Squatters Hop Rising Double IPA | Utah Brewers Cooperative

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Wasatch on 08-11-2009

Reviews: 251 | Ratings: 1,090
3.92/5  rDev +3.4%

I love hops. I don't much like malty unless it is balanced with hops. I love Double Jack, Ruination, and other imperial IPA's.

In the mood for sumpin new tonight. I was a bit skeptical, it being from Utah and all. When I poured this baby into a cold glass, the copper color was a bit surprising. Double Jack looks like a Pils compared to this. The hoppiness was great, more than I expected for 72 IBU rating. It's been 5 mins since I finished and I still taste some hops. Yum.

Round 2, ding ding!

3.98/5  rDev +5%

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle. Not sure how fresh this was but I had it on April 19, 2015.

It poured a heady golden color with excellent clarity.

The aroma has some bready malts under everything even though the earthy and resiny hops pompously present themselves. Still, I pick up a hint of booze.

The body is medium

The taste tends to focus on the earthy hop bitterness but it ends semui-dry and lightly bitter.

4.06/5  rDev +7.1%

Really just lucked into this one. Was having a taster at The Pub in Vegas and one of the samples was bad so I asked them to surprise me with one of their choice and this is what I got. Ended up being one of the better one. It poured a translucent orange with thin white head the nose was old world floral and piney hops and the taste was very similar with an added alcohol burn. Nicely balanced for a double.

2.99/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 3.25

I'm not a big hops fan. So I guess this rating is because of that. If you like a very hoppy and fairly carbonated desk, then you'll like this. Only thing I like it's the 9% abv

3.95/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Enjoy by 3-12-15, so kind of near the end of desired time...

Pours a chill-hazed amber with 2 fingers cream colored head. Super lacing & above average head retention

S: Some breadiness & floral hops, then pineapple kicks in as this warms

T: Follows the nose, grapefruit rind as well up front, slight malty sweetness up front. Some pineapple, a little honey malt, grapefruit with a little lime & grassiness as this warms. Finishes, piney a little tropical & cakey, a little grassy

MF: Medium bodied, lively carbonation, great balance

Drinks so easy, would love to try this fresher, but I enjoyed it as it is. Would certainly buy again...

3.21/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Very drinkable and affordable double IPA with a good value. Alcohol is detectable in taste and aroma. Taste is piney, citrusy, boozey, bitter, then sweet malt on the finish although a little less bitter than I would expect. Nice head thick (I gave a bit hard of a pour) which held a miniscule ring throughout with moderate lacing. My favorite things about this beer are the upfront citrus notes, the mouthfeel, and abv. This isn't the most complex DIPA by no means but it gets the job done and is an excellent beer for the price.

3.63/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not my favorite DIPA but good enough I keep buying more.It tastes good, but very safe, it doesn't challenge my palate the way my favorites do.
L: Pours a fairly clear clean copper/orange color, with a very thin head that dissipates very fast leaving lacing.
S: Very faint citrus hop aroma.
T: Not a lot of taste going on. A little too malty for my taste. Initial bitterness quickly overrun by malty sweetness, but a very dry bitter finish which I like.Pine dominates the hop impression.
F: This may sound strange, there is a fairly heavy mouth coating sensation, low carbonation and noticeable alcohol burn that numbs the gums.
Although not my favorite DIPA, it is in my rotation because it is affordable, available, and boozy. It may fall out of the rotation in the summer but I want it on these cold winter nights.

4.34/5  rDev +14.5%

Great Hoppy bear for non Hop Heads. Initial citrus burst with smooth hop flavor with a nice bitter aftertaste. Beer is very hazy; look does not do justice for the taste. Overall a great beer.

3.61/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A sweet grapefruit like aroma. . Orange and ruby clear body. Head thins out a laces the glass nicely. Strong bitterness upfront. Has a light fruit and caramel malt balance. Finishes clean and refreshing for something this strong. I’ll be happy to have this one anytime.

4.04/5  rDev +6.6%

a dark blonde that delivers a spice but then you get a distinctive grapefruit, citrus taste. The hops give the beer a certain amount of bitterness but then again it's double IPA. However, it transitions well and finishes clean.

4.2/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

WOW I don't care for hoppy beers, yet despite being a double hop this beer is very drinkable. Careful this beer is 9% so a six will cost you a little more but you won't taste the alchohol.

3.46/5  rDev -8.7%

Hazy and a thin head with lacing.
Smell is boring. Boring. My nose must be busted.

The flavor is the shining beacon of this beer and it is boozy. You don't get many dIPA that leave enough room for those alcohols to add their lovely touch, but with this one the late flavor, after a mild hop bite (pretty mild), there's a great boozy grain flavor with mild sugar-sweetness. The result is something complex, something to sip on. It make me forget the dull smell. Game on.

I give it an extra high overall score b/c at my liquor store it is priced like a standard beer but its a solid double. That is worth points. If it was priced like a double, drop the overall to a 3. If only there was a nose. Bottle labeled as "enjoy by 3/16/15" - did that.

4.12/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

So smooth for a double - wow. Look is a sunrise orange. yellow if glass is thin. Head is 2 fingers and settles to .33 inches. Smell is wonderful - blend of citrus and flower. Taste is out of this world for a 9.0 ABV. Where did they hide the alcohol. Warming sensation going down and so smooth in the mouth. Excellent beer. Will revisit.

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

Sent to me by my son in Texas. Poured from a can into a glass, this DIPA had a nice foamy head, with plenty of lacing as the glass was emptied. Amber color, a bit on the red side. Dry hopped, with 72 IBUs, and measuring in at 9% abv.

The aroma was a bit piney with some sweetness coming thru. On the first sip, some hop notes, a little malty sweetness then a quick bitter taste. On the back end there was a minimal alcoholic burn, but overall this beer is very well balanced.

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

One of my favorite examples of the style. So flavorful and yet still balanced. Not an astringent bitterness, but a floral, citrus, and pine experience that pairs well with the malt sweetness.

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

I'll admit this one is a tad thing for a DIPA, but the flavor profile does it justice. The aroma does not have the punch of some of my favorite doubles but the notes of pine and fruit create a really well balanced flavor that is just so enjoyable. Great balance of sweet and bitter that works so well. This one is a staple in my beer fridge. At 9%, canned in six packs at a hell of a price, this one is a winner!

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

A - Dark gold, almost reddish. White head leaves heaby lacing.
S - Hop heavy of course. Pine resin, some earthy notes, grass. Light caramel.
T - Little bit of the malt sweetness before the hop bitterness lands.
M - Medium body (which feels thin for a DIPA) Medium carb. Moves over the palate. Bitterness doesn't linger.
O-Surprisingly drinkable for a double. Well put together. Happy to have tried.

4.01/5  rDev +5.8%

Certainly not bad. But kind of thin for a IIPA, like Dirtwolf. And not getting much in the rather mild aroma. And there isn't the wonderful ripe-fruit sweetness of Dirtwolf. There's also an aftertaste of bright ethanol that blunts what IIPA-goodness came before it. Definitely a nice, bready grain.

Wait, wait. Actually, as it warms, it's getting a lot better. A bigger malt sweetness has emerged to counter the astringent aftertaste. I'm gonna raise my original score (3.75).

The aroma is still really not good.

4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

I have consumed this nectar from the gods’ dozens, if not hundreds of times. So maybe I figured I would write a review. Firstly, some of the reviews here that came in under a 4 – I automatically assume that you are part of ISIS, or un-American. This is without a doubt, one of the top 5 beers I have had to date. Most craft beer “snobs” would not know a good IPA if it slapped him in the liver. Firstly, for some reason here in South Dakota the glass bottles are cheaper than the bottles. I poured out of the glass bottle for this; It pours a very light orange color with a bright white head, the head stays throughout the duration of the beer and lacing is great. The Aroma didn’t quite slap me with hops as expected out of most (double) IPA’s where as you have a pine/grassy/grapefruit smells. After tastes are Carmel and a very apparent malt after taste. They nailed this double IPA, not bitter but smooth. Carbonation is perfect throughout the entire beer. As a warning this beer hits the scales at a whopping 9%ABV- Know that polishing off a 6er of this will incapacitate you for a bit. We have all been young and grabbed that $2.00 tall boy of “high gravity” in our younger days that tasted like a mix between ethanol, nail polish remover, gonorrhea and your worst headache. Squatters Double IPA I would venture to say is the grown up high gravity for people who don’t want to punish their liver with old English. I will reiterate, three of these sets me just right after a long day of work, more than 3 getting up early is more of a chore anymore. I have tried numerous other DIPA beers and only other beer that has come close has been Rogue’s Brutal IPA.

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

Nutty biscuit nose with some citrus. Pours bright orange with a slight haze under a yellow tinted 1” white head that dissipates fairly quickly. The palate begins with biscuit, a hint of nuts, fruit – orange and then melon followed by a hint of lemon ending with a citrusy bitter finish that lingers. Medium carbonation and body with a finish tending towards dry. 9% alcohol not very noticeable.

3.79/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had it fresh multiple times from bottle and can. Pours copper with a 2 finger white head. Smells fruity. Tastes more resinous than fruity. Big sticky body. Sharply bitter and long finish. This is a sipper for sure. Since I've had it so often as Squatters is local to me, I have found it to be an awesome brew to have when settling in for something that takes an hour or more, such as a long reading session or watching sports. If it's winter, even better, because the high alcohol adds a pleasant warming experience. I love and highly recommend trying this brew.

3.74/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: 4.0 - Lovely copper color with a small but dense head.
S: 3.75 - Lots of grapefruit-citrus hop aroma.
T: 3.75 - Hmm, did I call the hop variety wrong? The taste (which is highly, bracingly bitter) seems more resiny than citrus. It can't cover up the heavy malt, though, which is a major component and seems sweeter at the finish. Definitely warming as well, after a few drinks.
M: 3.5 - Quite heavy and thick.
O: 3.75 - Nothing special in this crowded market of DIPAs, but a decent sipping one.

3.86/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a hazy orange-copper body with a creamy -looking white head of sticky lacing.
Smells like juicy orange/lemon rind, with some grapefruit, and malts.
Tastes good enough, in a bitter syrupy orange rind kind of way. Initially I felt like hop profile took a background to the bread. But not so. It's just a citrus-centered, hop-intense DIPA with a bitter zing and a malt backbone. The alcohol does pop through, and this ends a bit dry as well as puckering. Standard stuff, but still tasty.

4.21/5  rDev +11.1%

Dark yellow orange body with a nice cream head. Citrus hop aroma with a mild earth smell. Thick creamy mouth feel. Taste bitter citrus with a slight sweet aftertaste. This is pretty good. Better than expected.

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from bottle into Mason Jar. Orangish Red, 7/10 clarity, Smell: lively hop, honey and burned malt. Taste: hops are upfront and alcohol kicks in as it sits. I had a can previously and for some reason the bottle tastes better. The can's date was close to expiration (maybe this was a difference). Too much alcohol for me. I like the black and white picture label with khaki background better than the color one in the picture.

Squatters Hop Rising Double IPA from Utah Brewers Cooperative