Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Tequiza | Anheuser-Busch

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

1.5/5  rDev -18%

1.75/5  rDev -4.4%

1.11/5  rDev -39.3%

People like beer becase it is pleasant to drink and they like it's effects. People drink tequilla because they like the effects, they do not like the flavor. Why put something that people don't like to drink into something that people do like to drink; especially at 4.5%. To rate a beer adequately, it must have characters of beer...I'll do my best. Smells eerily like tequilla--sharp, hot, vegital, and nausiating. Looks like carbonated tequilla--highly carbonated tequilla. Tastes...well...like watery tequilla. Feels like watery, fizzy tequilla. Finishes like watery tequilla. Actually, I didn't finish it. If you like beer, then drink beer. If you want tequilla, drink tequilla. Shouldn't mix the two. I like coca-cola and skim milk, but I'm not going to mix the two.

2.55/5  rDev +39.3%

I have to give AB some credit for the originality and marketing of this one. They introduced it at the height of the small-batch/boutique tequila and agave craze. Unfortunately, it just doesn't taste that good. It's not really a beer, but it's not a sweet malt-based "cooler" either. Instead it walks some odd, untread path. There are no flaws to it, per se, but it just doesn't seem to work real well. It pours a crystal clear light straw body with a thin lid of bright white foam that quickly receeds to a wide collar and leaves only minor lacing. The nose displays lime and agave over a sweet malt base. It's interesting, and very reminiscent of a margarita. It's surprisingly dextrinous and medium bodied with a fine, gently crisp carbonation that enlivens the tastebuds. The lime appears first as a flash across the palate before stepping aside to let the sweetish malt and agave flavor come through. It finishes drying and the lime returns again along with some dull, residual sweet malt. It's initially an interesting beer, but it doesn't have much to offer in the way of drinkability. Personally, I'd rather have a tequila or a Marguerita, because this is so far from what I expect from a beer that malt and hops aren't even a question after having tasted it. It may make it as a fair thirst quencher at a BBQ as it does pair well with spicy shrimp skewers, but it's not the kind of beer that you walk into a bar and order. But what the hell, try one out of curiosity... I did.

2.12/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very pale yellow color with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of sweet lime and that’s about it. There’s a little something that smells like soap, which I assume is the blue agave nectar that is listed on the beer’s label. I really couldn’t pick up much else other than that.

T: Much like the smell, the taste is very fruity and sweet with the flavors of lime & blue agave. The malt character is very light and there’s very little hops presence. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, very light body, medium-to-heavy carbonation, finish is a little slick.

D: A little tasty, goes down easy, not filling at all, it’s not a bad drink, but loosely passes for a beer in any regard. It seems more like a malternative to me.

1.26/5  rDev -31.1%

Damn, is this soda? Looks like it, smells like it … oh wait, it tastes like bud light and lime with some other odd flavourings as well. I had a few sips and dumped the rest out; I think A-B would have been better off brewing a lager and lime. Don’t even bother with this one.

2.01/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours bright straw yellow with a thin head that immediately drops to a wisp. All of two dots of lacing stick. Typical macro appearance.

The smell is of lime and a plastic-like fake cheap taquila-like aroma. I suppose that that's what they were going for, but it's not very pleasant. If I wanted a margarita, that's what I would drink - and I can enjoy one - but, where's the "beer" part?

The taste is sweet - lime and blue agave. Even there, there is something "arificial" about it. And, again, where's the "beer" - at least a little in back? Nope. And, again, I suppose that's what they were going for - but, too artificial and no "beer" anywhere.

The feel is light and fizzy, with a plastic-ish lime hanging on for too long.

On a hot day, the first half was almost interesting, but it became annoying and almost intolerable because of the sweetness that was relentless. Seems like a malt beverage that was margarita-like. Does this really belong in the beer category?--

1.52/5  rDev -16.9%

Poured into pint glass, waste of detergent to clean the glass afterwords.
A very light yellowish color with not head. Smell was of very bad and weak agave, lime, hops, and grass...dead grass.
Taste was worse, yet not that bad. What I could taste was malt, lemon and water so the taste wasn't bad, but it wasn't beer. More like lime juice after a mowed lawn.
couldn't finish the bottle.

3.34/5  rDev +82.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thin white lace head. The aroma is decent for what it is. It is light with lime scents. It 's actually pretty refreshing. The taste is not that bad. Look, this is a specialty beer. It does taste like a tequila cooler. I wouldn't drink this beer regularly, but I like breweries trying something different. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low bodied, refreshing, and well carbonated beer. It drinks fine. Like I said, this is a once in a lifetime purchase. What can I say? It's original, right?

1.36/5  rDev -25.7%

I could make a number of cheezy comments on the beer before opening, but I won't. Let's just get on to the beer:

Pours like clear soda with a transculent straw color, the head is also soda-like and fizzles away to nothing. Looks like colored water at this point. The nose is actually decent here, think of a toned down margarita. At least there is nothing off in it, but the beer component is missing. I hesitiate to taste...

Um, what is this, soda pop? Margarita flavor is subtle and hides beneath the aggesive carbonation of this drink. I don't know how to describe it further, but it hurts my tongue with its sourness, and I think my palate is filing for a divorce. The drying finish is odd and very unpleasant. I can only go down one road: My dear kitchen sink - Drink up!

I love soda, but this is just horrible. Even Diet 7UP tastes better than this. And this doesn't come cheap either. What's the point?

Want soda flavoring with alcohol? Get Smirnoff Ice. Want a fruit beer with good flavor? Get Pyramid Apricot Weizen.

1.77/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Wow, does this look not appealing. Urine yellow beer that produces no head or anything. Aroma was like corn syrup.

Taste was sweet. Corona and sugar. Nothing tequila like really. I guess that is agave? Is there lime in this too? The carbonation game is strong here, combined with the sweetness, this is definitely malternative territory. This is like soda. Soda Tequiza. Would bang again just to say I did, but other than that, super pass.

1.75/5  rDev -4.4%

1.97/5  rDev +7.7%

My Tequiza koozie is destined to become a sought after hipster vintage collectable!

OK, an obvious failed attempt to cut into Corona's market share. Yellow beer. No head, lace. Aroma, not horrible, even get a little agave sweetness.

Taste, eh, unique? The agave doesn't taste as much as it smelled, but other than that, its pretty much just Corona with all kinds of less desireable adjunct flavor (or lack thereof). No hops. Pass.

2.95/5  rDev +61.2%

The only other time I ever came close to drinking this stuff was when I was 17 and working third shift at a gas station. The semi-retarded older man that I was working with brought a couple of cold Tequizas back into the break room, cracked one open, and invited me to do the same.

As I bottle was nearing my lips, he told me that he had found them in the trash outside.

Since then, I've avoided Tequiza just because I associate it with garbage.

Pours a very pale yellow. Icky bud staw whiteyellow, but there's a nice fluffy white head on it that sticks around.

Smells of inauthentic lemon juice and adjunct grain. Kind of like a shandy. No hint of tequila. No real "beer" presence. Still, not unpleasant.

Tastes like an American macro mixed with some Sprite. Smooth adjunct grain up front, moving into tart, fake lemon, and then ending on a bittersweet AB aftertaste.

There's nothing *bad* about this beer. I understand the low scores, what with people likening it to an alcopop or whatever, but just as I don't hestitate to give a good fruit/veg beer a good score, I will not hesitate to give a mediocre one a mediocre score. This ain't exactly worth searching out, but I can think of worse things to drink!

Tequiza from Anheuser-Busch