Super Brew 15 | S. C. Martens S. A.

awful

Added by Nerudamann on 04-08-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 44 | Ratings: 67
1.06/5  rDev -43.9%

Joe, thank you SO much for bringing this gem and spending your hard earned money on this. Poured into a chalice. Light golden honey color with no head and lots of visible carbonation. This is the clearest barelywine I have ever seen.

I can't really articulate what I am smelling in a linear manner so I'm just going to list of some stuff.

Honey
Cat pee
Gas
Rubbing alcohol

I shudder to think what this tastes like.
I just tasted this and my fears were realized. Crap. This tastes like crap. Crap mixed with honey, cat pee, gas and rubbing alcohol. With a touch of sweetness to boot.

The mouthfeel is bad, but mostly because this is in your mouth. It's hot and boozey and the carbonation is sharp. Seriously pick this one up. You haven't experienced bad until you've experienced this one. It will change your life.

(Served in a snifter)

A- This beer pours a crystal clear body that has a slight hue of deep orange and a fizzy head that boils away before I can set the glass down. There is a racing carbonation of big bubbles that pop at the surface.

S- The aroma of white wine and butterscotch take on an artificial diacetyl aroma

T- The caramel flavoring reminds me of butterscotch pudding then on to the big fusel heat in the finish that has a bit of a permanent marker taste that grows in the finish.

M- The light crisp mouthfeel has a huge burn that makes it hard to take another sip.

O- The artificial flavor mixed with the big alcohol burn really makes this beer undrinkable. It is otherwise very clean and I don't get any other flavors it is rather like a clean adjunct lager with a monster alcohol heat and some caramel syrup added.

2.09/5  rDev +10.6%

Served in a Gale Sayers shaker pint glass.

When I learned of this beer, I had to try it. I mean, a nearly 15% b-wine from Romania, born of some semi-mysterious brewing contest? How could I not wanna try it? It pours a clear amber-brass topped by a tower of short-lived lightly off-white foam. The nose comes off very sweet, with notes of maple syrup, cinnamon, Belgian candi sugar, light caramel, and a kvass-like breadiness rollicking throughout. The taste seems to bring in more of the same, though the kvass is now somehow roasted; then comes a surge of what I can only describe as bad fruit (and not a particular bad fruit, either, just the vague notion of bad fruit), along with a light-but-still-sharp bite of booze near the finish. It all comes together extremely poorly, lemme tell ya. The body is a surprisingly light medium, with a moderate carbonation and a kinda slick, oily feel. Overall, a bit of a trainwreck of a beer. Would it really have come out any other way?

3.3/5  rDev +74.6%

English barleywine? More like synthetic linseed oil. Tastes like alcohol and apricot nectar, the cheap Romanian kind. Just a hint of transmission fluid. I am not making this up. Smells like an Oriental market. Pours a clear amber in the Highball glass. A little carbonation on the tongue, but no bubbly head to interrupt the proceedings, which is to transfer alcohol from a former sugar beet processing plant to your brain. Start counting backwards from 100 and see how far you get.

Actually not bad tasting if you don't think of it as beer. Kind of a weird mixed drink flavor, a touch of Campari, some sugar syrup, and those bitters. Should be good with blood sausage.

1.95/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Amber barleywine? Lots of little bubbles. Smell is of toasted sesame oil and soy sauce. Aka homemade Chinese food...funny because it looks like toasted sesame oil as well. Simple and grainy. Flavor is more the same, not as viscous as I thought it would be. Is that salt? Did they use champagne yeast on this? Hmm, not bad if I was drinking sweet rice wine with Japanese. But I'm drinking beer with sausages, doesn't really work...lightest "barleywine" ever. Very good conversation starter at a party I want to get wrecked at...but so is four loco. I had to try it once. It's like a bad B movie. I gotta see it even though I know it's terrible.

Update: I don't think I can finish this...

2.42/5  rDev +28%

Blind Beer #7 from TMoney2591; thanks Kyle. Poured from what looks like a 16.9 oz. bottle into my Gulden Draak tulip.

a - Pours a very transparent orange-yellow color with two inches of white head and moderate carbonation evident. Head lasts for a few seconds and disappears, and leaves no lacing at all on the glass. Looks like apple juice.

s - Wow, this is going to be an interesting one. Smells of coffee, burnt malts, apples, alcohol, sweet marshmallow, toasted malts, sugar, light fruit, and light wine. Very, very interesting. An odd sweetness to it. Thinking maybe an American Blonde Ale? Not bad, but not great.

t - Tastes of burnt malts, white wine, apples, alcohol, fruity malts, light coffee, sugar, roasted malts, and sweet marshmallows again. Again, pretty interesting. No real clue about this one…some sort of American Blonde ale brewed with apples maybe? Smells a bit too alcoholic to be a blonde ale though, so thinking maybe a Belgian Strong Pale Ale? Alcohol is a bit too prominent for me.

m - Light to medium body and moderate to high carbonation. A touch overcarbonated and some alcohol warmth.

o - Overall the most interesting smelling and tasting beer of the BIF so far. At first I thought it may be an American blonde ale brewed with sugar and/or apples, but I think the alcohol is too high for that. Switching to a Belgian Strong Pale Ale, and would guess in the 11-12% ABV range, but who knows.

And the reveal is…Super Brew 15 from Romania, a 14.9% ABV English Barleywine. Wow, never seen such a light looking barleywine, and never had any that smell or taste like this. Very strong and a bit weird, and certainly through me for a loop. 3/7 on styles, guessing this was a kill shot.

3.41/5  rDev +80.4%

Straight up pour only a two finger white head that vanishes leaving no lace. Crystal clear amber color. Wicked carbonation and medium bodied. Honey nose and flavor is fizzy honey, looking for hops maybe a hint at finish. Easy to drink but bad example of a barleywine, for about the same money Dogfish Head Olde School is much better. Very high ABV is hidden. $4.50 for a 500ml bottle from Tully's Beer & Wine Wells, Me.

1.12/5  rDev -40.7%

Damn seems I have all the luck in picking the nasty stuff when I buy something before checking the reviews.

Clear golden colored ale with no head formation.

Smell is quite awful. Malt with strong fusel alcohol, so bad this burns my eyes. Personally if I smelled this in one of my home brews I would give up the hobby.

I am seriously conflicted about drinking this or not, I am concerned I might go blind from Methanol poisoning. Taste is sweet and fruity with a strong burning taste. This tastes like Everclear and apple juice.

Mouthfeel is industrial alcohol.

Overall this should probably be banned from import to the USA. Quite probably the WORST alleged beer I have EVER tasted.

This MIGHT make a good Carburetor cleaner, then again it probably would just kill my Car!

2.36/5  rDev +24.9%

"Barley Wine Ale" on the label, something was obviously lost in translation here, highly doubt this was intended to be a true barleywine, English or otherwise. It really does taste like a poorly made braggot (mead made of malt & honey), as someone else pointed out. Slim brown 500ml bottle.

Thin loose film of soapy bubbles that clump around the edges of the glass. Second pour from a height produced a finger of super fizzy foam, that sizzled like champagne. It quickly becomes still and glassy, again like a braggot or mead. It's a bright crystalline amber color.

Smell is all honey, fairly sweet and clover-like, no trace of the evil within. Flavor is similarly focused and one dimensional honey, with a slight solventy alcohol note of white grapes. Very astringent and harsh feel that is really the downfall of this "beer". Sharp stinging alcohol, lingering medicinal aftertaste that eventually eclipses the initial sweet honey flavors unfortunately. White wine, champagne, fusel alcohol.

Someone did a bad job of translating (and marketing) this... specifically somewhere between "barley" and "wine" (braggot), but it's no barleywine to be sure. Reviewing it as a braggot, it's still way off kilter and harsh to be a success in that realm either.

Hey at least its better than chugging Earthquake, or Keystones...to da dome.

So i saw this at the store, it says "Barleywine", it is 15%, and from Romania...how could i pass this up? it was like $4 and in a green bottle, haha, oh great.
The pour shows a bronze colored beer that is fizzing with carbonation and goes COMPLETELY still in seconds. Not one bubble a second after pouring, yikes.
The Smell...this is distinctly like acetone, spray paint, sweat, and pine sol all in one, condensed into something more awful then the chicago cubs. It is bad enough i am contemplating a drain pour BEFORE tasting it...
I took a sip, about 1oz, and this is not hyperbole but i honestly was close to gagging, there is a sweaty skunked horribleness all over this beer, thanks green bottle and cheap romanian beer. Just horrible skunk and sweat covering all, actually tastes greasy...

I can honestly say i think this was worse then triple bock, and that is hard for me to say. 4oz down and i am drain pouring this.

1.24/5  rDev -34.4%

I found this slender 500ml brown bottle at the Binny's store in Schaumburg, IL for $3.69 - pretty steep for an east European beer. No freshness date or anything about the beer other than to say it was an English barleywine style beer.

The beer poured a perfectly clear pale gold color, but it couldn't even muster up a ½-finger's worth of white head. What head there was fizzled out in less than 15 seconds and left no lacing whatsoever.

The beer smelled grape-y - like a red wine (which I guess is OK for a barleywine), but then there was a heavy candy-like sweetness and heavy alcohol smell under the grape smell.

This stuff is awful! Alcohol upon alcohol upon alcohol. You might as well open a bottle of rubbing alcohol and drink that. I defy anyone to finish a whole bottle of this. Hard candy sugar is the only other flavor. No malt, no hops, no fruit, no anything except sweetened alcohol.

You can't keep this in your mouth long enough to give it a mouthfeel grade. Total drainpour with fairly high carbonation.

I can't believe they charge $3.69 for this poor excuse for a beer. Avoid at all costs.

1.35/5  rDev -28.6%

This is an english-style barley wine from ROMANIA that's 14.9 %. It tastes both like cardboard and cheap red wine that's been sitting in an open cup for a week, with a nice finish reminiscent of pre-vomit.

I am drinking the worst beer of my life. I can only think of one beer (an infected gusher) that was possibly as bad. I don't think I can finish it. This IS a meaningful statement. I don't even think I have consumed 2 oz of this beer after forcing myself to drink it for an hour ( and my taste buds have been dulled by a couple beers already). It has the strongest cardboard taste I've had the displeasure of encountering. I would even raise that to the strongest wet cardboard a mangy dog pissed on flavor I have encountered in my life. I suspect I am not drinking a flawed bottle.

It really taste like a combo of sake and vomit. It's much, much, much worse than neon-colored wines in the bottom shelf of the cooler, or urinal cakes or most things you can think of.

STAY AWAY!

1.63/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Looks- Pours an amberish-orange color. Extremely thin and fizzy, like carbonated water. Very clear with carbonation rising to the top. Fizzy two-finger head that dissipates in less than a second.

Smell- White wine, liquor, maybe some sweet malts

Taste- Liquor. Like taking a shot, then some sweetness, then finishes with heavy alcohol warmth. The more I drink the more I get nothing but liquor. The alcohol burn lingers on afterward.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied, decent carbonation. Better than I expected.

Overall- I don't really see the point to this beer, unless you're just looking for a buzz. It's probably the same buzz you'll get from any of the popular 40s (OE, King Cobra, etc), similar price, and slightly better tasting. Otherwise, don't bother.

2.79/5  rDev +47.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 500 ml bottle into a Peace Tree pint.

A: Pours a clear, pale orange-brown color with 1/2 finger of off-white head. No retention or lace, okay carbonation.

S: Vinous and even a bit sake-like. Odd but interesting.

T: Sweet and boozy, a little flat on the flavor. Some honey up front, but it can't sustain throughout the sip and the alcohol overtakes and spoils it a bit. Finish again reminds me of inexpensive (but drinkable) sake. There's a little sweet bread in here, too, but it also gets lost in the alcohol.

M: Nothing special, but the carbonation keeps it alive.

O: Reminds me of Stack, except I liked Stack better. This beer seems like it wants to be good, but doesn't quite get there. Glad I tried it, but probably wouldn't buy it again.

1.26/5  rDev -33.3%

500ml twist off bottle.

IT pours a clear dark orangeish gold with a fizzy white head that quickly dissipates.

It smells like mead, not like beer. I would bet they put some kind of sugary syrup in here to get to this abv.

The taste is syrupy and meadlike. There is some nuttiness, but this is harsh.

This really tastes like a bad braggot

3.07/5  rDev +62.4%

500 mL bottle,

A: Pours a clear gold with a fizzy minimal white head that doesn't make it past 2 seconds.

S: Honey and cider, some booze and malt. Pretty nice smell. Reminds me of a thin Sonoran 200 at times.

T: Light malt with some phenols and fruit esters (pear). Fairly boozy but contains it pretty well.

M: Medium-bodied but only from the ethanol, the actual malt flavour is minimal. Pretty smooth for how big it is. Thin on the finish.

O: A weird beer to try. As an English barleywine it is below average in the style. As a big ol' malt liquor it's pretty good. Take it for what it is, certainly not terrible.

1.37/5  rDev -27.5%

This beer pours like highly carbonated apple juice. Same color, same soda like head which dissappears immediately, not leaving any evidence of it's existance. The aroma is alcohol and cider forward. That is all. It's lacking character. The beer tastes like they mixed some alcoholic apple cider with a 40 and some cheap vodka. It tastes like freshman year mistakes mixed with frat party jungle juice. So weird. Mouthfeel was deceptively thin because of the high carbonation, but wasn't that bad if given a chance. The benefit of this beer, however, is that instead of being dissapointed with it, I am drunk and disappointed.

1.96/5  rDev +3.7%

A rare Romanian tick courtesy of Bobby.

A: The pour is clear golden with minimal carbonation and no head at all.

S: What a nose...Booze and honey immediately hit you and are reminiscent of a crappy mead. Sugary white grape juice is another comparison that comes to mind. Rubber and cooked vegetables are also present.

T: No better on the tongue. Searing alcoholic heat hits you like a ton of bricks. Hot as hell and once again like a poorly made mead. Intensely sugary with a bit of a cardboard flavor for good measure.

M: Medium to full in body with very low, almost non-existent, carbonation.

O: Bad in almost every way.

3.65/5  rDev +93.1%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter glass.

Look - very crisp looking, kind of golden/amber in color. Clear, with about a finger's worth of foam that dissipates very quickly. Carbonation is good.

Smell - very fruity smelling, kind of like a champagne. Maybe a little malty.

Taste and Mouthfeel - still tastes like a glass of champagne, but the alcohol is definitely present. Sweet, and not hoppy tasting at all and only a tinsy bit bitter. A little dry tasting. It really does taste more like a glass of champagne. Texture is pretty clean and well-balanced, but a little more toward the watery side.

Overall - Not a bad brew. Definitely worth a taste, but not my favorite among the barleywines. Not terribly complex either, but still decent.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Super Brew 15 from S. C. Martens S. A.