Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Squatters Captain Bastard's Oatmeal Stout | Utah Brewers Cooperative

Squatters Captain Bastard's Oatmeal StoutSquatters Captain Bastard's Oatmeal Stout
3.46/5

3.3

3.25/5  rDev -6.1%

4.25/5  rDev +22.8%

3.27/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Brown cola colored beer, beige head on it, well over 1". Aroma was a lot of burnt malt, or should I say, heavily roasted. Didn't get anything to make me think this had oats in it at the time. Lots of roast, leaving no traces of chocolate, coffee or hops to the senses.

Taste, ok, we're getting a little smoother, but nonetheless, especially for a 4% abv the bitterness is too high. The malt is too thin for how heavily roasted it is. Sure its 4% but you still need some body. Needs some chocolate or more chocolate malt. Its a decent beer, but it is far from a repeat purchase. There is a weird acidic bitterness from it, like some jerk decided to put a lemon in my beer. Except no one did.

This beer has too much burnt malt relative to all the other aspects of the beer. Tone that done, or soak it up with a bunch more 2 row that isn't so heavily roasted, that's where I would start improving this beer.

4.25/5  rDev +22.8%

3.25/5  rDev -6.1%

3.83/5  rDev +10.7%

Had on-tap at Squatters Pub in Salt Lake City.

A: black with some mahogany shades on the edges; light beige, one-finger head; no lace despite great nitro-enhanced retention; it seems the nitro-tap adds to the opacity of the beer, too - maybe?

S: roasted malt; a touch smoky; that's about it... stupid nitrogen!

T: tasty! Roasted malt and light coffee notes; sweetness cuts the roasted flavors; a kiss of cocoa and some oatmeal character on the end.

M: light; low, nitro-carbonation; a little thin, but to be expected at 4%.

O: a decent oatmeal stout, especially for the low abv; would like to try the regular version, as the nitro-tap tends to mute the aroma and some flavors.

*from notes 9/30/12

2.84/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured in a dimpled mug.

A-Poured a 1 finger head that didn't stick around for too long. The brew was coffee black. The head was beige and the ring around the edge of the glass was tan. Disappointed in the trace lacing left in the glass. The beer was too watery for the lace to stick. A lot of carbonation. I love stout beer and I want just a little less carbonation with a lot more cream on top. The type of cream you can eat with a spoon!

S-The smell was surprising. It smelt of roasted caramel malt, oatmeal, dark chocolate, smoked mocha and molasses. It smelt quite nice.

T-At first the taste was a watery molasses taste with a bloody/irony/metallic taste (it repulsed me!). After a few sips and when the brew began to warm, the other flavors began to bloom. I could taste smoked malt, oats, mocha, and hints of chocolate silk. I just wish the beer was creamier. I like my stouts creamy with a little warming effects from alcohol (especially when winter comes along). The aftertaste consisted of a dry molasses taste.

M-Medium bodied and quite watery. I like thicker/stronger stouts. Pretty average.

Overall-Not may favorite for this style. 4% ABV stout does not really do it for me. The flavors are fine, but the overall effects of this brew did not wow me. And I can't seem to think anyone would want to drink iron/metal/blood, unless you're a vampire.

3.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Beer #15 in my great Utah Brew Hunt.

Damn. I should have had this before the King's Peak Porter instead of the other way around. Whereas it's a passable oatmeal stout, it doesn't really do a whole lot for me...at first. As it warms, the tones you want to see really come out and it strikes me as more hearty. (This beer actually sat out for about an hour before I even cracked it open.)

My suggestion is to drink this one at cellar temperature, or after leaving it out for some time. (Got a lot better as it warmed and time went on.)

3.69/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass.

3.5 A: Clear dark brown color. Two fingers of frothy beige head. Retention is about average and a short ring of lacing is left.

4.5 S: Smells great! Moderate roastiness, big graininess, lots of chocolate, and plenty of oats. Everything I want in an oatmeal stout.

3.5 T: Taste is good, but it's thin compared to the nose. Dry graininess. Moderate roastiness. A lot less chocolate, little sweetness, and minor molasses.

3.0 M: Lighter body. A bit overcarbonated. Too thin for my liking and not creamy.

3.5 D: If this tasted like it smelled, I'd be mighty happy. Unfortunately, this is too thin and too dry. Still tasty though.

2.5/5  rDev -27.7%

3.42/5  rDev -1.2%

Coal black color like a stout ought to be; initial tan head formation, but it doesn’t stick around

Smells inviting: lots of oat and cocoa and a bit of coffee, some cola, raisins, and molasses. Not as roasty or hoppy as some American stouts, but it still has a good aroma to it.

First few sips has me thinking this could pass as a porter, so it’s certainly not a big stout, but what’s there is very enjoyable. It has a nice coffee-flavored finish that lingers nicely. Body and texture are also just a tad small; it does have some good smoothness from the oats, but I’d take even more; and I’d also like just a bit more weight to it; carbonation is just fine. The coffee flavor makes up the majority of the flavor, but it’s not a big, espresso-like coffee flavor—more of a coffee cut with a bit of milk and cocoa. Good flavor!

Overall Squatters’ stout is a nice tasting beer, but one I would classify as small for a stout. That doesn’t diminish my enjoyment, however. I just saw online that the AVB is 4%, so that explains a lot. And really, for a lighter beer, it has good flavor. I could drink a few of these in a row no problem. Having tried at least four beers now by Squatters, I’m convinced these guys know what they’re doing.

Squatters Captain Bastard's Oatmeal Stout from Utah Brewers Cooperative