Love Belgian Beer?

Mountain AleMountain Ale

The Shed Brewery
Vermont, United States | website

Style: English Strong Ale

An English-style strong ale. This brown ale has great malt depth and drinks like a session beer.

Added by Jason on 05-07-2012

3.8

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
Reviews: 80 | Ratings: 569
4.43/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

L: The color is about a 13-14 on the SRM. Definitely cloudy in appearance when held up to the light with some of the ingredients visibly floating around. The head did not last too long and it had a lightish foaminess to it. There was some lacing though not a lot.

S: There is a definite alcohol kick to the aroma, but considering its 7.4% ABV not bad. With a breadiness like generic store bought wheat bread. A little sweetish with stone fruit notes and some woodiness kind of cedarish. Definitely some pepper not much clove and a little bit of orange.

T: The flavor had spiciness to it and a woodiness to the aftertaste. There was a toasted flavor, almost burnt at first but giving way to the former. If there was any fruit flavor it would be grapefruit and maybe a little banana, but not much. There was a nuttiness, like pistachio and macadamia at the end.

F: It was creamy in mouthfeel not very astringent at all with a warmth on the tongue. The finish had a little bite IMO.

O: Overall it's a nice beer and the creaminess balanced with the warmth was really nice. The bitterness of the grapefruit didn't linger long. I would recommend it, felt like the people that made it put a lot of heart into it.

After last week's disaster with Trout River Choclate Stout, I was a little gun shy about adventuring into something else. I have seen Shed around but never triied it until tonite. The suprise I got tonite was one I would welcome anytime. I spent the same money (about ($9.00 for 6) but this time instead of anemic, flat, disgusting ,rusty barrel water, I discovered an amazing beer. Everything is right here. Pours dark with a beautiful creamy head. Full bodied high quality malt with a light hop finish. This is an amazing beer. They don't get any better. 7.4 % what else could one want?

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

I have to admit that brown ale is among my favorite beer varieties, and I am therefor biased. However, even among a genre of which I am inclined, this beer sticks out. Its flavor is not only rich, but it is distinct among brown ales. It is not too harsh , and is remarkably smooth for such a strong flavor. I usually like to explore new beers and breweries, and don't often buy the same thing twice, however, this will certainly be an exception.

3.78/5  rDev -0.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into an nonic. Pours a dark, opaque brown with a 2-finger off-white head. Nice wispy lacing. Aroma is mostly caramel malts and a bit fruity.

Taste upfront is bready, caramel and some toastiness; nutty with just a hint of chocolate on the back end. The description on the bottle claims a 'pronounced hop finish' but I can't say that I'm getting it. The malt sweetness and bitterness are nicely balanced here. Medium, slightly chewy mouthfeel and a soft carbonation that does a nice job rounding out the flavors.

Overall I was pretty pleased with this beer. Hearty yet drinkable.

3.61/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance: pours dark brown in low/medium light and ruby red/amber in direct light. unfiltered muddy in appearance, but I like this because I prefer beers that I can see and smell.. best served for me at 58 deg. F. - lower temps from the store at 40 deg. shows no head and this is a different tasting beer at colder temps.

Smell: caramel, toasty smoked piney nuts.

Taste: a very smooth malty beer with some very subtle hop flavors, chocolate sweet roasted nut tones, and Vermont maple syrup (maybe?). this is not hop happy for the info of us hoppers. the 7.4 ABV is underlying. I do not taste any fruity overtones.

Mouth Feel: good feel for a quality medium bodied brown ale. correct temp. to desired level, will change the character and taste of this beer. suggest slightly warmer at 58 deg. F. at correct temp. the head shows a nice creamy appearance with good lacing.

Overall: this is a very drinkable smooth malty sweet brown/red ale. I look forward to the colder days when this beer will taste even better - aka Vermont. - by the way, I use a fluted wine glass to drink all my high quality beers like this one.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last