Pilsner Style Beer | Churchkey Can Co.

Pilsner Style BeerPilsner Style Beer
3.4/5
Pilsner Style BeerPilsner Style Beer

Churchkey Can Co.
Washington, United States
churchkeycanco.com

Style: German Pilsener

Inside each Churchkey can, craft beer lovers will find a delicious Pacific Northwest-brewed Pilsner-style craft beer. The recipe for which was originated by Portland-based home brewers Lucas Jones and Sean Burke – who have been crafting home brewed beer in their garages for many years, and are passionate about their beer and the community they cultivate with it – the Churchkey Pilsner is made using only the highest quality ingredients. The body of the beer comes from the light, grainy pilsner malt taste, accented by a smooth clean bitterness. The Saaz hop taste and aroma featured in the Churchkey Pilsner make for a uniquely complex, yet sessionable beer at 4.9 percent ABV and a 29 IBU.

Added by draheim on 04-17-2012

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

Bit of a gimmick here but that can be nice if done correctly.

I got the aluminum can version.

Clear yellow colored beer with a small white colored head that doesn't last.

Smells of toasted grain and caramel candy. Hop presence is mostly grass.

Starts out with a strong mineral water taste and a bit of astringency. medium bitter with some metallic taste. Little bit of caramel and hay taste.

Mouthfeel is is good.

Overall kind of an average pilsner out of a novel can.

3.78/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pretty tasty pils from an unknown brewery. Unknown=a good thing. Born on date says mid Sept. Today is 2/26. I realize it is in a can and it is a pilsner. Id be willing to check out another one of their beers.

3.76/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.9/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

4.27/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a pale yellow with very little head. Aroma is slightly more hoppy and spicy than other pilsners I've had. Taste is smooth clean and very straightforward. Very decent for a pilsner. And loving the church key open method.

3.48/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

3.29/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Produced 12/2/14.

Pours a hazy honey gold with a foamy white head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Foamy swaths of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of grain, grass, and slight hay aromas. Taste is much the same with grain, grass, and slight sweetened corn flake flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of earth bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is an above average beer that is drinkable, but nothing too memorable for an American take on the style.

Serving type: can.

It tastes worst than Pabst.

It costs twice as much.

You open the can with a can opener.

Any questions?

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.19/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

3.46/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.1/5  rDev +20.6%

Very smooth, almost closer to a Munich Helles than a Pilsner. Definitely one of the best American-brewed German-style lagers I've had. The can is a gimmick and drew my attention, but the beer is solid.

Very light and refreshing, have not had a bunch of Pilsners but I enjoy a beer with full body and nice hop profile.

3.11/5  rDev -8.5%

2.74/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.5/5  rDev -26.5%

Disgusting, not worth the effort.

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

3.23/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A big shout out to woodychandler for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. steel can. Uh-oh, she's a squirter. This beer came gushing out and finally settled to a rich golden color with a 1 1/2 inch head. Smell is sweet and malty. Taste is malty, some grains, a bit of an unusual metallic taste lingering at the finish. Feels light in the mouth and overall is a mediocre beer.

2.03/5  rDev -40.3%

This was not just a CAN, but a steel CAN! Major ups and big props to both MSUBulldog and BeerTunes (?) for sending me a total throwback. A church key, for those not in the know, is a combined bottle and CAN opener, the likes of which have not been needed since the advent of the pop top CAN. There was a "The Rockford Files" episode in which a parolee tried to impress Jim Rockford by crushing a CAN on his forehead until Rockford explained that CANS were now made of aluminum, in which case he ripped a phone book in half. Impressive then, less so now. I remember my first sip of beer - it was Carling Black Label in a steel CAN in our living room as my late-Pops talked strike strategy with his union steward when I was 5 y/o. This brings back memories ...

From the CAN: "Opener required"; "Crafted in the USA"; "Est. recently"; "It's worth the effort"; "The harder it is to achieve your goal[,] the greater the satisfaction."; "Please recycle this CAN and everything else you CAN."; "Drink very responsibly"; "Flat Top Steel CAN [-] An old forgotten experience new again. Back to simple times with simple tools that change an interaction into an experience. For the first time in nearly 50 years, an often forgotten beer experience is available once again. We hope that you will join us in paying homage to an era of hard work, community, and some great stories."; "Our Home Brewers [-] Creators of our Pilsner Recipe [-] Our home brewers[,] Lucas Jones & Sean Burke[,] have been crafting home brewed beer in their garages for many years. They share these brews with their friends at backyard BBQs and over the holidays as gifts. They love this hobby and are passionate about their beer and the community they cultivate with it. We are very excited to have these two all-AmeriCAN guys create the recipe for the Churchkey Pilsner. We hope that you enjoy it as much as we do. To find more about Lucas & Sean, please visit ChurchkeyCANCo.com".

Color me deeply unimpressed! I opened one with markings "141 300222 0515121402" on the bottom and it immediately began spraying beer everywhere and when it became manageable, I poured it into a glass only to be confronted with a brownish-grey cloudy mess that smelled highly metallic. I then attempted a second, unmarked CAN with the following results:

I still got a fountain of beer but I acted quickly to get as much of it into a glass as possible. I initially had two fingers of off-white head, but while I worked to get my kitchen cleaned up, it fell away to nothing. Color was a cloudy lemon-yellow with evident floaties. Nose smelled of grassy Saaz hops, which seemed better than that first attempt. Mouthfeel was thin with a grassy. lemony taste along with a metallic tang on the tongue. Finish was semi-dry, but the metallic taste really seemed to linger. If this is nostalgia, you CAN keep it!

3.11/5  rDev -8.5%

Had the first one right out of the can and couldn't shake the taste of steel. I waited a day and had another, poured direct into a pilsner glass. It was much better, though the head was very bread-like. (Scientifically speaking, there's user error to be accepted in that but I had the same result when I poured my first can from the previous night into a glass. And, a day later, I went into the second knowing I had to compensate for the pour. Could be me.)

I really like the churchkey part of it. Makes me feel like I'm drinking a beer with my 19-yo Dad. But I feel pretty picky about a pilsner, and I'm not blown away. I can't find a "best by" date so it could be that these are a little past their prime, but I'll be saving the rest of the sixer for its novelty.

I wanted to like it more. I love American pilsners. I love the idea of getting a beer I need a churchkey to open -- and I was on the veeerrrryy last end of that era. But I didn't love the beer itself, so I ain't gonna deal with the hassle if I don't gotta, y'know. I'd definitely pick up a different style or give 'em another chance, though.

2.53/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Picked up a can at EuroMarket. Hmm, I dont think this is supposed to pour a hazy amber. The flavor isn't terribly pleasant either. I don't see a best-by date on the can, but I'll be sure to revisit this beer. In the meantime, I've got an opaque, lightly acid lager with a mild, spicy bitterness and a sweet, bland barley taste. Yeah, I really hope this is an off can. I go to EuroMarket often enough to know this hasn't been on the shelf for more than a couple months.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Pilsner Style Beer from Churchkey Can Co.