Bud Light | Anheuser-Busch

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 6,155 |  Reviews: 1,496
1.64/5  rDev -11.8%

Light? Transparent. There is no visual thickness to this beer whatsoever. Just a clear, golden color. Too gold. If I didn't know better, I'd think there was added food coloring. But I know better, right? Right?

Weird sharp smell, sort of a Budweiser trademark. If I hadn't drank my share of Bud, I'd swear it had gone skunky. But no, that's just the way Bud tastes.

Weird slimy mouthfeel to this one. I mean, it makes it go down nice and smooth, but it still gives the impression something is dreadfully wrong.

Another lousy light beer. Try it just to remind yourself what bad beer tastes like.

1.95/5  rDev +4.8%

Sweet, semi-sharp start. Smoother, very sharp, and noticably hoppy finish. As best i can tell Bud Light is essentially a sweeter and less diversely flavored version of Coors Light. Light to medium body, and an even, enjoyable aftertaste.

- Backdated tasting: I first reviewed this beer on 28JUN03, this post is based on notes from that review. -

1.44/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I was at a wedding. My options were liquor, shit wine, Bud Light, or Mic Light.

I chose liquor.

But then, as my stomach begged me for something else, I had a moment of weakness. It's really at these weak moments in life that we do our stupidest things, isn't it?

I could care less about A-B, how they make Bud Light, or anything else. Here's what I care about: This tastes like shit. It looks OK to be sure, though there's just something artificially white about that head. But it doesn't smell like anything except perhaps the bath tub after you've just drained it. The flavor is so dull and tongue-numbingly bland that I was thinking, "Ah well, it's not too bad." Then I had a conversation, the beer got warm, and I immediately recoiled in fear and loathing as I took another sip.

Something had crawled into my glass and died.

Or at least, that what it tasted like. Why the hell I didn't switch to the crap wine instead of beer, I'll never know. But I didn't. And so therein lies the inspiration for this review.

2.08/5  rDev +11.8%

Picked up a couple cans at a wedding only to re-try this for this was a pre-BA brew for me some many years back. I've come along way since only to wonder how this mass-produced light straw colored little beer holds such a large market share. It pours so clear you can see through it, as its pouring! The head is white and fizzy. It fades very fast to not even a thin film. The body is weak and lace is wispy if at all. Hops & malt, don't even go there, for not much to be found. A slight bitter, dry finish with some alcohol kick, if you drink enough of them. That must be the mass appeal.

1.18/5  rDev -36.6%

i hate his beer. as anything 'bud' seems to give me a headache (even just one), this one follows suit, but seeing as it's so watered down, it gave me less of a headache, so bonus points, i guess. basically, this looks and smells like the toilet water i just pissed in. not that i'd know, but i can't imagine this tastes much better wither. just plain awful. like water mixed with chemicals or something. no real beer flavouring here at all, save for a bit of graininess, perhaps. keep this one away from me.

1.97/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance: I poured some out just so I could see what it looked like. Into the plastic cup it went. Very, Very pale yellow. Some carbonation, but virtually no head. About what I expected.

Smell: Smell? What smell? Didn't smell good, didn't smell bad. I couldn't smell anything.

Taste: Some rice, and maybe a little malt, but really very weak flavor overall. Like a really watered down Sapporo. Very weak flavor.

Mouthfeel: Light. Kind of a crispness to it, but really light feel. Goes down like water is about the best way I can describe it.

Drinkability: Well, I had two last night after a round of golf, and while they went down easy, I woke up with a headache. That's not exactly what I want to wake up with so the odds of me drinking this again are low. If I want a headache in the morning after drinking, I'm going to enjoy what I drink and have some whiskey.

Had this after golf because the clubhouse didn't really offer anything else. Fairly easy to drink without getting drunk, just very little flavor. I'll get around to reviewing Coors, just not sure I want to ruin my memories of what I used to drink, but this was definately not a winner for me. Glad I steered clear of it in college, otherwise I might still be stuck on it.

2.39/5  rDev +28.5%

This is my favorite way to drink Bud Light. The canned version has tasted the best to me. It did not have as much of a straw flavor out of the can. It seemed to have more flavor. Maybe because no light could get in. Who knows. Everything else was basically the same. The mouthfeel and appearance.

Drink up

2.2/5  rDev +18.3%

Cristal clear headless pale golden tone with not very much to it....Slight hoppy smell not very elaborate or strong. Brutal taste, terribly weak and watery with some carbonation and some perception of hops at the end, but rather like dirty water than beer. I just wish there weren't so many in my fridge right now....

1.97/5  rDev +5.9%

Beer for people that don't like beer (I do believe that was the whole idea when it was first made). Slightly better from draft - but if you can get this on draft there should be something better available. Can be slightly better by circumstances - at a concert, ball game etc... If I had a choice between bud and bug light, I'd take the bug light. Thats the highest praise I can give it.

Pale straw yellow, stark white head
very clean aroma, with a slight sulfur tone
tastes like corn flakes
uninteresting, but drinkable
there are no hops, no malt, but plenty of water was used, and apparently yeast was present at some point

2.61/5  rDev +40.3%

Had to go with the draft special here because I was low on cash. This beer was served close to freezing temperatures and was nearly giving me brain freezes as I drank. Of course this beer poured out a very clear and light pale yellow color. The head was thin. Tons of carbonation. Slight whiffs of grains and rice from the aroma. Hard to tell since I was drinking yellow liquid nitrogen. It was hot outside and it paired very well with the hot wings I was eating. Left a slight oiliness on the tongue. I didn’t let it get warm. I don’t know if that’s a good thing or not.

2.65/5  rDev +42.5%

I suppose I'll rate Bud Light just because it's so commonplace. Bud Light is an enjoyable beer, but it is very boring because it is a mass produced beverage. It's a good beer to drink when you're out somewhere because you can find it anywhere. If you've not had it, you're out of the loop. The pour is pretty boring, the aroma is kinda boring and the flavor is pretty plain, but it is a staple in modern America. Not a bad drink, but if you're looking for an intersting beer, this one isn't for you.

1.72/5  rDev -7.5%

OK, I'll rate this tasteless alcohol delivery system.

I don't know how to rate this, and rate real flavored beers too.

I usually keep a few in the fridge for when the friends that like it, and it only come over. I do pop open a can once in a while, like to cool off, or when I am full from dinner, but would like something "less filling" I also use this once in a while to add to a home brew of mine to lighten it up a bit, again, when hot in the summer or after a filling meal. Or, to add carbonation to a homebrew.

The overcarbonation really burns my mouth. I usually swirl the can to get some of the carbonation down.

I did try this beer, before they water it down at an A-B tour, and man, that was good! Why don't they sell that???

2.42/5  rDev +30.1%

Very pale yellow, almost colorless. Clear. White head.
Faint aroma of sweet grainy malts.

Taste is very light. Sweet grainy malt flavor is about the only thing there. Hops almost undetectable. The beer has a bit of a funny taste to it, but it is clean and thirst quenching.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery.
Very mellow, but not desirable.

Overall, this is a clean lager that gives the impression that it's about half beer and half water. Very little character.

2.63/5  rDev +41.4%

Pours a very pale straw color that is nearly crystal clear yet has alot of bubbles racing towards the headless top of this beer. The smell is extremely mellow with hardly any character at all. The first impression from the taste is alot of carb bite and abruptly changes to a very faint lightly sweetened earthy grain and not much else going on. It is very light bodied and finishes some way or another, just too faint to tell. Goes down easy in the hot Texas sun, but I'm not a fan of AB products in general. Cheers!

1.77/5  rDev -4.8%

(DISCLAIMER: This beer was reviewed as part of a multi-beer session including Ice House, Heinekin, Coors Light, Bud Light, and Busch. All were canned to ensure protection against skunking. As an aside, personally I wish Pilsner Urquell was available in cans, I can't get it without it being skunked. Now I don't normally drink these macrobrews but its interesting to sample them and compare them. Before I was "serious" about beer I thought these all tasted the same. Then when I got serious I still thought they tasted the same but I never drank them. Now, I think they DO taste different. Of course, I try to avoid drinking them but sometimes they are all thats available, like at my dad's house or brother-in-laws. Nuff said.)

I gave this a pretty vigourous pour and I was rewarded with a decent-lasting head. The beer clarity is crystal-clear, and the color is a very pale straw, almost with a very subtle shade of green (I kid you not). The aroma has a very faint hint of graininess, not really maltiness but more like a cereal graininess - almost like rice krispies. There isn't much of a hint of corn in the aroma, which is something I was looking out for. I was also looking for a hint of green apple in the aroma, which I have detected in Budweiser before, but I don't get it in the Light version at this sitting, anyway. Perhaps they use a different yeast or the wort composition lends itself to less of this compound (which I think is acetyladehyde?) (Or watering down regular Bud pushes it below the sensory threshold!) The flavor is dominated by sweetness, but not a rich malty sweetness akin to German beers, more like a slightly syrupy note. The carbonation level and a faint hint of hops in the finish provide a very crisp finish. The beer is obviously well-made but not exciting at all and rather insipid. For what it is, I believe it is fine, but beer can be so much more.

For the BJCP style American light lager, this is pretty good, maybe 4.2 / 5, but it could be a little less syrupy.

2.13/5  rDev +14.5%

Bud Light is the most unoffensive beer in the world. The appearance is a pale golden fizzy yellow tone with a highly carbonated fizzy white head that does stay around for a little suprisingly not much lace going on here. Aroma is not off just mild sweetness derived from corn, rice, and malted barley. My theory is that people who don't like beer drink this beer, because you don't have to think about it there's not much to analyze here or to taste for that matter. Flavors blend smoothly because nothing stands out enough to collide so this is for the masses and their marketing campaign allows them to reach more people than I can fathom. Mouthfeel is thin and highly carbonated like a soda water flavored beer. Drinkability on a couple levels does this challenge my senses and make me yearn for another well no, but can I drink alot of this low alcohol light beer yes probably a 12 pack but is it worth it not in my opinion.

1.23/5  rDev -33.9%

I remember thinking that this stuff was crap even before I knew what good beer was. But I was at my friend's house a few nights ago and all he drinks is Bud Light. I wanted a drink so I decided to have one. Wow was that one bad tasting beer. I could only drink one that night. Not quite as watery as some other macro lights but that might not be a good thing. The only taste I recognize is grass. I'm swearing this stuff off for good.

2.19/5  rDev +17.7%

It's 7:30 on a Tuesday evening. We (the missus and I) are at Riverbend Music Center and who is performing in 30 minutes? None other than Boston. Got our spot picked out on the lawn, double-comfy chair deployed, complete with 2 drink holders in the middle. Time for the first brew. The first beer truck I see serves Bud Light. 'Is there any other beer in the house?'

'No sir, just the Bud Light'. That's probably not true, but time's a wastin' so I plunk down $11.50 (!) for 2 20-ouncers.

Appearance - Pale yellow, not a deep head, but a fairly foamy one, mostly in the center. Recedes to a film, but massive bubble replacement from below helps it maintain rather impressively. I'm not a Bud Light man, but on a mid-80's evening with high humidity, this beer looks pretty good.

Aroma - I picked up a whisper of an adjunct smell here and there, but the plastic cup smell actually gets in the way of trying to pick up much of anything.

Taste - Light, sweet taste of adjunct and fading malt. Big carbonation hit really cleans out the mouth of any other flavors. No hoppiness, but a little grassy. Very watered down, not a value at $6.00 per 20 ounces.

Mouthfeel - very alive on the bubbles, there. Crisp, clean, no depth - not unusual for a light beer.

Drinkability - man, at 6 bucks a beer, I gotta find regular Bud. For a first round, to quench the thirst and all, this does the trick, but after one, it's really time to shift gear into some higher octane brew. The evening's beer search continues with my Bud on-tap review, up next...

1.53/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This brew poured a medium head of fine to medium sized white bubbles and produced a has a rice beer aroma. The head quickly disappeared before I could take my first taste. Its body is a transparent urine yellow color with carbonation rising in the mug. Very little taste to this brew of mostly fizz. What little taste there is is that of rice and water.

1.78/5  rDev -4.3%

This draft beer came to me looking pretty normal. A light yellow in color with no head or lace in this brew. The aroma was week, slight hint of malt and grains but that was it. A slightly malt start and a bitter/dry after taste, watered down is the best description for the taste. Nothing impressive. Better off drinking water.

1.8/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 Oz. Pilsner style glass.
Okay, I'll review this beer. I attended a birthday party for a friend at a country western bar. I wasn't going to review this beer but since I drank one...Oh by the way the beer was given to me free from the birthday girls husband. He bought a round for everyone and I was not going to be rude. I do not think I have had a Bud Light since college. Some years ago.

Clear yellow and a lot of carbonation. A Very uninviting transparent beer. The smell is a weak scent of basic nothingness. Kind of like rice.

The taste is bland for someone who likes hops. I did not notice much. I tasted the carbonation much more than the flavor of the ingredients. I could sense the barley. A little apple flavor maybe a tang here and there. I know it is a light beer but I just feel the creativity went out the door on this one.

I will say the mouthfeel is accepable. Without much flavor this type of beer goes down fast, easy and smooth.

I think most people drink it because they want to drink but keep the evening as low cal as alcohol can be.

1.38/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I would think this is the lowpoint of my beer reviews. The best selling beer in America pours pale and clear with only a wisp of a head forming. The aroma is the standard AB green apple smell, no hops to speak of, no real malt aroma either. The taste is watery, smooth, and no dominant characteristics. I only would drink this if given to me while visiting somebody's home.

3.67/5  rDev +97.3%

There are two things that perplex me. One, the fact that some people will hate any AB product de facto. Secondly, that a ''beer advocate" would drink a lite beer expecting some mona lisa type masterpiece in a glass. It's fucking light beer. If you want a beer good for drinking with a diverse crowd this is the right beer. If you want a beer that you can drink in mass quanities with no problem, this is the right beer. If you want something complex and interesting then find something that was meant to be complex and interesting.

1.55/5  rDev -16.7%

Bud Light. I can't believe I drank this. Pours a very pale yellow color with a loose, artificial looking head. The head fades quickly into oblivion. Smell, what smell? Maybe a hint of graininess. Taste: Metallic water. Not all that much here. Mouthfeel is very harsh, with gargantuan bubbles rasping at my tongue and throat. Drinkability, poor. I'd rather drink water. I suffered through this one in the name of Beer Advocacy. Maybe the worst light macro I've had.

1.6/5  rDev -14%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

12 can with freshness dating.

Beer is pale yellow with an artificial looking head that quickly collapses. strange chemically looking head. Very little lace.

Smell is strange, hints of grain sweetness, but also a little rotten vegetable smell. I also got hints of sulphur. The smell surprised me because most AB products seem engineered to have no smell at all.

Taste is very very bland. Truly a bad beer. The only thing I liked was the carbonation which was substantial. I truly could not finish this beer.

Mouthfeel is so thin as to be almost nonexistent. Drinkability is about the same as a club soda or other carbonated water. Truly an abysmal product.

Bud Light from Anheuser-Busch