Wasatch Jalapeño Cream Ale

Wasatch Jalapeño Cream AleWasatch Jalapeño Cream Ale
Notes:
View: Beers
Reviews: 9 | Ratings: 37 | Log in to view all ratings and sort

By far my go to. Just filled three growlers and I’m sure they won’t last. It’s a great Chile beer. I really like spicy and to me this isn’t nearly spicy enough, but finding a quality drinkable Chile beer with great character is always a plus! If you don’t do spicy then look elsewhere and if you love spicy you’ll probably think it’s not quite hot enough, nonetheless it’s my go to right now!

4.28/5  rDev +10.6%

I find it amusing that some reviews complain about the strong JALAPENO character of the beer. I'm sorry, but what is the name of this beer? It's like complaining about a strawberry milkshake tasting to much like, well... strawberry. Yes Jalapeno is the dominant aroma and flavor, but it surfs on top of a really solid cream ale. Crisp, yet creamy and the pepper flavor is genuine and works in balance with the malt/hop underpinning. One of the better flavored brews I've had, and just to clarify- yes it tastes of JALAPENOS!

4.58/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Delicious piquant beer served with Hispanic food fare as a wonderful compliment to Camarones de diablo. Smooth cream ale with a fresh jalepeno bite just hard enough to whet your appetite for more. Has a nice foam, light body, beautiful light amber color. What's not to like.

3.68/5  rDev -4.9%

I guess people who drink beer typically don't like spicy food judging from this thread. I however really liked this beer. It is spicy the jalapeno is definitely there. I am glad I had this beer with food. The mouthfeel is a cream ale kind of that frothy silky smooth texture. The aroma is that of vegetable, and the taste as I have noted spicy. Mixing a strong spice with a cream ale though is creative and the latter balances it out, a good style to mix with jalapenos. Overall I would not buy a six pack of this, but it is something I am very happy to have tried. It is creative.

3.67/5  rDev -5.2%

this isn't retired at all, its on right now at Wasatch park city. the pour is like a standard pale ale, light copper in color with an inch of white sturdy head. the nose is wow! fresh jalapeno peppers, some of them may be roasted slightly, but the vegetable component is robust in the nose. there is also malty forward, pale and crystal malts, but the peppers really dominate. the flavor starts off wonderfully peppery and hoppy, balanced expertly, and really downright delicious, but then it starts to get hot, then hotter, then hotter yet, and finally your whole mouth is on fire. the heat burns the throat and stays with you for far too long. I like the pepper flavor, and think its balanced well by the other ingredients, but I really don't care for all this heat. like a shot of hot sauce. a pint would be a challenge for me. the fine carbonation and creamy medium body are overwhelmed by the heat. overall a cool beer to try, especially if you like that jalapeno fire, but hardly a session beer! whew!

1.74/5  rDev -55%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Beer is not retired as I just had one at the wasatch brew pub in park city tonight. I couldn't resist trying as it sounded so different, I had wish I stayed away. The beers appearance is as good as it gets, smell is just of the jalapeño. Taste is completely dominated by jalapeño again, for me it was to the point that I could barely drink the beer. All spice and heat with a lot of pepper taste. Overall this was one of the worst beers I've had, I could barely drink it and only finished it with the help of my buddy. It literally made my stomach upset. I was hoping hoping the "cream ale" part would have counterbalanced the jalapeño to make a balanced beer, unfortunately the jalapeño dominates everything.

3.63/5  rDev -6.2%

Enjoyed at the Park City brewpub, poured in a mug.

Light orange, perfectly clear. One finger of furry off-white head becomes a fuzzy top layer. Little patches of lace.

Very vegetal nose. Lightly fruity, but with a grainy lager character as well as crackers and white bread.

Same deal in the flavor. Jalapeno rind rules the flavor, but the heat never arrives, which is good. A tiny bit of crackers before a dry, clean finish.

Light, watery body with medium massaging carbonation. No booze or peppery heat. Very clean throughout.

Interesting. Jalapeno isn't my favorite flavor, and as such I find most beers made with them pretty undrinkable. This isn’t bad, though.

3.65/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured a hazy medium gold with a one finger white head that faded slowly, very little lacing.

Aroma was dominated by the jalapeno pepper, I couldn't smell anything else.

Taste definitely followed the nose and was dominated by the jalapeno, i could taste a slight hint of a light grainy malt.

Mouth feel was light leaning medium body, light carbonation, and spicy smooth.

Overall this was a beer you need to enjoy with some spicy food and you wouldn't drink much of it at one time. A different beer that lives up to its name.

3.97/5  rDev +2.6%

Sampled on draft.

Pours a cloudy golden-orange color with a decently formed white head.

The jalapeno really comes out on the aroma. Smells very nice and I have to give them credit here because a lot of pepper beers fail at that.

The flavor has a pale malt base that gives way to a solid jalapeno punch. Very fresh-tasting.

Smooth and creamy on the mouthfeel with medium-light body.

This is a subtle but very well-done beer overall. Doesn't try to do too much, and I respect that. Very drinkable pepper session beer.

Wasatch Jalapeño Cream Ale from Utah Brewers Cooperative