Wasatch Bourbon Barrel Polygamy Porter | Utah Brewers Cooperative

Added by NicolasBird on 01-21-2018

View: Beers
Reviews by Vidblain:
3.06/5  rDev -14.3%

Polygamy Porter was one of the first nitro beers that I ever enjoyed from a bottle - it's old hat now, but I was tremendously impressed at the time. I bought a lot of Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro and Polygamy Porter Nitro for a while!

I stumbled across a four pack of Bourbon Barrel Polygamy Porter the other day, while tracking down Barrel Aged Darkness bottles... and my curiosity got the best of me. Full disclosure: my hopes were not high. My recently experiences with canned BA stouts have been uniformly disappointing.

Sadly, my expectations were met. Poured in to a snifter, BA PP has a fair amount of carbonation but minimal head. It smells quite powerfully boozy... and the taste very much reflects that. Somehow, it still manages to feel tepid and thin. The bourbon is a strong alcohol presence, but it doesn't have much distinction - and due to the strength of the bourbon, it's difficult to decipher anything beneath that boozy presence.

I'd prefer a bottle of the nitro just about any day. This was an unfortunate disappointment.

3.54/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a darkish brown that allows some red light through and with a light tan head. Smells of bourbon and chocolate. Tastes of boozy bourbon, chocolate, some sweetness, and lightly roasted malts. Medium-light thin body (oddly enough for a 9.5%) with medium carbonation. Overall it’s an ok beer. Tastes good but the flavors don’t work as much for me and the thin body was strange for such a big beer.

3.7/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

It pours an extremely dark brown - not QUITE jet black, but a little bit darker than the regular Polygamy Porter. On the nose, the bourbon and alcohol come through very strongly - stronger than I would prefer honestly. Luckily, it's not as harsh on the taste as the nose suggests. A lot of the sweetness of the normal Polygamy Porter isn't here though - the chocolatey flavors are hidden and coffee notes are non-existent. I get a lot of bourbon, licorice, oakiness, some nuttiness, dark fruits, a bit of dark chocolate, and just a hint of vanilla. The alcohol is noticeable and gives it a little bit of a sharpness on the back end. Not a huge fan of the mouthfeel, and the body still seems a bit light - though the base beer has a very light body, so maybe it was unavoidable.

Maybe I'm being a little bit harsh because this isn't a style I'm accustomed to. This blows up my palette. I don't know if I'll get a chance to try it again, as this is the first time they've done this, and who knows if they'll do it again? I will say that it's good, it's got a lot of interesting flavors. I can appreciate all that's going on and the flavors become more prominent as it warms up.

4.12/5  rDev +15.4%

Tried this for the first time at the beer store and then took one home to review. Upon pouring into a tulip, I was immediately greeted by a huge waft of bourbon way before I even got my nose close to the glass. Accompanied by a sweet chocolate smell, the bourbon is very pronounced. It pours very dark brown, not quite black, not too thick with very little head to speak of. Tastes like chocolate and vanilla infused bourbon porter. Great taste although I think it needs to age in a can/bottle a little longer as it seems like the beer is somewhat in its infant stages and a little age would bring out the flavors that much more. I'm not a fan of Wasatch beers but I went into this one unbiased as I do love a good bourbon barrel aged beer, and this passed the good beer test. I will get a few more to age and see if the flavors get more pronounced with time.

2.79/5  rDev -21.8%

3.85/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.1/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.41/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Wasatch Bourbon Barrel Polygamy Porter from Utah Brewers Cooperative