Michelob AmberBock | Anheuser-Busch

Read the review
Michelob AmberBockMichelob AmberBock

Missouri, United States

Style: Bock

Michelob AmberBock is brewed using 100% malt including dark-roasted black and caramel malts and all-imported hops.

Added by unclejimbay on 08-16-2001

Reviews: 678 | Ratings: 1,781
2.33/5  rDev -18.8%

This was my only choice other than Bud/Bud Light/Mic Ultra at a minor league game tonight. It poured a medium tan color and formed a foam light tan head that left no lace of course to speak of. The aroma very lightly of malt. The flavor was of malt and a sweetness I couldn't place. Much lighter than a bock should be and shared none of the traits you usually find in a bock beer.

2.03/5  rDev -29.3%

This seems like standard A-B fare to me with a bit of additional coloration. The taste is standard Bud with a little more body and perhaps a somewhat greater sense of quality in the aroma and appearance. I just can't escape that standard taste in every A-B product I sample. BTB, barely.

1.38/5  rDev -51.9%

I chose a pseudo-craft beer as my 100th review. One of our duties as reviewers is to warn the unsuspecting, so here goes. I sampled this horrible brew at The Tiki Bar, an outdoor grill on the beach on Marco Island. Michelob was test-marketing Amber Bock in several states and it was my misfortune for having vacationed in Florida at this time. It was a sunny and balmy afternoon. Bikini clad beauties were bouncing around, showing off what they had developed over the winter (quite a distraction from my relaxed reading and quite the chore of appearing disinterested with my girlfriend's harsh glare beating down upon the back of my neck). The smell of grilled shrimp and burgers wafted over me, exciting my remaining senses. I wandered over to the Tiki and noticed, with curious interest, Michelob Amber Bock on tap. Hmmm! How bad could it be? Well, despite my most excellent surroundings and laissez-faire attitude, the answer, to be kind is disgusting! Flat dark tan in color and rapidly vanishing off-white head. Sweet sugary malt and soaked corncob aroma. The pasty-mealy malt is difficult to swallow. This bland, sweet tasting, lightly hopped beer is in keeping with the A-B tradition of marketing over quality brewing techniques. Again A-B had the opportunity to enter the craft brew market by brewing a really fine bock beer. They chose instead, the road of mass-produced-type swill and major advertising campaigns. Argh! In case you’re still interested, the rest of my vacation went very well despite A-B’s attempt to ruin it.

2.75/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours with a nice amber color. Off to a good start for a A-B product. A bit of a head was present then faded to nothing. The aroma is a bit on the sweet side. There is a present of roasted malts. Taste was a bit on the malt side. Nothing overpowering. The mouthfeel was extremely thin and there was hardly any taste. Not to bad but nothing to rave about

2.47/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Nice looking label and packaging. Pours weak with little head. Taste is a little malty, a little like chocolate. You do get a hint of the touted "imported hops". Distinct grainy, chemical aftertaste. Finish burns going down. Overall, not a very smooth brew for an amber/bock.

2.34/5  rDev -18.5%

It's been a while since I've had an A-B product, but this beer came with the St.Patty's Day special at the restaurant we went to following the local parade. As my other choices were Bud, Bud Light, or Michelob Ultra, I decided to go over to the dark side...

It was real pretty in the glass, reddish mahogany with a thin tan head. No aroma to speak of. The taste was classic A-B lager, with a touch more sweetness and complexity. Mouthfeel was smooth, and the finish had
just a wee bit of hops that went away quickly.

Not a bad beer to have when your choice is limited. Just try to avoid those situations whenever possible...

3.05/5  rDev +6.3%

Not that bad. Pretty light in body and taste. Why do they use the word "Bock"? The beer poured out a pretty deep copper color and the white head fizzled out pretty quick, leaving no lacing on the glass. Slight hop aroma. Leaving an almost oily,chewy aftertaste.
Not that bad for an A-B product.

2.96/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer looks very nice in the glass with its dark brown color. It smells sweet with hints of hoppiness, although the taste is very thin on hops. It is a smooth tasting beer with no real strong flavors, but something I can definitely drink a lot of.

There was a time I probably would have given this a higher rating, but I have since been introduced to better beers. Still this beer is excellent for transitioning a typical american drinker to better beers.

2.57/5  rDev -10.5%

Bought in a 24 oz "bomber"
The beer pours fast with a huge off white head , nice clear brown colour, actually looks pretty good..leaves a nice lace down my glass.
I can hardly smell anything from this beer..certainlly NOT a bock scent..weird.
It actually has some malty undertones to it but not much, tastes a bit like iced tea I also can taste that A-B flavor must be the rice.
Ok in the mouth macro feel crisp..no after taste.
Quite drinkable if it were a choice between Bud and This i would choose this.

I used to drink this quite often, now I wouldn't bother, it's neither a bock or an amber more like a dark regular lager and a very pedestrian one at that.

3.41/5  rDev +18.8%

This is one of my fav's when it comes to mass produced beers from North America. The apperance was my favorite part of it. The color was a black color towards the top of the glass and then got lighter color as it descended. There was no head, but laced the top with a light film. The taste starts out a little bitter, but smooths out quickly. There was also some hints of fruits in it. Not a bad brew overall.

2.85/5  rDev -0.7%

Tried this on tap at Red Lobster. It was a bad decision. I should have known. It was a very clear brown color, with very little head. There wasn't much aroma maybe some toasted malts with a little sweetness. The taste seemed watered down, could've been the glass but I doubt it. It seemed to taste a lot like bud only sweeter. The mouthfeel was extremely thin and there was hardly any taste. That's what I get for going with AB. Still I would choose it over bud when it's my only other choice.

3.86/5  rDev +34.5%

It pours a clear, brown body with a dull orange cast and ruby highlights. The short but creamy off-white head drops readily but keeps a creamy collar and whispy surface covering. It laces nicely as you drink, but all that sticks to the glass is some spotty lace. Still, the appearance is quite enjoyable. The nose expresses a mildly sweet and lightly toasty malt with some mild floral and spicy hops deep in the background. The body is light/medium with a very fine carbonation that gently caresses the tongue. The flavor is delicately balanced between a lightly sweet, gently toasty malt and a restrained bitterness. It finishes clean and dry with a light touch of residual toasted maltiness. Very nicely done! Exceptionally clean, well-balanced, and quite drinkable with enough character to keep it interesting for those who've moved beyond American lagers. Well worth trying.

3.47/5  rDev +20.9%

Pours a light brown color with caramel highlights that is crystal clear. Off-white head has large bubbles and fades quickly. The aroma is malt and caramel, showing a touch of sweetness. Caramel is very prevalent on the taste, with a touch of malt and hops for balance. Minimal sweetness, but very smooth. This is the best macro offering I've had. Nothing exceptional in the flavor, but definitely not offensive by any means. The mouthfeel is rather thin, especially for something termed a bock beer. Carbonation is a touch agressive, leading to a harsh mouthfeel as well. Drinkability is good year round. A solid beer for $16/case here in PA.

2.9/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

The one good thing about going out for a few beers after work with my bosses is that I get a chance to see what the macro-brewers are up to because I would never buy their beers on my own!

This offering is a great example of a beer brewed not to offend anyone, but giving the appearance that it is a micro hand-crafted beer. It pours an amber brown with a foamy white head that sticks around only for a bit. At first the aroma actually has malty notes typical of a lesser mai-bock, along with some hop spiciness thrown in. The taste, however, is bland and watered down with the "green apple" Bud flavor very noticeable. The mouthfeel is also too weak for the style. I am not sure what the target consumer is for this beer, but it clearly is "too dark" for the Bud Light crowd and too bland for anyone that appreciates micros....

2.58/5  rDev -10.1%

I sample Michelob Amber Bock from a 12 oz amber bottle. It poured to give an "amber" beer with some white foam. The color looked a little odd to me: it was not a true amber color, but was slightly brown. There was an aroma of sweetness and malt, but it did not smell like a bock. The taste was thin, but was sweet with very little hops. The mouthfeel was of carbonation, and the beer seemed thin. The drinkability is OK for this type, but again, this is not really a bock beer.

2.59/5  rDev -9.8%

Hey with the decent appearance of this beer where is the taste? Poured a dark amber carbonated color and looked like it might have some taste to it. Turns out, its just another tasteless beer hidden behind the appearance.

I hope people don't take this beer to be any different than another macro big beer. Not a good amber beer, not a good bock. Good macro session beer at best.

2.52/5  rDev -12.2%

This may be my favorite of all the "Mich" beers....It is a bit underrated by some because a lot of mainstream beer drinkers will drink this as their dark beer....

The nose is the worst part of the beer....it has an off-adjuncty smell...the color is light brown with a nice little head...the taste as a nice mellow sweetness to it..not a lot of flavor but it's decent..(I wish I could be more desciptive on this one but it is another lightly flavored Mich beer I am having a a hard time associating tastes to...although this one does have a little flavor)...it's medium bodied with a slick mouthfeel...drinkability is OK...there is some nice malt sweetness evident but it is still rather light and easy to slide down...

This beats most of the regular lagers out there but would rate as one of the worst bock beers although I'm not sure if it is a real bock...A good introductory dark beer for macro drinkers....

2.53/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A total re-review of what was once considered a decent beverage. A medium red in color, strong skunky masky odor of corn and veggies. The initial taste is of watered down malts, with just a touch of faint hops left in the background. Easy going down, but overall a bad taste.

3.54/5  rDev +23.3%

Brown bottle with born on date. Poured a medium brown with good head that lasted longer than most mainstream beers. Moderate carbonation, little to no smell. I was impressed with the taste of this beer (again compared to the norm). There was a fair amount of maltiness offset with bittering hops, no flavor hops. Mouthfeel was reasonably light and I could drink more than a few of these.

Personal notes: Better than average pick when there are no micros. I noted that they use rice, which probably lightened the body of this, unfortunately. No corn, thank goodness. I would buy this if I was looking for a reasonably priced macro (for whatever reason).

2.56/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Crystal-clear medium brown color with a creamy off-white half-inch head with good retention, nice broken lace.

Aroma: Rather sweet aroma, with slight maltiness and a stronger caramel notes, overall, the sweetness seems heavy-handed.

Taste: Begins with dark bread flavored maltiness, towards the middle there are some faint hops, finishes slightly dry with unexpected nutty flavors - a bit like a nut-brown ale.

Mouth feel: The mouth feel seems watery for this style.

Drinkability/notes: Not nearly as good as the "other" Anheuser-Busch bock, ZiegenBock.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce brown glass longneck bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a standard pint tap glass.

3.68/5  rDev +28.2%

This is an average beer nothing to complexes nothing to simple. This beer has a firm smallish head which sticks around for a while, that has some malt character to it. the aroma is nothing to be impressed with. It also has a nice body a little thin but what do you expect from AB. Good color nice amber hue could be a little darker. Nice smooth taste not very heavy on the malt flavor light hops, a little creamy and a little Smokey. Nice bold aftertaste a little dry but refreshing. A good showing from AB but a little hard to find, and if you have to hunt it down it's not worth it!

2.14/5  rDev -25.4%

Man, this beer smells funny. The guy at Budweiser school says, "Swirl the beer around in the glass. This will release the aromas in the beer."

Why on Earth did he tell us to do this!? It was okay for comparing the skunky Bud to the Fresh Bud, but Lordy, didn't you know people were going to try it with the Amber Bock?

HISTORY: If I am not mistaken, some primordeal version of this beer was given to me by my dad in a pizza parlor one day. While he ignorantly waxed poetic (as many dads do) about the bock beer being made from the bottom of the barrel, I glugged as much of the cold dark juice as I could to wash down my salty, greasy pizza. Of course, being a kid, I thought it was just dandy--that thar' bock beer--but little did I know that those few fateful sips would unleash a monster--Darth Malt, the bock jock from a galaxy far, far away.

I bet you're wondering when I'll get to the review. Too late! I dumped it [thought It'd make the Tucher Bajuvator even that much more savory].

This beer is neither amber nor bock. Kids love it, however!

Fight the good fight Shiner!

3.22/5  rDev +12.2%

This brew is not amber, has gone well beyond that...I did like this dark lager even though this type of brew is basically foreign to me. After I got by the appearance, the taste I found to be very mellow and well balanced...I thank BA for perking my interest to trying all these new brews.

3.33/5  rDev +16%

Murky brown color. A little deeper than clear. Thin, off-white to tan head. Some beer like malt smells matched with toasted corn. Taste is midly maltly, although hard to distinguish which are used. Thin feeling and somewhat watery finish.Semi-sweet finish, lingers but doesn't disrupt the taste buds. I drank it fast anticipating a hard to handle slick funky AB finish. But it was not that bad. Actually I found it better than I had anticipated. Is neither an amber or a bock though, just a catchy name for a dark lager. I'm not sure that it's not artificially colored too. Still better than ordering some things on tap in Florida.

2.81/5  rDev -2.1%

I appreciate Michelob's effort, a better AB product.

Brownish-amber colour with a thin, creamy lace that hangs around. Indistinguishable malted something in the nose, not bad, but jumbled and unimpressive. Very thin and hopfree upfront but followed by a solid malted nuttiness. Mild graininess and a sweetness that aint from the malts. Medium body that is crisp and has a fizzy, biting carbonation.

Certainly not a German bock, but a pretty exotic brew from AB. I held off for a long time to try this, and finally broke down and broke a sixer for one. It was worth my effort. How about yours?

Michelob AmberBock from Anheuser-Busch