Bud Light | Anheuser-Busch

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001

Ratings: 5,907 |  Reviews: 1,445
1.2/5  rDev -37.8%

Absolute worst of the american macro-lights. Very, very, very pale. Very pale. It was only a little grainy smelling, that's it. Not really any malt to speak of, and as for hops, the only hops this beer had in it is some that my have diffused through the packaging from some good beer it was sitting next to on the shelf. Very carbonated. Like soda water with yellow food coloring. The only reason I got this was because it was the cheapest 6-pack in the store. This was also the reason for the drinkability not being "aweful".

I was having a feud with neighbor and I bought a six pack of these to empty and then throw on his yard. Definite "white trash" beer. People who like this are into stock car racing and hunting. I personally think it has no taste. I once tried to steam mussels in it, but that didn't even produce a taste. Will go with out before I drink this.

2.03/5  rDev +5.2%

Well you know, cheap and easy to drink but not a great tasting beer. Light body, no head, plenty of corn and rice though. For cheap shit it works. I will have on hand for my friends that do appricate the good stuff.

1.3/5  rDev -32.6%

This is not a very good product. Overall it has a very bland appearance, no highlights, no real color. There isn't a very defined scent, the aroma is very faint because it is barley there to begin with. I can not drink this. It has a very sandy texture and goes down rougher than warm ginger ale.

1.1/5  rDev -43%

Pale liquid, not so much straw-colored as it is just gray. A scary, dead-looking color. Freakishly clown-like aromas of cotton candy, sweet-heart candy, formaldehyde... I don't think I can drink this "beer." I push on. Wow. The flavors are thankfully very watery. I was afraid I would have to taste what I smelled. There is a very faint echo of the aromas on the palate, like it is coming to me across a vast distance. I feel safe. If I was a gutter alcoholic, I might consider drinking this... if it were free.

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 4

Very pale yellow with not much of a head. Clean smell and very fizzy, like a soda. Not much flavor here at all. If you like water, this is for you...but water is cheaper. It will quench your thirst and thats about it. At least it's not skunky. Very easy too drink, it's a party beer.

2.31/5  rDev +19.7%

If you're a fan of beer, you're probably not watching your calorie intake anyway, so the only reason these types of beers exist is for people who really don't like the full taste of a real beer. Nevertheless, I'm reviewing Bud Lite (review #2 for me, if you're following my beer journey), which is up there in terms of popularity next to Coors Light (in NJ, anyway, which is Coors Light country). I don't automatically have a predetermined dislike for Anheuser-Busch, so I'm going into this review giving it a fair shake.

First off, this stuff is paler than normal Bud. A VERY pale straw color. It forms a better head than Bud, but not by much. I took a sniff, and I don't know if I got a bad bunch but the smell was kind of like a musty grain smell. Not too good.
I took a taste and luckily it tasted better than the smell. A very slight malt taste and absoultely no hop character. No bitterness here, folks. Very watery, and not as carbonated as regular Bud. The aftertaste is just about non-existant, as is the alcohol taste.

Whereas Budweiser specifically lists that it is brewed with rice on it's label, Bud Light says "select grains", meaning there's probably corn AND rice in there (not to mention a slew of other Anheuser-Busch chemicals). I do find it very drinkable, as it would go great with greasy BBQ food. A non-offensive beer, and I am sure that there are worse beers than this out there.

1.71/5  rDev -11.4%

Pale gold in hue with small white head; poor retention. There was almost no lace. The nose is unremarkable and not noteworthy. Typical light “American-Macro” taste, some sweetness, graininess, plenty of water, it is largely devoid of flavor. If Anheuser-Busch didn’t spend a zillion dollars on marketing this beer they would have very few people drinking it. I wish I could give drinkability a zero; Bud Light makes me fiercely sick, after two bottles I am in the bathroom… (I’ll spare the details).

1.7/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

whew, this was rough. out of the keg, it stank horribly, and it was a struggle to down. i needed to start with some good stuff before breaking into this one

2.7/5  rDev +39.9%

Out of a 24oz can, Bud Light pours a faint yellow, and a white foam head that goes rather quickly.

Taste is a light astringent and just the slightest amount bitter, with that carbonation bight at the end.

The best way to describe this Beer would be mundane.

1.55/5  rDev -19.7%

Pours crystal clear, faintly yellow to nearly transparent color. Head is at first bubbly and white then dissappears like a ghost fart..........Smell is mostly grainy, and metallic bitterness. Taste is same wierd grainy, metallic, watery, and just plain awful. The bottom of the beer was much worse. This beer is only tolerable if drank extremely cold, and jostled around enough to produce some foam..like in a golf cart, or mowing the lawn.....shaking it up produces those same faint beer like qualities as budweiser, only less so. Wierd sourness to finish with watery feel. Not a good feeling....I don't see how they seell so many of these.......To my surprise Budweiser actually tasted much better.

Truly a beer for people who don't like the taste of beer. Why waste your time unless you are trying to add to your tiotal of beers that you have tried.

1.85/5  rDev -4.1%

Okaysince I made my confessional about Budweiser, time to reveal my Bud Light drinking. Okay, we have a friday bar at work. Since everyone seems to be watching their weight, the normal selection is often mostly light. If you don't get there soon, all the few microbrews are long gone(story of my life). I drink this practically every Friday because it's that or Heinekin and sorry I hate the skunky smell. The beer is a lighter version of Bud, drinkable, but almost not there in terms of taste, body or character.

This ties with it's big brother as my least favorite beer of all time.
I made the mistake of having both of these at a Graduation party...it had been a while....for good reason.
Just horrible all around. Diluted pissy yellow. Fizzy, artificial head. Faint skunked aroma. Adjuncts on the taste buds.

Bud products are the only beers I have every encountered that give me near-instant headaches.
Stupid of me to even try, I will continue to avoid like the plague.

This is one of the worst beers I have ever tasted. I have had beers that I didn't like, but that didn't mean this is bad. This beer is so lacking in flavor, that if it were skunky, it would make it more tasty. This beer is very light in color, almost no head. First impression of taste is of...bitter seltzer water. When the beer warms up the corn adjunts shine further commiting this beer to be destined to be dumped down the drain. Alternately try a Miller Light, MGD light, or even Coors Light.

1.43/5  rDev -25.9%

Hard to believe this is the best selling beer in the US, if not the world. It is an adjunct lover’s idea of heaven. It has that bad A-B adjunct after bite. No redeeming values, whatsoever. Treat yourself instead: Get a 30 pack of PBR.

1.1/5  rDev -43%

Ack, can't believe people are giving this beer good reviews. As my one friend puts it: "Drinking bud light is like drinking yak ****". Don't know how he would know that, but I always take his word for it. Never thought I liked beer because I was always presented with stuff like this.

1.6/5  rDev -17.1%

I still don't get the light beer market. Add more water. A little bit of beer to clean out the urinary tract. Ohhhh... it's medicinal. In any case this is another poor light beer (if there is a good one). Take Budweiser (which is tolerable, more-so with NASCAR) and add dirty water.

1.38/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Slightly yellow, clear and way over force carbonated. no real head or smell. Plain and watery tasting. The selzer of beers...

2.5/5  rDev +29.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not much difference from regular Budweiser, but does taste a little bit better. Again though, if you are drinking light beer, you might as well save a few bucks and go get some Nattie, because there isnt much difference. And who are you kidding, you are only using it for beer pong or funneling anyway.

1.85/5  rDev -4.1%

I really don't like A-B products. This is like alcoholic water. Translucent yellow without the slightest hint of any kind of head. I've had water with more flavor than this. The only reason I rate this beer as high as I do is because it doesn't taste bad. It just doesn't taste at all. I will drink one of these if it is offered by a friend and there isn't anything else besides its peers, but that is the only time. If this isn't free then I'm not drinking it.

2.71/5  rDev +40.4%

clear pale yellow, hardly any color at all. no discerning aroma at all which is good because i really despise that corn adjunt smell in a lot of other macro lagers. light body with a certain crispness that dances on the tongue a bit. nothing offending here. goes down crisp and clean. better than most light beers as far as i'm concerned.

1.85/5  rDev -4.1%

Like all light beers, this is fairly easy to rip on, but that has been done, ad nauseum, so instead, I'll offer up some alternative thoughts. If it weren't for this beer, how many people would drink beer at all? Think about it. From young woman to old men, you see every age group and demographic drinking this. Sure, they advertise like crazy, which I am sure lends itself to the masses, but it does have mass appeal. It is what it is...a very, very, very mild tasting beer. Not much in terms of hops, malt or balance, but something to chug while standing on an asphalt pavement after a softball game on a 90-degree day (water is good in this situation too) Eventually, people who start to appreciate beer move on from this to better beer. Not much different than Miller Lite, Coors Light, Busch Light, Michelob Light, or any other light. In its class, Amstel Light is better as is Sam Adams Light.

Does one heck of a job at killing slugs when poured into a pie tin in the garden. Has a born on date. Shoulda been aborted.

Fun at the bar: Get the tallneck bottles and cut out the letters from one of the labels to give it new names while you're lamenting the fact you drank five of 'em in the first place. Bug Light - The Beer for Backyard Barbecues! Bubu Light - Great Taste in a Yogi Beer! Butt Light! Bud Blight! There's just no end.

Nearly colorless, nearly flavorless. Starts out fizzy carbonated, with a distinct fermented rice sweet/sour flavor that's rather unpleasant if you've had any malt beers in the past day or so. It sweetens slightly over the sip, while the finish is, well, not there at all. It's a "clean, crisp" alcohol delivery device with some vague resemblance to beer. Is that worth spending money on?

1.18/5  rDev -38.9%

Have you seen American Pie 2 when Shifler was laying back blindfolded and the girl was going to feed him champagne but was knocked out by a falling flower pot...and then the guy on the balcony relieves himself all over shiflers face?? Well, I think that drinking Bud Light is a similar experience. The taste is of a mild urine quality (I'm guessing that's what urine tastes like) with a twang of aluminum can for an aftertaste. The only nastier beer I have drank is Skol somewhere overseas. A good inbred hillbilly beer though...

Bud Light from Anheuser-Busch