Shock Top Honey Bourbon Cask Wheat

Mar 05, 2014
SCORE
Awful
Shock Top Honey Bourbon Cask WheatShock Top Honey Bourbon Cask Wheat
Notes: This Belgian-Style unfiltered wheat ale is brewed with honey, caramel malt, and aged on bourbon cask staves for the perfect balance of flavor and refreshment all year round.
View: More Beers
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.

2.75 by MJSFS from Florida on Dec 07, 2019

2.13 by cliff1066 from Virginia on Feb 07, 2017

2.5 by BrewskiBrandon from Missouri on Oct 15, 2016
2.1/5  rDev -6.7%
by Pegasus from Texas

Appearance: Dark golden in color, with a bit of haze. A small, fine-beaded head soon fades to a dusting of foam on the surface, A thin, unbroken ring circles the glass wall. There is some suspended sediment, unusual in an Anheuser-Busch product.

Aroma: A massive wave of honey and vanilla presents, seeming almost overpowering. The effect is somewhat like that of a potpourri. When this passes, there is a fairly strong bourbon note, and some hints of wood. In all, the aroma is strange, not one I would associate with beer.

Taste: The taste begins with strong notes of honey and bourbon. As the taste progresses, conventional malt flavors appear, offering a white bread note. There is also an odd orange note in the middle of the taste, sort of like an orange Jolly Rancher hard candy; this mercifully passes. Finishes with a lingering honey and bourbon flavor that rolls on and on.

Mouth feel: Smooth and full with low, soft carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: Different is the best way I can describe this, a bit too strange for my taste, it seems too far removed from my idea of beer. Thankfully, I only have one bottle of this.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce brown glass long-neck bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

Sep 05, 2016

1.5 by Jeremiah_Nelson from California on Aug 21, 2016

2.43 by jbf190 from West Virginia on Jul 23, 2016

1.55 by StoutAtTheDevil from Alabama on Apr 04, 2016

2.84 by Florida_Hop_Head from Florida on Mar 04, 2016
3.03/5  rDev +34.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3
by woodychandler from Pennsylvania

Just as he is pulling beers out of the box that I gave him just as he headed southward for the winter, I am continuing to drink through all of the bottles that my local, in-person trader, tone77, dropped off for me. Amongst my Bottle Backlog, how do I know that this is one of his & not some single that I picked up along the way? I will drink anything, but the only time that my money & I part ways for Shock Top is a) if I am at a bar & it is the only new option or b) it is in a CAN. Neither applies here.

From the bottle: "Ale brewed with honey and spices, aged on bourbon cask staves, with natural flavor."

Being that it is a Wheat Ale/Witbier, it should exude a cloudiness, so inverted the unopened bottle just to ensure that everything was in suspension before its opening. Speaking of which, I am guessing that it is a screw-top bottle, which means no Pop!ping of the cap. Sure enough. Nothing holds my disdain like a screw-top bottle, so I retaliated with a heavy-handed pour, producing two fingers of fizzy, tawny head that quickly fizzled its way out of existence. Color was a cloudy Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13). Nose had a honey-vanilla quality along with a metallic twang. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but certainly highly carbonated. The taste was very sweet and mainly like vanilla ice cream, although I could get flavors of honey in there also. Finish was sweet, cloyingly so, like I was drinking dessert. I could perhaps see this as a dessert beer, but to just drink one on its own (like right now) would be too much for me. I'd be willing to revisit this if they put it in a CAN, but for now, one is plenty.

Feb 12, 2016

2.99 by WickedBeer from Alabama on Feb 07, 2016

2.25 by Iamjeff6 from Virginia on Dec 10, 2015
2.38/5  rDev +5.8%
by Mike_Aguirre from Mexico

This doesn´t taste as a witbier at all. Pours light amber with a very mild white foam head. Aroma is of wood and sweet malts. Taste is strange, medicine-like and some wood. I didn´t like this beer at all.

Nov 08, 2015

4.89 by Eden222 from Pennsylvania on Oct 15, 2015

1.5 by nuebs from South Dakota on Oct 05, 2015
2.55/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5
by Libeertarian from Montana

Well now. I'll be damned if this isn't an under-rated beer. It's far from my favorite. Not even close. I didn't like it the first time, probably because I wasn't in the mood for an oddball. It was tolerable (the next two times and now here I am reviewing it, shocked (pun intended) by the fact that I'll actually be on the opposite end of the bell curve from what I expected. This...this is just silly. I've seen trashy malt liquors rated higher than this! Ah, well. I've said my piece. To each his own — even if he lets his anti-macro bias get the best of him!

Very opaque for its lighter color. A nice dark amber color, not quite copper. Head is large at first but fizzes out quite quickly. Smells and tastes like a sauna (makes for a way better smell than taste, to be honest). Cedar, hot water, and sweat. Not unpleasant, but weird is the word. Okay, there's a decent amount of honey aroma in this as well. I know honey. This isn't fake. People are so used to their 'honey' notes in a beer that they begin to think that's the real thing. Oh darn, and you thought I was done pontificating? To the taste, I'll admit it's nothing special. Would arguably be better if it was sweeter. So to those who say "it's too sweet" — posh! It simply lacks balance. Seems a standard witbier at first, then the 'honey bourbon' that Shock Top was aiming for kicks in. All too briefly. What really ruins this beer is not the flavor, but how quickly the flavor all but disappears from the palate, before you've even swallowed, and becomes something more rancid. Maybe this has to do with how sudsy the carbonation is (extremely sudsy). It's mildly tart and "woody" throughout and the honey flavor does at least return in the finish. Light body, dry finish. With each passing second it seems to get thinner. I'd prefer a cold macro adjunct to this honestly, but I won't go to absurd lengths to demonize it. Only to defend it, whether it truly merits that or not.

Oct 05, 2015
2.88/5  rDev +28%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75
by hoptheology from South Dakota

Served in a flute glass

Appearance : Hazy apricot peach glow, 90% opaque. Lots of effervescent carbonation spiraling up to meet the head - which is initially 3 fingers but recedes to a small ring of bubbles after a minute or so.

Smell : Quite a lot of adjunct, namely honey, herb, medicine, and ginger. It's a lot like outdated cough syrup. No malt, no hops.

Taste : A smidge better than the smell, starting off with white wheat, followed by a dose of honey and a pinch of herb. Faint lemon wedge as well. There's still a sappy medicinal quality to it though, and ultimately this should have been left as simply a beta tester. This should not be on shelves.

Feel : Highly carbonated, which helps boost the drinkability 500%. If this were undercarbonated, I'd probably throw it up. It ends crisp and tight.

Overall : This is the beer you give to your enemies. It's the trojan horse of the craft beer world. It looks intriguing, but inside is an army of hellish proportions. Drain pour worthy, especially after the first half of the bottle is gone. A great beer for target practice.

Oct 04, 2015

1.81 by bigleague from Michigan on Sep 26, 2015
4.77/5  rDev +112%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75
by kingalexthegreat from Washington

People are just jealous. It's better than their own brew. It tastes, looks, smells, and feels like the title suggests it should. Honey Bourbon Cask Wheat Ale. The "fake honey" flavor these idiot jealous reviewers made were actually tasting a natural flavor. They are idiots.

Sep 15, 2015

2.84 by JordanHageman from Missouri on Sep 12, 2015
1.26/5  rDev -44%
by phizzle from Illinois

This tastes like fake honey and bourbon flavoring, not aged on casks. Personally, the combination of the two tastes like vomit. Total drain pour. I wouldn't waste your money.

Sep 05, 2015

3.3 by joem379 from Illinois on Aug 28, 2015

2.81 by Volsdawg10 from Mississippi on Aug 26, 2015

2.05 by rw1992 from North Carolina on Aug 12, 2015

1.68 by readyforthenet from New York on Aug 08, 2015

1 by jpuetz from South Dakota on Aug 06, 2015
by MzKitty421

The biggest thing I noticed was a strong fake honey flavor. Honey is a fermentable sugar, so capturing its flavor is hard. Overall I was unimpressed, which is too bad because I had high hopes for it.

Jul 20, 2015

1.05/5  rDev -53.3%
by Kitesurferdude from Florida

Worst. Beer. Ever. It is absolutely terrible. Like carbonated honey cough syrup mixed with turpentine

Jun 20, 2015
1.66/5  rDev -26.2%
by AdoptedYooper55 from Michigan

This beer was horrible. It went down ok but horrible aftertaste. I'm glad I bought just one bottle.

Jun 08, 2015
3.33/5  rDev +48%
by JoLight from Georgia

Appearance: white, frothy head that dissipates into nothing. Unfiltered, brownish body.

Aroma: smells like honey and maybe some toffee candy.

Taste: Tastes very sugary sweet, with honey and brown sugar on the backbone. I detect no bourbon. Tastes very little like beer, but it does taste good.

Overall, It's good for what it is, but it's too little like beer. It feels disingenuous.

Jun 02, 2015

2.28 by TheMarsBear from Florida on May 22, 2015

2 by MisterKilderkin from California on May 18, 2015
1.36/5  rDev -39.6%
by highstrung from Virginia

The artificial honey flavor tastes like a decorative soap.

May 14, 2015