Tequiza

From:
Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Reviews: 80 | Ratings: 146 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by skeetermoses:
skeetermoses from Oklahoma

1.83/5  rDev +5.2%

I can actually say that Miller Chill is much better, although I really dont care for Miler Chill in the first place. My mom actualy likes this beer, in fact it was her first beer she enjoyed. I did turn her on to Chill, but nonetheless, she could care less about beer altogether.

Dec 31, 2007
nathanh5 from Virginia

4.91/5  rDev +182.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wonderful summer and session beer for me. I really wish AB would bring it back. Look/color was average. Smell was rather lagerish. But the flavor was sweetish, not like todaze sugar malt Koolaid beers, but Tequiza was more towards a true lager. Tequiza had it's own special flavor. I used to drink it every day when not drinking something more exotic like KBS, 120 minute, or My beloved Behemoth Barley wine.
Anyhow, AB replaced with Bud Lite with lime, which is more like drinking urine...I know you guyz mostly hate it, but I would kill to have a few six packs nestled in with my exotic crafts.

Dec 25, 2016
Tweezerjam from Pennsylvania

2.24/5  rDev +28.7%

I randomly thought of this beer while watching Mad Max for the first time (which sucks, btw). I bet that's never happened before. I used to buy this stuff when I was 18 in '98. At first I thought it was delicious but that faded fast. One was ok but not more than two or three. I did like the citrus flavor though.

May 13, 2019
Jason from Massachusetts

1.26/5  rDev -27.6%

Damn, is this soda? Looks like it, smells like it … oh wait, it tastes like bud light and lime with some other odd flavourings as well. I had a few sips and dumped the rest out; I think A-B would have been better off brewing a lager and lime. Don’t even bother with this one.

Jul 14, 2003
Brent from Kentucky

1.5/5  rDev -13.8%

I can't say I tried this with an open mind. I figured it would be bad, and tried it to see how bad it was. It wasn't good, but, to my surprise, it was drinkable. I'm not sure I would call this a beer. It falls more in the "flavored malt beverage" category with Zima. Unless you're really into shooting tequilla and chasing it with a cheap Mexican beer, don't waste your money.

Aug 10, 2001
budgood1 from Minnesota

2.47/5  rDev +42%

smells like a box of Trix cereal. tastes like Corona with a slight (i mean really slight) tequila bite. if it was summer and the sun was beating down and i was thirsty, partying on the beach getting wild, listening to Van Halen and doing the Cabo Wabo, this might be the ticket. otherwise.....i would never touch this stuff. real beer drinkers beware....this isn't real beer.

Mar 26, 2002
proc from Michigan

Horrible. A heavily adjunct laden mess that tastes like lime juice mixed with corn water. One word: Yuck.

May 15, 2002
drizzam from Wisconsin

1.2/5  rDev -31%

Yeah, this stuff is pretty terrible! I mistakenly tried one at a bar and couldn't even finish it (and I'm one that doesn't condone that kind of alcohol abuse!)

I'm kinda surprised this is even on BA since in my book it's more of a malternative than a beer. Super-carbonated, smelling slightly of citrus and really rough on the taste buds...this is one I won't be unhappy to see leave the shelves...let's make some room for the quality beer!

Jan 21, 2003
Pegasus from Texas

1.5/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Clear medium golden color with a fairly large snow-white head, which vanishes in seconds. Profuse streams of carbonation rise to the surface, but leave no foam to mark their passage.

Aroma: Aroma of lemon and lime with a lingering sweet fruit note, rather like a citrus soda.

Taste: Begins with a sweet lemony note, which segues to a minor bitterness. Towards the finish there is a brief interlude of sweet fruitiness that is disturbingly reminiscent of the Fruit Loops cereal I ate as a small child. Finishes with an odd aftertaste.

Mouth feel: Quite thin and watery, similar to a carbonated mineral water.

Drinkability/notes: Rather too much like the accursed genre of malternatives. I find little to recommend in this beer.

Jul 22, 2003
packetknife from Idaho

2.76/5  rDev +58.6%

Two drops of tequila in a Corona with a bit of lime. You've got Tequiza. I think that is written on the label too. ;-) The only ~complaint~ is that it smells off. Nothing that would reflect it's a beer. Don't have it overly cold, otherwise it numbs your tongue and you can't taste a darn thing (this pretty much applies all-over).

Apr 28, 2002
psugrad98 from Pennsylvania

1.48/5  rDev -14.9%

Yellow golden in color with a slight off color hue. Almost no head. Has strong algave tequila flavor. Basically it is budweiser with algave. Nothing exciting.

May 30, 2002
BeerBob from Nebraska

1.51/5  rDev -13.2%

Tequiza “Beer With Blue Agave Nectar And The Natural Flavor Of Lime” pours a brilliant yellow amber from a 12oz clear glass twist off top bottle. Head went to one finger before going off to oblivion without a trace of anything, not bubble one.

Nose is like a herbal shampoo and palate is like drinking herbal shampoo, with out the bubbles.

Tequiza is an Anheuser-Bush, Inc. product, and for the life of me, I don’t understand how this product got out of R&D and onto the streets.

Nov 08, 2002
ElGuapo from New Jersey

1.2/5  rDev -31%

i did not know this shit would be on here until i checked out the worst list, and i had to voice my opinion. this stuff is just horrible. i can't even explain the taste is just unbearable. tastes like a beer opened for three days in a desert and filled with rat piss

Sep 10, 2002
NeroFiddled from Pennsylvania

2.55/5  rDev +46.6%

I have to give AB some credit for the originality and marketing of this one. They introduced it at the height of the small-batch/boutique tequila and agave craze. Unfortunately, it just doesn't taste that good. It's not really a beer, but it's not a sweet malt-based "cooler" either. Instead it walks some odd, untread path. There are no flaws to it, per se, but it just doesn't seem to work real well. It pours a crystal clear light straw body with a thin lid of bright white foam that quickly receeds to a wide collar and leaves only minor lacing. The nose displays lime and agave over a sweet malt base. It's interesting, and very reminiscent of a margarita. It's surprisingly dextrinous and medium bodied with a fine, gently crisp carbonation that enlivens the tastebuds. The lime appears first as a flash across the palate before stepping aside to let the sweetish malt and agave flavor come through. It finishes drying and the lime returns again along with some dull, residual sweet malt. It's initially an interesting beer, but it doesn't have much to offer in the way of drinkability. Personally, I'd rather have a tequila or a Marguerita, because this is so far from what I expect from a beer that malt and hops aren't even a question after having tasted it. It may make it as a fair thirst quencher at a BBQ as it does pair well with spicy shrimp skewers, but it's not the kind of beer that you walk into a bar and order. But what the hell, try one out of curiosity... I did.

Jan 11, 2004
bditty187 from Nebraska

1.23/5  rDev -29.3%

Tequiza sounded good in theory.

Lightest possible yellow hue without being clear, minimal head, no lace. The aroma was like Sprite with extra limes added to it… nothing that resembled beer, too odd to be inviting. Ditto on the taste. It is shockingly harsh on the palate, the over carbonation did not help. This is a gimmick beer that has survived far too long. Even at $1.09 for a single 12 oz. bottle I got ripped off.

Move along, move along… this isn’t the beer you’re looking for

Nov 24, 2002
Beastdog75 from New Jersey

1.63/5  rDev -6.3%

I had to try this stuff before AB inevitably pulls it from the shelves. What I can definately say is that I won't be buying it again anytime soon. The concept is interesting: beer with blue agave nectar, lime, and "natural tequila flavor". They just didn't pull this off right.

Tequiza pours a pale straw color, much like Bud. The fizzy white head disappears almost instantly. The smell? Smells like Trix cereal. Very sugary sweet. The mouthfeel is thin, watery, and extremely fizzy (like seltzer water). I could detect no beer taste in this whatsoever. Tastes like liquified alcoholic Trix cereal. The tequila taste is barely there. The aftertaste isn't very strong, but after a few moments, it tastes like cooked veggies (reminds me of raw avocado). No alcohlic warmth.

They should put this next to Zima. Its more of a malternative than a real beer. As a matter of fact, I would recomend Smirnoff Ice over this, which happens to be a lot more refreshing and a lot less foul tasting (still a malternative though).

Sep 26, 2002
Jarod from Pennsylvania

2.47/5  rDev +42%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is one beer that I can say the colder the better. I drink this one straight from the bottle. The color is a typical color. Nothing special. The flavor: tastes like a macro brew beer with hints of some sort of citrus. I think it might be lime and if it is cold enough you can get a slight snap that an average tequila has. But to be honest on a hot day and it is ice cold, it is drinkable. Especially when it is up against some of the other brands. It is a different taste and may be tried if one wants to try something other then their usual and are affraid to go full micro.

Nov 01, 2002
Gusler from Arizona

The beer after escaping the 12-ounce bottle sets in the glass a pallid yellow with a modest frothy white head and after its decomposition, the left over lace forms a thin sheet upon the glass. Nose is malt dominated, sweet and clean, the start is sweet and the grain profile light, top is thin as they come. Finish is strikingly acidic, the hops mild but pleasant, aftertaste dry, can’t believe people actually like this beer, no accounting for some peoples lack of taste.

Oct 04, 2004
brewdlyhooked13 from Ohio

2.16/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a ginger ale color. Fizzy white head disappears on the double. Lots of carbonation, but the head is far too unstable to maintain. Probably a sign of cost cutting brewing methods.

Aroma is part lemon-lime, part alka-seltzer.

Taste is a very weak malt with sweet lime flavor mixed in, no hops. Thin mouthfeel, nicely carbonated, crisp finish.

Drinkability - for hot weather, and the hotter, the better. The thirstier you are, the better these taste. Rather alcopop-ish, but just barely closer to beer. Different, but not a great session choice, a little too 7-UPish.

Jun 30, 2003
slitherySOB from Canada

1.38/5  rDev -20.7%

I vote too change the name of this beer too Tequeasy. The smell made my gut churn, the taste emptied the contents. Poured a fizzy, urine yellow with a terrible head. Smelled of sour tequila and sour malt. Tasted terrible. Weak tequila, strong feces taste. Never drink this. Even for an A-B product, this is disgusting.

May 19, 2003
twi1609372 from Florida

Tequiza: the official beer of president Clinton!!

This beer is about was bad as it gets. reaking odor, horrible taste. Ah yes this beer brings back so many memories of me and my friend threatening to make truck drivers drink the stuff as revenge for poor driving. the mouth instantly tells you "this is not drinkable, and if you override your mouth, your stomach will tell you also. is this a want to be corona? just when we thought corona was bad, and nothing could be worse than rock bottom, it seems like anheiser bush dug under and found a way to go lower than rock bottom. Real beers don't taste so bad they need fruit to mask the taste, therefore drink up president Clinton and don't switch Tequiza for our Sam Adams. beer with a shot of tequila, that's one of the worst ideas I have ever heard, yes this beer is horrible horrible.

Jul 25, 2004
JISurfer from South Carolina

1.45/5  rDev -16.7%

On the outside, this looked like an ok beer. I like tequila and I like beer, so I thought,"What the hey? This shouldn't be too bad." Maaaaan was I wrong! Sure, it had a nice pale color going, and a nice kinda fruity smell to it, but everything else sucked about it. The taste was like stale sweet water, with some malt added. I am definately not going to buy this again. I think that we should advise the Humanitarian Society about this stuff, cause with a taste like this, it's gotta violate some laws somewhere.

Feb 27, 2003
Dmann from California

1.03/5  rDev -40.8%

This is a horrible excuse for a beer. It poured a clear straw color with a very small head that faded almost instantly. The smell was of lime and grain. The taste was pretty much identical to the lime flavored fruit loops cerial. No decernable hop or malt characteristics, just sweet nastyness. One of the worst beers I've ever had.

Jan 31, 2004
Reidrover from Oregon

1.65/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 2.5

Ok I had to take this as a challenge...Heard so much bad about this "beer", I just had to try it out..bought one 12 ozer.
when it first pours there is a head..then in seconds it almost completelly dissapears..leaving the beverage looking like yellowish seltza water.
It doesnt really taste much like beer at all...way to sweet and limey..and feels like seltza water on the tongue..
Feels like a lime soda on the mouth..
but as i had just finished working out..this was actually quite drinkable..just not beer I am afraid.
Wont buy it again however..club soda is just as refreshing ice cold .

Feb 12, 2003
scottum from Vermont

Had one sip at a party recently just to see if it were as bad as I remembered. yuckyuckyuckyuck. There is no balance! Yellow swill.

It is quite possible that I am a bigger tequila advocate than I am a beer advocate. I dig a vintage Mezcal on the rocks with a dash of lime much more than the next guy. As do I dig a celler temp Double Bastard Ale much more than the next guy. However I must agree that tequila is one of the worst beers I've ever tasted. I couldn't drink beer or tequila for over two weeks after I had it. Just ruined them for me.

Feb 27, 2003