Shock Top Twisted Pretzel Wheat | Anheuser-Busch

3.41/5
Alströms:

Reviews by TheSixthRing:
3.33/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance - Pours a relatively clear ruby brown with a khaki, half finger head that fizzes away like soda, revealing a flat, barren surface. No lacing.

Smell - Honestly smells like a salty pretzel. Inviting.

Taste - The taste is a letdown. Still very much pretzel, but also very, weak and watered down.

Mouthfeel - Light-to-medium in body with moderate carbonation. Goes down easy enough with a slightly watery finish.

Overall - I've had worse Shock Top beers. I've also had better. A shame the strong aroma leads to such a letdown in flavor. Not entirely unexpected though.

4.65/5  rDev +36.4%

WHAAAAAAT?! let me start by saying I will ALWAYS try a new shoktop, soooooooo much better than blue moon with their weird flavored beers, blue moon always tastes like a hint of whatever flavored blue moon, shocktop always actually taste like a completely different beer, this one is no exception.

the aroma is the greatest quality of this beer. in fact it's PERFECT. smells like a bready/doughy pretzel with some sugar and cinnamon freshly baked onto the top of it then liquidized and beerified. INSAIN.

the taste isn't as amazing as the smell would imply but it's still pretty stinkin good, definatley worth a 7.99 6 pack, I'd peg this as more of a brown ale then a wheat beer but whatever.

OVERALL: I think sometimes people judge a beer buy who makes it, OBVIOUSLY ANY smart and experienced craft beer drink HATE all the big guys, whoever they are, in this case Anheuser-Busch, hey I know I do. Sometimes even to the point where I won't even try their stupid new gimmicky products, BUT... when have you ever had a beer that was supposed to be flavored like a pretzel, one that tastes and ABSOLUOTLY smells like a warm fresh baked one!??! seriously!? get over your snobbyness, at least every once in a while when something truly UNIQUE comes around, hey if I can overcome my beer snob-ness every now and then, anyone can!! I've liked shocktop for a number of years, long before I even became a craft beer drinker, since then I've tried some of there products that definitely left a lot to be desired but this is the BEST shocktop I've EVER had and the best busch product I will probably ever have again.

3.59/5  rDev +5.3%

Appearance: Pours a semi-clear amber, with little to no head nor lace. Kinda meh.

Aroma: Very much a salty pretzel all the way. Artificial, sure, but pretty well spot-on for a lab recreation of a big warm German pretzel in your face!

Taste: Doesn’t quite match up to the wonderful aroma, but still remains a pretty drinkable beer, with a hint of the saltiness and wheat. Really, fairly well-balanced and drinkable. No problem here (aside from the fact that it’s (a) totally fake and (b) an AB product.

4.16/5  rDev +22%

I'll be damned, but Anheuser-Busch finally brewed a winner under their Shock Top "craft" brand. I love the salty pretzel taste and aroma. It is somewhat watery, but the taste is unique, refreshing and delicious. I came home exhausted and thirsty following a softball game in the heat and humidity and this hit the spot. It was so refreshing that I immediately poured another after finishing the first, and a frosted pub glass is the way to go. A rare bright spot in Anheuser-Busch's predominantly drab lineup of weak imitation craft beers.

4.12/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Yeah, I'm a sucker for novel flavored beers, whether they are good or not. This beer does uncannily smell and taste like a salted soft pretzel. Though the smell is better than the taste. The mouthfeel isn't the best, but still not horrible. This beer might be good with pizza or while eating some sort of junk food. It's not something I would seek out, but if a 6 pack ended up in my house, I'd drink it with pleasure.

4.49/5  rDev +31.7%

I hate how much I love this... No, wait... Actually I don't. I have no problem advocating a beer that I enjoy even if AB brews it...

Pretzels are my go to snack, and my go to beer pairing. Aroma wise, this honestly couldn't smell any more like one. Taste could be richer but nonetheless its heavy on bready malt that actually tastes like sour dough. Faint noble hops. Mouthfeel is crisp.

Overall I would (scratch that - i have bought) certainly buy this again. Stay open minded BA's.

3.93/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

This represents a rare opportunity for me: I am doing back-to-back reviews of the same beer, but from different serving mediums/styles. It used to be, on this website, that serving style was a consideration, but alas, no longer. I just finished one from a bottle, but as anyone who follows me knows, CANs trump all. I scored this one independently and had kind of forgotten it when I found tone77's bottle in abeyance. My elation at being able to review both a CAN & a bottle in succession is unbounded!

I grew up & live in Lancaster, PA & pretzels are a livelihood for our county Amish & Mennonite residents. We always had pretzels available as snacks, as accompaniments to meals, you name it, pretzels were interwoven into our lives. It is part of the reason that I feel such an affinity to the northern Midwest, like Wisconsin, with its German-immigrant population.

From the CAN: "Belgian-Style Wheat Ale brewed with spices and caramel malt and with artificial flavor added"; "Enjoy responsibly[;] Please recycle". Nothing on the CAN about it being a "Limited Edition", so perhaps it has found its way into a regular rotation.

Having just polished off the bottle's contents, it is time for a Crack! & Glug for some CANtents, you malCANtents! Patience. The Crack! was loud & the Glug was picture-perfect, raising two fingers of foamy, rocky, tawny head that fell like a soufflé upon banging the oven door shut. I will NEVER forgive my kitchen classmates in HomeEc for ruining our creation for a grade! Color was a Copper(y)-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22) with initial NE-quality clarity, but I am going to agitate the remaining liquid in the CAN to see if I CAN rouse anything. The best result that I could produce was a light-haziness. Nose was still like the interior of a pretzel factory. It (almost) makes me want to stir out & visit one except that it is so cold this weekend. Salt, pretzels, it was all there. Mouthfeel was thinner than out of the bottle, which puts it squarely as Thin, watery, even. The taste was bready, but not really evocative of a pretzel. Here, I barely got any saltiness, either. What a let-down! Finish was semi-sweet, more malty than salty or pretzel-like. I have a very bad feeling that the original "Limited Edition" bottle proved popular enough to put into rotation, but without some tweaks. The tweaks really ruined it for me as it just did not have the same strong taste. A rarity for me, but bottle trumps CAN in this case!

I have to cop to a guilty pleasure of watching "Party Down South" on CMT in which Ryan "Daddy" Richards is always looking to put "a marlin" in "a pretzel".

From the bottle: "We invite you to try this Limited Edition beer festival brew with friends!"; "To serve, pour down side of glass until 1/2 inch is left in bottle. Swirl and pour remaining brew to release the aroma and flavor. Enjoy!"

Being that it is a Wheat Ale/Witbier, it should exude a cloudiness, so inverted the unopened bottle just to ensure that everything was in suspension before its opening. Speaking of which, I am guessing that it is a screw-top bottle, which means no Pop!ping of the cap. Sure enough. Nothing holds my disdain like a screw-top bottle, so I retaliated with a heavy-handed pour, producing a finger of fizzy, tawny head with limited retention. Color was a cloudy Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17). I found myself laughing in amusement/bemusement at the nose. It smelled just like being in a pretzel bakery! We have many here in Lancaster County, including Hammond's, Martin's and Uncle Henry's and I have visited them all. I feel like I should don a prayer cap while drinking this one! I knew that I should have picked up a bag of pretzels at the store the other day ... Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, not quite watery, but not really remarkable, either. The taste also caused me to smile. It was like a mouthful of salted pretzel! How do they do this?!? I really liked it. It was not at all sweet, like so many others in this series, and it had a saltiness that was different from a Gose, iodized salt as opposed to sea salt. Finish was dry, salted pretzel-like & really amazing. Now, I am anxious to try it from a CAN!

I found it on draft this same day during a visit to the Federal Taphouse (Lancaster).

It had a quickly dissipating finger of fizzy, light-tan head upon arrival. Color was Copper(y)-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was MUCH more pretzel-ish than it was from the CAN. Mouthfeel was thin to medium. A distinct saltiness led the way for a mildly baked breadiness. Warmng, it seemed to increase in its inherent pretzel flavor. I know first-hand what a soft pretzel vs a hard pretzel tastes like and this was definitely like the latter. It was bready, but not in a baked dough sense. There is a real reason that many of us eschew mass-produced pretzels & it is due to their water. This beer, on-tap, could have been a liquefied LNC Co. pretzel. It was dry, bready, slightly salty.

4.36/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

A refreshing twist on trendy flavored beers. Not sweet, not salty, seriously pretzely. I wouldn't down a 6 packer or anything but it's great for a variety night:) YUMMMM... pass the mustard please!

3.58/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.03/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

3.7/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.04/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

This beer really goes overboard on the pretzel flavor. It's a good idea, and it certainly doesn't come off badly, but it is almost cartoonish how desperately this beer wants to taste like pretzel, to the point that it tastes rather artificial. It is light and very carbonated (which its darkness and thick head do not suggest).

3.17/5  rDev -7%

3.99/5  rDev +17%

Tasted at a beer festival. The smell is that of pretzels, which I find amazing. That is where it ends. The taste is very hard to get down and it leaves an awful aftertaste.

2.89/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.04/5  rDev -10.9%

3.76/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured into mouth directly from bottle during hot shower.

Pleasantly surprised by the accuracy of the pretzel smell. Smells more like pretzels than the stale pretzels in my cabinet.

As other reviewers have noted, taste was weak but generally pleasant. However, you can tell that there was a lot put into this beer that normally has no place in a beer to achieve that taste - definitely artificial but not necessarily in a bad way. Flavor improved over time as the finishing notes lingered and blended with the initial notes of the next sip.

Overall interesting beer. Shock Top did a pretty good job with this one.

2.59/5  rDev -24%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Not a huge fan of shocktop and this was just to weird for me.

3.45/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Brown in color with great clarity and vigorous carbonation bubbles erupting from within. There's a scant amount of beige carbonation covering a third of the top. I have to admit that they have nailed the hard sourdough pretzel aroma. It tastes like a soggy slightly salty sourdough pretzel. Not sure what I expected but I like my pretzels hot and firm. The mouth is watery and salty.

2.32/5  rDev -32%

3.25/5  rDev -4.7%

3.81/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

On tap.
Pleasant but highly unusual aroma and flavor. InBev has taken the pretzel idea seriously and successfully. There's so much good pretzel aroma and flavor here that there much be artificial flavors and aromatics, but they don't strike me as artificial [excepting the buttery aspect].

O: recommended for both quality and uniqueness.

3.94/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Shock Top Twisted Pretzel Wheat from Anheuser-Busch