Busch Signature Copper Lager

From:
Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
View: Beers
Reviews: 82 | Ratings: 235 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by davesfolly:
3.61/5  rDev +15.3%

Well well well you never can tell! Found this at the Food Lion here in Denver of the East. Couldn't resist because I am fairly broke and can't spend $9 for a six pack of what will eventually become piss anyway.
Just kidding I Love me some Chimay but I have a Milwaukee's Best Budget. Yuck.

Anyway this is a pretty good beer. Again if you prize One Off Carrot on a Stick you may turn your nose up at this one.

I give AB an up-vote for this one. Nice summer lager for cheap. A little on the sweet side but tastes good. Almost %6 too!
Smells like American beer from the 1970's. Tastes much better. A tiny bit of hops, some caramel... Oh what the hell do I know about tasting tobacco or cucumbers in beer? Nothing really. I just know what I like.

If you don't have the Jack to get a $35 growler of Super Duper Ultra Bitter. Then try this or PBR.

There I said it. Comparing The Vaulted PBR to an AB product. Damn near Blasphemy I tell you.

Got to the store and get a 12 of this for $2 less than a sixer of Better Beer. I like it. You don't have too.

Let me say, that my ratings are based on what it is. This is not a 'craft beer'. This is a grocery getter walmart finder American lager in the cheap economy section as far as beers. Or at least- I hope it leads to that. It is harder to find, though its fairly 'new'.

I enjoy good beer. I enjoy craft beers, micro brews, my brews, my friends brews. But at the end of the day, who can afford to drink specialty beers 100% of the time? Very few. My go-to, cheap in abundance beer has been Busch, for no particular reason other than nostalgia.

I could replace my regular Busch with this hands down. IF this becomes a regular, I will so indeed. There's nothing wrong with cheap American Lagers that are bred for cost savings and bulk. And when you can't enjoy a hearty specialty beer, this is the option for you.

Is it magical? No. Is it the best tasting beer in the world? No. Does the color, smell and pouring-laced glass head give you something to respect? No. But it is what it is! A generic run-of-the-mill American Lager that gives you SOME form of 'specialty beer' ideology while costing the same as that 30 pack of Bud you picked up on sale for $19.99 at a gas station before you're next bonfire.

It HAS smell, it HAS taste, it HAS color!

That's my rating. I'm no beer snob. I'm not a taster. I'm an average guy, who's more into beers than the next average guy.

4.1/5  rDev +31%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The thing about this beer is, it's a one trick pony. It's not a brilliant craft lager, but it's the first time I feel Budweiser has produced a lager that's actually worth my time and money. It's tasty, affordable, and there's truly nothing offensive about it. Plus, that 5.7% is a lot more suitable to a craft beer veteran than a Yuengling Amber clocking in at 4.4%. Honestly, in my book it's like a better Yuengling. If you enjoy some cheaper lagers from time to time, or are already a fan of Yuengling Amber, you owe yourself to try this. I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed it. I plan to smash about twelve of these with a buddy tonight.

1.84/5  rDev -41.2%

25 ounce cans, that bring this WV boy some nostalgia competing with fellow high school friends to who can finish their 30 pack of Busch first (tag team edition of course)...that will hurt you the next day...my digestive tract has never been right since. It has that amber caramel coloring added with a fizzy off white head, just barely has specks of lacing holding on. Busch Signature Copper Lager...I'm sniffing on it trying to get a feel before I attack. What the hell is this, it's an upper class lager for the Busch crowd, I think that's an oxymoron. It smells like a Michelob Amber Bock, just barely more malt presence than your average BMC product, a bit of caramelized sugar notes noticeable no real hop profile to speak of. Horrible flavor almost a caramelized nutty character that hits with a cooked veggie adjunct sweetness, almost like vomit coming up in the back of the gullet hard to stomach each sip...wonderfully horrible. It's cloying the mouthfeel is pretty overcarbonated completely off putting in every sense of the word beer. I can't go on, not even a beer I would ever think of buying again, it's approachable for someone who wants a copper colored lager with food coloring but the label states "proudly brewed with grains from America's heartland and toasted malt for a smooth , signature taste. Alcohol 5.7% abv higher than the BMC crowd is used packed into 25 ounce cans for next to nothing...they're going to love it.

I find this to be a nice lawnmower type beer with a little more character than some.

It has some toasty malt characteristics and the aroma and taste and finishes with a nice toasty sweetness.

Drinks easy and smooth. Kind of a hybrid AAL/Killians Red type of beer.

I've used this to boil brats in and it works great for that. Would be a decent tailgate beer for someone who wants something uncomplicated but with a little more flavor than a keystone light.

Certainly not a great beer but it has its place. Price seemed on the cheaper side. I'll be curious to see if this is still being made a year from now. My hunch is it won't.

1.76/5  rDev -43.8%

"Born on" 09FEB14, so this is pretty fresh.

Pours a clear brownish copper color about a 1/2" of foam that recedes quickly after the first sip. Broken scabby skim on the surface.

Smells like stewed grain silage. Rotting vegetation. Mmm.

Weird taste, hard to put a finger on, but it doesn't taste like toasted malt. Grain husks and odd vegetal notes. Overly carbonated and gaseous, thin watery feel with a flabby middle. Astringent and hollow. This is no better than any other cheap swill out there. Are people really rating this compared to Busch Light?

When I rinsed out the can with hot water for recycling, it smelled like burning plastic...

3.48/5  rDev +11.2%

From 12 oz bottle into pilsner glass.

Appearance: 1"+ off white head drops rapidly with no lacing. Color is clear amber with mild streaming carbonation.

Aroma: very mild, just some toasted barley, caramel, and clean water.

Mouthfeel: light, crisp and frothy with a dry finish.

Flavor: caramel, toasted barley, a bit of licorice(?) and a very mild hop presence.

Overall: pleasant and easy to drink.

4.06/5  rDev +29.7%

Busch Signature Copper is not your average Busch Beer. This is a a lot darker in color. This brew pours out a rich, deep amber color with a nice white head. Not a light amber as other Busch Beers. Being 5.7 abv witch is high than Busch being 4.6% ABV and Busch Ice at 5.9%. The smell is rich with grins and malts. The taste is bold with flavor. The mouth feel is nice and clean. This brew has a lot going on in it, there is nothing overpowering in this brew. This is one Busch Beer that I would write home about. Great Brew for the Money. I would buy this brew again. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4.5 out 5.

2.53/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Bought a 12-pack for $5.99, hoping for the best. After having two of them, I decided they weren't going to get any better.

A=Well, a nice caramel color with eggshell head...it LOOKS like a good beer.

S=Hint of caramel and apples and biscuits...it sort of SMELLS like it might be a good beer.

T=Right out of the fridge, it tastes like flat cola...only watered down. Maybe with a splash of apple juice. Thankfully, the bad taste was so mild and unnoticeable. I had hoped that this would be close to Miller's Third Shift...not even close. Third Shift is a much, much tastier beer than this.

M=Extremely watery. Extremely. A-B needs to cut about half the water out of the brewing process.

O=This might have been considered a breakthrough beer by a big brewery 30 years ago (hell, I think even Killian's is better), but not today. There is no need for this beer in the marketplace. I like Busch as AAL's go, but this doesn't even live up to the Busch name. It does not taste awful...well, what little taste there is is akin to flat cola. Will not buy nor drink this again.

3.28/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours translucent in the body and a mostly brown, slightly red, rusty amber in color. Small, 1 finger head forms and is down to just a little bit on the surface of the beer. Very little lacing.

S- Light, slightly sweet, and very grainy is the best way to describe this beer's smell. Really smells just like regular Busch with a touch of darker malt. The darker malt is detectable with a slight balancing note to the sweetness of the corn and grains. Overall, the scent is fairly faint and sweet, like regular Busch, but somewhat balanced by the addition of a darker malt.

T- Starts and finishes with light grain flavors, primarily corn. Flavor is light and thirst quenching, with just a touch of sweetness. Not as sweet as Busch or Busch Light, but definitely in the same flavor profile as far as the grainy flavor goes. In the middle of the drink, the darker malts cut the sweetness and provide a slight dull bitterness that lasts until the end of the drink.

M- Classic lager feel here. This beer is light on the tongue, thirst quenching, and crisp at the end. Easy to drink and more flavor than the light version.

Overall, this is surprisingly similar to Budweiser. Darker malt flavors, along with the light, crisp, easy drinking qualities of a light beer. I know it's not a world class beer, but when you combine the fact that this beer is sold at Busch prices, is 5.7% ABV, and has just a touch of darker flavors, it's a winning combo.

2.67/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

25 fl oz aluminum can purchased at a 7-11 petrol station in Lubbock, TX and served at fridge temp into a paper cup in my hotel room (which I'd argue is apt). 5.70% ABV. Born 06AUG14. Side-poured gently as overcarbonation is anticipated.

HEAD: White and foamy. Fluffy. Fairly soft-looking. Decent thickness. 3+ minute retention. No lacing.

BODY: N/A (not visible).

AROMA: Helles malts, floral hop notes, and dirty stale barley. An inoffensive aroma of light strength.

No yeast character, alcohol, off-notes, or spices are detectable.

TASTE: Helles malts. Pils malts. Barley. Feels stale and cheap throughout.

Shallow depth of flavour. Average intensity and duration of flavour. Poor flavour amplitude.

Lacks balance. No yeast character, alcohol, or off-notes come through. Not a gestalt or very cohesive build. There's really nothing going on here, but to its credit, it's not watery. Too sweet.­­­

TEXTURE: Smooth, wet, light-bodied, and slightly refreshing. Overcarbonated. Crisp. Too thick and hefty on the palate given the lack of deep and diverse flavours.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, rough, or scratchy.

OVERALL: A drinkable lager with some enjoyable characteristics. In its defense, unlike many shitty beers in the style, it isn't watery. And it could be blander. Ultimately, I reckon it's on the low side of average. I wouldn't trifle with it again, but I'll quaff the whole can without much issue. We've all had worse.

C- (2.67)

2.98/5  rDev -4.8%

25oz can poured into "Old Style" glass able to hold it all. From the Bud website, "Smooth, full-bodied copper lager that offers bold flavor
without sacrificing affordability. Features a sweet aroma,
signature smooth taste, clean finish and distinctive copper
color". I'm afraid this one may have a bit of age on it with a date on bottom of can of "23JAN14"
So, here we go. Definitely a red lager with a red/gold hue and a tannish head which seems to fizzle it's way out of existence pretty darn quickly. Hard to pick up much of the advertised sweetness in the aroma, but I guess it's there in time. Initially pretty much a lager character with slight sulfur and zesty carbonation hitting the nose.
Certainly a little more flavor, but not a lot. A bit of malt character and a touch of sweetness that may grow old as I work through this. The can notes some toasted flavor and I get some of that too. Dries out quiet a bit and leaves the dryness hanging for a long while. Takes on some caramel sweetness as it warms.
Full, full and more full from carbonation. It fills the whole mouth and makes it hard to take a big hard pull on it. It stimulates the tongue though. I'm getting full quickly.
This is okay. I think I might like it better if it was warmer out and I was more thirsty as it falls closest to a lawnmower beer.

2.84/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

pours out of the 16 oz. can a deep amber colour with a rather robust foamy head. reduces to sparse lace. malt and adjunct aroma with sugary undertones. taste wise, it brings some toasty malt notes, and supporting adjunct. heavy carbonation makes it seem dense and meaty for a lager. a bit of straight up, no nonsense bitterness rounds things out. souped up body and dense mouthfeel. while intriguing and with character, not really too drinkable.

overall this seems like an amber bock on steroids. a beefy, cool weather lager. it's pretty flawless but also sort of dull. never was a fan of A-B's malt liqour lineup, but this is ok.

3.23/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

25oz can boasting 5.7%abv. Pours out to a one inch head that laces initially then falls to permanent 1/8" layer. Color is a brownish copper. Aroma is sweet and adjuncty and sulfury. Flavor is clean, easy and a little on the sweet side. The toasted malt is faint but noticeable and welcome. Mouthfeel is light and slightly astringent. Overall it is the first product with the Busch label that I consider a "good call." Best beer for its price class, too.

3.12/5  rDev -0.3%

Appearance: Clear, deep amber red with a large, almost massive dense off-white head, which retains quite well. The carbonation is profuse, fine, and fast-rising. The lacing is thick and glass-coating.

Aroma: Dark toasted malt dominates the aroma, nothing like, say a well-made craft beer, but substantial for a macro lager. There are some biscuit notes as well, a whiff of alcohol, and faint herbal hops.

Taste: Opens with toasted malts, and a bit of warming alcohol. As the taste progresses, there are some corn and vegetable flavors. Late in the taste, some moderate herbal and grassy hops appear, these carry the taste to a balanced close.

Mouth feel: Fairly smooth with a bit of stinging carbonation, a bit thin.

Drinkability/notes: I suspect this is intended as a competitor to Miller Fortune, which is a far and away better beer, in my opinion. For confirmed macro drinkers, this is probably "a walk on the wild side". Still, its cheap and available, and is far and away better than Busch, and most especially, Budweiser.

Presentation: Packaged in a sixteen ounce aluminum can, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

3.4/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This was about the best choice of the Exxon station I stopped at while heading back to my hotel in Grapevine, TX.

Poured into a glass, the beer is copper with a large but quickly collapsing beige head.

It has an aroma of grains and a bit of apple.

The taste is slightly sweet with grainy and grass notes. There is a bit of caramel and a bit of floral based bitterness. It has no off or odd tastes. It would be pretty easy to match with non-spicy foods.

The mouth is medium with active carbonation.

This was a pleasant surprise and priced well to boot!

3.1/5  rDev -1%

One fine Christmas morn, I was working at a shitty little gas station. We were horrible busy since every other store was run by decent people who gave their employees the day off. But everyone was in high spirits--cheer and all that.

A man who was usually very surly came in around noon, sloshed off his ass and wearing a Santa cap. He cut the line and slammed a sixer of Busch down on the counter.

"You know what Busch stands for?" He asked, his voice all full of timbre. He was performing a bit so as to avoid getting in trouble for cutting the line.

"What?"

"Brewed Under Six Clydesdale Horses. Cus when you drink Bud, this is what you pee out!"

The crowd was mildly amused. I was amused enough to remember it 14 years later, when I noticed that AB had finally expanded Busch's product line. It's been over a decade since I last tried a Busch. When I was younger, I agreed with the drunken Santa-man--Busch tasted cheap, like they spent less money making it. Now I realize that's untrue, they only spend less money in marketing it. But still, the way the beer tastes reminds me of poverty, because empty semiotics affect my perceptions much more strongly than logic ever could.

So up front you got a really decent amber malt profile, and that gives way to a graininess that's distinct to Busch and that's objectively not bad, only it tastes like Busch and I dumbly associate that with a lack of quality. Medium bodied and very easy drinking, even in spite of my stupid prejudices.

3.19/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Picked up a 25 oz can at Lowes Foods. Handsome reddish amber color with orange highlights. Head shows solid resiliancy for a few minutes at least. Nose is caramel malt and sprobably some sugary adjuncts. Call it a guess.

Broad, refreshing character in the taste, with mellow malt flavors and just a hint of hops. Texture could be tightened a touch but for the style holds 5.7% with surprising ease.

This is an inexpensiive option when you just feel like having a basic lager.

3.08/5  rDev -1.6%

I like to think that I'm pretty open minded. This could have been OK, in my mind. And it is. OK. Not very good, OK. Judging it as and American Amber is a huge handicap - it would fare better against a lesser category.

It pours with lots of medium sized bubbles and a decent head. It's kind of brown for the style and thus not outstanding in any way. The aroma is a clean, malty, slightly roasty smell. Not at all unappealing but not very pungent.

The taste is sweet and malty. No hops profile and just the faintest bitter aftertaste. It's clean tasting but pretty sweet. Kind of reminds me of Michelob.

These were $2.88 for a 12 pack of 12 oz bottles after rebate. How could I refuse? Life is too short to drink this kind of beer, though. Don't drink this unless you are similarly getting it almost free.

3.59/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16 oz can purs a crystal clear copper color with a very nice, dense and foamy off-white head. Retention and lace are surprisingly good. AB finally got an appealing looking brew at least.

Nose is not really all that different from Busch original. Adjunct corn/rice with maybe a hint of toasted malt and a minimal whiff of leafy hops. Not all terrible, but not something I want to stick my nose in repeatedly.

Taste has a little more toasted malt than regular Busch but other than that, I really dont get much else that differs. I like Busch for an AAL, and will reach for one at the ice trough on a hot day at the gas station over any other bargain beers. This is a fine addition to the lineup and with a 5.7% ABV tag, Im game. I have trouble rating this, as an Amber Lager, this isnt all that good compared to the craftier versions, but as an Adjunct Lager (priced as one), it kicks a fair amount of ass. Im fairly impressed.

2.48/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured out a clear, copper/amber color with a one-finger, white head of foam. It smelled of sweet malt with touch of grassy hops. It had a sweet malty flavor with a grassy hop bitterness. It was crisp, sharp and smooth.

Busch Signature Copper Lager from Anheuser-Busch