Super Brew 15 | S. C. Martens S. A.

awful
Super Brew 15Super Brew 15

S. C. Martens S. A.
Romania | website

Style: English Barleywine

Added by Nerudamann on 04-08-2011

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 45 | Ratings: 67

Going with BJCP descriptors.

Look - Rich Gold to dark brown... Nope. Looks like Coors light.

Smell - Hello Butterscotch, and a good day to you too Mr. Acetone. Just awful. Like a wino's breath masked only by a werther's orignal. I think you could clean something with this but you wouldn't want to because it would end up smelling like this bile.

Taste -Unsurprisingly, it follows the nose, but with some weird artificial caramel flavoring. It's boozy, but it doesn't necessarily taste like alcohol. Just a chemical buttery solvent-y mess.

Feel - Mouthfeel is odd, it's fuller bodied than it looks, but it's neither velvety nor luscious. It does not have a smooth warmth from the alcohol, more like hot nail polish. I would rather talk about how it made me feel, which was bad and almost as if I had been poisoned, which technically I had been.

Overall - Overall? It's easily one of the worst beers I've ever had. I allowed it to warm a bit before I tried it again as I wanted to give it the full go. BAD. IDEA. Everything was the same, but worse and all the flaws were out on front street fighting each other in a bare knuckled death match. I saw a gnat flying dangerously close to my sample glass and I swear that as came in for a landing on the rim, it vaporized before it got there.

This beer has done nothing to even merit the 1 that I have given it.

To summarize...

SC Martens S.A, what you've just made is one of the most insanely horrible things I have ever tasted. At no point in your fumbling infantile-like brewing process were you even close to anything that could be considered an english barleywine. Everyone's tastebuds who sampled this alongside me are now duller for having drank it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

So i saw this at the store, it says "Barleywine", it is 15%, and from Romania...how could i pass this up? it was like $4 and in a green bottle, haha, oh great.
The pour shows a bronze colored beer that is fizzing with carbonation and goes COMPLETELY still in seconds. Not one bubble a second after pouring, yikes.
The Smell...this is distinctly like acetone, spray paint, sweat, and pine sol all in one, condensed into something more awful then the chicago cubs. It is bad enough i am contemplating a drain pour BEFORE tasting it...
I took a sip, about 1oz, and this is not hyperbole but i honestly was close to gagging, there is a sweaty skunked horribleness all over this beer, thanks green bottle and cheap romanian beer. Just horrible skunk and sweat covering all, actually tastes greasy...

I can honestly say i think this was worse then triple bock, and that is hard for me to say. 4oz down and i am drain pouring this.

1.06/5  rDev -43.9%

Joe, thank you SO much for bringing this gem and spending your hard earned money on this. Poured into a chalice. Light golden honey color with no head and lots of visible carbonation. This is the clearest barelywine I have ever seen.

I can't really articulate what I am smelling in a linear manner so I'm just going to list of some stuff.

Honey
Cat pee
Gas
Rubbing alcohol

I shudder to think what this tastes like.
I just tasted this and my fears were realized. Crap. This tastes like crap. Crap mixed with honey, cat pee, gas and rubbing alcohol. With a touch of sweetness to boot.

The mouthfeel is bad, but mostly because this is in your mouth. It's hot and boozey and the carbonation is sharp. Seriously pick this one up. You haven't experienced bad until you've experienced this one. It will change your life.

1.12/5  rDev -40.7%

Damn seems I have all the luck in picking the nasty stuff when I buy something before checking the reviews.

Clear golden colored ale with no head formation.

Smell is quite awful. Malt with strong fusel alcohol, so bad this burns my eyes. Personally if I smelled this in one of my home brews I would give up the hobby.

I am seriously conflicted about drinking this or not, I am concerned I might go blind from Methanol poisoning. Taste is sweet and fruity with a strong burning taste. This tastes like Everclear and apple juice.

Mouthfeel is industrial alcohol.

Overall this should probably be banned from import to the USA. Quite probably the WORST alleged beer I have EVER tasted.

This MIGHT make a good Carburetor cleaner, then again it probably would just kill my Car!

1.2/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Friend of mine grabbed this beer for me. High ABV and low sticker price were turn-ons. Everything that followed was the bier equivalent to Phyllis Diller.

A} Poured this beer into an Austin Street Brewery Tulip. Amber in colour with anemic bubbles around the edge of glass that dissipated quickly leaving no lacing. Think of Stone Arrogant Bastard. Now imagine the opposite.
S} Smells of rubbing alcohol, apples, sweetness and possibly sweat. Yeah. I think that is sweat. My wife noted that "it doesn't even smell like food!"
T} Full disclosure. I wasn't able to choke down more than maybe five ounces of this "Barley Wine" which is, incidentally, one of my preferred styles. What did assail my taste buds was pretty bad and lock step with the smell. Alcohol and a chemical sort of burn like acetone plus the candy like sweetness. Gross.
M} Mouthfeel was thin, flat and mercifully quick. Might be better to ask my sink drain since it got the majority of the pour but I'd hate to remind it and the associated old world plumbing here on Dow street of this day.
O} Buy this beer. Everyone. It is so indescribably bad that it must be experienced and can be purchased at freaking Wholefoods. You will not be disappointed.

1.24/5  rDev -34.4%

I found this slender 500ml brown bottle at the Binny's store in Schaumburg, IL for $3.69 - pretty steep for an east European beer. No freshness date or anything about the beer other than to say it was an English barleywine style beer.

The beer poured a perfectly clear pale gold color, but it couldn't even muster up a ½-finger's worth of white head. What head there was fizzled out in less than 15 seconds and left no lacing whatsoever.

The beer smelled grape-y - like a red wine (which I guess is OK for a barleywine), but then there was a heavy candy-like sweetness and heavy alcohol smell under the grape smell.

This stuff is awful! Alcohol upon alcohol upon alcohol. You might as well open a bottle of rubbing alcohol and drink that. I defy anyone to finish a whole bottle of this. Hard candy sugar is the only other flavor. No malt, no hops, no fruit, no anything except sweetened alcohol.

You can't keep this in your mouth long enough to give it a mouthfeel grade. Total drainpour with fairly high carbonation.

I can't believe they charge $3.69 for this poor excuse for a beer. Avoid at all costs.

1.25/5  rDev -33.9%

This Romanian Beer is one of the harshest and worst produced beers I have ever consumed, if it were not for beer and man laws that say throwing away a beer is a violation, it would have got the boot. If you want to have a good night, drink a 6 pack (18 once bottles) of this 15% ABV beer rapidly...three things could possibly happen A.) you don't even make out of the house B.) you wake up with someone you don't want too C.) You wind up in another country, with a kidney missing, in a tub of ice. Wait for the hang over...it's a real kicker...

To explain this beer, you ever see a bangin' Romanian chick, yeah you know what I am talking about. Romanian women have that fiery latin culture (only latin country in easten Europe), they have have those looks, and everything else. Well this beer is exactly the opposite, you know those trailer trashed, tweekin', teeth missin' women in the local trailer park type...this is more like those types. This beer will make you do bad things...I swear to god I lost 12 hours of my life after consuming more than few of these...I was in Berwyn and I wound up in Gary , Indiana having dinner with an absulote stranger...

It pours yellow, with lacings, and a petite head, that gives way to filmy covering. There is no specific taste, but the alcohol, it definately has a strong edge, and the aftertaste burns. No redeeming qualities of this beer.

1.26/5  rDev -33.3%

500ml twist off bottle.

IT pours a clear dark orangeish gold with a fizzy white head that quickly dissipates.

It smells like mead, not like beer. I would bet they put some kind of sugary syrup in here to get to this abv.

The taste is syrupy and meadlike. There is some nuttiness, but this is harsh.

This really tastes like a bad braggot

1.26/5  rDev -33.3%

16.9oz bottle of 15%abv Barleywine for less than $3? What could possibly go wrong? Poured into 10oz goblet. Poured a clear, clean medium-dark golden honey color with zero head, thus no retention or lacing. Not inherently a bad looking beer (quite attractive actually) but nothing like any other BW I've ever encountered.

The aroma was alcohol, tequila, diacetyl, and an odd honey-like sweetness. I got goosebumps and shakes just from sniffing. The taste was the same, just worse. Butterscotch, sugary-sweetness, alcohol, and that tequila like, component added to an underlying medicinal quality.

The body was thin, very thin, not anywhere near a quality BW. Drinkability was rough, I got through the bottle by drinking quickly. Plus, I hate drainpours. Overall, if you want to look for a new job, but don't want to quit the one you have, give a bottle of this to your boss for a Christmas present. You'll be unemployed in no time! Unless you're a serious ticker, avoid.

1.28/5  rDev -32.3%

Oh my.
How could I resist this thing after I heard about it?!

It pours very light in color and I expected the body would be really clear golden, but it is actually really clear orangey amber colored. Whatever head there was fizzled away virtually instantly.

Smells and tastes of boiled corn syrup, grain alcohol, gasoline, and flowery perfume. A really strange candy-like malt note underneath it all too... Man this is fucking odd. I'm not going to lie-- it is pretty terrible, but it is such a FUN kind of terrible. The nail polish remover really shines as this warms up.

Feels syrupy and oily, lots of residual sugar coating my teeth here. A big heat warms my throat.

Overall-- there is a something about this beer that makes me think of creamed corn and moonshine.
This entirely undrinkable, and yet it was so much fun actually trying this!

1.35/5  rDev -28.6%

This is an english-style barley wine from ROMANIA that's 14.9 %. It tastes both like cardboard and cheap red wine that's been sitting in an open cup for a week, with a nice finish reminiscent of pre-vomit.

I am drinking the worst beer of my life. I can only think of one beer (an infected gusher) that was possibly as bad. I don't think I can finish it. This IS a meaningful statement. I don't even think I have consumed 2 oz of this beer after forcing myself to drink it for an hour ( and my taste buds have been dulled by a couple beers already). It has the strongest cardboard taste I've had the displeasure of encountering. I would even raise that to the strongest wet cardboard a mangy dog pissed on flavor I have encountered in my life. I suspect I am not drinking a flawed bottle.

It really taste like a combo of sake and vomit. It's much, much, much worse than neon-colored wines in the bottom shelf of the cooler, or urinal cakes or most things you can think of.

STAY AWAY!

1.37/5  rDev -27.5%

This beer pours like highly carbonated apple juice. Same color, same soda like head which dissappears immediately, not leaving any evidence of it's existance. The aroma is alcohol and cider forward. That is all. It's lacking character. The beer tastes like they mixed some alcoholic apple cider with a 40 and some cheap vodka. It tastes like freshman year mistakes mixed with frat party jungle juice. So weird. Mouthfeel was deceptively thin because of the high carbonation, but wasn't that bad if given a chance. The benefit of this beer, however, is that instead of being dissapointed with it, I am drunk and disappointed.

1.38/5  rDev -27%

16.9 oz bottle, no bottle date, poured into a silver-rimmed Westvleteren chalice.

A- Pours a perfectly clear amber color, it actually has a color gradient, becoming more clear towards the edges, produces a thin fizzy white head that bubbles away to nothing in about 10 seconds. Leaves no lacing at all.

S- Smells oddly sour, aroma of acetic acid, some acidic sour grape smell, lots of fusel alcohol and acetone and a boiled wilted-vegetable smell.

T- Weird is all I can say, besides disgusting. Instantaneous blast of hot, harsh alcohol, lots of acetone, again lots of weird sour grape and apple flavor and more skunky cooked vegetables as well as a weird sharp sugary sweetness. This is probably the most offensive tasting beer I've ever come across. The sour flavor lingers for a long time, at some point I burped and could just taste more sour nastiness, at which point I almost gagged.

M- Medium to light body, very high carbonation, hot alcohol burn.

O- An impressively terrible beer, there's really nothing positive I can say about this. At the same time, give this a try, it's definitely an unforgettable experience.

1.39/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Super Brew 15 has a very thin, almost nonexistent white head and a clear, somewhat bubbly, amber appearance, with no lacing left behind. The aroma is very strongly of alcohol, cream sherry, caramel, and other pungent things. Taste is of cream sherry, very cloying sweetness, figs, dates, caramel, and almost no bitterness to cut the overriding candy sweet flavor. Mouthfeel is medium, chewy, candy-like, metholated on the inhalations and exhalations, and there is a chalky under taste. Super Brew 15 finishes harsh, overly sweet, alcohilic, and after some ounces are drank, undrinkable. Overall, this is bad and undrinkable. I scored it .5 stars.

RJT

1.39/5  rDev -26.5%

Unfortunately I sampled this brew in its native pint bottle and wasn't able to appraise its appearance, but I digress.

I'm a person who judges beer by its flavor. If you want flashy adverts which tell you what the beer you're drinking tastes like then my review can't help you. I'm a person who judges the beer he drinks by the flavors he tastes.

This beer was the roughest I've ever consumed. I don't say this as hyperbole, but as literal fact. I've drank Steel Reserve, Four Loko, and Joose, but this brew from Romania was the worst tasting slag I have ever had the misfortune of wrapping my lips around.

I drank this beer cold (32-37 degrees F) and it still was extremely rough. An initial punch of brandy was countered by a sudden rush of overpowering alcohol and almost savory bready-ness. The aftertaste is worse than Robitussin, and I was hesitant to take a third sip of this vile concoction.

This beer may attract you with its claims of being a Belian-Quad clone, but in all honesty it's worse than the United States equivalent of a cheap malt liquor.

I would rather drink several cans of Steel Reserve than this swill.

1.45/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

So many beers I've drank in the past that I didn't rate or forgot about..this one occurred to me today and nearly two years later...how can I forget possibly the worst beer I've ever had. $2.49 for a 24 oz I believe it was to inflict this on myself...You keep drinking the great ones, remember the good ones, forget the ok ones and bad ones and...the truly awful ones like this...ingrained forever on my mind and in my nightmares...this is as bad as it gets...in some strange way...that makes it worth seeking out...

1.53/5  rDev -19%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

A: Pours a dark, clear caramel. No head after ten seconds, sparse bubbles rising to the surface.

S: The most prevalent smell is of vegetal alcohol. More than anything else, it reminds me of cheap, plastic bottle tequila. It was enough to take my breath away initially (and not in a good way).

T: Not surprisingly, cheap alcohol is the strongest taste. After the initial blast, there is a somewhat pleasant lingering butterscotch aftertaste.

M: Carbonation is small. Coats the tongue like a $10 bottle of brandy.

O: Couldn't make it through an entire bottle. With that said, it does offer a great value for those wanting to get hammered, as I was able to pick up the 500 mL bottle for $2.49.

1.61/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Alcohol is heavy in this, as would be expected by the 15% ABV, but it totally dominates the aroma and taste, sickly sweet malt and paint thinner hide in the background. Nasty

1.63/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Looks- Pours an amberish-orange color. Extremely thin and fizzy, like carbonated water. Very clear with carbonation rising to the top. Fizzy two-finger head that dissipates in less than a second.

Smell- White wine, liquor, maybe some sweet malts

Taste- Liquor. Like taking a shot, then some sweetness, then finishes with heavy alcohol warmth. The more I drink the more I get nothing but liquor. The alcohol burn lingers on afterward.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied, decent carbonation. Better than I expected.

Overall- I don't really see the point to this beer, unless you're just looking for a buzz. It's probably the same buzz you'll get from any of the popular 40s (OE, King Cobra, etc), similar price, and slightly better tasting. Otherwise, don't bother.

1.66/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

A beer loving friend insisted I try this, so bought a bottle for me.

Pours gold with very little white head that doesn't stick around long.

This is one time where I am glad I don't have the sharpest sense of smell. Basically sweet with a chemical smell that is trying to dominate the sweet.

Starts out sweet, then a chemical flavor takes over, leaving a nasty aftertaste. Not sure what this is made form, but doesn't taste like anything natural to me.

As for feel it's wet, that's about it.

Not the worst thing I have ever tasted, but nothing about it was very good. Has flavor, but that doesn't mean it's a good flavor. Interesting to try once for the experience, best thing I can say is I didn't go blind drinking it.

1.78/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a brown 16.9 oz. bottle. Has a very dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of alcohol, plastic, green apples. Taste is, well, OMG. It's terrible. Pure alcohol. I need to go grab a shot glass out of the cabinet, and a can of Olde English 800 from the fridge, for use as a chaser. Feels light and hot in the mouth and overall is a horrible beer, I can feel a headache coming on as I finish the bottle.

1.8/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had to grab this when I saw it on sale for $3 - how can I pass up the infamous Romanian barleywine that's 15%? FosterJM, I hope you're happy! Tickers gotta tick.

Pours a dark clear gold with barely any carbonation. Doesn't look much like a barleywine - but at least the head dies after 10 seconds and it looks like piss after a night of drinking too much barleywine.

The smell is pretty much just lots of fusels, but it adds to that whole shady eastern European appeal and lives up to my nightmares. Some vanilla and tobacco come out after it warms, but so does jet fuel.

Cheap oxidized brandy and a crapload of stale pale/amber malt, which technically makes it a barleywine I guess. Or maybe bum-leywine is a more apt description. It's hot as hell but in that manly self-destructive way like cheap whiskey, and the finish is all grain and corn syrup.

The mouthfeel is thick enough to keep it from scorching your taste buds, but it feels more like a DIPA than a barleywine. Also, diabeetus.

I'm not gonna lie, I couldn't get even half way through the bottle before a pre-hangover headache started to come on strong and I had to dump the rest because no one could get past the smell. That being said, if I didn't have work tomorrow I'd just have said fuck it and polished it off because it's that kind of awesomely terrible. Plus, in retrospect, I've had American barleywines that were just as bad that spent time in barrels and cost 10 times as much. And it puts radioactive hair on your chest.

1.81/5  rDev -4.2%

I couldn't convince myself to drink this sober, so there may be some incidental padding in my ratings. Yeah, bought as a joke because I have a Romanian boss and wanted to try the $3.50 "Original Barley Wine" that won best of 15 entrants from his country....
Wow, it's not as bad as I thought, but it's definitely just artificial butterscotch and solvent alcohol. So that's the review. Agreed with what others said. Terrible. Hope I can drink the rest before it reaches room temp or it's down the drain.

1.82/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Whoa..... this beer is absolutely terrible. I want my $2.89 back. I of course bought this because of the high alcohol content to give it a try, but I really shouldn't have. I couldn't even make it half way through! This one went straight down the sink. I'm sure if I were a hobo living in an alley I would have enjoyed this more, but since I'm not, I will beg you not to waste your hard earned money on this. If you have a friend that drinks all your beer buy a few of these, put them in the fridge and that guy will never take a beer from your fridge again. Yes, its that bad. Easily in my top 10 worst of all time.

1.87/5  rDev -1.1%

Thanks to Joe for bringing this one by. Pours clear and golden, with lots of bubbles racing to the top of the glass, but no head.

The aroma has a lot of honey to go along with bread and alcohol. This smells very sweet.

This tastes like sweet bread. There is some heat in the finish. The taste isn't quite as offensive as I feared, but the lack of balance or much of any beer flavor is disappointing in a beer.

I suppose one could plug the nose and choke this down. Maybe even enjoy it on some masochistic level, but it doesn't deserve high marks.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Super Brew 15 from S. C. Martens S. A.