Love Belgian Beer?

Michelob AmberBockMichelob AmberBock

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: Bock

Michelob AmberBock is brewed using 100% malt including dark-roasted black and caramel malts and all-imported hops.

Added by unclejimbay on 08-16-2001

Reviews: 676 | Ratings: 1,771
2.8/5  rDev -2.4%

DATE: July 8, 2016... OCCASION: watching BattleBots on a Friday night with the fam... GLASSWARE: Michelob pokal... pours a dark amber, almost mahogany body that is nonetheless translucent, framing out a healthy amount of effervescence... the creamy white head sits ably, with variable bubbles... surprisingly robust plum and malt, though sugars suggest a macro birth... a soft, drinkably swift rush is provided, much like a flat soda... the taste is heavy in toasted malts, with plum, apple, and enough caramel to provide a true sweetness... some molasses as well... I find this beer to be above meager expectations, with its flavor profile sweet and sessionable, as a compliment to foods or as a succession of brews...

1.9/5  rDev -33.8%

I mainly use this beer for marinating bratwurst before putting them on the grill. Don't care to drink it but it does give the bratwurst a good flavor!

4.25/5  rDev +48.1%

I can't drink regular American pale macro lagers, because there's no taste at all. Amberbock appears to be an attempt to appeal to folks who want a bit more flavor without being full-on IPA bitter. They succeeded pretty well. I like this beer as a standard lawn-mowing brew instead of the unacceptable insipid pee-water pales. I'm not a beer snob, but I demand the beer talks to me. It needs a flavor, and this one has it. Just sharp enough, fair mouth feel and the aftertaste, though a bit sweet, is acceptable. As for color, I can't tell you. I drink this right out of the bottle. Like I said, I'm definitely not a beer snob.

4.3/5  rDev +49.8%

My go to beer at my usual bar best off the tap but ive only seen it at one place.

Look:Dark amber as advertised. Pours a decent head. Dissipates fairly quickly.
Smell: Malty which is my preferred smell for a beer.
A little hops and grainy bread perhaps.

Taste: A little bitter even less sweet. Malty. As i said one of my favorites much better than any American macros. I buy on tap in a schooner you can tell it's gonna get you after two. Bottles are a bit less intriguing.

Feel: Crisp refreshing for me definitely a cold day beer.

Overall a good brew I always recommend it to anyone that doesnt want a bud.

1.81/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Tried this recently and was not impressed at all. Not sure if I'm just not into this style or had a bad six pack, but didn't care for this beer.

L- Poured into a 16 oz. pint glass, looked like a reddish brown Budweiser. Barely any head, and disappeared fast. Not much lacing, if any. Dark amber color overall.
S- Musty, moldy, some corn smell. Not a good smelling beer at all.
T- Taste was stale, watery. Pretty much followed the nose of it.
F- Light and watery mouthfeel, not bad for an amber style. Medium bodied overall.
O- Just didn't like this beer. I may give it another chance later on, but for now I can't recommend it to anyone.

3.49/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

AmberBock pours a dark amber color with a decently sized lacing head. Weaker aroma, but it has a sweet maltyness to it. Taste is sweeter, maltier. Easy to drink. Overall very pleasantly surprised.

4.28/5  rDev +49.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

my first dark beer 30 years ago. Had again today very nice dark amber brown. malty slightly sweet smell. Taste follows aroma with a hint of caramel. very good beer. This Shiner bock and honey brown are my go to beers. I have tried a few micro brews and others, still come back to this for best taste to me.

3.15/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Good restaurant beer when the pickens are slim. Formula seems about right, all malt and darker color which implies a richer flavor. Wish they'd chosen the malt differently though, an underlying roasted bitter edge comes through which one would think they would've wanted to avoid in a brew for the masses. Pleasant color, enough flavor to notice, a safe choice when choice is limited.

For a dollar more than a six of Bud maybe, priced up near craft range definitely not.

Dark brown, not a thick beer, just the color is that way, beige head, 3/4" deep. Aroma hit the chestnuts roasting on an open fire vibe.

Taste was decent, bitterness, sweet malt, thin body. Tiny bit of caramel/toffee going on.

Middle of the road. Sometimes this is the best beer at the bar.

4.42/5  rDev +54%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours dark brown with a light head. Smells sweet like caramel with a hint of nuttiness. Tastes sweet like caramel and nuts. This is one of my favorite beers, not an everyday drinker but a great change of pace from you're average beer in that it is sweet and lacks the hoppy bitterness of most beers.

2.69/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pours a thin head on a clear dark straw body.
The aroma is faint caramel... and nothing.
The taste is caramel sweetness, then candy sweetness. Not a hint of bitterness to balance it out.
The texture is sticky and fizzy.
Not great.

2.88/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pleasantly surprised, as I was expecting this to suck. Pours medium brown with thin head, light malty aroma, taste is malt, caramel, slightly nutty. Mild bitterness and faint lingering flavor. Kudos to Bud for making something drinkable.

3.08/5  rDev +7.3%

Received in trade from gregwilsonstl, Thanks?
Crystal clear deep copper color.
Big caramel with hints of fig and burnt sugar. Not horrible, a bit of a joke that this got sent out, but really not half bad if a bit too malty.

1.22/5  rDev -57.5%

The first time I tried this beer was on tap in Newburg, OR in 2003. The bar had just purchased it for the first time on tap. My buddy ordered one, and it was so bad that none of the 12 broke college guys (including me) would finish the pint!

Three years later, an Army buddy brought a 6 pack to a party at my house. He drank one, then chose to drink my PBR for the rest of the night. The remaining 5 lived in the back of the fridge until right before my next deployment. The Amber Bock was the "sucks to be you" beer in the bottom of the drink-o board. And I'm pretty sure we still poured one out on the lawn.

Basically, the beer tastes like caramel water. There is no mouthfeel other than carbonation.

1.88/5  rDev -34.5%

After trying the Michelob Light, I thought I would try their Amber Bock. I even poured it into a small glass, rather than only use the bottle. It poured a nice brown, looked like tea. Foamy head that dissipated rather quickly. No aroma. There, doesn't that info. help you to understand this beer?? No, me either.

The flavor was acceptable, although I would not say it was great. It certainly had flavor, rather than being simple water, like their Light. The flavor was not strong or great, but it was a flavor. I appreciated it after having not found anything with their Light. If compared to any German beer, especially any Octoberfest, this beer pales to nothing. German beer offers flavor, aroma and character that is absolutely missing in all other beers. If you want thyme, pumpkin and nutmeg in your beer, try a microbrew. If you want a beer that does not have anything in the way of flavor or aroma, try American macrobrews.

If you want a good beer, start in Germany.

This Michelob was acceptable. I might even try it again.

1.02/5  rDev -64.5%

I was born in 1956 in Wisconsin and have been drinking beer for a LONG time. This beer is so bad I signed up for Beer Advocate just to tell you how bad this beer is. It has all the depth of a glass of water with some caramel coloring added to it. It has no obvious smell, no describable taste, and no mouth feel whatsoever, except the feeling like I just got gyped out of $7.59. To be completely fair, there is an unpleasant metallic after taste after a burp or two. Honestly, with my eyes closed my first impression was it was Miller Light, but then the alcohol content proved me wrong. It was right next to the Guiness Stout in the cooler at the corner store. Should have gone for that.

3.48/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass

A - clear, amber mahogany brown beer with white head that dissipates quickly. 3.5/5

S - toasted malt, light hops. slight savory note. dark bread. 3.5/5

T - dark bread. toasted caramelization. dark maltiness. 3.5/5

M - light to medium body. light carbonation tickle. moderate carbonation. 3.25/5

O - Probably one of the best offerings that I've tasted from Anheuser-Busch. Very enjoyable beer and light for such a dark beer. 3.5/5

3.26/5  rDev +13.6%

Ok my first rating, here we go:

Grade: C+, but with minimal effort.

Look: Very dark with hints of red, A very petty beer.

Smell: Malt with some dark metallic hints kind of like molasses. Can smell the corn.

Taste: Malty with a little too much hops for a dark lager, the biggest problem is that you can taste the corn in it.

Feel: Way too much carb, can't really drink more than two of these at a time

Overall: Drinkable, and technical a dark lager, the place where this shines is the price. You could really take this to a tailgate and enjoy something different, and not feel too bad about giving one or two away.

4.13/5  rDev +43.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

Ok. There are two major types of Beer drinkers. Beer snobs and Beer Geeks. Fuck a beer snob. Beer snobs say stupid shit like, Im a hop head, or macro=evil...Give me a break. The worst part about Michelob? They changed the bottle from the original design. Look, if you want a deep complex expirience buy some micro/can't buy any day but Thursday and Tuesday and its a limit of 1 per customer/we made a new beer out of fish ass and stop reading this.If you enjoy beer than this is a good/best american lager in the bock style. There is no lacing and it pours a damn full soda-ish head. It tastes good. Like a good beer, but its a Michelob! Its like 6 bucks a 6 pack and at 5.1% its decent. Look. I'm a beer Geek. That means I love beer. Fuck the beer snob s who judge. Do yourself a favor and buy a six pack of Michelob the next time your reaching for that $9.50 22 ounce Muffin Top/Space Cake and drink some god damned beer. Thank me later.

3.56/5  rDev +24%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Amazing. One of my favorite american Macro beers, but never reviewed it. Pours a nice caramel color. Slight amber on the nose. Taste is simple, but delicious. I like this beer any time of year. Very underated in my opinion.

2.9/5  rDev +1%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. This beer pours a brown color with a light tan head. It has an OK flavor but rather weak for a bock style. Not a great beer, there are many better than this one out there to enjoy.

2.75/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Look: Pours a reddish brown, clear, with thin off white head

Smell: Clean nose with light malts, nothing too strong

Taste: Malt sweetness, very little depth, light hop bitterness

Feel: Good carbonation, light body

Overall: Not bad, but could be so much more. Might be ok as a gateway beer for someone

2.44/5  rDev -15%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Michelob is cheap swill. I am a craft beer fanatic and a hop lover. I know what to expect with this one and I will be honest.

Look: Looks identical to Coca-Cola, aside from the head which dissipates rapidly. When held to the light you see a dark amber and reddish hue.

Smell: Smells like watery malt extract.

Taste: Tastes like watery malt extract and a tiny bit of sweetness. One dimensional.

Feel: Thin and watery with a touch of carbonation.

Overall: The only reason I buy this beer occasionally is because my father used to drink it as a quick and easy standby. Michelob is cheap swill.

I had this for the first time in a while a couple of days ago and I always seem to get it on tap. I had it at The Biergarten at Anheuser Busch in St. Louis (so right at the source). As stated it was on tap and served in the new Michelob AmberBock snifter glass. It was a lot better than I remembered from the previous times I've had it. It seemed pretty complex and it went very well with the brat and soft pretzel sticks I ordered.

3.3/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Clear, dark or burnt orange, with weak white head. Nutty, bready aroma. Caramel, bread, toast, and sweet somewhat tart malts to the taste. Can't really sense any hops. Clean for the style. Decent level of carbonation. A crisp lager, it seems thin at first, but bubbles really thicken and smooth it out. Nothing harsh about it. Used to be one of my favorite beers, back when I didn't have much for options. Still good for what it is.

Michelob AmberBock from Anheuser-Busch