Dragoon IPA | Dragoon Brewing Co.

Dragoon IPADragoon IPA

Dragoon Brewing Co.
Arizona, United States
dragoonbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

This is a true West Coast IPA–it is pale in color, with with bracing bitterness, high alcohol content (about 7.4% abv) and a fruity/floral/citrus hop aroma. It is made from a simple malt bill: North American base and pale caramel malt. We use copious amounts of Northwest hops (Summit, Columbus, Magnum and Zythos) all throughout the boil, with most of it going in within the last 15 minutes. After fermentation is complete, we dry hop it with approximately 1 boatload of each of the same hop varieties.

Added by Gueuzedude on 04-19-2012

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 33 | Ratings: 180
3.83/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Solid ipa. On tap at ohso. Very fresh and very drinkable. Orange colour. Medium mouthfeel. On cask dry hopped with dr rudy and 721 at the source is even better.

4.18/5  rDev 0%

On draft at a local brewpub, this is one seriously bitter hop forward beer right here. Wow...

Beer is amber / orangish with a little haze, a nice stiff white head that is fed from aggressive carbonation, lots of retention.

Aroma is fruity and sweet with a lot of hops.

Beer is medium in body and chewy from the hop resin, earthy and floral with a lot of bitterness at the back, a very nice IPA and I'd have it again.

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled Time Market, Tucson AZ; April 2012
Arrives from the tap with a one-finger thick, pale tan colored head, nice and creamy; the head leaves some nice, layered lacing on the sides of my pint glass. The beer is a brilliantly clear, light copper color that has gold highlights to it. The aroma has a huge tropical fruit note to it; lychee, pineapple, and kumquat zest plays a huge role. After taking a couple sips, I can notice some touches of cracker like malt, and perhaps a hint of biscuit character. Surprisingly the herbal side of the hop character is quite muted here (as opposed to the flavor). I really like the super-hop-fruit character / focus that the nose has.

A lightly biting bitterness as it first hits the palate, the beer soon gets more aggressively bitter as if flows across the palate, even picking up some green, hop astringency that melds into a lingering long lasting bitterness in the fininsh. The fruity hop notes play a secondary role in the first sip, and the beer is a bit cold as well, which likely down-plays the fruit character. Quite herbal, with notes of woody pepper, tobacco and a definitely dank, “hemp” like hoppiness plays a bigger role than the fruit in the flavor. There is just a touch of pine character here, most of the flavor is definitely herbal in character. The body has a medium’ish heft to its lightness; this is most definitely a quaffable IPA; in fact the fruity hop flavors are likely sacrificed a bit to the alter of drinkability. There is a nice level of prickly carbonation to this beer, not overly gassy, and definitely lively enough, and just about perfectly carbonated for a kegged IPA. After my palate has adjusted to the hop onslaught the malt character starts to peak through just a bit with notes of whole grain (though not brown) crackers, and perhaps a touch of biscuit / crystal malt character; this last is fairly subtle and I really like that this is kept focused on the hops. Fruit character really starts to come out as the beer warms up (just as I expected); there is an explosion of lychee, pineapple, candied kumquat zest, and a really big floral sort of fruitiness.

This is most certainly a west coast, hop focused, interpretation of the IPA style. At one point in my beer journey, I would likely have labeled this as scathingly bitter, especially given that this beer, the first batch ever from the brewery I might add, is only in its second day of being out in the world, my hop-head / saturated palate though now finds this pleasingly biting in its bitterness. An incredible first offering from this brewery. Get it fresh to enjoy the aggressive hop focus. I can’t say I am surprised, but damn, it is nice to see a brand new brewery nail their first beer ever right out of the gate. Consider me a full on happy homer. My biggest complaint is that this beer is being served out of a pint glass; this is a huge disservice to this beer (and any IPA), as much of the hop nuances are quite lost in this format, I can’t wait to have this fresh out of something that helps focus the aroma. The fact that the hop fruitiness starts to come out, in a big expressive manner, as the beer warms up, makes this that much better; the dank herbal and fruit become evenly matched & the flavor achieves a purely hop focused balance that the best IPAs need to achieve to approach perfection.

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a 16 ounce can into a pint glass. From notes. Reviewed 26 February 2016.
4/4.5/4.5/4/4
Brief lived head. Clear amber.
Smells dank and hard candyish. Grapefruit.
Tastes like weed. And citrus. Yum.
Thinnish. mouthfeel.
Classic and delicious West-style IPA.

3.89/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Big thanks to DblDiamond for sending this one in my NFL Confidence Pool box! Reviewed from (long-standing) notes. Poured from a 16 oz. can into a Cigar City goblet.

A: Clear gold, with a two-finger white fluffy head that has good retention. A good bit of visible carbonation. Quite pretty.

S: Citrus rind, dank, light resin, tropical fruits, and a touch of melon. All over very light cracker malts. Pretty damn decent!

T: Tropical fruit, resin and a citrus flavor that's somehow creamy up front. Less dank than on the nose but still there. Light cracker malts. Finishes with citrus rind and a modest bitterness.

M: The body is a touch on the light side. Good carbonation sensation, and the alcohol is noticeable but not obnoxious.

O: Good flavors, good bitterness. There's a wateriness or lack of "punch" right at the swallow...I can't find the words to explain it better than that, but it's missing something. I wouldn't seek this out if it was effort, but if it were local it'd be in rotation in the refrigerator, especially since it's available in cans. Glad to have tried it!

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

I'm compelled to write a review for this beer. If you are a "hop-head" and love Summit hops, this is an absolute must for your mouth and your senses. Aroma that oozes from the glass and it's almost hard to decide if you want to keep the flavor lingering in your mouth or swallow for a fresh, new taste. MUST TRY FRESH.

Arizona has few beers to be proud of and this is the top beer made here in the state! A definite West Coast IPA that has a perfect balance of little malt and bitter with a smell that will keep your face buried in the glass. Not really bursting with fruit or pine but has a super dank Summit taste and aroma thanks to a very hearty dry hop. I could drink this IPA until it puts me out!

Well done Dragoon, well done.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Enjoyed this beer on tap at in downtown Tucson out a standard pint glass.

A: Pours a copper hue with a thick white head that slowly dissipates leaving a nice trail and ending in a solid lace.

S: Hoppy bitter aroma with some citrus scents.

T: Extremely bitter and tart IPA.

M: Medium carbonation and medium body.

O: Excellent IPA – nice and hoppy just the way it should be.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

A fresh can brought back by Jay from Ameristop. Thank you Sir!

L: a very clear, copper color with a thin off white head.

A: Wow, fresh earthy, dank hops punch you right in the nose. Earthy, spicy and a little floral with a small amount of sweet honey-like malt come through.

T: pretty amazing IPA. Puts me in mind of classics like Sucks and Bodhi. Hops hit you then some sweetness followed by a blast of hop bitterness.

F: A bit thin is my only complaint. I wish it had a little more malt to stand up to the hoppiness. Very astringent,dry finish.

O: Really great beer. If I didn't live near Columbus and have Bodhi so close at hand I might seek it out more. A standout in a sea of average IPAs. I definitely enjoyed it though.

3.74/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Amber golden in color with very lively carbonation. An inch thick head of foam rests on the top. Intense grapefruit like hop aroma greets me and beckons me to taste. Creamy and slightly chalky mouthfeel. The flavor is strong on the grapefruit hop flavor. It intensifies on the back of the palate.

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

Enjoyed in a half-pint at Papago.

Very clear and pale gold, almost like a pilsner. One finger of frothy, white head deposits globs of lace.

Fairly standard aroma. Mild citrus, tangerine and mango. A savory, yeasty note in the background is very subtle.

Standard flavor as well, with sweet tangerine meeting dank weed and some tropical sweetness. Backing it up is a strange, mildewy quality that reminds of old, toasted saltines. It gets tangier as it warms. Good hops; weird grain.

Moderate massaging carbonation is peppery on the tongue. Thin, medium-light body. Lingering mild bitterness and wet grain.

Something is off here, though it's hard to say exactly what.

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

Deep gold appearance, very clear. One-finger thick head of wispy white foam. The aroma is a luscious bouquet of fruity, floral hops. It's intense, yet clean, with layers of citrus and a touch of spice. I am reminded of Alpine's signature IPA's when I smell this beer, some excellent beers to be in the company of. Needless to say, the smell is quite inviting.

The taste seems slightly muted at first sip, but after a bit of warming it really opens up. The malt bill is kept simple on this one, allowing the west coast hops to shine in complete fashion. The nectary, floral hops carry though to a grassy, bitter finish that's very delectable. There are some faint touches of alcohol, bit overall it's quite drinkable. The mouthfeel stays light on the tongue, neither too syrupy nor too thin. Carbonation is spot on.

I am quite happy as I sip on this IPA. The quality and flavor surpass practically any other beer brewed in Arizona. Plus, I like IPA's in the 7 to 8% ABV range without much sweet balance from the malt. It is a quintessential west coast interpretation. I don't always drink local, but from now on when I do, it's going to be Dragoon.

4.56/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a clear amber body with abundant bubbles and a foamy white head that receded to a foamy cap of lace. Overall impression of appearance is of a very nice IPA, quite enticing. Scents of grapefruit, earthy, vegetal hops with an onion quality, tropical fruit particularly guava and mango, spicy hop aromas, a hint of sweet malt backbone and notes of pine resin. Overall impression of aroma is of the perfect West Coast IPA, I have found few that can touch the balance and depth on display. Flavor begins wonderfully hoppy, with notes of earthy, dank, vegetal hops, imparting that nice oniony flavor, along with abundant notes of grapefruit rind, pine resin and light notes of tropical fruit. Middle continues these flavors but increases hop bitterness from medium-high to high and increases the intensity of grapefruit and pine resin. Finish is dry with notes of pine resin, earthy, dank, vegetal hops, grapefruit peel and pith, pine resin and a nice hop spiciness and a very light balancing caramel malt backbone. Aftertaste is nicely bitter with notes of pine resin, grapefruit peel and earthy, dank, vegetal hops. Overall impression of taste is of a fantastic West Coast IPA. Again a perfect balance of hop flavors is reached, creating a wonderful whole and one of the finest examples of the style I have tasted. Mouthfeel is medium-light bodied with medium carbonation and a sticky, resinous mouthfeel. Again, near perfect for the style, nothing at all to fault. Overall this is one of the finest West Cost-style American IPAs I have had. It has a near perfect aroma, flavor and mouthfeel, representing the best of the style and showing that the best Arizona breweries can easily compete with the California big boys.

4.53/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Great, well-attenuated West Coast-style IPA, good and bitter, and with a punch of citrusy and savory, almost weedy (or, if you prefer, cat piss) hops. I know the latter aren't everyone's favorite, but I think they work well here. Tasty stuff.

(Edit: this is now in cans, and I think my appreciation of it grows with each popped tab. This is like über-fresh Torpedo with a splash of Blind Pig and maybe some Hop Stoopid too, piney, grapefruity, herbal/savory, floral even and with enough bitterness to make you cry uncle. Clearly, in this age of tropical smoothie IPAs and the like, this sort of brew probably won't win any popularity contests, but for those of us who enjoy them good, pungent, bright, and bitter, this is the bees knees.)

(Latest update 4.4.16: I'm just gonna keep updating, because my opinion of this beer continues to evolve, and in the best possible way. 3.10.16 canning, almost a month in the can now, and this beer hasn't let off the gas one lick. Still dank, pungent hops, grapefruit and pine, like someone grabbed a handful of hop cones and squeezed their nectary oils into the can. Utterly tremendous, to the point that, outside of a few staples like Union Jack and the like, I'm not sure I need to drink any other IPAs.)

4.27/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Clear gold draft pour with white head. Orange juice nose. Fresh cut grass and hoppy citrus flavor. Resinous tongue coating yet still juicy. I thought strong grassy hops a bit overpowering - still, quite good for this west coast style.

3.77/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a snifter.
A - Pours a clear amber with a thick soapy head.
S - Aroma is dank and a bit piney.
T - Malty sweetness followed by plenty of bitterness.
M - Medium carbonation, mouth feel is a little creamy.
O - This is a very good IPA but not great. Now if I lived in AZ I might feel differently.

4.11/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

16 oz. pint on tap at O.H.S.O. Eatery and Nano-Brewery in Phoenix, AZ; unknown bottling/packaging date; poured into a standard pint glass and drank over 30 minutes

4.11/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Best IPA in a can I have had. Perfect compliment to room service dinner after an unseasonably warm February day in the Sonoran desert. The aroma was the only underperforming attribute of this solid beer.

Pours a crystal clear Amber color. 1 1/2 fingers of a frothy head. Great lacing.

Aroma is all about grapefruit pith and pine. Bright and citrusy.

Taste is of citrus pith. Primarily bitter grapefruit pith but orange and lemon is also present. Rather dry. Some more pine. A touch watery during the middle of the sip.

Overall, this is a classic west coast ipa. Reminds me a bit of stone IPA, but a bit more toned back in terms of citrus. I see this pairing well with papas bravas. It gets a 80/100.

3.54/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

64oz growler pulled off tap at Total Wine in Gilbert. WTF is up with the proud pricing of growlers at these stores? I was going to fill mine with Santan beer, but nixed that when I realized I could get a fill at the brewery and it would cost less and be closer to my house! Ah well, that introduced me to this little hop-bomb...

A - Innocent looking, pale orange in color and watery up top. Carbonation looks good however. No lacing to speak of.

S - Spring flowers and grass, hops abound! Its so hop-forward though that theres a tinge of that bitter tomcat piss smell, off-putting I know but its the most precise way I can say it.

T - Thank goodness, no Tomcat here! Very grassy, crackery taste with a little sour citrus zing. Pretty good stuff!

M - Very bitter but even finish, warming alcoholic presence but its leveraged in nicely.

O - Hey, in my experience this is Arizona's best done West Coast IPA! Not ready to throw down with Cali yet, but keep em comin...

4.87/5  rDev +16.5%

I don't have one in front of me to review right now, but this is a great IPA and I have always been satisfied with it. Tonight (Sept. 21, 2012) they won the "Best Overall Beer" category at the First Tucson Beer Cup and I figured they earned the right of letting people know about it.

2.82/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

From a can. I've drank four of these on four different nights trying to figure this beer out. At 88 IBU and 7.2% it seems like they know how to use these scales. Very very bitter, like uncut espresso bitter. It is drinkable, but not strong enough to merit sipping. The hops hit like a brick wall of piny resin and long bitter aftertaste. There is no maltiness to appreciate after this hop load. This is amateur craftsmanship and should be called out.

The nearest neighbor to this beer, in terms of flavor, is Cone Flakes. I liked Cone Flakes more, but I'm biased to support CT brewers. Neither beer is very drinkable and both are way over-hopped. This is just pandering to the extreme-hop-heads who make up a just a sliver of the hop-heads, who are just a small segment of all beer-drinkers.

This is my perfect beer. It is available all over my town but not many other places, and only on draft. Really hoppy, can be smelled from 5 feet away. Sweet, but a bitter wash on the the mouth feel leaving me ready for more. And the last three batches have had an incredible aroma of that freshly harvested hop that gives it the grapefruit/peach/lemon/idunno scent that I really like a lot.

And I have had 4 barrels of it in my home over the last year and still ask for it when I am out dining. What else can I say except I hope you have a brewery near your town that makes these small batches of wonder that don't travel far - I am looking at you Minnesota with your Surly beers!

3.93/5  rDev -6%

Had it here at the dragoon brewery on tap. Not quite up there with the Cali top ipas. Still a very good tasty IPA. They are on to something here in Tucson. Nice pub and atmosphere, plain and simple.

3.83/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Typically drank on tap at nearly every bar/restaurant in town. But picked up a pint can from the fine folks at Plaza Liquors as it was on sale for $3.

L - Pours a nice deep, clear amber color with about an inch and a half of off-white foam that dissipates and leaves a thicker lacing than expected.

S - Typical pine and citrus of most IPAs, maybe some vodka slipped in because it's a bit medicinal/alcohol-like too. Like the description, dank with flowery hops that stand out so you know it's going to be bitter.

T - Strong hoppy bite up front, citrus rind, some grain alcohol, not much malt to balance out the bitter but there's a very slight fruity tang at the end to make it not so overpowering.

F - Thin to medium body, prickly carbonation, with a dry, slightly sticky finish.

O - This IPA is offered at almost every establishment in Tucson. It's a popular IPA and Dragoon's flagship. It's a very solid west coast IPA that I can enjoy one or two of. The high alcohol content definitely hits quick and warms you up. A very solid IPA.

Smells of pine, like sap pine. Like what I clean off my cars white pine. Taste is slight pine but big juice, tangerine, grapefruit and lime zest. Velvety viscous mouthfeel but doesn't linger. Inhale after has grapefruit and pine. Clear but tasted like a cloudy Vermont/Maine beer. This is really fantastic, smooth and huge hop style IPA.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Dragoon IPA from Dragoon Brewing Co.