Bud Light | Anheuser-Busch

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001

Reviews: 1,417 | Ratings: 5,741
2.68/5  rDev +38.9%

This particular Bud Light sampled was the Canadian model brewed under licence from AB to Labatt Brewing Co. This offering was very light in colour and the head was very impressive but quickly left leaving no evidence in its wake. Hops are very prominent and the carbonation seems sufficient.
I enjoyed it....

2.68/5  rDev +38.9%

Tallboy can from the LCBO. Listed at an even 4% abv, with 'brewed in Canada' proudly displayed on the label for some reason. I'll preface this review by mentioning that I've never had Bud Light even once until now, so I'm about as unbiased a reviewer as you'll find around here.

Pours a pale straw yellow, topped with a little more than a finger of fizzy, bone-white head that fizzles itself out of existence in a matter of seconds. A thin, wispy cap remains on the surface. Tons of bubbles rushing to the surface... yep, this is a light beer alright; it looks like every other one I've ever had so I can't really knock it too hard in this category. Clean aroma, with faint hints of grain malts, sweet rice, and little else.

I find that with light lagers, it is more important that the flavour be 'not bad' than it is that the flavour be particularly good or memorable. Bud Light meets this prerequisite, because I can't honestly say it tastes like much of anything at all. It's a little grainy, with elements of corn husk and wet straw, but mostly it just tastes diluted and watery. Of course, it's a light lager, so that's kind of the point I guess. Like the rest of its light brethren, it is thin-bodied, highly watery, and possesses a firm bite from the carbonation. I'll pay it this one compliment - it's pretty refreshing for a beer. Almost as refreshing as water.

So what did I think of my first Bud Light? Well, it's pretty much what I expected - like someone took one-fifth of the volume from a can of Bud and replaced it with water. That being said, it's an acceptable light lager, with a bland, inoffensive taste.

Final Grade: 2.68, a low C-. I would take this over Coors Light, but realistically the difference is so negligible that I'd probably just get whichever was cheaper. Or, more likely, something less crappy.

2.68/5  rDev +38.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

Not as bad as I thought it would be. But, it is not great like so many of my BMC friends say.

The appearance is what you would expect. Almost transparent gold color with a white head that quickly fades.

Smells of water and rice

Tastes like corn

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery, but its oddly refreshing.

If you would keep this beer cold its okay, but once it warms up,.... I'd pass it by.

Overall, this is a very boring beer. I

2.68/5  rDev +38.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Let's not beat around the busch here. This beer isn't here to win ribbons or gold medals. It certainly isn't here to turn the hop-heads of beer geeks across the world. It is what it is. It's Bud Light.

A - Well, it's piss yellow, crystal clear, and has plenty of carbonation streaming up to a finger of white head that sticks around long enough for you to maybe say the alphabet, like if you're fast and haven't already had any more than a couple drinks.

S - Just don't smell it. Don't get all sophisticated with this one. Nothing to see here. Move along.
Okay fine I'll tell you what I picked up from accidentally hovering my face over the glass while I was contemplating my existence. Grass. Corn. Rice. That smell that is ingrained in my memory from high school parties and football games. What can I say? It's nostalgic.

T - Have you ever had Perrier? Or maybe just decided to chug a bottle of club soda out of pure boredom? It was kind of like that, only distilled in adjunct grain juice for a while. It sounds bad, but if you're expecting it, then it's tolerable. In the right mindset, you can even quite enjoy it.

M - This is what I actually like about this beer. It's refreshing, crisp, and has plenty of carbonation. Good for a hot day when you don't want to do anything, including thinking about the beer you're drinking. Very light bodied. Reminiscent of water.

O - I'm not saying this is a bad beer. I'm saying this is the beer that I keep on hand in case someone who isn't my friend asks for a brewski while I'm hosting a party. I'm not going to turn one away if it's the only thing available.

My advice? Grab some buds and go somewhere that serves a proper brew.

A- clear and fizzy

S-clean but definently adjunct all the way. some barely noted on the back.

T-light beer is a light beer but does have a cleaner taste than coors ever will.

M- does not exist- Alcohol water purifed

O- cheap bar beer with a couple friends at the local neighborhood bar. nothing to buy outside of that.

2.68/5  rDev +38.9%

Served in straight pint glass. Poured the thin, clear yellow expected of the style with just a thin cap of white head that had no retention or lacing. A slightly sweet grain aroma was the only noticeable thing in the nose.

On the tongue, again a very faint, slightly sweet grain taste is the only feature. The body and drinkability were both average for the style.

IIRC, this is the best selling beer in America, so clearly lots of folks like this brew. I found it to be a fairly average example of the style.

2.68/5  rDev +38.9%

Had it in the new Aluminum Bottle. Straight, no glass.

A- Um, the bottle is quite striking. Really blue and seems to be really thick, thicker than a can. I know the beer is light yellow, highly carbonated with no head. Past experience.

S- Smells like aluminum. Light and not as pungent as Bud. Good thing.

T- Very average. No real taste. Light malt no hops. Not bitter but very clean. Chug-a-lug.

M- Is this water? Sure makes me belch alot.

D- It doesn't get much easier to drink than this. Very blah, or is it Baa, as in the sheep that drink this as the only example of beer they know.

I had this in the new Aluminum Bottle that seems to be the new selling point for AB. On a hot day at the Byron Nelson PGA tournament, this hit the spot. Stayed cold. That thick shell showed its purpose. I felt real guilty about throwing this out because it is such a waste. Make sure you recycle these bottles.

2.68/5  rDev +38.9%

Had this one from a can and thought I might as well rate it and poured it into a tall pilsner glass.

One finger head, no lacing. Pale yellow.

Aroma is metallic, wet cardboard, sourness

Flavour is more metal, some mild bitterness, adjuncts, dust, wood

Very light bodied, high crisp carbonation

2.7/5  rDev +39.9%

For all those carb-conscious weight-watchers who enjoy lite beers, bud lite is a good choice for those not wishing to consume too many calories and also desire something of a taste... Although not a particularly big fan of anything the Budweiser company has to offer, this is a decent lite beer selection from the many out there on the market... before I started really appreciating beer I'd cop a 24 ounce can for $.99 any time I wanted a cheap buzz... The appearance and smell are similar to many macros out there, but the taste is a notch-up (although nothing at all to write home about)... I am basing this review in respect to its particular category of a lite beer and not compared to beers overall... There are much better lite beers on the market, but this does the job well and is pretty inexpensive... Wouldn't go out and buy a sixer, but would drink it if it was offered... Not bad for a lite beer...

2.7/5  rDev +39.9%

appearance: pours a clear, pale yellow, heavily carbonated, yet no lasting foaming or lacing.

smell: corn and rice scent, no other discernable scents.

taste: what one would expect from a typical light beer, watery and lacking distinctive attributes, except for a light bitterness brought on by the limited nature of whatever hops go into it.

drinkability: it is what it is; for a light lager it is a prime example, nothing to rave about, but drinkable.

2.7/5  rDev +39.9%

I will rate this beer as of my weekend tasting and rate it as a beer in its class - not my personal preferences. This bottle was enjoyed after several Newcastle's so I admit I may have been a little optimistic and also had low expectations from previous encounters with Bud Light. The surprise to me was that I actually noticed some flowery taste in this beer. I couldn't believe it. That said I couldn't deny that on this day - bud light had more than I remembered.

2.7/5  rDev +39.9%

Out of a 24oz can, Bud Light pours a faint yellow, and a white foam head that goes rather quickly.

Taste is a light astringent and just the slightest amount bitter, with that carbonation bight at the end.

The best way to describe this Beer would be mundane.

2.7/5  rDev +39.9%

S- Served from a chilled 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- Light, almost clear with a yellow tinge.

S- Slightly stale smell with a lingering sower sent

T- Not very impressive, stale wheat taste.

M- slightly strong carbonation, easy to drink but not my beer of choice.

D- Easy to drink. Its a cheep beer, good to drink if there's nothing else.

2.7/5  rDev +39.9%

Bud Light is apparently the most consumed beer on earth. So I decided to review it. I got a 16 oz can at the gas station.

I filled a pilsner glass with the bud and was not impressed. It has a very pale yellow color with minimal head. It has a corny cereal smell. It has a corny taste also. I can hardly taste hops but there is a little bit. It feels like seltzer water in the mouth.

I constantly find myself drinking bud light at parties. It's good for getting you drunk, but that's about all it's good for. I have gotten insanely drunk off bud light. It's so watery you hardly notice you are drinking a beer. If you buy this beer to enjoy the taste, then you might need to get your head checked out.

2.71/5  rDev +40.4%

Piss colored with a sorry excuse for a head. Smells like any other American macro lager, not spectacular. Not very flavorful. Best suited for use in college drinking games, and maybe as something to drink for a buzz during a simple BBQ or as a palate cleanser.

2.71/5  rDev +40.4%

A - It pours with a good inch head forming but dissipates quickly.

S - There's a very slight hint of maltiness and a small amount of hops if it's not super cold.

T - Tastes slightly sweet with just a hint of hops but that is more in the lingering aftertaste than while actually drinking it.

M - It's fairly smooth, but feels more like a fountain soda than a beer. However it does hold its carbonation well throughout the entire beer.

O - When the three light domestics are on special at campus bars, I go with Bud Light but any other day of the week there's not too much for it. It's always refreshing, but nothing to write home about. It's better on draft and when it's not ice cold. Enjoy!

2.71/5  rDev +40.4%

clear pale yellow, hardly any color at all. no discerning aroma at all which is good because i really despise that corn adjunt smell in a lot of other macro lagers. light body with a certain crispness that dances on the tongue a bit. nothing offending here. goes down crisp and clean. better than most light beers as far as i'm concerned.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured from the can into a standard pint glass. Canning date on the bottom is June 10th, 2015.

Looks very, very pale yellow (when pouring, it's like ever-so-slightly yellowish-tinted water), very clear, with a lot of good-sized bubbles rising up from the bottom of the glass at all times. The color is a bit dull. But pale and dull as it is, it does still look like beer. Actually a decent-sized head of white foam on top, especially when poured quickly, and though it shrinks fairly fast some of it does hang around for a while. It even forms the standard "ring" around the outer edges of the glass.

Smell is... well, not the greatest at first. The first thing that comes to mind is "farty," though this is most noticeable when you first pour and fades away pretty quickly afterward. There's also a hint of a metallic sort of smell. When I had one before I picked up a bit of something that reminded me of cooked vegetables, but I'm not really getting that now. After the "farty" smell fades, the metallic kind of thing also seems to go away and you're left with only a little of a slight bready beer-like smell. The smell is very faint overall, though, so the not-so-pleasant aspects of it are not at all overpowering; you pretty much have to put your nose in the glass and sniff to pick up much of anything at all. Chances are that unless you actively try to smell this beer you will not really notice its smell at all.

The taste is overpowered by the fizziness of the carbonation at first, but once that dies down a tad there's a very light, dry bready sort of flavor there. As with the smell, it's very faint; unlike the smell, thankfully, there really aren't any unpleasant elements like farts or metal. Unfortunately, when you drink more than a sip that nice dry bready flavor shifts more to a sweeter, not as pleasant one -- reminding me mostly of white bread after you've started to chew it up, when the starches are already being broken down into sugars by your saliva. That's what it tastes like to drink a big gulp of Bud Light. I'm noticing today that I am also getting a slight bit of that "cooked veggie" thing in the taste, though thinking about it a bit I wonder if maybe it's actually closer to that funky smell rice makes when it's cooking. I suppose that would make sense, as I know I've read that the Bud line of beers uses rice as adjunct rather than corn. Overall the flavor isn't unpleasant, but it is pretty bland and one-dimensional. There's just not a lot to it -- it's pretty much just a dry-ish bready malt/rice sort of thing, no sign of hops or anything. Seriously, why not add some hops in? Most of the calories in beer come from the malt, so you'd think the "light" beers would have no reason not to add in at least as much hops as the "regular/heavy" version, if not a bit more.

Feel is like fizzy water, pretty much. By far the most insubstantial feeling beer I've ever had. If not for the carbonation it would be a whole lot like just drinking water; I haven't tried plain carbonated water so I can't say if it's *exactly* the same, but I imagine it's not far off. I suppose that's exactly what they're going for, what with this being a "light" beer and all, and it does make it easier to drink huge gulps at a time if you want (though sadly, that makes what little flavor is there not as good, so it's a little counterproductive.) As with the taste -- nothing really unpleasant about it, but there's not much there.

Overall, there's just not a whole lot to this one. I figure that's probably the defining feature of a light beer -- being weak, bland, watery, and well... light. However, I really can't rate it *that* low because, as mentioned above, there's really nothing unpleasant about it either -- it's a beer defined by its sheer blandness, for better or worse. I wouldn't ever buy this for myself, but there's nothing offensive about it either and I'd certainly drink it for free if offered -- better than a glass of water, albeit not by a whole lot. I just can't form any strong opinions on it because there's so little there to form an opinion on. I suppose if you want something that doesn't taste like much but still gets you buzzed, this might not be all that bad of a choice -- but I can't imagine that there aren't any more-flavorful alternatives even in the "light/lite" beer category.

2.71/5  rDev +40.4%

A - Poured with one finger of white head into the appropriate glassware (a shaker pint, of course). The foam settles quickly and leaves no lace. The body is a pale, straw yellow and perfectly clear.

S - Light, grainy sweetness. Otherwise, very clean.

T - Some slightly sweet, husky malt up front... and then nothing else. Finishes clean with a slight graininess and maybe the vague ghost of a hop leaf.

M - Light body, moderately high carbonation, and a slightly dry finish.

D - This is very easy to drink, possibly easier to drink than water. It has a remarkable lack of flavor. Bud heavy has some grainy malt and green apple off flavors, but this is a truly clean beer. This beer is the equivalent of some mad scientist managing to create an actual army of zombies; the sheer wrongness of its existence is abhorrent, but at the same time one can't help but marvel at the technical achievement. And in the end, that is really what this beer is, an empty, soulless, horrifically drinkable, zombie of a beer.

2.72/5  rDev +40.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

January 26, 2015

12 oz bottle, nonic pint

A – Pale light straw. Very clear with mild effervescent bubbles rising to the top. Under an inch of white foam, with moderate to low retention.

S – Light pale malt, some sweetness from corn adjunct. The slightest touch of floral, spicy hops but very, very low. Aroma of any sort is pretty difficult to find.

T – Very pale malt, a touch of water cracker. Some mildly unpleasant corn, DMS-type sweetness from adjuncts. No real hop flavor, and only a touch of bitterness.

M – Moderate carbonation and a crisp, dry finish. No real discernible levels of bitterness. The corn/adjunct sweetness is not great, but it is also not overwhelming.

O – Despite the prominence of the adjunct corn, this is not the horrible swill it’s made out to be. Its main flaw is that it basically lacks any notable beer character. This is pretty fresh and goes down easy, meaning it’s not the worst thing to drink, ice cold, on a hot day.

2.72/5  rDev +40.9%

Light straw colored pour with minimal head no matter how hard you pour. Smell is minimal of corn and malts but moreso of watered down lager. Taste is also pretty muted. Slight sweet malts and somewhat bitter at that. Mouthfeel is light, as one would expect. Drinkability...you could give it a high score but the other aspects bring it down. Sure, it's easy to drink cold but it's not extremely enjoyable.

2.72/5  rDev +40.9%

Bud Light pours a bright straw color with a fluffy white head, from the longneck. It smells of grains, and not much else. The taste is pretty much the same, grains. There is a sharp bite of carbonation, and the coldness is getting to me. This is the beer that defines drinkability, they go down like water.

2.73/5  rDev +41.5%

Appearance: Pale yellow, clear, light head that disappears very quickly, good carbonation.
Smell: Very faint. Can detect some barley and hops, maybe rice.
Taste: Very weak and watery. Can barely detect an aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Light and watery, carbonation is medium frothy.
Drinkability: Exceptionally high.
Summary: This is a horrible beer. I gave it a 5.9/10, or an F. As far as beer goes, this one's not a good choice. If you're in need of light beer, then I would say it's okay. It's cheap, highly drinkable (because it's basically like drinking water), and can get you drunk if you drink enough of it. In my younger days this was the standard beer of choice for parties (Due to cheapness, availability, and drinkability). This beer loses a lot of points for taste and satisfaction, but gains a few for drinkability. So if you're goal is to get really drunk or supply several guests with beer and save money, then by all means go for this beer. If your goal is to enjoy a great beer, look elsewhere. I wouldn't drink this beer again unless the only other available options were the rest of the commercial light beers.

2.73/5  rDev +41.5%

02/07/09- Had at a relatives house.

Presentation- 12oz can, didn't check for freshness info, but I'm sure there is a born on date or something. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance- Pale golden color with effervescent bubbles, a one fingered head on pour which quickly fades. Leaves no real lace markings.

Smell- Normal macro nose of light corn, grain and some malt.

Taste- Not really a heck of a lot of corn, which is good. Some heavy grain notes, actually fairly fresh tasting. Hops, nope, but overall not as horrid as most macro light beers.

Mouthfeel- Super crisp with a mid range carbonation level.

Drinkability- Do I loose my beer geek status if I say that this actually tasted good at the time I drank it? Was damn thirtsy and wasn't going to get to the beer store until the next day. Hit the spot to be perfectly honest. I guess it's true what they say...there is always a time and a place for every beer.

2.73/5  rDev +41.5%

Hey, Bud Light is what the can says it is. A light beer. It's highly drinkable, shotgun friendly and a staple at any college or high school party. It has its purpose in the beer world. That said, it is virtually tasteless, unworthy of accompanying almost any food and really can't be enjoyed unless you're drinking to get a buzz or worse. I was stoked that I only had to buy a single can for evaluation purposes and not a 6 pack...let's put it that way.

Some sulphur (ever skied on Mt. Hood in the spring?), and I found some light citrus. No really, I did.

Big huge foamy head, creamy on top, dissipates quickly but at least it showed up. Brilliant pale straw color, I wish my brewery could filter so well.

Slight floral taste from the hops, or did I imagine it? Grainy, but almost no detectable sweetness or hops for that matter. Watery aftertaste that fortunately goes away as fast as the head.

Thin bodied as it should be for the style. Snappy carbonation.

Bud Light from Anheuser-Busch