Michelob AmberBock | Anheuser-Busch

Read the review
Michelob AmberBockMichelob AmberBock

Missouri, United States

Style: Bock

Michelob AmberBock is brewed using 100% malt including dark-roasted black and caramel malts and all-imported hops.

Added by unclejimbay on 08-16-2001

Reviews: 678 | Ratings: 1,782

No "Beer Snob" review here. Bottom line is.....you will love it. Winter time beer of choice for me. Stick to your ribs taste. Similar to a Marzen so you can drink like it's Oktoberfest all year long.

Looking for a new beer to try I decided to sample the Amber Bock at the happy hour provided by the hotel I am staying at.

The appearance looked like a dark amber golden color which is nice to look at while drinking this beer.

I loved the hints of caramel and the sweet smell of vanilla. It did not have that skunky smell to it which I find somewhat offensive.

The taste is phenomenal. I could taste the sweetness and bitterness which gave a nice mouthfeel. I allowed the beer to sit in my mouth for 15 seconds and swirled it around a bit and it left me with a refreshing aftertaste. I would drink this beer over a light beer and while its not Leffe its a beer I would not be ashamed of drinking or serving at a party.

Overall this beer gets a 5/5 because the price is right, you are getting an American Bock Beer which can be served at anytime during the year with various foods. It was so good I asked for a second pour. With a lemon it gives a citrus aspect to the overall taste.

4.75/5  rDev +65.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

As an early "boomer," I was a sucker for PBR-Bock (seasonal - can). Michelob, Amberbock is better quality at the right price... Excellent beer relative to my tastes. I like a darker tasting, heavier beer but not more than one traditional Guinness.

4.65/5  rDev +62%

This beer is farmost one of my most favored domestic beers in the United States. Since I am not a fan of light beers, this is a nice dark beer. It is not to dark, where it is hard to drink. The beer is very easy to drink and has a great taste. If I were to walk into a beer distributor 9 times out of 10 I would walk out with this beer. I recommend this beer to everyone, it is truely a great beer.

4.5/5  rDev +56.8%

friends told me to try this beer and i did and i liked it. Pretty even thick and balanced taste, not overpowering, but not at all watered down. i'm sure this would be good on tap, i'll let you know when i get a chance to try it. but you should try one and suprise yourself, maybe michelob should break off anheiser, they actually know a little about a descent beer.

4.47/5  rDev +55.7%

Amazing, it isn't bitter, looks great, smells perfect, & tastes even better. As smooth a beer as I've ever had. This was my first bock and I'll be heading to the store tonight to find some others, because this is one of the greatest brews I've ever seen.

4.46/5  rDev +55.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'm 55, and tried alot of different dark beers/lagers/stouts over the years, of all I've tried, this one is my favorite, even knowing it's water source is criticized by most folk, I really like the taste better than most dark beers, just the right amount of carbonation, without too much bitterness, I think the only one better has to be imported,,, Guinness.

4.45/5  rDev +55.1%

This is a very good beer on draft, I do not care for the bottle.I used to drink Killian Red and after I tried AB i was sold!!!
AmberBock is a 5.2% abv amber lager which uses roasted black barley malt in the ingredients, and which received a World Beer Cup Bronze Medal in 1998.

4.43/5  rDev +54.4%

I've had it both in a bottle, and on tap. It pores like other bock styles, nice dark/rich color and moderate size head. The aroma had a maltiness to it, with almost a chocolate hint. The finish is a heavier, filling taste while still keeping you wanting more. It's my favorite winter time, by the bon fire beer. It gives you all the fill you want without being completely bitter and so heavy that you feel like you need to take out a knife to cut through it.

4.42/5  rDev +54%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours dark brown with a light head. Smells sweet like caramel with a hint of nuttiness. Tastes sweet like caramel and nuts. This is one of my favorite beers, not an everyday drinker but a great change of pace from you're average beer in that it is sweet and lacks the hoppy bitterness of most beers.

4.35/5  rDev +51.6%

For anyone who doesn't want your typical American watered down beer, but can't appreciate a full Euro-style dark beer, this is a perfect 'tweener' beer. After I started drinking Amber Bock, I couldn't go back to the typical US beer. Is it the perfect beer? No- but if you appreciate some flavor, without the bitterness of a thick style brew, give MAB a try. One of the things I appreciate most about it is there is no nasty 'aftertaste' that lingers like most mirobrews, and even many macros. The taste when it first hits your tongue is the same all the way through after swallowing.

4.35/5  rDev +51.6%

Appearance - This beer is a solid Amber color, slightly darker than your typical Red Lagers, looks beautiful in dim rooms, extremely clear even though it is dark. The head pours 3-4 fingers everytime, and dissipates within a few minutes.

Smell - Toasted Malts and caramel with a light hint of hops, very appealing to me.

Taste - Begins sweet, noticeably smooth and extremely well balanced, there is a hint of bitterness with no lingering aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Feels extremely light in the mouth, however the carbonation is perfect, it lacks a noticeable presence and body.

Drinkability - I could drink this beer non-stop all day for a week, which is extremely rare of any beer I drink, alcohol content is low enough, yet the taste is pleasant and balanced for me to keep drinking over and over again.

4.3/5  rDev +49.8%

My go to beer at my usual bar best off the tap but ive only seen it at one place.

Look:Dark amber as advertised. Pours a decent head. Dissipates fairly quickly.
Smell: Malty which is my preferred smell for a beer.
A little hops and grainy bread perhaps.

Taste: A little bitter even less sweet. Malty. As i said one of my favorites much better than any American macros. I buy on tap in a schooner you can tell it's gonna get you after two. Bottles are a bit less intriguing.

Feel: Crisp refreshing for me definitely a cold day beer.

Overall a good brew I always recommend it to anyone that doesnt want a bud.

4.29/5  rDev +49.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Michelob AmberBock brewed by Anheuser-Busch with an ABV of 5.2% This brew pours a nice brown color with a nice white head. The smell is rich with grains and malts. There also some sweetness in the smell. The taste is bold with flavor. There is a lot going on in this brew. Nice taste of grains and malts. There is nothing over powering in this brew. Michelob AmberBock has a nice balance to it. The mouthfeel is nice and clean. This is a real refreshing brew,Anheuser-Busch did a nice job with this one. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4.5 out of 5. I would buy this brew again.

4.29/5  rDev +49.5%

This beer has one of the best after tastes in my opinion. Rather smooth and easy to drink. Has a nice hint of caramel. A very sweet taste to it. It says its a dark lager but isn't as dark as expected. Overall very good. Tops on my list. Would definitely recommend to anyone that hasnt given it a try.

4.28/5  rDev +49.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

my first dark beer 30 years ago. Had again today very nice dark amber brown. malty slightly sweet smell. Taste follows aroma with a hint of caramel. very good beer. This Shiner bock and honey brown are my go to beers. I have tried a few micro brews and others, still come back to this for best taste to me.

4.28/5  rDev +49.1%

got it as a gift from a job.. didnt know if i would like michelobs amber bock.. had bocks before but was impressed with the taste.. like this beer alot and went out and got a six pack.. hard to find by me when i see it i buy it..

nice head when poured in to glass.. buetyful color.. and great taste.. the after taste was a nice sweet after taste

4.25/5  rDev +48.1%

Took a chance on it since the store I stopped at didn't have shiner bock. Good tasting beer smells of floral and caramel notes. Not as good as shiner but a lot smoother and easier to drink than some bocks. Can taste the caramel and corn tastes. No skunk to it. Goes down easy around a fire. Found myself drinking the whole case

4.25/5  rDev +48.1%

I can't drink regular American pale macro lagers, because there's no taste at all. Amberbock appears to be an attempt to appeal to folks who want a bit more flavor without being full-on IPA bitter. They succeeded pretty well. I like this beer as a standard lawn-mowing brew instead of the unacceptable insipid pee-water pales. I'm not a beer snob, but I demand the beer talks to me. It needs a flavor, and this one has it. Just sharp enough, fair mouth feel and the aftertaste, though a bit sweet, is acceptable. As for color, I can't tell you. I drink this right out of the bottle. Like I said, I'm definitely not a beer snob.

4.24/5  rDev +47.7%

Appearance: Thin white head that dissapears quickly, dark brown but red in the light (an "Amber" bock that's a dark lager? hmm) a nice color though.

Smell: Dark but not as loud as some others, distinct but not overbearing, I like it.

Taste: Again you'll know it's a dark lager the moment it hits your lips, but not overpowering, nice subtle flavors.

Mouthfeel: Great beer, goes down easy, fantastic aftertaste.

Drinkability: Very satisfying, a fine beer for any beer drinker that is sure to please.

Overall: I'm a definite fan of this beer now, and I will definitely buy it again. The best macro beer thus far I've had, and one of the few I actually recommend.

4.2/5  rDev +46.3%

Only Michelob product I will touch. Definitely one of my go to brews when a serious session is in order. It is a good example of an American Bock beer and goes down extremely easy.

A - dark brownish color

T- Carmel malts and sweet. A little watery also.

4.18/5  rDev +45.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had a pint glass of this beer on tap. Only tried it because the bar I was in had the usual swill on tap and this was the only interesting beer. Not a fan by any means of ANYTHING brewed by A-B, but l like bock and wanted to give it a try.

Color is a darker amber, the taste was actually pretty good. Not really a bock beer imo, but a good dark lager would be a more appropriate type. Has a sweet, malty taste with a clean, refreshing finish. This would even be a good summer beer as it has that clean, lighter taste for a "bock" beer. I would even buy a case of this...not bad at all.

4.13/5  rDev +43.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

Ok. There are two major types of Beer drinkers. Beer snobs and Beer Geeks. Fuck a beer snob. Beer snobs say stupid shit like, Im a hop head, or macro=evil...Give me a break. The worst part about Michelob? They changed the bottle from the original design. Look, if you want a deep complex expirience buy some micro/can't buy any day but Thursday and Tuesday and its a limit of 1 per customer/we made a new beer out of fish ass and stop reading this.If you enjoy beer than this is a good/best american lager in the bock style. There is no lacing and it pours a damn full soda-ish head. It tastes good. Like a good beer, but its a Michelob! Its like 6 bucks a 6 pack and at 5.1% its decent. Look. I'm a beer Geek. That means I love beer. Fuck the beer snob s who judge. Do yourself a favor and buy a six pack of Michelob the next time your reaching for that $9.50 22 ounce Muffin Top/Space Cake and drink some god damned beer. Thank me later.

I had this for the first time in a while a couple of days ago and I always seem to get it on tap. I had it at The Biergarten at Anheuser Busch in St. Louis (so right at the source). As stated it was on tap and served in the new Michelob AmberBock snifter glass. It was a lot better than I remembered from the previous times I've had it. It seemed pretty complex and it went very well with the brat and soft pretzel sticks I ordered.

i like it!! :) had a good buzz going at 30oz. :). (and i weigh in at 240 pounds.) i'll have another one!
i am a novice drinker even though i am in my 60's and never really cared for beer. this one drinks nicely and was enjoyable to drink. my little brother has much more experience with beer (and drinking in general) and i am going to ask him to taste this one. is that enough letters now???

Michelob AmberBock from Anheuser-Busch