Shock Top Honey Bourbon Cask Wheat

From:
Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Awful
Shock Top Honey Bourbon Cask WheatShock Top Honey Bourbon Cask Wheat
Notes: This Belgian-Style unfiltered wheat ale is brewed with honey, caramel malt, and aged on bourbon cask staves for the perfect balance of flavor and refreshment all year round.
View: Beers
Reviews: 116 | Ratings: 504 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by Gr8ful4Beer:
Gr8ful4Beer

1.43/5  rDev -34.7%

This is the worst Shock Top I've ever had.

Mar 04, 2015
darkstar4392 from California

Hmmm, how do I put this? Oh yeah DO NOT DRINK THIS SHITE! I get it most will say "What did you expect from a major brewer" but the bigs do make a consistent product and there’s a lot to be said for that. But this is grotesque. From the strong acridy urine smell and color (like someone who hasn’t properly hydrated in a while) to the disgusting spice notes that violate your taste buds this is completely undrinkable; it’s just...blechh! Seriously, did they dump everything from the spice rack in here? I swear it’s like I bit into matted rotting lavender and heather turf from someone’s garden; followed by the cloying vanilla sweetness of cream soda. And how come I can't rate this a zero? It's coming up 1? I poured this down the drain and even the sink gurgled in disgust at this crap. Man, where's the kerosene and a blowtorch I need to rinse my mouth.

Dec 16, 2014
BucannonXC5 from California

3.3/5  rDev +50.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Type: 12-oz. bottle
Glass: Pint mug
From: Albertsons in Alpine, Calif.
Price: $10.99 for a variety 12-pack
Purchased: Dec. 3, 2014
Consumed: Dec. 3, 2014
Misc.: Bottled on Oct. 8, 2014

Poured a honey, orange, hazy color with 1-to-2 fingers of off-white head that dissipated rather quickly. Some bubbles coming up on the sides of the glass, but not crazy. Minimal wet lacing on the sides all the way down. Minimal retention. (Sight - 3.00)

Took a step back on the first smell. Definitely different. Got caramel, honey, brown sugar, marshmallow, crayon, molasses, oaky wood, light vanilla, light chocolate and leathery spices. Intriguing. (Smell - 3.50)

Taste wasn’t as good as the nose, but still different. Caramel syrup, toffee, thick honey, marshmallow, brown sugar, light molasses, caramel vanilla sundae, cereal milk, leathery wood, carpet (I know) and light cocoa. (Taste - 3.25)

Light-to-medium body. Thin texture. Soft carbonation. Abrupt, creamy finish. (Feel - 3.25)

This was a different beer that’s for sure and I like that Anheuser-Busch would try something like this. Like all of their craft beer attempts, it will be underrated. I think this was decent for the style and above average for the brewery. (Overall - 3.25)

3.30 | 76 | B-

Dec 04, 2014
alucard3600 from North Carolina

3.82/5  rDev +74.4%

The Honey Bourbon, in my opinion has a great honey taste, and is an easy beer to drink, I would have no complaints having another one.

Jan 06, 2015
moonboogie_n8 from Michigan

1.29/5  rDev -41.1%

wow, what a terrible tasting beer (for me, and it seems a few other folks).
the honey flavor IS artificial and for sure overpowering everything else, so I don't even need to go on.... carbonated artificial honey flavoring, that's what shock top should call this "beer". also, if Founders DID brew a beer like this, I would throw the bottle through their front window for being stupid. very bad drink, couldn't even give the other 5 bottles away. awful.

Apr 11, 2015
phizzle from Illinois

1.26/5  rDev -42.5%

This tastes like fake honey and bourbon flavoring, not aged on casks. Personally, the combination of the two tastes like vomit. Total drain pour. I wouldn't waste your money.

Sep 05, 2015
kingalexthegreat from Washington

4.77/5  rDev +117.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

People are just jealous. It's better than their own brew. It tastes, looks, smells, and feels like the title suggests it should. Honey Bourbon Cask Wheat Ale. The "fake honey" flavor these idiot jealous reviewers made were actually tasting a natural flavor. They are idiots.

Sep 15, 2015
wiscokid920 from Wisconsin

May 25, 2014
Jbee

2.8/5  rDev +27.9%

Sep 22, 2014
jucifer1818 from Florida

1.44/5  rDev -34.2%

Picked up as a dare in a single....Lets hope that's its worth a buck fifty!

a: This brew is a nice and cloudy, with a nice light amber coloration. No head formed at all, which is a big deal on a wit...but to be expected from bourbon barrels.

I give it a 3.25 I suppose. It looks nice, but it needs more head to be proper.

s: It smells like toffee candy that is WAY past experation. Like a mix of a musty, mold like smell and sweet toffee. My first knee-jerk reaction to it was "it smells like feet!"
screw it, its a 1

taste: It starts off being not that bad, but my god the after-taste hits you like a sledgehammer. It tastes like a rotten malt-based cough syrup. Abisimal.

ok...thats enough. This beer SUCKS. I wanted to give it a chance.. I really did...but wow... The snobs where right on this one!

give it a pass. What the hell where they thinking...A bourbon barrel wit?
whats wrong with you Inbev! seriously.

This is going down the drain in favor of GOOD beer.

May 04, 2014
Electricflow

Jul 01, 2014
StonedTrippin from Colorado

3.23/5  rDev +47.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

again, like the chocolate one, this is so insanely over flavored as to be not even really beer anymore, but i have to admit that the honey aroma and taste, as pungent as it is and as out of proportion as it is, actually tastes pretty decent. its like those honey whiskeys that are all the rage right now, so much like raw been pollen honey stinging the nostrils and tastebuds. i actually do taste a little wheat malt in this one, but very minimal on the bourbon, only in the finish. the honey is so intense, like honey flavored medicine almost, like a scented candle or something, not really appealing for consumption, but still a neat sensory experience. sweetness is there in the finish, but its not overly sweet, and with bright carbonation its actually rather drinkable if you can handle the intensity of the honey. for me its weird, because i always think of honey as highly fermentable, so how do they get so much honey flavor there in the beer without it being super sweet, it makes no scientific sense, so for me it has to be artificial. that said, i kind of like this series for what it is, a guilty pleasure of mine...

Nov 23, 2014
patrick68L from Texas

2.16/5  rDev -1.4%

Sep 08, 2014
JoLight from Georgia

3.33/5  rDev +52.1%

Appearance: white, frothy head that dissipates into nothing. Unfiltered, brownish body.

Aroma: smells like honey and maybe some toffee candy.

Taste: Tastes very sugary sweet, with honey and brown sugar on the backbone. I detect no bourbon. Tastes very little like beer, but it does taste good.

Overall, It's good for what it is, but it's too little like beer. It feels disingenuous.

Jun 02, 2015
mhkins

2.48/5  rDev +13.2%

Aug 31, 2014
skipmooose from Florida

I have had over 1,000 micros and this is by far the WORST I have ever had. I figured I would try it because the Bourbon the label said was in it, instead, what I got was a bad Beer and the after taste is Repulsive!! I would rather be chewing on dirty socks!!...AW-FULL!!...And Overall, it is Shock Top...Nuff Said!

Oct 05, 2014
CGA2 from Michigan

1.56/5  rDev -28.8%

Sep 02, 2014
Birdlegs from Washington

Nov 02, 2014
Urk1127 from New Jersey

2.07/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Was recommended by a friend. And now I think about it a bit before asking somebody a recommendation. It looked good. Medium brown. Almost no head. It smelled like ricola cough drops and tasted the same but also musty and dirty. I drank one to see if it was maybe just the own bottle but the next was the same a I dumped them all

Nov 03, 2014
mlacanne from Michigan

2.6/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Dec 26, 2014

2.5/5  rDev +14.2%

May 24, 2014
JaredMarvel from North Carolina

2.93/5  rDev +33.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Rarily in one of my reviews, does the overall sum equal more than its parts, but to me, there should be a category for in how interesting the beer is. To me, perhaps because of my own naivety this beer was far from a dime a dozen. While the sweetness, was almost to much, it was not something I have experienced before, and new always scores well to me. The cloudy beer is always appealing, I did not love the mouthfeel, and though i will probably not do this same beer again, i will recommend it to some of my friends as an interesting change of pace.

Jul 10, 2014