Michelob AmberBock | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Bock

Michelob AmberBock is brewed using 100% malt including dark-roasted black and caramel malts and all-imported hops.

Added by unclejimbay on 08-16-2001

Ratings: 1,833 |  Reviews: 687

No discernable hops, other than a vague bitterness. Finish was a raw, grain character. Primary flavoring agent seemed to be alcohol. Run Will Robinson, Run!

1.02/5  rDev -64.6%

I was born in 1956 in Wisconsin and have been drinking beer for a LONG time. This beer is so bad I signed up for Beer Advocate just to tell you how bad this beer is. It has all the depth of a glass of water with some caramel coloring added to it. It has no obvious smell, no describable taste, and no mouth feel whatsoever, except the feeling like I just got gyped out of $7.59. To be completely fair, there is an unpleasant metallic after taste after a burp or two. Honestly, with my eyes closed my first impression was it was Miller Light, but then the alcohol content proved me wrong. It was right next to the Guiness Stout in the cooler at the corner store. Should have gone for that.

1.08/5  rDev -62.5%

I usually stay away from BMC but I thought I'd give this one a try since it was cheap and I like bock style. I should have known better than to be so easily mislead. This beer is terrible, let me explain why.

The beer pours a totally flat stained wood mahogany color. Notice that the stain color isn't good. This beer seems dangerous and oddly unnatural. The head is a dull beige. Fizzy and quickly disseminates. The label on the beer says it pours a tall head. That's a tall tale.

I smell poor quality grain malts. Adjunct malts. Corn and rice. A typical AB product. There is a slight roasted smell. A distant smell of low quality coffee and sugar. There is a nauseous alcohol smell. There are no discernable hops.

This beer taste poor. The malts are so heavy handed and brash they leave no room for the flavor to develop. This taste nothing like the bock's I am used to. The alcohol isn't well concealed. I call this the King Cobra Bock. I can't drink this.

The mouthfeel is harsh and poorly balanced. It's too carbonated for the style and finishes with the typical AB "ugh" taste.

Totally undrinkable psuedo bock. I would rather just drink a Bud light. I highly discourage the drinking of this beer.

1.22/5  rDev -57.6%

The first time I tried this beer was on tap in Newburg, OR in 2003. The bar had just purchased it for the first time on tap. My buddy ordered one, and it was so bad that none of the 12 broke college guys (including me) would finish the pint!

Three years later, an Army buddy brought a 6 pack to a party at my house. He drank one, then chose to drink my PBR for the rest of the night. The remaining 5 lived in the back of the fridge until right before my next deployment. The Amber Bock was the "sucks to be you" beer in the bottom of the drink-o board. And I'm pretty sure we still poured one out on the lawn.

Basically, the beer tastes like caramel water. There is no mouthfeel other than carbonation.

1.24/5  rDev -56.9%

Pours a dark brown with a decent head and some lacing. Smell is of a typical macro lager, but with some roasted grain and maybe a hint of some coffee. There is maybe a little bit of coffee in the taste, hard to sense any hops even though the label suggests a perfect balance of hops, saying that this taste existed in this beer is just being nice, it just tasted so off, I expected a lot more from this. Mouthfeel was overcarbonated and on the thin side. Drinkability was awful to me, I thought at the very least this would be drinkable, but I just do not care for this, it is almost a task to finish.

1.25/5  rDev -56.6%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Michelob AmberBock from Anheuser-Busch