Monogamy (Bravo) | Bellwoods Brewery

Awaiting More Ratings

Bellwoods Brewery
Ontario, Canada
bellwoodsbrewery.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Our single hop series has been a delicious and interesting experiment into the diverse world of hops. Following an identical recipe but only changing one variable each time (the hop) we've been able to study the exact aromatics and flavours imparted by specific varieties. Not unlike the series launched by Mikkeller, here at Bellwoods our Monagamy brews are all about settling down with one love. Yes, when ordering this beer in the brewpub the jokes are endless (ie. “I'm not so sure about monogamy” or “I tried monogamy once and never really liked it” or the oft hilarious “I guess I'll have it because my girlfriend/boyfriend is sitting beside me”) but stop being a wise-ass. Even the polygamous can't deny the allure of this beer.

BRAVO: Perhaps the most subtle version of Monogamy, the American hop variety Bravo imparts a soft floral aromas and herbal flavour.

Added by Sammy on 11-25-2012

Reviews by brewsadedotcom:
3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

3.72/5  rDev +1.1%

On tap at the brewpub. Good citrus smelling hop aroma. The taste is a big bitterness, its almost astringent palate erase. A tasty citrus orange lemon. Orange and a good amount of head. Still drinkable for the hop delivery. I liked the other hos better.

3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a semi hazy golden with a full on bone white foamy head. Nose is resiny, dank hops, citrus, sweet grapefruit, lemon zest. Taste follows suit, theres a big bitterness upfront, sweet malt tries to balance. Lots of hop bite, citrus again, bit of pine. Mouthfeel is drying, tart.
Decent pale ale, not sure the Bravo hop on its is too impressive, regardless it still amounts to a decent drinking pale ale.

3.38/5  rDev -8.2%

Thank to Andrew for this bottle. Bottled on Nov 16, 2012. Poured in to Bellwoods tulip.

A - Slightly hazy medium yellow with a golden glow around the edges. A thin layer of off-white head formed and slowly disappeared.

S - Grassy, spicy and earthy hop aromas accompany a moderate bitterness with a light citrus presence. Some caramel sweetness in the background.

T - Follows the nose: grassy, herbal, spicy and a very light citrus hop profile accompany a moderate bitterness with a slight sweet malt backbone.

M - Light to medium body, slightly creamy. Light to moderate carbonation.

O - An interesting beer. My first real taste of the bravo hop on its own and while interesting, not really my favourite flavour profile overall.

3.68/5  rDev 0%

Beer is a clear golden colour, quite light in hue. Moderately-sized white head, good retention.

Nose contains apple and grass. A bit of bread. Not a strong smell.

Interesting flavour. Apple jumps out for me, some pear as well. Mildly bitter, and some grassy flavours. A bit of bready malt.

Medium bodied, moderately carbonated. Slightly oily.

Overall, not bad. I was not familiar with the Bravo hop, and it strikes me as fairly unique from this beer. However, not among my favourite hops.

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%