Michelob AmberBock | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Bock

Michelob AmberBock is brewed using 100% malt including dark-roasted black and caramel malts and all-imported hops.

Added by unclejimbay on 08-16-2001

Reviews: 684 | Ratings: 1,803
3.91/5  rDev +36.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Finally found a 6-pack for sale at the local liquor store, and of course seeing as the price was $7.49 for a 6 pack of bottles, I had to give these a try.

Smell has a faint malt taste to it, and roasted nuts smell. Taste was very surprising-- it was very mellow! In fact, very mellow for any style of dark beer. I detected malt, grass, and very little hops. Feel is surprisingly light for a dark beer, good carbonation, very smooth and minimal aftertaste. Beer was refreshing overall.

Overall this beer is 'surprising' in more ways than one to me. For starters, AB made a dark beer-- I was surprised in that fact alone, but after trying it I believe it is not a true bock-- but more like a Black and Tan beer, (mixing a dark beer like a porter with a light beer) a more appropriate name might have been 'Michelob Ultra Black and Tan'.

I am also surprised in how drinkable this beer is-- a very light feel despite having the good dark beer taste. Granted, I prefer to have a bit more dark beer taste, but it's light feel is a fair tradeoff. This might be the perfect dark beer to enjoy on a very hot day at a cookout, or when you want to drink a lighter version of a dark beer.

And last, I am surprised that AB finally got the pricing right with this beer-- $7.49 for a 6 pack, a great value when compared to $6.99 for the Macrobrew Bud products for a 6 pack. Which brings up another use for this beer-- dark beer drinkers on a tight budget.... Overall good job AB, never thought I would end up saying that!

3.26/5  rDev +13.6%

Light malt on the nose. Nice dark amber color. Almost like ice tea.

Taste is lightly sweet. Not much hop profile. Not really a bock. Maybe mix a light beer and half a weak bock and you get this.

That being said. Not a bad sessionable beer. Not great tasting but not bad either. Sort of mediocre.

I like Trogenator as an example of a good bock. This guy isn't even close - but sort of nice in a light beer way.

4.26/5  rDev +48.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Look: Brown
Foamy: Pours very foamy but settles down pretty quick.
Smell: Beer smell, like a weaker porter. Malt is evident right away.
Taste: Hey Hey Hey! For a beer produced by a global greed factory, damn good.
More: I love it! I can usually get a 12 pack of bottles for 11.49 American Dollars. That works out to less than a dollar a beer.
At a poor boy price, this is unusually good beer. Tastes great even when at room temperature.
How many Greed Factory beers can you drink warm? Not many.

Great deal and has an embossed logo on the bottle for a touch of class!

4.6/5  rDev +60.3%

Toasty and Smoky, very enjoyable, really really liked it, of my top 10, with 5,2% ABV you can only drink a couple before getting heavy on it, but still, i need to try more beers to come across a better one to rate, Guinness tops it for example.

2.9/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Very thin in mouth feel and taste for a "bock"- it's not really a bock, it's a generic "dark" beer. It's not terrible. I often drink it on tap if the other selections in a bar are light beers or Bud. But it's a poor selection if you actually want a true bock beer.

4.46/5  rDev +55.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'm 55, and tried alot of different dark beers/lagers/stouts over the years, of all I've tried, this one is my favorite, even knowing it's water source is criticized by most folk, I really like the taste better than most dark beers, just the right amount of carbonation, without too much bitterness, I think the only one better has to be imported,,, Guinness.

3.34/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

It's good but there isn't anything that makes it stand out. It's beer with a smoother finish, and a medium body.

Taste Rating in Words: Just a blade of grass, in a field of grass, as far as the eye can see.

2.8/5  rDev -2.4%

DATE: July 8, 2016... OCCASION: watching BattleBots on a Friday night with the fam... GLASSWARE: Michelob pokal... pours a dark amber, almost mahogany body that is nonetheless translucent, framing out a healthy amount of effervescence... the creamy white head sits ably, with variable bubbles... surprisingly robust plum and malt, though sugars suggest a macro birth... a soft, drinkably swift rush is provided, much like a flat soda... the taste is heavy in toasted malts, with plum, apple, and enough caramel to provide a true sweetness... some molasses as well... I find this beer to be above meager expectations, with its flavor profile sweet and sessionable, as a compliment to foods or as a succession of brews...

1.9/5  rDev -33.8%

I mainly use this beer for marinating bratwurst before putting them on the grill. Don't care to drink it but it does give the bratwurst a good flavor!

4.25/5  rDev +48.1%

I can't drink regular American pale macro lagers, because there's no taste at all. Amberbock appears to be an attempt to appeal to folks who want a bit more flavor without being full-on IPA bitter. They succeeded pretty well. I like this beer as a standard lawn-mowing brew instead of the unacceptable insipid pee-water pales. I'm not a beer snob, but I demand the beer talks to me. It needs a flavor, and this one has it. Just sharp enough, fair mouth feel and the aftertaste, though a bit sweet, is acceptable. As for color, I can't tell you. I drink this right out of the bottle. Like I said, I'm definitely not a beer snob.

4.3/5  rDev +49.8%

My go to beer at my usual bar best off the tap but ive only seen it at one place.

Look:Dark amber as advertised. Pours a decent head. Dissipates fairly quickly.
Smell: Malty which is my preferred smell for a beer.
A little hops and grainy bread perhaps.

Taste: A little bitter even less sweet. Malty. As i said one of my favorites much better than any American macros. I buy on tap in a schooner you can tell it's gonna get you after two. Bottles are a bit less intriguing.

Feel: Crisp refreshing for me definitely a cold day beer.

Overall a good brew I always recommend it to anyone that doesnt want a bud.

1.81/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Tried this recently and was not impressed at all. Not sure if I'm just not into this style or had a bad six pack, but didn't care for this beer.

L- Poured into a 16 oz. pint glass, looked like a reddish brown Budweiser. Barely any head, and disappeared fast. Not much lacing, if any. Dark amber color overall.
S- Musty, moldy, some corn smell. Not a good smelling beer at all.
T- Taste was stale, watery. Pretty much followed the nose of it.
F- Light and watery mouthfeel, not bad for an amber style. Medium bodied overall.
O- Just didn't like this beer. I may give it another chance later on, but for now I can't recommend it to anyone.

3.49/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

AmberBock pours a dark amber color with a decently sized lacing head. Weaker aroma, but it has a sweet maltyness to it. Taste is sweeter, maltier. Easy to drink. Overall very pleasantly surprised.

4.28/5  rDev +49.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

my first dark beer 30 years ago. Had again today very nice dark amber brown. malty slightly sweet smell. Taste follows aroma with a hint of caramel. very good beer. This Shiner bock and honey brown are my go to beers. I have tried a few micro brews and others, still come back to this for best taste to me.

3.15/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Good restaurant beer when the pickens are slim. Formula seems about right, all malt and darker color which implies a richer flavor. Wish they'd chosen the malt differently though, an underlying roasted bitter edge comes through which one would think they would've wanted to avoid in a brew for the masses. Pleasant color, enough flavor to notice, a safe choice when choice is limited.

For a dollar more than a six of Bud maybe, priced up near craft range definitely not.

Dark brown, not a thick beer, just the color is that way, beige head, 3/4" deep. Aroma hit the chestnuts roasting on an open fire vibe.

Taste was decent, bitterness, sweet malt, thin body. Tiny bit of caramel/toffee going on.

Middle of the road. Sometimes this is the best beer at the bar.

4.42/5  rDev +54%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours dark brown with a light head. Smells sweet like caramel with a hint of nuttiness. Tastes sweet like caramel and nuts. This is one of my favorite beers, not an everyday drinker but a great change of pace from you're average beer in that it is sweet and lacks the hoppy bitterness of most beers.

3.37/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 12oz bottle with no freshness or bottling date into standard pint glass.

L: Reddish brown, head dissipates quickly into thin layer. Very clear.

S: Rich malt, almost molasses sweetness, little to no malt aroma.

T: Strong malt character, tiny bit of hops. Sweet.

F: Thin, crisp. Easy drinker here.

O: Not a bock. Decent beer. Thin almost watery.

2.69/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pours a thin head on a clear dark straw body.
The aroma is faint caramel... and nothing.
The taste is caramel sweetness, then candy sweetness. Not a hint of bitterness to balance it out.
The texture is sticky and fizzy.
Not great.

2.88/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pleasantly surprised, as I was expecting this to suck. Pours medium brown with thin head, light malty aroma, taste is malt, caramel, slightly nutty. Mild bitterness and faint lingering flavor. Kudos to Bud for making something drinkable.

3.08/5  rDev +7.3%

Received in trade from gregwilsonstl, Thanks?
Crystal clear deep copper color.
Big caramel with hints of fig and burnt sugar. Not horrible, a bit of a joke that this got sent out, but really not half bad if a bit too malty.

1.22/5  rDev -57.5%

The first time I tried this beer was on tap in Newburg, OR in 2003. The bar had just purchased it for the first time on tap. My buddy ordered one, and it was so bad that none of the 12 broke college guys (including me) would finish the pint!

Three years later, an Army buddy brought a 6 pack to a party at my house. He drank one, then chose to drink my PBR for the rest of the night. The remaining 5 lived in the back of the fridge until right before my next deployment. The Amber Bock was the "sucks to be you" beer in the bottom of the drink-o board. And I'm pretty sure we still poured one out on the lawn.

Basically, the beer tastes like caramel water. There is no mouthfeel other than carbonation.

1.6/5  rDev -44.3%

After trying the Michelob Light, I thought I would try their Amber Bock. I even poured it into a small glass, rather than only use the bottle. It poured a nice brown, looked like tea. Foamy head that dissipated rather quickly. No aroma. There, doesn't that info. help you to understand this beer?? No, me either.

The flavor was acceptable, although I would not say it was great. It certainly had flavor, rather than being simple water, like their Light. The flavor was not strong or great, but it was a flavor. I appreciated it after having not found anything with their Light. If compared to any German beer, especially any Octoberfest, this beer pales to nothing. German beer offers flavor, aroma and character that is absolutely missing in all other beers. If you want thyme, pumpkin and nutmeg in your beer, try a microbrew. If you want a beer that does not have anything in the way of flavor or aroma, try American macrobrews.

If you want a good beer, start in Germany.

This Michelob was acceptable. I might even try it again.

10/2016 - real bad news - they use GMO corn (and rice - in beer???) in their brew. Sorry, I cant go for that, regardless of the reason(s) they give. Corporations say GMO is "not bad". Sure, I believe them, remember how cigarette companies said cigarettes werent bad for us???

1.02/5  rDev -64.5%

I was born in 1956 in Wisconsin and have been drinking beer for a LONG time. This beer is so bad I signed up for Beer Advocate just to tell you how bad this beer is. It has all the depth of a glass of water with some caramel coloring added to it. It has no obvious smell, no describable taste, and no mouth feel whatsoever, except the feeling like I just got gyped out of $7.59. To be completely fair, there is an unpleasant metallic after taste after a burp or two. Honestly, with my eyes closed my first impression was it was Miller Light, but then the alcohol content proved me wrong. It was right next to the Guiness Stout in the cooler at the corner store. Should have gone for that.

3.48/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass

A - clear, amber mahogany brown beer with white head that dissipates quickly. 3.5/5

S - toasted malt, light hops. slight savory note. dark bread. 3.5/5

T - dark bread. toasted caramelization. dark maltiness. 3.5/5

M - light to medium body. light carbonation tickle. moderate carbonation. 3.25/5

O - Probably one of the best offerings that I've tasted from Anheuser-Busch. Very enjoyable beer and light for such a dark beer. 3.5/5

Michelob AmberBock from Anheuser-Busch