Shock Top Honey Bourbon Cask Wheat

From:
Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Awful
Shock Top Honey Bourbon Cask WheatShock Top Honey Bourbon Cask Wheat
Notes: This Belgian-Style unfiltered wheat ale is brewed with honey, caramel malt, and aged on bourbon cask staves for the perfect balance of flavor and refreshment all year round.
View: Beers
Reviews: 116 | Ratings: 504 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Pegasus from Texas

2.1/5  rDev -4.1%

Appearance: Dark golden in color, with a bit of haze. A small, fine-beaded head soon fades to a dusting of foam on the surface, A thin, unbroken ring circles the glass wall. There is some suspended sediment, unusual in an Anheuser-Busch product.

Aroma: A massive wave of honey and vanilla presents, seeming almost overpowering. The effect is somewhat like that of a potpourri. When this passes, there is a fairly strong bourbon note, and some hints of wood. In all, the aroma is strange, not one I would associate with beer.

Taste: The taste begins with strong notes of honey and bourbon. As the taste progresses, conventional malt flavors appear, offering a white bread note. There is also an odd orange note in the middle of the taste, sort of like an orange Jolly Rancher hard candy; this mercifully passes. Finishes with a lingering honey and bourbon flavor that rolls on and on.

Mouth feel: Smooth and full with low, soft carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: Different is the best way I can describe this, a bit too strange for my taste, it seems too far removed from my idea of beer. Thankfully, I only have one bottle of this.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce brown glass long-neck bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

Sep 05, 2016
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

3.03/5  rDev +38.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Just as he is pulling beers out of the box that I gave him just as he headed southward for the winter, I am continuing to drink through all of the bottles that my local, in-person trader, tone77, dropped off for me. Amongst my Bottle Backlog, how do I know that this is one of his & not some single that I picked up along the way? I will drink anything, but the only time that my money & I part ways for Shock Top is a) if I am at a bar & it is the only new option or b) it is in a CAN. Neither applies here.

From the bottle: "Ale brewed with honey and spices, aged on bourbon cask staves, with natural flavor."

Being that it is a Wheat Ale/Witbier, it should exude a cloudiness, so inverted the unopened bottle just to ensure that everything was in suspension before its opening. Speaking of which, I am guessing that it is a screw-top bottle, which means no Pop!ping of the cap. Sure enough. Nothing holds my disdain like a screw-top bottle, so I retaliated with a heavy-handed pour, producing two fingers of fizzy, tawny head that quickly fizzled its way out of existence. Color was a cloudy Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13). Nose had a honey-vanilla quality along with a metallic twang. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but certainly highly carbonated. The taste was very sweet and mainly like vanilla ice cream, although I could get flavors of honey in there also. Finish was sweet, cloyingly so, like I was drinking dessert. I could perhaps see this as a dessert beer, but to just drink one on its own (like right now) would be too much for me. I'd be willing to revisit this if they put it in a CAN, but for now, one is plenty.

Feb 12, 2016
Mike_Aguirre from Mexico

2.38/5  rDev +8.7%

This doesn´t taste as a witbier at all. Pours light amber with a very mild white foam head. Aroma is of wood and sweet malts. Taste is strange, medicine-like and some wood. I didn´t like this beer at all.

Nov 08, 2015
Libeertarian from Montana

2.55/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Well now. I'll be damned if this isn't an under-rated beer. It's far from my favorite. Not even close. I didn't like it the first time, probably because I wasn't in the mood for an oddball. It was tolerable (the next two times and now here I am reviewing it, shocked (pun intended) by the fact that I'll actually be on the opposite end of the bell curve from what I expected. This...this is just silly. I've seen trashy malt liquors rated higher than this! Ah, well. I've said my piece. To each his own — even if he lets his anti-macro bias get the best of him!

Very opaque for its lighter color. A nice dark amber color, not quite copper. Head is large at first but fizzes out quite quickly. Smells and tastes like a sauna (makes for a way better smell than taste, to be honest). Cedar, hot water, and sweat. Not unpleasant, but weird is the word. Okay, there's a decent amount of honey aroma in this as well. I know honey. This isn't fake. People are so used to their 'honey' notes in a beer that they begin to think that's the real thing. Oh darn, and you thought I was done pontificating? To the taste, I'll admit it's nothing special. Would arguably be better if it was sweeter. So to those who say "it's too sweet" — posh! It simply lacks balance. Seems a standard witbier at first, then the 'honey bourbon' that Shock Top was aiming for kicks in. All too briefly. What really ruins this beer is not the flavor, but how quickly the flavor all but disappears from the palate, before you've even swallowed, and becomes something more rancid. Maybe this has to do with how sudsy the carbonation is (extremely sudsy). It's mildly tart and "woody" throughout and the honey flavor does at least return in the finish. Light body, dry finish. With each passing second it seems to get thinner. I'd prefer a cold macro adjunct to this honestly, but I won't go to absurd lengths to demonize it. Only to defend it, whether it truly merits that or not.

Oct 05, 2015
hoptheology from South Dakota

2.88/5  rDev +31.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Served in a flute glass

Appearance : Hazy apricot peach glow, 90% opaque. Lots of effervescent carbonation spiraling up to meet the head - which is initially 3 fingers but recedes to a small ring of bubbles after a minute or so.

Smell : Quite a lot of adjunct, namely honey, herb, medicine, and ginger. It's a lot like outdated cough syrup. No malt, no hops.

Taste : A smidge better than the smell, starting off with white wheat, followed by a dose of honey and a pinch of herb. Faint lemon wedge as well. There's still a sappy medicinal quality to it though, and ultimately this should have been left as simply a beta tester. This should not be on shelves.

Feel : Highly carbonated, which helps boost the drinkability 500%. If this were undercarbonated, I'd probably throw it up. It ends crisp and tight.

Overall : This is the beer you give to your enemies. It's the trojan horse of the craft beer world. It looks intriguing, but inside is an army of hellish proportions. Drain pour worthy, especially after the first half of the bottle is gone. A great beer for target practice.

Oct 04, 2015
kingalexthegreat from Washington

4.77/5  rDev +117.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

People are just jealous. It's better than their own brew. It tastes, looks, smells, and feels like the title suggests it should. Honey Bourbon Cask Wheat Ale. The "fake honey" flavor these idiot jealous reviewers made were actually tasting a natural flavor. They are idiots.

Sep 15, 2015
phizzle from Illinois

1.26/5  rDev -42.5%

This tastes like fake honey and bourbon flavoring, not aged on casks. Personally, the combination of the two tastes like vomit. Total drain pour. I wouldn't waste your money.

Sep 05, 2015
MzKitty421

The biggest thing I noticed was a strong fake honey flavor. Honey is a fermentable sugar, so capturing its flavor is hard. Overall I was unimpressed, which is too bad because I had high hopes for it.

Jul 20, 2015
JoLight from Georgia

3.33/5  rDev +52.1%

Appearance: white, frothy head that dissipates into nothing. Unfiltered, brownish body.

Aroma: smells like honey and maybe some toffee candy.

Taste: Tastes very sugary sweet, with honey and brown sugar on the backbone. I detect no bourbon. Tastes very little like beer, but it does taste good.

Overall, It's good for what it is, but it's too little like beer. It feels disingenuous.

Jun 02, 2015
tone77 from Pennsylvania

2.66/5  rDev +21.5%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is a bit off, medicinal. Taste is cough medicine, honey, a hint of bourbon. Feels light in the mouth and overall, not the worst beer I have tried, but a lousy beer nonetheless.

Apr 23, 2015
KevChiTown

1.86/5  rDev -15.1%

Honestly I wanted something cold after landing in Florida and all my beer was warm. Bourbon staves and Shock Top should not party together...like ever

Apr 22, 2015
JohnnieWalkerBrew from Oregon

1.21/5  rDev -44.7%

There's alcohol in it which is a plus. Other than that, pretty much the worst thing I've ever put in my mouth. Tastes like burnt sugar. If Founders made this, it would have to be a parallel universe where Founders is actually owned and operated by Anheuser Busch. Do yourself a favor and steer clear of pretty much all Shock Top brews.

Apr 11, 2015
moonboogie_n8 from Michigan

1.29/5  rDev -41.1%

wow, what a terrible tasting beer (for me, and it seems a few other folks).
the honey flavor IS artificial and for sure overpowering everything else, so I don't even need to go on.... carbonated artificial honey flavoring, that's what shock top should call this "beer". also, if Founders DID brew a beer like this, I would throw the bottle through their front window for being stupid. very bad drink, couldn't even give the other 5 bottles away. awful.

Apr 11, 2015
eddiefontaine13 from Georgia

1.81/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.25

one of the worst beers I have had, what is to say, way to sweat, couldn't finish the bottle, wouldn't recommend to someone unless I didn't like them...

Mar 22, 2015
zotzot from Vermont

1.4/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

My wife bought me a 12 pack of Shock-Top. This isn't the worst one, but it's close. There is a slight bourbon taste on top of a mediocre wheat beer.
I feel out of duty I need to finish these - but it is a sacrifice when there is lots of decent beer in my fridge

Mar 15, 2015
DerykG from Texas

2.48/5  rDev +13.2%

It's sweet and thick, but it seems that it would be or should be a lighter beer. It's okay. If I wanted something on the sweet side I might partake in it again, but I'm clambering to get back to the store to get some more.

Mar 14, 2015
vette2006c5r from Minnesota

3.23/5  rDev +47.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Honey Bourbon Cask Wheat pours a hazy gold color with a small head. There is a big honey and wheat aroma. There is a big honey flavor, creamy wheat backbone. Very fizzy, and artificial flavors. Overall it has a strong flavor, but its too strong with the honey, and the flavor is artificial, and its fizzy. Even with that its not the worst.

Mar 03, 2015
Mrbseward from Virginia

3.78/5  rDev +72.6%

Poured a burnt orange color with very little head. Smells like warm honey and bourbon, taste much like mixing a bourbon and a shock top together with a smooth feel..gives mixed emotion on taste, too bourbon-esque or not enough beer-ish?!

Feb 22, 2015
StoutHunter from Michigan

1.98/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

I got a bottle of Shock Top's Honey Bourbon Cask Wheat as a freebie. I had this at the World Expo of Beer and I didn't like it that much, but since I was given one I though I would give it a proper review, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a teku.

A- The label looks ok, it's got a decent design to it, but it isn't too eye catching. It poured a nice orange color that took on more of a brighter orange color when held to the light with a finger and a half worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it didn't leave any lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer, but I wish it had better head retention and lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with an orange aroma being the first to show up along with a noticeable honey aroma that goes right into some funky dirty sock aromas. Up next comes a woody aroma, that slightly bourbon like, but it doesn't smell authentic. This beer didn't have a good aroma, the dirty sock aspect was a deal breaker.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but not as strong and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that still has that honey like aspect to it which is the first to show up and it's followed by a pretty light orange flavor. Up next comes that weird wood and fake bourbon barrel flavors that goes right into some funky dirty stock flavors. On the finish there's not bitterness with some sweetness taking it's place and it had a very honey like aftertaste.

M- A little smooth, very crisp, prickly, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a high amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel isn't good, it's way too carbonated.

Overall I wasn't a fan of this beer and I didn't think it was a good example of the style, it lived up to it's name when it came to the honey, but when it came to the bourbon cask it got weird and in the end it made for a beer that just didn't taste good. This beer didn't have good drinkability, it's a little smooth, very crisp, prickly, not filling and the taste doesn't do a good job at holding my attention, one is more than enough for me, no need for another one. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, it was a nice looking beer. What I liked the least about this beer was that nasty dirty sock aspect, it was just unwanted. I wouldn't buy this beer and I for sure wouldn't recommend it. All in all I just didn't like this beer, it's not for me and I don't find it to be enjoyable. This is my least favorite Shock Top beer and one of the my least favorite of the style. Better luck next time guys, this beer just wasn't good..

Feb 14, 2015
ThomasMetal75 from Massachusetts

2.32/5  rDev +5.9%

A- Looks hazy orange. It is more of a lemony yellow towards the bottom of the glass. Head is one finger tall. It is pretty soapy and fizzy. Carbonation looks good here. Looks like any Shock Top or Blue Moon style beer.

S- Honey and sugary sweetness. Lemons, limes, and orange is here as well. There is a little bit of a woodsy note. But in general it's very grainy, malty, citrusy, with a little bit of that honey in here. The nose is all over the place. Not appealing at all!

T- You do get the lime peel flavor in here. Honey is there. There is also a little bit of that bourbon stave/woody note as well. But the sweetness and the citrus just don't work well together. Too many citrusy notes in this one, and they all clash terribly with the honey. It's the limey taste that throws the flavor off for me. It's down right gross.

M- It's thin and fizzy like soda water. It's mild in the mouthfeel. It's a bit sticky from the sweetness.

Overall, this is not a very good beer. It's a 45/100 & a C-/C in grade. If you're looking to try some different when it comes to beer, this definitely is one for you to consider. It's just the honey, sweetness, and the citrusy flavors just do not go well with each at all. I can't recommend you willing try this beer.

Feb 08, 2015
Mooslerfitness from Ohio

1.51/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Just bad
L: like honey 1 finger head dissipates quick
S: honey oak and something awful
T: dirty honey served off burnt oak
F: watery
O: just plain bad wife picked this up in a pick your own six never again

Feb 03, 2015
TMoney2591 from Illinois

3.08/5  rDev +40.6%

Served in an Ohio State shaker pint glass.

Gotta love these random Shock Top flavors, amiright? Anyway, this stuff pours a kinda hazy golden amber topped by a finger or so of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises mild buttercream, caramel, a hint of bourbon-soaked wood, and a kiss of sweetgrass. The taste pretty much brings in more of the same, the competing sweetnesses kinda clashing a bit, though generally just canceling each other out for the most part, leaving just a vague sense of "sweet" on your tongue, buttressed by some very mild bourbon notes every now and again. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a mostly smooth feel. Overall, this is a pretty bland beer, especially given the expressive name, but I mostly enjoyed it. Chalk it up to my massive sweet tooth, but this ain't bad. Just not that great.

Feb 03, 2015
samtrillo from California

1.86/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Smells very sweet and artificial. Honey with some spices.

I don't know how to describe the taste. Soda syrupy sweetness. Fake honey. Some sort of spices that mimic bourbon. I don't know. It's like bourbon flavor for kids. I don't really consider this beer. Some sort of alcoholic malt beverage artificially sweetened.

Feb 02, 2015
bgillespie from New Jersey

2.21/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Probably the best part of the beer is how it looks, and it is not that flattering. Hazy gold is appealing, but almost no head that dissipates quickly.

Smell: A strange caramel/honey that has been burnt smell.

Taste: Just like the smell, I taste a weird artificial honey taste. Maybe a hint of aged bourbon.

Mouthfeel: Once you get past the taste, the feel is nothing special, almost a syrup kind of thickness. Needs more carbonation.

Overall: I am a fan of the regular shock top and bourbon, but this beer was off the mark. Would not have it again

Jan 29, 2015
RonaldTheriot from Louisiana

2.25/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Shock Top Honey Bourbon Cask Wheat has a think, foamy, off-white, quickly-dissipating head, an opaque, gold-orange, appearance, and no lacing left on the glass. The aroma is of spiced candle (vanilla, coconut, mild spices, and wax). The taste is the same, with non-existent bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy, and Shock Top Honey Bourbon Cask Wheat finishes wet, waxy, and decently refreshing.

RJT