Busch Signature Copper Lager | Anheuser-Busch

anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by boilermakerbrew on 01-30-2014

Reviews: 77 | Ratings: 224

Just saw this at Walmart last week and thought I'd take a chance. We LOVE it! I'm not really into the dark or flavored beers and hubby hates them. This is what we're drinking now and are looking fora place that sells it by the case!

Let me say, that my ratings are based on what it is. This is not a 'craft beer'. This is a grocery getter walmart finder American lager in the cheap economy section as far as beers. Or at least- I hope it leads to that. It is harder to find, though its fairly 'new'.

I enjoy good beer. I enjoy craft beers, micro brews, my brews, my friends brews. But at the end of the day, who can afford to drink specialty beers 100% of the time? Very few. My go-to, cheap in abundance beer has been Busch, for no particular reason other than nostalgia.

I could replace my regular Busch with this hands down. IF this becomes a regular, I will so indeed. There's nothing wrong with cheap American Lagers that are bred for cost savings and bulk. And when you can't enjoy a hearty specialty beer, this is the option for you.

Is it magical? No. Is it the best tasting beer in the world? No. Does the color, smell and pouring-laced glass head give you something to respect? No. But it is what it is! A generic run-of-the-mill American Lager that gives you SOME form of 'specialty beer' ideology while costing the same as that 30 pack of Bud you picked up on sale for $19.99 at a gas station before you're next bonfire.

It HAS smell, it HAS taste, it HAS color!

That's my rating. I'm no beer snob. I'm not a taster. I'm an average guy, who's more into beers than the next average guy.

4.77/5  rDev +53.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm a new guy to the taste testing; most of the double bocks and stouts taste like burnt coffee to me; the IPA's are way too bitter. I've found some wheat ales that are pretty good and Weihenstephaner's Vitus bock beer is pretty good. I'm surprised to find that I really like Shiner bock, though it's just a wee bit on the watered down side at 4.6 ABV?
The Busch Copper Lager tastes similar to Shiner Bock but with a little more body and a wee bit more ABV.
So, bottom line I love it; but still looking.

4.71/5  rDev +51.4%

This beer is pretty good. It's $5.99 for a six pack of tall boys, which are 5.7% alcohol each. That beats Bud Ice (5.5), High Life and PBR (5%), and regular Busch ( also 5%) which all also cost $5.99.

Comes in a gold can with some cursive on it, with one of those plastic things holding them together that you gotta cut up before you can throw away. Looks nice, kinda shiny. Keeps beer cold ish, proudly proclaims 16 fluid ounces at the top.

Tastes like beer, but its that extra 0.7% that really hammers home the fantastic value here, I can get absolutely hammered on six of these where a six pack of pabst is just kind of leaving me hanging.

If you just buy one, you can get it in 25oz which is handy sometimes, comes with a brown paper bag, one of those will get you a pretty good buzz goin' 'cause you have to drink it quickly before your hand makes the bottom quarter of the beer warm.

This is one of my go-to beers for sure. Can't beat it.

4.1/5  rDev +31.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The thing about this beer is, it's a one trick pony. It's not a brilliant craft lager, but it's the first time I feel Budweiser has produced a lager that's actually worth my time and money. It's tasty, affordable, and there's truly nothing offensive about it. Plus, that 5.7% is a lot more suitable to a craft beer veteran than a Yuengling Amber clocking in at 4.4%. Honestly, in my book it's like a better Yuengling. If you enjoy some cheaper lagers from time to time, or are already a fan of Yuengling Amber, you owe yourself to try this. I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed it. I plan to smash about twelve of these with a buddy tonight.

4.06/5  rDev +30.5%

Busch Signature Copper is not your average Busch Beer. This is a a lot darker in color. This brew pours out a rich, deep amber color with a nice white head. Not a light amber as other Busch Beers. Being 5.7 abv witch is high than Busch being 4.6% ABV and Busch Ice at 5.9%. The smell is rich with grins and malts. The taste is bold with flavor. The mouth feel is nice and clean. This brew has a lot going on in it, there is nothing overpowering in this brew. This is one Busch Beer that I would write home about. Great Brew for the Money. I would buy this brew again. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4.5 out 5.

Sampling right on 2/28/14. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a pretty reddish-copper in color with a 1-finger slightly off-white foamy head that settles down to just the top and sides. Some lacing is seen which each sip. The aroma is of sweet corn, grain and caramel malts. The taste is the same with the caramel malts coming out for the finish. Perfect carbonation and goes down easy. No harsh or bitter finish at all. Is this a 'Bud' product???

3.79/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bought a 25 oz. can one more time just to see if I was mistaken the first time. Nope. This beer is a real class act. Don't be fooled by the word "Busch" on the label. This is a totally different and thoroughly enjoyable AB animal altogether.

A - Dark tea, head disappears quickly, minimal lacing

S - Corn, malt, roasted grains

T - Sweet corn, malt, roasted grains, and hops

M - light

O - One of the best adjunct beers I've had in many a moon. Most beers get worse the longer they sit. This one gets a little sweeter. Nice. Great beer for the price. AB finally gets one right.

3.77/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I know for a fact that A/B nailed it when they made this. Its exactly what it says on the can. Its a awesome brew, great great copper color, rich aroma and a smooth taste going down. And for $1.10 cents a can/25 ounce, I can pretty much step out on the limb and say it will hang with the more expensive darker amber brews.

3.76/5  rDev +20.9%

For $8.99 a 12 pack in the bottle at 5.7% ABV with a nice finish ... pretty good brew and better than many microbrews/craft beer on the market. It and Michelob Amberbock have a lot of similarities, even some of my high hop bitter grapefruit aftertaste enjoying friends were enjoying this one.

3.68/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Solid beer, I was able to try this. Obviously my expectations weren't extraordinarily high but I was real pleased. None of that nasty aftertaste that you find with most beers (Busch included) at this price point. For a low profile roll-out, I find this to be MUCH better than the Black Crown or Miller Fortune or those similar amber styled beers. Its actually kind of funny. Leave it to the Busch brand to make the actually "good" beer. Definitely an A+ on the Bang For Your Buck matrix

3.61/5  rDev +16.1%

Well well well you never can tell! Found this at the Food Lion here in Denver of the East. Couldn't resist because I am fairly broke and can't spend $9 for a six pack of what will eventually become piss anyway.
Just kidding I Love me some Chimay but I have a Milwaukee's Best Budget. Yuck.

Anyway this is a pretty good beer. Again if you prize One Off Carrot on a Stick you may turn your nose up at this one.

I give AB an up-vote for this one. Nice summer lager for cheap. A little on the sweet side but tastes good. Almost %6 too!
Smells like American beer from the 1970's. Tastes much better. A tiny bit of hops, some caramel... Oh what the hell do I know about tasting tobacco or cucumbers in beer? Nothing really. I just know what I like.

If you don't have the Jack to get a $35 growler of Super Duper Ultra Bitter. Then try this or PBR.

There I said it. Comparing The Vaulted PBR to an AB product. Damn near Blasphemy I tell you.

Got to the store and get a 12 of this for $2 less than a sixer of Better Beer. I like it. You don't have too.

3.6/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

16 oz can into a pint mug. What a find! But seriously. For the price, this might be the best beer out there. I don't have a lot of money, so I can't drink high-end craft 365 days/year. This is a definite step above all of the other crap and a slight bit better than PBR which was my previous cheap go-to crap. It has possibly been replaced. If I could rate this for value I'd rate it 4.75/5. It is like a cheaper, watered down SA Boston Lager. Very inoffensive and accessible.

3.59/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16 oz can purs a crystal clear copper color with a very nice, dense and foamy off-white head. Retention and lace are surprisingly good. AB finally got an appealing looking brew at least.

Nose is not really all that different from Busch original. Adjunct corn/rice with maybe a hint of toasted malt and a minimal whiff of leafy hops. Not all terrible, but not something I want to stick my nose in repeatedly.

Taste has a little more toasted malt than regular Busch but other than that, I really dont get much else that differs. I like Busch for an AAL, and will reach for one at the ice trough on a hot day at the gas station over any other bargain beers. This is a fine addition to the lineup and with a 5.7% ABV tag, Im game. I have trouble rating this, as an Amber Lager, this isnt all that good compared to the craftier versions, but as an Adjunct Lager (priced as one), it kicks a fair amount of ass. Im fairly impressed.

3.56/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I confess. I recently bought a riding lawn mower and lawn mower beers have lost some of their appeal :( But the good news is this is a beer with enough body and taste to make me take note (after acknowledging its relatively low cost) Not one I will be having with the guys at a tasting but a solid beer for household chores and what not.

3.54/5  rDev +13.8%

Big surprise here. I had been looking for something between a mild IPA and a cheep lager. This is it.
darker in colet than expected and the taste was light enough to refresh but strong enough to tire my taste buds. Poured into a 16 oz mixing glass from a can. 4.99 for a six pack and more alcohol than most cheap american lagers. tastes better than budweiser, miller and the value menu brews. looks like a beer instead of light straw stained water. good job with this one.

room temp tastes bland but cold its really good.

3.52/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A- Inch tall white, fizzy head...fizzes down to a quarter inch and retains a cap and collar throughout. Body color is about as copper as you can get. Clumpy lacing is apparent.

S- Corn, bread/biscuit, caramel malts. Hints of a cola-like sweetness.

T- Slight caramel taste blends in with corn sweetness near flawlessly. Damn smooth, no harshness like you would find in most "higher ABV" macros. Would guess 5%abv.

M- Carbonation stays on the lower end until later on in each sip where it "catches up" to closer to what you would expect. Medium to medium-thin mouthfeel.

D/O- Taken for what it is, classified as an "American Amber/Red Lager", Busch Signature really blew away my expectations. I thought ABInBev was going out on a limb by dramatically upping the SRM color for one of it's flagship brands but this is a pleasant surprise and one that both I can see myself drinking in the future and one that will stick around and not be a "flash-in-the-pan".

3.5/5  rDev +12.5%

This beer is ok for an American macro lager on the cheep. I got a 25oz can for $2. It's actually better than I thought and I would actually buy this again if I was looking for extremely cheap beer

3.48/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I originally bought this beer in a bottled 6-pack because of the label. It looked pretty and nostalgic I guess. Well I really liked it, so I bought a 25oz can from the store tonight after work to do this review.
Look- The best feature of this beer. It pours with a nice thick head that lingers. The beer itself is a very nice almond color that looks like copper, hence the name I guess. Looks like a lighter colored soda pop.
Smell- It smells like a normal American lager. The beer smells of malt upfront with hints of corn and almonds.
Taste- The beer tastes the way it smells, lots of grain. Watered down corn and Maltiness seem to jump out at me. It's got a smooth and very sweet aftertaste. Nothing really jumps out at you as an overpowering flavor though, just bits and pieces.
Feel-The beer goes down very easy and smooth like a normal lager. It is easy Drinking with nothing overpowering.
Overall- This is a beer is not that bad. Even a stingy beer drinker should try this. It's not that bad, but it is a little plain.

3.48/5  rDev +11.9%

From 12 oz bottle into pilsner glass.

Appearance: 1"+ off white head drops rapidly with no lacing. Color is clear amber with mild streaming carbonation.

Aroma: very mild, just some toasted barley, caramel, and clean water.

Mouthfeel: light, crisp and frothy with a dry finish.

Flavor: caramel, toasted barley, a bit of licorice(?) and a very mild hop presence.

Overall: pleasant and easy to drink.

3.46/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

New beer in my area. From a 16 oz can.
Clear dark amber or light brown with two fingers of white head that lasts about five minutes. Some lacing as the head and liquid recedes. Smell is faint grains no bad odors.
Taste is lightly sweet malts some bread crust and just enough bitterness and the end of the swallow to provide some balance.
Mouthfeel is light to medium with the usual carbonation level. Crisp and clean with just a hint of syrup in the finish. Overall an excellent alternative to most macro lagers. Good price point as well (so far). Not craft level but more in the crafty style. Reminds me of AB Black Crown.

3.45/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a pilsner glass

A - It is damn near copper in color. I would call it more of a burnt orange, but as the great Dalton said in the classic movie Roadhouse "Opinions vary." It is capped with an inch of off-white head. A constant flow of bubbles rise from nucleation sites etched into the bottom of the glass.

S - It has a cooked corn and caramel malt thing going on.

T - I taste a little toasted caramel. It doesn't have the corn taste that Busch has. It finishes dry.

M - Moderate

O - It is a pleasant surprise. It has some decent flavor, and I'm a homer for Busch. Hey, my mom named me buschbeer, so I have some sentimentality for it.

3.43/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Busch Signature Copper Lager has a thick, foamy, egg shell-colored head, a clear, somewhat bubbly, copper appearance, and a decent amount of lacing sheen left behind. The aroma is of faint sweetness and a typical American-style lager note. Taste is of sweet, toasted malt, brown bread crust, and only the slightest hop bitterness to round it out. No alcohol pickup with this. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Busch Signature Copper Lager finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and highly drinkable. For a value-priced beer, they did a good job with it.

RJT

3.41/5  rDev +9.6%

Sorry beer snobs, but this one aint bad.

Right outta the bottle :)

Sure it's from the folks at Bud and it doesn't have the cute 'craft' name (gimmicky?) or the art on the packaging that most beer kiddies seem to fall in love with but a nice beer.

Taste - not bad, goes down easy with mild adjunct aftertaste. No real head, and color is great, but I can't drink color so no big deal..

3.4/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This was about the best choice of the Exxon station I stopped at while heading back to my hotel in Grapevine, TX.

Poured into a glass, the beer is copper with a large but quickly collapsing beige head.

It has an aroma of grains and a bit of apple.

The taste is slightly sweet with grainy and grass notes. There is a bit of caramel and a bit of floral based bitterness. It has no off or odd tastes. It would be pretty easy to match with non-spicy foods.

The mouth is medium with active carbonation.

This was a pleasant surprise and priced well to boot!

Busch Signature Copper Lager from Anheuser-Busch