Nosedive | The Shed Brewery

Style: American Porter

Added by Brad007 on 02-05-2014

Reviews by Brad007:
3.29/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I barely noticed this on the shelves. It's been a while since I've had a proper porter so why not?

Pours a dark brown with a one-finger head into my glass. It is brewed with vanilla, which can be either hit or miss.

Robust with a strong hint of vanilla upfront, possibly artificial. Bottle makes no mention. Secondary aromas are of cocoa and dark fruit.

Vanilla barely registers on the tongue, nearly overshadowed by cocoa and perhaps molasses. Again, this type of ale is always hit or miss depending on the brewery's individual effort(s).

Mouthfeel is slick and a bit creamy to boot, similar to a good oatmeal stout (which this is not). Goes down cleanly with only a touch of vanilla.

Very drinkable. I would probably pair it with a breakfast of eggs, bacon and toast. I'm no expert on food pairings but that is what I crave after drinking this. Pick it up before it's gone.

4.01/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I really enjoyed this beer, Being semi new to the beer world, this was my first porter. It had a really good nose to it, very smooth, great tasting beer, having had tried other porters at this point, I can't say at all that this is my favorite, but its definitely very, very good.

4.04/5  rDev +7.2%

This Porter, although cheap for a tall boy, is among one of my favorites. Perfect vanilla notes and lovely flavor. I always stock this in the fridge in case I get a craving for it in the summer months.

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

3.91/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A great brew glad we were able to enjoy this limited release porter.

On tap at Colitina Exit in Bradford VT.

22oz pours

dark dark dark

Roast malt and vanilla bean aroma

roast, coffee with a bit of vanilla lurking in the depths

medium body

luscious, a truly decent porter that is so smooth.

3.47/5  rDev -8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

3.6/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.49/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

6.75 ABV. Unfiltered. not very effervescent. Very dark. Latent carbonation. Light body. Dark ashy finish. Unique. Good.

4.4/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This was a very smooth and drinkable porter. Definitely will get another bottle

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured into a Sam Adam's glass. Came to a nice head. I probably served it a little to cold for a Porter, haven't not let it warmed up enough to fully enjoy. Shared it with a buddy and we agreed that it was overall a very nice beer; maybe I'm rating it a little high. I tend to like porters and stouts.
I think maybe I rated it high because it was already in my head that I was going to enjoy this beer, and I did. I've only had a couple of Shed offerings and have enjoyed them both. I was surprised to see the other reviews did not give it higher marks. The one I had was a bomber, so hopefully that is why the other reviews were lower. I would not hesitate to give it a try if you come across it.

3.85/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This was poured into an English pint glass. The appearance was a dark brown color with slight ruby hues along the sides. The head was about a finger’s worth of white to off white foaminess quickly dissipating. Lacing was barely there. The smell starts off with robust coffee beans delivering on sweet rich dark and milk chocolate. Vanilla enters in as it warms. The taste was moderately sweet with a delicate roastiness about it. The aftertaste is sweet milk chocolate leading into a wet finish. On the palate, this one sat about a light to medium on the body with a fairly decent sessionability about it. Carbonation runs fairly light allowing a really nice smooth sweet stickiness running all over my tongue. Overall, as an English Porter this one works despite not having the "dark fruits" element to it. I’d still have it again.

3.85/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.39/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

From the 650 ml. bottle dated 01/31/14. Sampled on April 4, 2014.

It pours dark brown to about jet black with a small tan head that erupts and fades as quickly. A little cloudy if I look close enough because it is pretty opaque.

The aroma is of sweet dark malts, mellow coffee, and vanilla beans but nothing overtakes anything else. Each has its own part to play on the nose.

Thin to medium body.

The vanilla comes forward a b it more in the flavor, which it should considering they mention it on the label. But I also get a dry, earthy bitterness to seal the deal. Pleasant.

3.77/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer poured a rich dark black color in to my tulip glass. The nose is mostly of the roasted malts with not a lot of the vanilla coming through. The taste runs along the same lines with a great roasted malt taste but very lacking in the vanilla flavor. It still is a solid porter but not if your looking for a good vanilla flavor.

3.22/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.16/5  rDev +10.3%

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nosedive from The Shed Brewery