Bud Light | Anheuser-Busch

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001

Reviews: 1,424 | Ratings: 5,800
1.66/5  rDev -14%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

Pours a straw yellow, lots of fizz, light/medium head. Mouth feel is a light watery carbonation. Smell is slightly sweet ,very little grain, likely because of the rice component.
Goes down smooth, finish is a slight metallic bite. Easily forgettable.

This would be a beer I will drink if offered at a BBQ or a party, but won't buy. As for macros, it's not the worst, but nowhere near the best.

2.5/5  rDev +29.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bud Light pours brilliant straw with rapidly rising streams of bubbles under a 1" white frothy foam cap with fair to poor retention. The aroma has faint apple, low to no malt, very faint floral hops, and a faint grain aromas. The palate offers faint apple, low grain, very low hop bitterness, low to no hop flavor, with a dry and slightly tart finish. It has a light body and is highly carbonated. There is a very slight slickness on the palate and a slight carbonic bite. For what it is, it is well made. There is just not a lot there.

2.36/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I take it from reading the previous 100 reviews that the raters have not grasped the concept of light beers. They are not brewed to taste good, they are brewed so that sone overweight smuck can convince him/her self that this will be good for their physic. It's a watered down version of another beer. Of course it taste like dung. If you watered down a Coke, that would taste bad too. As far as watered down beers go, this is one of the better ones. Actually for a brief second it taste like a regular lager. Hey if you buy a cheap car you ain't gonna race at Daytona. If you buy a light beer you're never gonna be happy if flavor is what you're after.

1.31/5  rDev -32.1%

Never been a real fan of any of the BMC lights, but for fair review's sake, I'll explain Bud Light through the eyes of a college student looking to get trashed.

Look: Gross, pale yellow. Better when hidden behind the aluminum. Huge plus if you have the opaque bottles.
Smell: Pro tip...don't smell it. Hints of bleached asshole come to mind.
Taste: Mostly water. If you can recall the flavor of Bud heavy, take that and make it a 50/50 water mix, and voila.
Feel: Light. Airy. Easy to suck down via funnel or shotgun.

Overall: Huge waste. It tastes, on a good day, equal to any of the Keystone/Busch/Rolling Rock competitors, but it costs 50% more. There is no reason for anyone to ever buy Bud Light. If you spend extra money to "avoid" the other low quality AAL macros, but find any difference in Bud Light, you're lying to yourself. IF anything, the others have more beer taste, because they don't appear to be half water.

1.03/5  rDev -46.6%

Comparing only NA beers, BUD Light and Miller Lite, not my favorite Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.
Color was light straw.
Aroma was sweet off a two finger head lots of carbonation
Seltzer taste and feel
I'm assuming it's made from rice since I detected no barley or hops flavor.

2.68/5  rDev +38.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Can't say that I'm huge into light beers. I accept that they have a place and purpose, one that I'm slowly accepting as I continue to age. Why pay for 4.2% ABV when you can get 5%, 5.9%, 8%, 10%, or even higher for the same price (or even less in Bud Light's premium-price-point case?) Well, because I can drink as much light beer as I want and function the next day as opposed to two 40s of high gravity which are now leaving me FUBAR and wishing for death.

The Budweiser brand has gone to Hell since it's new foreign ownership. I felt embarrassed even buying Bud Light since I'm not a flaming liberal, which is their current advertising target. Enjoy your death spiral A-B, it was your decision.

Reviewed from a 20 pack of 16 fl. oz. aluminum bottles. As always, I'm keeping the style (light lager) in mind and comparing it to other beers that I've had in that style.

A: Poured into a Budweiser glass purchased at the Fairfield, CA brewery. 1.5 fingers of head from a soft pour that shows large bubbles and takes less than 30 seconds to dissipate. A barely intact foam ring lasts the entire glass with some patchy floating foam on top. Surprisingly there are some rings of lace on the way down. Color is not as light as expected and must be close to that of "regular" Budweiser, impressive for a macro light beer. A small amount of "floaties" when held up to a strong light. Not at all uninviting.

S: Almost nonexistent until the beer warms. Iron, faint sweet malt, light green apple. Any hops are lemony and spicy. There is nothing off-putting which I guess is a home run here. It reminds me of what melted ice in a hotel room ice bucket smells like in the (next) morning.

T: Bland, even for a light beer. 10% Budweiser, 90% carbonated water. A-B must make a fortune on this beer. It takes a few of these for my palate to start detecting anything other than salty and metallic. Really light malts and rice with some lemon. You'd have to be familiar with the A-B family of beers to recognize and understand any taste. Close to alcoholic water but, again, nothing off-putting. This reminds me more of Natural Ice than Budweiser. (I guess I'll need to review Natty Light now.)

M: Probably the most champagne-like, super carbonated beer that I've ever had (sorry Miller High Life.) Carbonation stings the tongue but is not creamy. The extreme carbonation gives the beer some substance when really there is none. Eventually there is a puckering and lemony dryness that is not pleasant here. The rice adds the creaminess missing in the carbonation.

O: The least flavorful light beer that I've ever had. Bud Light's look, smell, and mouthfeel are able to partially substitute for it's lack of flavor. If I wanted to get drunk on carbonated water I'd pick this beer.

1.59/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Look: It pours pale yellow with a white head that has little in the way of head retention.

Smell: There are some grainy sweet aromas and a light appleness to it. The aromas are not strong.

Taste: There are some grainy sweet flavors and light apple, but nothing else. The balance is slightly towards the malt as the flavors are not strong.

Feel: The body is light and watery with a slight carbonic and metallic bite in the finish.

Overall, this is a light beer with slight balance towards the malt but little else in the way of flavor elements.

1.33/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 1 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.25

Look: Pours a very light, yellowish color. Virtually water a hint of beer.

Smell: Nothing going on with the smell; standard beer smell.

Taste: Watery, can drink them all night. Its Bud Light, what do you expect?

Feel: Feels like water when you swallow, not filling at all.

Overall: Good beer for young college kids and people who are down on their luck and broke. One of the most common beers in America. Good for tailgates, parties, and other events involving food as it wont fill you up. Need about 10 to get a real buzz.

1.79/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

You've drank it because its there. You're in the mood for a light beer and its the only one on tap... But it sucks. It really does. This rice soda isn't even good for its style/category. Try an Amstel or a Heineken Light...even Miller and Coors taste better.

2.92/5  rDev +51.3%

This beer is definitely not my first choice while beer shopping but it's definitely not my last; granted I'm not gonna go out of my way to get this beer nor am I gonna drink it at a bar. This beer has a faint and light aroma and has a mouth feel similar to Budweiser. Recommended activities for this beer in my opinion are mowing the yard, having in stock at a barbecue/cookout, and maybe at a house party but not much more than that. I know this beer gets alot of hate but I think that it does good just for the style its in and don't think it's not really that bad.

1.06/5  rDev -45.1%

I won't diss a beer just because it's a commercial brew, but this stuff is absolutely terrible. Keep this stuff on hand only to put your grill fire out if needed. Avoid at all costs. Many people that hate beer hate it because this is the trash they tried and won't try anything else.

1.75/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

After drinking exclusively good beer for six months straight, you really notice how crappy bud light is. Pale state yellow in the glass and it just goes down hill from there. Only the slightest hint of hop aroma as the smell is predominated by the maltiness of the beer. Taste follows the smell with a huge sweet pale malt presence on the front end that finishes a touch sour around the edges of the toungue. Barely a hint of hop presence. Feel is watery and carbonated. Only saving grace is it is rather cold right now so it's true flavor does not really come out (the cold
Numbs your taste buds). I had never minded bud light but after really paying attention to what I am drinking; damn this is crap.

1.98/5  rDev +2.6%

Well the appearance is quite the dilution of beer. Take a normal lager, dump a bunch of water in it, here's your appearance, feintest of feint straw yellow, tons of clarity. Aroma is of some grain.

Taste, is like, nothing. There's another mild impression of grain and that is about it. "hides" the alcohol. Mouthfeel is just seltzer water. Massively overcarbonated, open one up and sit on it for about five minutes. Does it have a function, sure, for people who don't want to taste beer, or someone trying to cleanse their palate between beers.

2.05/5  rDev +6.2%

As refreshing and quenching as water. Drink it cold and it gets the job done - its got a consistent taste, its refreshing and light. Its solid for what it is, but it just doesn't taste great.

1.82/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Lets all face it. At one time of your life or another you're going to be at a college or high school party.
You're going to be tossed of these beers.
You're going to drink it because its one of the few things available.
You were probably young and didn't know what good beer was.
But you enjoyed it because it was readily available.
This is a beer for those people.

The taste is akin to seltzer water with a hint of lime and freshly cut grass.
Not too terrible, but not pleasant.

The smell is that of a dirty public restroom. It smells of piss and urinal cakes.
You know that smell.
Like walking into a walmart or public park bathroom. Greeted by pee, feces and a slight rose like smell in the air

The look is slightly yellow and highly carbonated.
It looks like any old light beer.

When you pour it into a glass it has a 2 finger head if its brand new out of a cold can.
Otherwise, its fizzy and reminds me of waking up at 2 in the morning having to pee.

Lets face it. This is a cheap beer to be drinken by people who want to have alcohol in their body fast. Not to be enjoyed or rememebered.

For me it reminds me of camping, and has a nostalgic vibe of walking to the camp grounds bathroom and being greeted by the overwhelming smell of pee and dew in the air.

3.08/5  rDev +59.6%

Beer for Men

Don't think less of me. I was a Ted Nugent fan when I was a child. I liked high-testosterone rock. Stormtroopin'. Stranglehold. Yank Me Crank Me (but don't wake up and thank me). Scream Dream. Wango Tango. I was a confused overly aggressive teenager. I liked that music. But the man is horrible. I'm not going to go into the deets.

The other day I heard that the Bud Light concert series included a concert by Terrible Ted. Someone put together an online petition to be presented to Bud Light. Then suddenly with no announcement, the Nugent concert was removed from the Bud Light website. Good for them. So never having had Bud Light before, I thought I'd give them a head nod and try the product.

I'm impressed. I mean I was not expecting this. This is decent. No, it's not IPA. I love IPAs. In the summer I like to drink something lighter. When I'm scraping decades old caulk off the windows in the hot sun, I tend to consume more liquids, and I'd prefer it to be great tasting beer rather than lemonade so I like something with lower alcohol content or I'll be featured in a World's Dumbest Carpenters video or America's Funniest Home Videos.

The color is your typical 70s beer urine coloring. It's clear, not cloudy. You see some bubbles bubbling up. The smell, oh the smell, brings me back to when I was a kid and my dad would drink cheap beer. I remember smelling it at a block party. And the taste is very, very mild. I mean there is just a hint of a taste, not much. But it goes down smooth and gets the job done. I guess I should get back to scraping that old caulk off now.

2.43/5  rDev +25.9%

No smell. No head or lacing. Light sweet taste with very little hops bitterness. Nothing offensive. Nothing great either. You could do worse with a light AAL. I think this is one of the best of the American light beers. Miller lite has a slight edge over this, though.

2.41/5  rDev +24.9%

From a can.

Pours a very pale translucent yellow with a half finger, fizzy white head.
Smells of sweet corn, green apples and mild sugar.
Ice cold this isn't half bad, but as it warms it's charm quickly disappears. I get flavors of sugary cereal, bread, red and green apples and just the faintest notion of bitterness.
Feel is light and extremely well carbonated, akin to seltzer water.

Pretty bland, but not necessarily "bad". There's nothing here thats really offensive or repugnant to the palate. If you get this fresh and not sunstroked it's really not terrible. The great thing about this beer is that you can drink a lot of it without getting wasted or having to worry about your caloric intake. I believe there's a time and place for beers like this during the summer when the weather gets really hot.

1.21/5  rDev -37.3%

Look is beautiful... Let's be realistic, lagers are suppose to be crystal clear. This is more clear than most drinking water. In fact everything about this beer is more water than water. Smells like skunky water. Tastes like well water. Feels like carbonated water. Great for cooking pasta and rice in. Great for giving away. Great washing out your growler. Terrible for drinking

2.2/5  rDev +14%

Bud Light, the King of non-descript party beers. Taste gets a 2, because at the least it is no offensive. I hate this shtuff, I really do. But, credit where credit is do, it easy to power drink the hell out this. 8 beers in twenty minutes is not undoable (I just need a few ant-acids before hand). Overall, I give this a three, because it is drinkable and I can drink a lot of it.

3.41/5  rDev +76.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This beer is not bad at all to be so cheap. The color has a very light golden look to it. its smells light and feels a little watered-down but the taste and feel of it going down is amazing and refreshing. It also has a sweet taste unlike and other light beer I've tried so far. No hangover noticed at all the next morning which was a plus. Overall, great beer for parties or hanging out with friends at home. Its also good to have by your self. And as I found out, its a great beer to marinate beef steak or flap meat with.

1.22/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

A - Similar to urine after you drink a gallon of water. A bit of white head/foam.

S - Nothing. I got absolutely nothing.

T - Red Solo cups, failure and regret.

M - Almost flat seltzer water.

O - To borrow a term from modern day pundit, commentator and all around philosopher Charles Barkley, this beer is "turrible". It's reputation for being awful is well deserved. Drink at your own peril. The only redeeming aspect of drinking this beer is that it'll remind you of how bad beer can be, thus allowing you to recalibrate your palate and truly appreciate all the great beers out there.

1.61/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

A- Bight yellow but not as fluorescent as piss when taking vitamin B supplements.

S- A faint hint of hops.

T- Some hop bitterness at the finish.

M- Llght mouthfeel with a fizzy finish. Watery texture covered up by the fizz at the finish.

D- Some hop bitterness, but in a bad way. No malt qualities.

3.56/5  rDev +84.5%

L: clear yellow, tons of carbonation. White head
S: raw ingredients, barley, yeast, malt.
T: very sweet. Think sugar water with barley.
F: super drinkable for which it's known for. Very refreshing on a hot day.
O: perfect session beer for being outside on a hot day.

I told myself I wouldn't rate this. But I've been drinking (Not this beer, though I have had it) and I took some notes on this one time as a joke. It tastes absolutely terrible, smells terrible, feels bad in my mouth, taste is reminiscent of a fake apple granola bar mixed with water and left to rot. Seriously, this is the only beer that I flat out refuse to drink.

Bud Light from Anheuser-Busch