Shock Top Twisted Pretzel Wheat | Anheuser-Busch

Style: American Dark Wheat Ale

Added by TheManiacalOne on 04-19-2014

Reviews by 22Blue:

4.65/5  rDev +37.2%

WHAAAAAAT?! let me start by saying I will ALWAYS try a new shoktop, soooooooo much better than blue moon with their weird flavored beers, blue moon always tastes like a hint of whatever flavored blue moon, shocktop always actually taste like a completely different beer, this one is no exception.

the aroma is the greatest quality of this beer. in fact it's PERFECT. smells like a bready/doughy pretzel with some sugar and cinnamon freshly baked onto the top of it then liquidized and beerified. INSAIN.

the taste isn't as amazing as the smell would imply but it's still pretty stinkin good, definatley worth a 7.99 6 pack, I'd peg this as more of a brown ale then a wheat beer but whatever.

OVERALL: I think sometimes people judge a beer buy who makes it, OBVIOUSLY ANY smart and experienced craft beer drink HATE all the big guys, whoever they are, in this case Anheuser-Busch, hey I know I do. Sometimes even to the point where I won't even try their stupid new gimmicky products, BUT... when have you ever had a beer that was supposed to be flavored like a pretzel, one that tastes and ABSOLUOTLY smells like a warm fresh baked one!??! seriously!? get over your snobbyness, at least every once in a while when something truly UNIQUE comes around, hey if I can overcome my beer snob-ness every now and then, anyone can!! I've liked shocktop for a number of years, long before I even became a craft beer drinker, since then I've tried some of there products that definitely left a lot to be desired but this is the BEST shocktop I've EVER had and the best busch product I will probably ever have again.

3.59/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance: Pours a semi-clear amber, with little to no head nor lace. Kinda meh.

Aroma: Very much a salty pretzel all the way. Artificial, sure, but pretty well spot-on for a lab recreation of a big warm German pretzel in your face!

Taste: Doesn’t quite match up to the wonderful aroma, but still remains a pretty drinkable beer, with a hint of the saltiness and wheat. Really, fairly well-balanced and drinkable. No problem here (aside from the fact that it’s (a) totally fake and (b) an AB product.

4.16/5  rDev +22.7%

I'll be damned, but Anheuser-Busch finally brewed a winner under their Shock Top "craft" brand. I love the salty pretzel taste and aroma. It is somewhat watery, but the taste is unique, refreshing and delicious. I came home exhausted and thirsty following a softball game in the heat and humidity and this hit the spot. It was so refreshing that I immediately poured another after finishing the first, and a frosted pub glass is the way to go. A rare bright spot in Anheuser-Busch's predominantly drab lineup of weak imitation craft beers.

4.12/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Yeah, I'm a sucker for novel flavored beers, whether they are good or not. This beer does uncannily smell and taste like a salted soft pretzel. Though the smell is better than the taste. The mouthfeel isn't the best, but still not horrible. This beer might be good with pizza or while eating some sort of junk food. It's not something I would seek out, but if a 6 pack ended up in my house, I'd drink it with pleasure.

4.49/5  rDev +32.4%

I hate how much I love this... No, wait... Actually I don't. I have no problem advocating a beer that I enjoy even if AB brews it...

Pretzels are my go to snack, and my go to beer pairing. Aroma wise, this honestly couldn't smell any more like one. Taste could be richer but nonetheless its heavy on bready malt that actually tastes like sour dough. Faint noble hops. Mouthfeel is crisp.

Overall I would (scratch that - i have bought) certainly buy this again. Stay open minded BA's.

4.36/5  rDev +28.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

A refreshing twist on trendy flavored beers. Not sweet, not salty, seriously pretzely. I wouldn't down a 6 packer or anything but it's great for a variety night:) YUMMMM... pass the mustard please!

3.58/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.03/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

3.7/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.04/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

This beer really goes overboard on the pretzel flavor. It's a good idea, and it certainly doesn't come off badly, but it is almost cartoonish how desperately this beer wants to taste like pretzel, to the point that it tastes rather artificial. It is light and very carbonated (which its darkness and thick head do not suggest).

3.17/5  rDev -6.5%

3.99/5  rDev +17.7%

Tasted at a beer festival. The smell is that of pretzels, which I find amazing. That is where it ends. The taste is very hard to get down and it leaves an awful aftertaste.

2.89/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.04/5  rDev -10.3%

3.76/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured into mouth directly from bottle during hot shower.

Pleasantly surprised by the accuracy of the pretzel smell. Smells more like pretzels than the stale pretzels in my cabinet.

As other reviewers have noted, taste was weak but generally pleasant. However, you can tell that there was a lot put into this beer that normally has no place in a beer to achieve that taste - definitely artificial but not necessarily in a bad way. Flavor improved over time as the finishing notes lingered and blended with the initial notes of the next sip.

Overall interesting beer. Shock Top did a pretty good job with this one.

2.59/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Not a huge fan of shocktop and this was just to weird for me.

3.45/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Brown in color with great clarity and vigorous carbonation bubbles erupting from within. There's a scant amount of beige carbonation covering a third of the top. I have to admit that they have nailed the hard sourdough pretzel aroma. It tastes like a soggy slightly salty sourdough pretzel. Not sure what I expected but I like my pretzels hot and firm. The mouth is watery and salty.

2.32/5  rDev -31.6%

3.25/5  rDev -4.1%

3.81/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

On tap.
Pleasant but highly unusual aroma and flavor. InBev has taken the pretzel idea seriously and successfully. There's so much good pretzel aroma and flavor here that there much be artificial flavors and aromatics, but they don't strike me as artificial [excepting the buttery aspect].

O: recommended for both quality and uniqueness.

3.94/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.75/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Shock Top Twisted Pretzel Wheat from Anheuser-Busch