Squatters Hop Rising Double IPA | Utah Brewers Cooperative

good
Read the review
Squatters Hop Rising Double IPASquatters Hop Rising Double IPA

Utah Brewers Cooperative

utahbeers.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

A mighty hop-lover's dream. Hop rising adds malty backbone to an intense Imperial IPA. This insanely smooth dry-hopped ale has everything: 9% ALC/VOL, 72 IBUs, and yes, thats our master brewer Jason Stock pitching in on the label.

Added by Wasatch on 08-11-2009

Ratings: 1,130 |  Reviews: 261

I originally rated lower the first time I tried it (3.75), but after drinking this beer several times since then I have grown to appreciate this as my go-to favorite beer. My local beer store always carries it for $8.69 - that's less than $1/ABV, which is alright by me... This beer will grow balls on a woman and put hair on a man's chin - be careful my friends.

Checked into hotel (Springhill Suites) in N. Las Vegas about 1 am last Friday and this was one of two craft brew options from the fridge in the lobby (I don't recall the other). Wow, did it hit the spot after a long travel day! Great taste! Great feel. Well done!

4.92/5  rDev +29.8%

4.91/5  rDev +29.6%

4.76/5  rDev +25.6%

4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

I have consumed this nectar from the gods’ dozens, if not hundreds of times. So maybe I figured I would write a review. Firstly, some of the reviews here that came in under a 4 – I automatically assume that you are part of ISIS, or un-American. This is without a doubt, one of the top 5 beers I have had to date. Most craft beer “snobs” would not know a good IPA if it slapped him in the liver. Firstly, for some reason here in South Dakota the glass bottles are cheaper than the bottles. I poured out of the glass bottle for this; It pours a very light orange color with a bright white head, the head stays throughout the duration of the beer and lacing is great. The Aroma didn’t quite slap me with hops as expected out of most (double) IPA’s where as you have a pine/grassy/grapefruit smells. After tastes are Carmel and a very apparent malt after taste. They nailed this double IPA, not bitter but smooth. Carbonation is perfect throughout the entire beer. As a warning this beer hits the scales at a whopping 9%ABV- Know that polishing off a 6er of this will incapacitate you for a bit. We have all been young and grabbed that $2.00 tall boy of “high gravity” in our younger days that tasted like a mix between ethanol, nail polish remover, gonorrhea and your worst headache. Squatters Double IPA I would venture to say is the grown up high gravity for people who don’t want to punish their liver with old English. I will reiterate, three of these sets me just right after a long day of work, more than 3 getting up early is more of a chore anymore. I have tried numerous other DIPA beers and only other beer that has come close has been Rogue’s Brutal IPA.

4.69/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a very cloudy darker amber color with a very small foamy head. Head retention is not that great. Lacing is mild. Has a strong piney aroma with some citrus thrown in. Very smooth malt to hop transition. Bready to a strong piney hop. Nice bitter aftertaste. Not too soapy. Cannot detect a lot of citrus in the taste, but it is there. The alcohol content is evident initially, but it is very smooth.

4.67/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Drinkin this at Le Bon Temps Roule in New Orleans!

4.66/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Great nose, tastes of citrus, pine. very slamable.. good year round

Squatters Hop Rising Double IPA from Utah Brewers Cooperative