Dragoon IPA | Dragoon Brewing Co.

Dragoon IPADragoon IPA
4.14/5
Dragoon IPADragoon IPA

Dragoon Brewing Co.
Arizona, United States
dragoonbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

This is a true West Coast IPA–it is pale in color, with with bracing bitterness, high alcohol content (about 7.4% abv) and a fruity/floral/citrus hop aroma. It is made from a simple malt bill: North American base and pale caramel malt. We use copious amounts of Northwest hops (Summit, Columbus, Magnum and Zythos) all throughout the boil, with most of it going in within the last 15 minutes. After fermentation is complete, we dry hop it with approximately 1 boatload of each of the same hop varieties.

Added by Gueuzedude on 04-19-2012

This is my perfect beer. It is available all over my town but not many other places, and only on draft. Really hoppy, can be smelled from 5 feet away. Sweet, but a bitter wash on the the mouth feel leaving me ready for more. And the last three batches have had an incredible aroma of that freshly harvested hop that gives it the grapefruit/peach/lemon/idunno scent that I really like a lot.

And I have had 4 barrels of it in my home over the last year and still ask for it when I am out dining. What else can I say except I hope you have a brewery near your town that makes these small batches of wonder that don't travel far - I am looking at you Minnesota with your Surly beers!

Smells of pine, like sap pine. Like what I clean off my cars white pine. Taste is slight pine but big juice, tangerine, grapefruit and lime zest. Velvety viscous mouthfeel but doesn't linger. Inhale after has grapefruit and pine. Clear but tasted like a cloudy Vermont/Maine beer. This is really fantastic, smooth and huge hop style IPA.

4.9/5  rDev +18.4%

4.87/5  rDev +17.6%

I don't have one in front of me to review right now, but this is a great IPA and I have always been satisfied with it. Tonight (Sept. 21, 2012) they won the "Best Overall Beer" category at the First Tucson Beer Cup and I figured they earned the right of letting people know about it.

4.87/5  rDev +17.6%

4.85/5  rDev +17.1%

4.85/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.83/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.79/5  rDev +15.7%

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm a Dogfish Head regular however, this beer has my attention. An absolute must try !!
I visited the Dragoon Brewery here in Tucson and had the great fortune to meet the owners and brewmaster. All are very excited about their great beers. After giving them a look around, I told them that they are in the same position right now that Redhook Brewing in Seattle, WA was 20 years ago. They beemed at the thought !!
Watch these guys. I believe they are going places...

4.69/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.69/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.68/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is an amazing IPA. Wonderful smell, hops, a bit of pine but mostly just fresh hops. Taste is just awesome. Clean, fresh hops, not much malt which makes sense since this is their take on the West Coast IPA, which is my favorite style. I put this up there with the Cali big boys. My personal fav is Green Flash West Coast IPA but this is very, very close behind. You have to try it if you like the style, you will not be disappointed. Cheers!

4.61/5  rDev +11.4%

4.59/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.58/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great, well-attenuated West Coast-style IPA, good and bitter, and with a punch of citrusy and savory, almost weedy (or, if you prefer, cat piss) hops. I know the latter aren't everyone's favorite, but I think they work well here. Tasty stuff.

(Edit: this is now in cans, and I think my appreciation of it grows with each popped tab. This is like über-fresh Torpedo with a splash of Blind Pig and maybe some Hop Stoopid too, piney, grapefruity, herbal/savory, floral even and with enough bitterness to make you cry uncle. Clearly, in this age of tropical smoothie IPAs and the like, this sort of brew probably won't win any popularity contests, but for those of us who enjoy them good, pungent, bright, and bitter, this is the bees knees.)

(Latest update 4.4.16: I'm just gonna keep updating, because my opinion of this beer continues to evolve, and in the best possible way. 3.10.16 canning, almost a month in the can now, and this beer hasn't let off the gas one lick. Still dank, pungent hops, grapefruit and pine, like someone grabbed a handful of hop cones and squeezed their nectary oils into the can. Utterly tremendous, to the point that, outside of a few staples like Union Jack and the like, I'm not sure I need to drink any other IPAs.)

Dragoon IPA from Dragoon Brewing Co.