Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Bud Light | Anheuser-Busch

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001

Ratings: 5,955 |  Reviews: 1,454
Reviews by bnes09:
2.23/5  rDev +19.9%

Super light straw color, about half way between normal lager color and water. Weak, soda-like head with awful retention, and zero lacing. Perfectly transparent and lots of bubbles in the liquid.

Aroma is so clean I have to actually try to smell something. All I can smell is faint corn husk.

Weak malt flavor. Corn and rice adjuncts dominate as expected. There may be a few traces of hop particles somewhere in this brew but there are nowhere near enough to taste. Clean and crisp while providing almost zero flavor.

Light, highly carbonated feel. Just like sparkling water. Average for the style.

On the bottle it says, "Superior Drinkability." Guess I can't argue with that point. Water is also highly drinkable. Maybe that's what this stuff is. Sure tastes like it.

1.66/5  rDev -10.8%

Presentation: 22 oz brown wide mouth bottle, “born on date” on the label for freshness. This sample was pour into a frozen mug to bring it to optimum temperature.

Appearance: Palest yellow that a beer could be you would guess, almost colourless to a point. Exceptional clarity with a faint wispy white lace.

Smell: Very clean aroma, nearly nothing there. Cereal grains and a light whiff of filtered grain reaches the nose.

Taste: Very light bodied, close to bone dry. Thin seltzer like mouth feel. Virtually no hops noticeable to the tongue until the crispness kicks and subsides … bitterness seems to only ride the wave of seltzer like carbonation, but little at that. Malt is extremely thin and scant to the palate. Touch of grain and husk in the flavour but that is about it. Bone dry finish comes to no surprise.

Notes: This beer is for the tasteless beer drinker that thinks there is only ONE beer out there. You may as well drink some seltzer water with alcohol added to it … get the picture, you are not a real beer drinker!

2.71/5  rDev +45.7%

A - Poured with one finger of white head into the appropriate glassware (a shaker pint, of course). The foam settles quickly and leaves no lace. The body is a pale, straw yellow and perfectly clear.

S - Light, grainy sweetness. Otherwise, very clean.

T - Some slightly sweet, husky malt up front... and then nothing else. Finishes clean with a slight graininess and maybe the vague ghost of a hop leaf.

M - Light body, moderately high carbonation, and a slightly dry finish.

D - This is very easy to drink, possibly easier to drink than water. It has a remarkable lack of flavor. Bud heavy has some grainy malt and green apple off flavors, but this is a truly clean beer. This beer is the equivalent of some mad scientist managing to create an actual army of zombies; the sheer wrongness of its existence is abhorrent, but at the same time one can't help but marvel at the technical achievement. And in the end, that is really what this beer is, an empty, soulless, horrifically drinkable, zombie of a beer.

Does one heck of a job at killing slugs when poured into a pie tin in the garden. Has a born on date. Shoulda been aborted.

Fun at the bar: Get the tallneck bottles and cut out the letters from one of the labels to give it new names while you're lamenting the fact you drank five of 'em in the first place. Bug Light - The Beer for Backyard Barbecues! Bubu Light - Great Taste in a Yogi Beer! Butt Light! Bud Blight! There's just no end.

Nearly colorless, nearly flavorless. Starts out fizzy carbonated, with a distinct fermented rice sweet/sour flavor that's rather unpleasant if you've had any malt beers in the past day or so. It sweetens slightly over the sip, while the finish is, well, not there at all. It's a "clean, crisp" alcohol delivery device with some vague resemblance to beer. Is that worth spending money on?

I marked this as want... I can't find this ANYWHERE. It's so polarizing that I've got to try it. If only momma could lend me the keys to her mini van so I could drive into town to find it.... looks like it's toilet wine again

1.18/5  rDev -36.6%

Ordered a Miller Lite at some rat hole in East Dubuque and was given this by mistake. Can you believe they charge a buck more a bottle for this over ML? Well, that’s supply and demand for you.

Appearance: near nothingness. Palest yellow possible unless you are perhaps Green Light or Ultra. No head, extremely aggressive, coca-cola like carbonation.

Aroma: Nothing, maybe a little grain.

Taste/MF: Light bodied. Very dry, crisp, and carbonated similar to gaseous water. Mild bitterness. Nearly no malt. Perhaps a hint of corn. Very repugnant feel overall. Too carbonated. Burns the back of the throat.

Drinkability: As bad as it gets. Drinking one is very, very trying.

Had the misfortune of showing up to a meathead party that only had this offering. Took about 3 sips and had to dump it.. absolutely horrid.... i feel sorry for anyone who thinks this is good beer

1.15/5  rDev -38.2%

I haven't had much bad beer in my life; not since I was a teenager anyway. And I'm pretty sure that I've never had a 'light/lite' beer. Nevertheless, I'm fairly certain what this one will deliver. Or fail to deliver. Here goes...

Perfectly clear light straw. The head is pure white and looks cheap, if that's possible. Big bubbles form a fizzy, airy pillow that recedes very quickly (this beer lost its head faster than Louis XVI). Lace? Uh... no. The smell is pretty subdued, but still manages to be unpleasant. Smells like sour grain.

The taste is even worse than I'd imagined. My facial muscles can't help but form a grimace. This stuff is sour and watery in the extreme. Do they actually try to make it taste like this? How is this beer so popular? I'd like to be able to describe the flavor with more detail, but I can't make myself drink any more than a few mouthfuls. The rest is going down the kitchen sink drain.

The only reason this 'beer' doesn't get straight 1.0s is that I can imagine worse, namely the low-carb offerings like Michelob Ultra. I may never have the dis(pleasure) to actually taste and review them though, because I will not be spending my hard-earned money to abuse my palate like that. If someone gives me a bottle... maybe.

My Belgian-made pint glass is none too pleased with me right now for filling it with this vile liquid. And my kitchen sink drain isn't too happy either. The pint glass says that it may forgive me if a Storm King Stout is in its immediate future.

4.21/5  rDev +126.3%

Call me an alcoholic and all what you will but look folks... name me a better beer that you would stuff your book bag with when your going fishing for a few hours. This beer will give you the taste of beer without feeling like your stomach is full. This beer is low on calories so you will look great and guess what. I haven't met a girl that won't drink a cold bud light. There's plenty of young GOOD LOOKING girls that will drink this but not an IPA. Don't get me wrong I love all beer but this should be higher rated hands down. Number one selling beer in the world and for good reason. I'll cheers everyone to this bud light.

2.9/5  rDev +55.9%

Bud Light is a high quality mass produced beer. It has a purposeful and unique flavor among other light beers. Personally that flavor is too sweet for my taste. It does not taste cheap, but it does not taste particularly good, although there is no aftertaste to it relative to some other light beers out there. Bud Light has some character, but not much. To summarize, it is kind of like drinking a watered down Budweiser. So it's like buying a decent car but getting the base model. It is okay if that's what they have at the concession stand. It is okay in a cooler at a party. It is okay in a keg. If it was a girl, she would be an okay girl to date. She would be like one of those girls everyone else thought you should marry but for some reason you just didn't want to go there. But maybe on reminiscing you might still think about her sometimes, because she was nice. Bud Light is a "it's not you, it's me" kind of beer. As a car, Bud Light is a contemporary Volkswagen Passat. It looks nice, gets the job done, doesn't cost too much, and blends in while being a little different from the others, but not in a way that's interesting or fun. It's an upgrade from really cheap light beer. I want to like it but can't.

2.34/5  rDev +25.8%

Time to review the world's most popular light beer. I can honestly say that I have never had this before. Even before my craft beer days, I would always have selected a regular adjunct lager over one of these. Here goes: Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a pale straw amber with a faint gold tint and a bare half finger white head with good retention and light lacing. Aroma of light, sweet biscuit malt and a faint hint of grassy hops. Flavor is very mild sweet adjunct malt with a distinct rice component (not sure if it is used, but this is spot on for Japanese rice lagers) with a hint of biscuit finishes with mild grassy hops. Tastes watered down. Light bodied with active carbonation. I'm baffled by the number of people who compare this (and other adjuncts) to piss; there is no real comparison. It tastes exactly like it is intended: a light, flavor attenuated mild beer that will offend almost no one. The slightly sweet malt is as inoffensive as it is uninteresting. A watery, mildly sweet malt and mildly hopped light lager. The only surprise here is how watered down it tastes. That makes it hard to understand as a session beer; really boring. This is a one and done. There is no reason to return this (except under desert island scenarios). My apologies to my Seattle Beer Week glass; we will not speak of this again.

Here we go, to all the snooty people who reviewed this beer... why bother.

Bud light has supreme drink-ability. It's very crisp and clear in appearance. Smell is clean and refreshing, and taste and mouth feel are as smooth as it gets. I love all types of different beers. But I can't find it in my heart to down a beer just because it's mainstream.

The best part is when I pour what I tell people is a home brew or craft beer and they are like, wow that's really good, did you make it. I'm like, no... that's bud light. FURY is what I see in the eyes of people, because they actually like it.

I challenge anyone here to brew a clone of a Bud light and see what you come up with.

2.77/5  rDev +48.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Never before has the taste of cardboard, raw grain, and rice been so delicious. We all know what this beer is: lawnmower football-watching dive bar no-thinking thirst quencher. Except for the fizzy head it actually looks good in a glass, too, and the light body is second to none in terms of crushability. This beer also has a special ability: exposing people who take beer too seriously.

1.3/5  rDev -30.1%

Okay. So here is my story.
I love good quality beer and I knew very well that this won't be one. I also have to say that in my near 50 years, I have never tried this thing. Largely because I don't like cheap quality beer but also because I don't see the point to light beer. So honestly, when I purchased a can of Bud Light today, I was giddy and a bit scared at the same time. But I promised myself that I will go through some mass produced beer, in order to put things into better perspective.
And then it happened. I opened my first ever Bud Light.
I immediately went for the nose and it smelled like rat piss. This fades a tad but not much. This beer smells bad.
Okay, but how does it taste? I took the first sip. I tasted some malt and very heavy carbonation and then, quite rapidly, nothing. I mean I tasted nothing. There was no aftertaste either. I took another sip, just to be sure. A slight favour, poof, gone, nothing. And then it soon became evident that I wasn't drinking beer. I don't know what to call this, but it's not beer. But because it doesn't taste bad (as I said, no taste), I can't trash it. It's a not bad (or good) tasting liquid. Its biggest drawback is the bad carbonation that caused me to burp every minute and my chest actually hurts from the trapped gas. Not fun.
So in conclusion, I am confused. I have no idea what I just had and I know I will not have it again, but it wasn't awful. It just wasn't anything.

3.76/5  rDev +102.2%

This is the most popular beer in the United States. I shall review it now, with zero bias.
Poured into a one liter beer mug from a 25 oz. can at a reasonable temperature...

Appearance - Has a very pale yellow straw color. It has a tall, soapy head, then dissipates. Appears to have high carbonation.

Smell - Not bad, smells of cereal and of adjunct corn and rice. No sign of hops.

Taste - Tastes just like Budweiser's little bro. I can taste grain and zero hops. The taste is muted compared to Budweiser's.

Mouth feel - Very spritzy, very carbonated, and watered down.

Overall - Well, this is an excellent party beer and bar beer, but it's not a good sit-down-and-drink beer. Still far better than other light beers I have tried. I feel like it has been given an underrated score.

1.23/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

"If a nickel could urinate, it would taste like Bud Light."

1.79/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

You've drank it because its there. You're in the mood for a light beer and its the only one on tap... But it sucks. It really does. This rice soda isn't even good for its style/category. Try an Amstel or a Heineken Light...even Miller and Coors taste better.

1.36/5  rDev -26.9%

I mean, it's somehow the beer I'm choosing to drink from my dad's fridge because I want something light, and I realize I haven't rated it yet.

L - 12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. It comes out near clear, a hint of yellow, an inch of head that disappears and leaves little to no lacing. Nothing special to look at.

S - Nothing to the smell, either. Some usual corn, grass, rice, cereal grain, metal.

T - A little barley sweetness, some cereal grain, a watery finish that tastes more like seltzer than beer.

F - I put it in the freezer so it'd be at its most drinkable. Drinks like any other lager--light-bodied, high carbonation, very drinkable when it's ice cold. I can see why bros shotgun these.

O - I just don't get it, I guess. Bud Light is the most popular beer in the U.S. yet it has more calories, more carbs, and is equally-priced to Miller or Coors Light. Rolling Rock is $4.99 for a 6-pack ($2 cheaper in AZ) has more flavor and character, and worth the extra beer belly. I once went to a trendy restaurant with Bud Light on tap and the menu described it as having "a hint of orange peel" in the flavor. So, it's really a stretch when trying to sell this stuff to anyone who's drank pretty much anything other than Bud Light in their life. Yes, it's a simple beer with four ingredients. But you can barely taste anything but the water. Continue to baffle me and be the most popular beer in the country, but I'm avoiding it at all costs.

Ever since the dawn of man, since the first Homo sapiens wandered the ancient Earth... Mankind has striven towards greatness. From the invention of the wheel, to landing a man on the moon, humanity has come so far, and yet for every question answered, many more are asked. We still search for an understanding of our place in the universe... Humanities accomplishments pale in comparison to the vastness of the cosmos... Looking up to the stars we realize how little we are, how precious life is. We have built particle-accelerators and telescopes in an attempt to further our feeble understanding of the universe. How can we understand the mind of God? How can we that are imperfect understand perfection?

Webster's dictionary defines perfection as "the condition, state, or quality of being free or as free as possible from all flaws or defects."

Such a definition seems to be beyond our understanding, to transcend anything we could comprehend.

I am here, however, to argue that we have achieved such perfection. An invention of man, more monumental than the invention of fire or the wheel... More so than the creation of freedom and democracy (god bless America). I stand before you today, to share with you the greatest accomplishment in the history of mankind. True perfection in liquid form. The elixir of kings, the concoction of champions, the American made beer, rated a perfect 5/5 stars, number one selling beer in the world, BUD LIGHT.

Our journey begins with a can. A brilliant royal blue and silver cylinder... A certain luster... a certain glow... One that immediately distinguishes itself from all other canned beverages. The way the light reflects off the polished can... A display of beauty unrivaled by anything in the known universe... The presentation is without flaw.

By now we have grabbed the can, unable to resist. The can beckons to us, the promise of refreshment, the assurance of smoothness... Who are we to reject such a righteous gift? The can is opened by the desperate prying of our unworthy fingers... The hissing sound of escaping air... A sound heralding the start of a journey, the beginning of an adventure. As we move closer, our nostrils are stimulated by the fumes of whole-grain hops, the smell of superior drink-ability. Such a tantalizing fragrance... A scent more sweet than a bouquet of flowers, an aroma more pleasant than the sweetest perfume.

The first sip. A moment of pure bliss... Of majesty, of grandeur. To express it in words is a difficult task, such magnificence transcends the English language. It is like describing colors to a blind person. Pure ecstasy... Our taste buds attempt to tell our brain... I try to tell the readers... There is no language, no medium, no form of communication equipped to convey such an experience. I Implore you, noble reader, nay I beg you, go to the nearest grocery store, the nearest gas station, and invest in a can of Bud Light. Adding a 12-ounce investment of Bud Light to your portfolio is an investment in America, and an investment in your future, and it will bring many returns.

Thank you for your time and attention. God bless you, God bless Bud Light, and God bless the United States of America.

I can honestly say that I wouldn't drink Bud Light if it were the last beer on Earth. Not only does it smell awful, but it manages to taste even worse. It's the one beer I literally can't drink anymore ever since I started drinking better brews. I'll still try to give it a legitimate review.

Look: Thin white head on top of a piss-like yellow color.
Smell: In all honesty, it smells like vomit and urine. It made me not want to drink it, but I did, because it was a frat party and it was the only beer available. Now, I would pass on it.
Taste: Oh, no...Okay. When uninformed people tell beer-lovers like myself that beer is "piss-water," I laugh at them because they've probably only ever tried Bud Light. Very little flavor, and the little flavor that is present is relatively unpleasant. Corn water maybe? That's an insult to corn and water, though...
Feel: Very little carbonation. So, nothing to distract from the gross taste.
Overall: Save yourself. Don't try a Bud Light. I know I sound like a troll, or a rival company employee, but the last time I tried to drink Bud Light was the last time I'll try to drink Bud Light. I'll happily give positive reviews to brews that deserve it, but this ain't one.

1.58/5  rDev -15.1%

There isn't much to say about Bud Light that hasn't already been said. It's not that it's a BAD beer - it doesn't have a BAD taste, or a BAD smell.... but rather it LACKS just about everything. There is almost no flavor, no smell, the beer is extremely pale (even for a pilsner - I've seen darker champagnes). You can taste some slight corn, grains, and malt, but it really all gets overpowered by the extreme carbonation. Hops are basically irrelevant and almost completely unnoticeable. The beer is about as thin as they come.

Having had many of these throughout my college years, I've come a long way. Bud Light gives you exactly what you pay for - a "beer" to drink when you really don't care about what beer you're drinking. With a nearly absent flavor and smell, there are MANY better options than Bud Light, even at comparable prices.

Give me a break! It's Bud Light! Much better than my favorite beers after a softball game. Almost like drinking water. It sometimes that's what you need. Don't forget to smash the can into your forehead when it's finished

1.15/5  rDev -38.2%

Basically this is horse piss in a can. Good marketing doesn't make up for terrible beer. I drank this stuff my freshmen year of college and thought it was amazing. Now as a junior, I can not stand it. There are much better beers in the same price range. Not much to look at, it looks like dirty water. Not much of a smell and a watery taste. I would review the feel but there isn't much of one. Just not enjoyable.

3.08/5  rDev +65.6%

Beer for Men

Don't think less of me. I was a Ted Nugent fan when I was a child. I liked high-testosterone rock. Stormtroopin'. Stranglehold. Yank Me Crank Me (but don't wake up and thank me). Scream Dream. Wango Tango. I was a confused overly aggressive teenager. I liked that music. But the man is horrible. I'm not going to go into the deets.

The other day I heard that the Bud Light concert series included a concert by Terrible Ted. Someone put together an online petition to be presented to Bud Light. Then suddenly with no announcement, the Nugent concert was removed from the Bud Light website. Good for them. So never having had Bud Light before, I thought I'd give them a head nod and try the product.

I'm impressed. I mean I was not expecting this. This is decent. No, it's not IPA. I love IPAs. In the summer I like to drink something lighter. When I'm scraping decades old caulk off the windows in the hot sun, I tend to consume more liquids, and I'd prefer it to be great tasting beer rather than lemonade so I like something with lower alcohol content or I'll be featured in a World's Dumbest Carpenters video or America's Funniest Home Videos.

The color is your typical 70s beer urine coloring. It's clear, not cloudy. You see some bubbles bubbling up. The smell, oh the smell, brings me back to when I was a kid and my dad would drink cheap beer. I remember smelling it at a block party. And the taste is very, very mild. I mean there is just a hint of a taste, not much. But it goes down smooth and gets the job done. I guess I should get back to scraping that old caulk off now.

1.85/5  rDev -0.5%

Big thanks to the Official BA gutter slut Patronwizard for this extra in our trade received today. You suck.

Poured into Hamms pint glass. (I didn't want to stain any of my good glasses by pouring this into them)

A. Poured it straight down the middle of the glass. It looks like there was a bit of dish soap in the glass, and then someone pissed into it. foamy head and a yellow body. looks like piss

S. Smell? What smell? smells like watered down corn maybe. What you can smell is horrible. I'd rather sniff hot garbage

T. HEY!!! Someone poured water in my glass. This shit sucks. No flavor, moderate carbonation. I think... No wait I know I'd rather drink pickle juice

M. Mouthfeel like water, but carbonation tells you otherwise.

D. I dunno why you'd wanna drink this. A bet maybe. But drinkability has gotta be pretty fucking awesome. I've crushed a can of this since starting this review and don't feel shit. In fact I think I'm still thirsty.

Vic, you're an a$$hole for sending this. I'm sure your fridge is stocked full of it. I hope all your relatives buy you a case of this for Christmas.

Bud Light from Anheuser-Busch