Nosedive | The Shed Brewery

Reviews: 17 | Ratings: 80
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

4.01/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I really enjoyed this beer, Being semi new to the beer world, this was my first porter. It had a really good nose to it, very smooth, great tasting beer, having had tried other porters at this point, I can't say at all that this is my favorite, but its definitely very, very good.

4.04/5  rDev +7.4%

This Porter, although cheap for a tall boy, is among one of my favorites. Perfect vanilla notes and lovely flavor. I always stock this in the fridge in case I get a craving for it in the summer months.

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

3.91/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A great brew glad we were able to enjoy this limited release porter.

On tap at Colitina Exit in Bradford VT.

22oz pours

dark dark dark

Roast malt and vanilla bean aroma

roast, coffee with a bit of vanilla lurking in the depths

medium body

luscious, a truly decent porter that is so smooth.

3.47/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.25/5  rDev -13.6%

3.6/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.9/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.49/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

6.75 ABV. Unfiltered. not very effervescent. Very dark. Latent carbonation. Light body. Dark ashy finish. Unique. Good.

4.4/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This was a very smooth and drinkable porter. Definitely will get another bottle

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured into a Sam Adam's glass. Came to a nice head. I probably served it a little to cold for a Porter, haven't not let it warmed up enough to fully enjoy. Shared it with a buddy and we agreed that it was overall a very nice beer; maybe I'm rating it a little high. I tend to like porters and stouts.
I think maybe I rated it high because it was already in my head that I was going to enjoy this beer, and I did. I've only had a couple of Shed offerings and have enjoyed them both. I was surprised to see the other reviews did not give it higher marks. The one I had was a bomber, so hopefully that is why the other reviews were lower. I would not hesitate to give it a try if you come across it.

3.39/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

From the 650 ml. bottle dated 01/31/14. Sampled on April 4, 2014.

It pours dark brown to about jet black with a small tan head that erupts and fades as quickly. A little cloudy if I look close enough because it is pretty opaque.

The aroma is of sweet dark malts, mellow coffee, and vanilla beans but nothing overtakes anything else. Each has its own part to play on the nose.

Thin to medium body.

The vanilla comes forward a b it more in the flavor, which it should considering they mention it on the label. But I also get a dry, earthy bitterness to seal the deal. Pleasant.

3.77/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer poured a rich dark black color in to my tulip glass. The nose is mostly of the roasted malts with not a lot of the vanilla coming through. The taste runs along the same lines with a great roasted malt taste but very lacking in the vanilla flavor. It still is a solid porter but not if your looking for a good vanilla flavor.

3.22/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.16/5  rDev +10.6%

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.65/5  rDev -2.9%

Vanilla notes are present but not prominent. Has the roasty overtones you'd expect from a porter. Nice and dark and heavy with just a little sweetness from that vanilla.

Ever had like… a vanilla bean soaked in vodka?

3.79/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.75

I picked this up at Highland Pizzeria during a previous period of unemployment and set it aside, awaiting the right moment (or for it to pop up in the backlog). My interest was recently re-sparked & so I put it in the reefer to cool off as I made my way through some DC Brau collaborations. The last of the five was a RIS & it kind of put me in the mood for a Porter. I apologize both for it coming in a bottle & if my drinking a Porter right after a world-class RIS offends you. If not, then disregard what I said.

From the bottle: "A deep Stowe, Vermont heritage, this small batch classic now makes its home in Middlebury, Vermont."; "Named for the legendary Vermont ski run, Nosedive twists and turns the tastebuds with a rich, robust malt profile that's steeped with the sweetness of vanilla."; "Brewed in VT"; "Brewed Fresh Since 1995 - Established in Stowe, Vermont"; "Born in Stowe, Vermont, at the legendary Shed Restaurant & Brewery. Moved to Middlebury to raise up a family of Vermont ales."

I Pop!ped the cap and let fly with a heavy-handed pour. It was doing well as far as head production was concerned, so I just kept up my pour until the bottle was emptied. This resulted in just under two fingers of dense, puffy, light-tan head that hung in just long enough to be notable. Color was Very Dark Brown to Black/Opaque (SRM = > 34, < 44), but much closer to 44, except for the cola highlights at the edges. Nose smelled like a Dixie Cup of Chocolate & Vanilla Ice Cream! Man, I remember when Pennsupreme Dairy was still going and this was a real treat as a kid, although the wooden spoon reminded me of a tongue depressor at Aunt Doc's office. Actually, this was more towards Dark Chocolate than Milk Chocolate, but the analogy still puts you in the ballpark. Warming, I was also getting a light smokiness. Time for a sip! Mouthfeel was on the thin side, not watery, but thin and especially for the style. The taste reminded me of a pleasant combination of 'Nilla Wafers & Oreos. Definitely vanilla and chocolate! I felt like a little kid again, having juice & cookies after our nap. Man, I could go back to that time in a heartbeat! The innocence; a great teacher and my first girlfriend, a fellow ginger with whom I would hold hands, eat lunch & sat next to of our own willful volition. She was my first kiss & there was initial concern until cooler heads prevailed since were only 5 y/o. Another digression. I may be losing my mind. Or, it may have been lost long ago. I liked the cookie-like/biscuity flavor, especially on the semi-dry finish. It put me in mind of Enrico's Biscotti's Marble Biscotti from Pixburgh's Strip District. Vanilla & Chocolate dough rolled together & baked. Mmm. This was nice.

Nosedive from The Shed Brewery