but the flavors and aromas just hold on…
O: I got well over a month supply of Heady on the 9hr drive, but will make it a weekly Wed. can run to Tree House based on this beer. In comparison to Heady it is difficult to compare. We almost need a straight hoppy and citrusy, sweet hoppy category with Green being the latter. Heady would slightly edge out Green, but I will wake up craving this one when it is gone

Green from Tree House Brewing Company