Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Tequiza | Anheuser-Busch

anheuser-busch.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

4.91/5  rDev +168.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wonderful summer and session beer for me. I really wish AB would bring it back. Look/color was average. Smell was rather lagerish. But the flavor was sweetish, not like todaze sugar malt Koolaid beers, but Tequiza was more towards a true lager. Tequiza had it's own special flavor. I used to drink it every day when not drinking something more exotic like KBS, 120 minute, or My beloved Behemoth Barley wine.
Anyhow, AB replaced with Bud Lite with lime, which is more like drinking urine...I know you guyz mostly hate it, but I would kill to have a few six packs nestled in with my exotic crafts.

4.5/5  rDev +145.9%

4.35/5  rDev +137.7%

I really injoyed this beer. I thought for the price which was usually around $5 bucks, that it was a very injoyable beer. It wasn't strong and wasn't to week. In my opinion i really think it is a really good summer time beer. And in the line of lime flavoered beers it is at the top. I well miss this beer and can only hope that it well one day return to the shelves.

4.29/5  rDev +134.4%

I used to love this beer when it was sold.

3.5/5  rDev +91.3%

3.34/5  rDev +82.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thin white lace head. The aroma is decent for what it is. It is light with lime scents. It 's actually pretty refreshing. The taste is not that bad. Look, this is a specialty beer. It does taste like a tequila cooler. I wouldn't drink this beer regularly, but I like breweries trying something different. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low bodied, refreshing, and well carbonated beer. It drinks fine. Like I said, this is a once in a lifetime purchase. What can I say? It's original, right?

3.1/5  rDev +69.4%

This was a unique malt at one time. I used to like this beer on occasions. It was a lot better tasting beer to me than miller chill or bud light lime. I would like to see this beer back on shelves one day.

Pours a light yellow with thin head
Has a great lime smell
Taste is cheap lime flavor with lots of fizz

2.98/5  rDev +62.8%

This is definitely a mood beer...you have to be in the mood for it.
Pours a light golden macro clear with a macro style 1/2 head of large bubbles that disappears quickly. It is definitely preferable out of the bottle.
Aroma is non-hop, slightly sweet with a mixture of malt and tequila scents. A little skunkie.
Taste is Mexican beer sweet with a slight skunkiness and the unusual addition of blue agave. I don't notice any lime by itself.
Thirst quenching on a hot, hot day.
This is a beer that is best served camoflagued....in the bottle, with a wedge of lime and a little salt on the rim or dusted with the little packages of lime salt they give you with it. It's for you if you are in the mood for a corona and tequila shooters....otherwise, don't bother. Definitely a novelty, but still....
"After you've been havin' steak for a long time, beans taste fine"

2.97/5  rDev +62.3%

Born on date of November 7th 2008. Poured from a clear 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: A hard pour produced only a one finger white head. Clear golden yellow. Despite the head dropping to nothing I still had a little bit of lacing.

Smell: The only thing in the aroma is limes. Very sweet and candy-like.

Taste: Not that bad. Not as bad as other reviews will have you believe at least. Very sweet with a lime flavor.

Mouthfeel: Substantial mouthfeel for being an A-B product. Much more to it than the wateriness that is Bud Light Lime or Miller Chill.

2.95/5  rDev +61.2%

The only other time I ever came close to drinking this stuff was when I was 17 and working third shift at a gas station. The semi-retarded older man that I was working with brought a couple of cold Tequizas back into the break room, cracked one open, and invited me to do the same.

As I bottle was nearing my lips, he told me that he had found them in the trash outside.

Since then, I've avoided Tequiza just because I associate it with garbage.

Pours a very pale yellow. Icky bud staw whiteyellow, but there's a nice fluffy white head on it that sticks around.

Smells of inauthentic lemon juice and adjunct grain. Kind of like a shandy. No hint of tequila. No real "beer" presence. Still, not unpleasant.

Tastes like an American macro mixed with some Sprite. Smooth adjunct grain up front, moving into tart, fake lemon, and then ending on a bittersweet AB aftertaste.

There's nothing *bad* about this beer. I understand the low scores, what with people likening it to an alcopop or whatever, but just as I don't hestitate to give a good fruit/veg beer a good score, I will not hesitate to give a mediocre one a mediocre score. This ain't exactly worth searching out, but I can think of worse things to drink!

2.87/5  rDev +56.8%

This was given to me from a buddy who didn't quite care for it, but like it or not I'm always up for a new taste. Appearance is a light golden yellow with a crisp white head. Smell and taste is rather refreshing of sweet lime and slight hint of tequila with good crisp carbonation and having a light mouthfeel. Not to bad, refreshing enough, but I would'nt want to drink it as a session, one was a good taster for me.

2.76/5  rDev +50.8%

Two drops of tequila in a Corona with a bit of lime. You've got Tequiza. I think that is written on the label too. ;-) The only ~complaint~ is that it smells off. Nothing that would reflect it's a beer. Don't have it overly cold, otherwise it numbs your tongue and you can't taste a darn thing (this pretty much applies all-over).

2.65/5  rDev +44.8%

I, by no means am saying that this is a great beer but some people have been awefully harsh toward this brew. Lets first of all see why this beer was made. It was made as competition to Corona and A-B did the job, I personally like this better than Corona(not saying much). To grade this beer a 1.1 or ratings like that that I have seen is being harsh. I'd rather have this than some of the aweful light beers out there. I used to have this moderately frequently actually at the Salvadorian restaurant by my house. It has a taste of lime and is pretty refreshing. One thing which I found interesting was the article written not too long ago about putting salt in beer. A-B actually made "Tequiza Salt" to put into the beer. It basically makes it more carbonated and brings out a bit more of the citrusy taste, not much more, but I figured it is worth mentioning. In closing, this was never meant to be a legitimately good beer, it was meant to appeal to some of the masses and compete with Corona, so we should take it at that. Also I could throw off the names of several worse beers just off the top of my head. This beer at least didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth. Its just very light and as one of the Bros mentioned, very soda-like.

2.63/5  rDev +43.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Rating from memory, obviously. I remember drinkable & smooth.

2.56/5  rDev +39.9%

No so much a beer as a flavored malt liquor, like a Zima. Pours golden clear with a fluffy white head that fades quickly to nothing. SWEET nose of lime/citrus like a malt beverage. Citrusy, malty, sweet, cloying taste. Mouthfeel is quite liquid. Not bad in its own right, but not a beer per se in my opinion. More like a Zima with a splash of Midori.

2.55/5  rDev +39.3%

I have to give AB some credit for the originality and marketing of this one. They introduced it at the height of the small-batch/boutique tequila and agave craze. Unfortunately, it just doesn't taste that good. It's not really a beer, but it's not a sweet malt-based "cooler" either. Instead it walks some odd, untread path. There are no flaws to it, per se, but it just doesn't seem to work real well. It pours a crystal clear light straw body with a thin lid of bright white foam that quickly receeds to a wide collar and leaves only minor lacing. The nose displays lime and agave over a sweet malt base. It's interesting, and very reminiscent of a margarita. It's surprisingly dextrinous and medium bodied with a fine, gently crisp carbonation that enlivens the tastebuds. The lime appears first as a flash across the palate before stepping aside to let the sweetish malt and agave flavor come through. It finishes drying and the lime returns again along with some dull, residual sweet malt. It's initially an interesting beer, but it doesn't have much to offer in the way of drinkability. Personally, I'd rather have a tequila or a Marguerita, because this is so far from what I expect from a beer that malt and hops aren't even a question after having tasted it. It may make it as a fair thirst quencher at a BBQ as it does pair well with spicy shrimp skewers, but it's not the kind of beer that you walk into a bar and order. But what the hell, try one out of curiosity... I did.

2.55/5  rDev +39.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.55/5  rDev +39.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 4.5

This is girly beer right here. You might as well call this a wine cooler or, hell it almost tastes like pop. Taste very sweet, and you could barely call this beer. I thought it was going to be pre limed corona, i was dead wrong, it's sweet chick beer.

2.53/5  rDev +38.3%

Had this beer recently on my trip to South Carolina. My brother and sister said we should get this because they wanted something that would be like Corona and this was the closest the store had besides Corona Light, which all 3 of us agree tastes awful. I didn't really want to get this beer. I had never heard of it before seeing it in the groceery store in South Carolina so imagine my surprise when I find out it is brewed by Anheuser-Busch. Anways this beer pours a clear light golden color with a head half an inch in size that totally dissappears about 2 minutes after being poured. I had trouble recognizing any identifiable aromas from this beer. Tastes blandly sweet with some lime thrown in. That's really about it for taste. The taste itself is not that bad per se, its just that there is not enough taste overall. Bland and weak. It is missing the taste of beer. Has a crisp mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Also, it feels like seltzer water much more than beer. If I didn't know it was beer (or so it says on the bottle's label) and if there was not the small head when being poured the the light golden color and someone told me I was drinking seltzer water, I wouldn't know the difference. This is very easy to drink in the say way seltzer water is, which is certainly not a good thing when it comes to beer IMO. I am not really a fan of any of A-B's products by any means, but this is not one of their better ones. Avoid. Only consider drinking if free and nothing better is available. And if you are in the mood to drink seltzer water with a bit of alcohol in it.

Eric

2.5/5  rDev +36.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.47/5  rDev +35%

smells like a box of Trix cereal. tastes like Corona with a slight (i mean really slight) tequila bite. if it was summer and the sun was beating down and i was thirsty, partying on the beach getting wild, listening to Van Halen and doing the Cabo Wabo, this might be the ticket. otherwise.....i would never touch this stuff. real beer drinkers beware....this isn't real beer.

Tequiza from Anheuser-Busch