St. Ides High Gravity Malt Liquor | Saint Ides Brewing Company

Saint Ides Brewing Company
Texas, United States
pabst.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

St. Ides Premium Malt Liquor was renamed to St. Ides High Gravity Malt Liquor.

Added by Todd on 02-04-2002

3.5/5  rDev +54.9%

2.5/5  rDev +10.6%

2.9/5  rDev +28.3%

I went to the local Stewarts down the road after class to get a drink to start me off for a night of monopoly with a friend, and as I was walking to the store I was mentally weighing the positives and negatives of buying the usual suspects. Big Bear or Olde English? When I walked to the cooler, though, I was shocked to see this beauty!!! At the price of an Olde English (about 3.60 and change), I could be swilling 8.2 percent malt liquor!

I was ecstatic as I brought my new drink to the counter, barely able to control my excitement long enough to get out the door with the cap intact on the bottle. I took a back-way to my buddy's house, deciding to sample this 40 the right way: in public, while walking in the shadows of a ghetto neighborhood.

My first impression as I twisted the cap was that this thing was no joke. The cloudy appearance should have given it away, but this thing is packing some heat, and the smell really lets you onto just how much business this thing is packing.

The taste was pretty satisfying, once you got past the initial shock of the sheer amount of alcohol this thing contains, with some pleasant notes of sweet grass and toasty grains, with a slight musky flavor as others have noted.

The mouthfeel was on par with other 40's I have had, with the slipperyness and astringency expected from the high potency in this particular malt liquor.

Overall, I would highly recommend this brew to anyone who needs to get a great buzz going on a budget. It is by far the most economical beverage I have seen (although Big Bear and Natty Daddy are close up there.) The taste is pretty decent. I suggest drinking this outside in the winter for premium flavor.

2.25/5  rDev -0.4%

3.06/5  rDev +35.4%

Served in a 40 oz. bottle in a brown paper bag in a strip club parking lot.
A- couldn't see it through the brown paper bag
S- smelled like a blackout
T- caramel, stripper biscuit, elderberries, asphalt, no grapefruit, slightly boozy
M- felt like vomit before it comes up
O- it lives up to the hype, but only if you can find it extremely unfresh

2.04/5  rDev -9.7%

22oz bottle
Served in a pint glass

A - It is a beautiful golden beverage. A shy inch of white head was seen out of the corner of my eye.

S - It smells skunked. I get a little grain and alcohol.

T - It tastes like Ice Cube smacked me in the mouth.

M - Thin but velvety smooth.

O - I have to Bow Down to this malt liquor. It'll make you Check Yo Self. You don't have to be Men of Steel or Natural Born Killaz to enjoy this beer. Stay True to the Game and You Can Do It. All you have to do is Do Ya Thang. Really Doe.

1.75/5  rDev -22.6%

2.25/5  rDev -0.4%

3.25/5  rDev +43.8%

2.75/5  rDev +21.7%

1.75/5  rDev -22.6%

2.93/5  rDev +29.6%

The one Brown Bagger out of the big three that I haven't yet tried..Was I unconsciously avoiding it?

Pours a deep, clear gold and builds a nice temporary off white head that recedes to a ring..all the while leaving a more than fair amount of splotchy lace.

The smell of this one was no big surprise with grain, slight corn and a hint of that airy mustiness I notice with a lot of the common malt liquors.

Taste was par also..slightly sweet, a crack of bitterness midway and a clean, sweet, semi-dry finish. Mouthfeel is north of thin with mild carbonation.

I'm sure I've said it before but this is levels above the mainstream macro lagers in refinement and drinkability. Cheers!

St. Ides High Gravity Malt Liquor from Saint Ides Brewing Company