Bud Light | Anheuser-Busch

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 6,146 |  Reviews: 1,495
1.52/5  rDev -18.3%

Before I found good beer, I drank Bud Light as one of my regulars. Yes, I give it credit for being a light beer and do take that into consideration in my review, but the facts shine through: This beer is one of the blandest, dullest most over-mass-produced, flavorless beer-water beverages on Earth. But it does have fewer calories. Yes, you can down a few if they are ice cold, but try getting a good buzz? Forget it. Anyway, there is worse (Coors Light), so this beer doesn't bring up the rear.

1.3/5  rDev -30.1%

Appearance = pale, pale gold, medium carbonation, big foamy head

Nose = nada

taste = bad beer mixed w/water. If this is all we've got I'll ask for water instead. If I'm dieting I'd rather drink one GOOD brew and 2 glasses of water than sit around drinking 3 of these.

ahhh bud light. Had in a can at a picnic at my girlfriends family reunion in Knoxville, Tennesee! This stuff was bad, I drank it straight from the can, so the appearance is null and void. the smells was of rice, corn, adjuncts, and sugar. The taste: more of the same. the mouthfeel light, and horrible. The drinkability: disturbing! This may be even worse than coors light, and that is saying a hell of a lot!
stay away, please!
do it for me, do it for yourself, and do it for your country!
cheers!,
F.

2.08/5  rDev +11.8%

It has all been said about this one. It is true this beer has no taste and very little aroma, but I have to show a little respect. This was the first brew I've ever had. I guess you could say it got me interested in beer. I will still drink this brew if it is the only thing offered especially after a long hard day, but only if it is the only thing offered.

1.42/5  rDev -23.7%

What can I say... The most overrated beer of all time. You would think that with all of the money that AB has wasted on advertising this swill that they could have invested at leaste SOME of that money to creating a half decent beer.

First of all, the color is disconcerting. It looks more like a bodily fluid than a beer. Then you get to the taste..ugh. Watery, but with a slight taste of leftovers scraped from the floor when they brewed regular Bud tossed in. Combine that with the average price tag for a 24 pack being around $14 and you get an all-around rip-off. Its considered good beer by those who have never had anything except for MGD, Rolling Rock, or Coors Light. Personally, I'd rather have a Keystone Light, Natty Light, or even a PBR. Those three beers are not only more satisfying, they are half the price of this overpriced beer-water. Hey, at least the commercials are good. (I attend college in Williamsburg, VA, right next to Busch Gardens and the AB Brewery. I have to smell this stuff being brewed.)

1.7/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

My finacee's dad drinks this stuff all the time. He's given me some, but that has been the only time I drink it, and that was only when I was "hard up" for beer. What can I say about it? It's light in color, with a little head, due to carbonation. The taste is nothing great. It's just there. I guess if I had to describe it, I would say that it was like stale water, with some hoppiness to it. The mouthfeel is somewhat remeniscent of water. Not much on the drinkability scale, but it's better than "The Bull".

2.15/5  rDev +15.6%

It is hard to stay in St. Louis and not sample some Bud Light.

The beer from a tap poured to give a light golden beer with very little carbonation and only a small head. The aroma was very, very slight (malt?). The taste is very light, but not tasteless. As far as "light beers" it serves the purpose, I suppose. There is very little mouthfeel since it is so thin, but there is some tiny amount of hops in the finish. The drinkability is low, but if you must, make sure it is ice cold.

1.44/5  rDev -22.6%

Oh how the palate has changed. Not that I often drank this but it regularly showed up at many family gatherings as it did this night. Poured a light golden color with a decent head that lasted longer than I expected. Doesn't look bad but the nose really didn't give any hints as to the taste to come ( or maybe it did?) Watered down, bitter, and overall not tasty. I drank it but the first sip made me cringe. Switched to soda until I could get home to some real beer.

2.29/5  rDev +23.1%

Pours a perfectly clear beer with a quickly disipating head.

A sweet and dry aroma with no detectible hop smell.

Carbonation stings the tounge that finishes with a mild sweetness.

as with all A-B beverages, it is a very polished beer. so polished, infact, that it has no character at all and seems to be just a vehicle to get drunk and socialize.

a good bottled water would serve me better.

1.53/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Perfectly clear and almost colorless with a large snow-white head and moderate carbonation. Rather faint aroma of grain and a mere rumor of hops. Mouthfeel is quite watery, carbonation stings a bit sharply. Tasting yields a little malt which fades to a faint bit of lemon hops with a crisp and dry finish. Little more in character than a sparkling mineral water would offer.

1.85/5  rDev -0.5%

It is amazing the changes that have taken place for me over the past five years in terms of my beer selection. In college I thought BL was a good beer, I had so much to learn. This beer looks, smells and tastes like water with corn added. To each his own, but this one isn't for me.

1.08/5  rDev -41.9%

Bud Light
Even worse than coors light!
Bad attempt at a drinkable beer.
No head ,the taste was water down bud very stale flat skunked
beer.Makes coors light taste like a refreshing drink!

3.28/5  rDev +76.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a very clear, yellowish/light straw gold with a white head that drops almost immediately to just a collar. The aroma is quite limited but offers some dull maltiness if you seek it out. The body is light with a very fine carbonation that's gently crisp in the mouth. The flavor is limited as well, but offers a clean combination of gentle malt and mild hop. It finishes exceptionally clean and drying. There's not really much here, but I guess that's the point of light beer. What makes it stand out in its category, however, is that there's absolutely no off-flavor to it and the balance is dead on. Very well made.

2.68/5  rDev +44.1%

This particular Bud Light sampled was the Canadian model brewed under licence from AB to Labatt Brewing Co. This offering was very light in colour and the head was very impressive but quickly left leaving no evidence in its wake. Hops are very prominent and the carbonation seems sufficient.
I enjoyed it....

1.2/5  rDev -35.5%

Absolute worst of the american macro-lights. Very, very, very pale. Very pale. It was only a little grainy smelling, that's it. Not really any malt to speak of, and as for hops, the only hops this beer had in it is some that my have diffused through the packaging from some good beer it was sitting next to on the shelf. Very carbonated. Like soda water with yellow food coloring. The only reason I got this was because it was the cheapest 6-pack in the store. This was also the reason for the drinkability not being "aweful".

I was having a feud with neighbor and I bought a six pack of these to empty and then throw on his yard. Definite "white trash" beer. People who like this are into stock car racing and hunting. I personally think it has no taste. I once tried to steam mussels in it, but that didn't even produce a taste. Will go with out before I drink this.

2.03/5  rDev +9.1%

Well you know, cheap and easy to drink but not a great tasting beer. Light body, no head, plenty of corn and rice though. For cheap shit it works. I will have on hand for my friends that do appricate the good stuff.

1.3/5  rDev -30.1%

This is not a very good product. Overall it has a very bland appearance, no highlights, no real color. There isn't a very defined scent, the aroma is very faint because it is barley there to begin with. I can not drink this. It has a very sandy texture and goes down rougher than warm ginger ale.

1.1/5  rDev -40.9%

Pale liquid, not so much straw-colored as it is just gray. A scary, dead-looking color. Freakishly clown-like aromas of cotton candy, sweet-heart candy, formaldehyde... I don't think I can drink this "beer." I push on. Wow. The flavors are thankfully very watery. I was afraid I would have to taste what I smelled. There is a very faint echo of the aromas on the palate, like it is coming to me across a vast distance. I feel safe. If I was a gutter alcoholic, I might consider drinking this... if it were free.

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 4

Very pale yellow with not much of a head. Clean smell and very fizzy, like a soda. Not much flavor here at all. If you like water, this is for you...but water is cheaper. It will quench your thirst and thats about it. At least it's not skunky. Very easy too drink, it's a party beer.

2.31/5  rDev +24.2%

If you're a fan of beer, you're probably not watching your calorie intake anyway, so the only reason these types of beers exist is for people who really don't like the full taste of a real beer. Nevertheless, I'm reviewing Bud Lite (review #2 for me, if you're following my beer journey), which is up there in terms of popularity next to Coors Light (in NJ, anyway, which is Coors Light country). I don't automatically have a predetermined dislike for Anheuser-Busch, so I'm going into this review giving it a fair shake.

First off, this stuff is paler than normal Bud. A VERY pale straw color. It forms a better head than Bud, but not by much. I took a sniff, and I don't know if I got a bad bunch but the smell was kind of like a musty grain smell. Not too good.
I took a taste and luckily it tasted better than the smell. A very slight malt taste and absoultely no hop character. No bitterness here, folks. Very watery, and not as carbonated as regular Bud. The aftertaste is just about non-existant, as is the alcohol taste.

Whereas Budweiser specifically lists that it is brewed with rice on it's label, Bud Light says "select grains", meaning there's probably corn AND rice in there (not to mention a slew of other Anheuser-Busch chemicals). I do find it very drinkable, as it would go great with greasy BBQ food. A non-offensive beer, and I am sure that there are worse beers than this out there.

1.71/5  rDev -8.1%

Pale gold in hue with small white head; poor retention. There was almost no lace. The nose is unremarkable and not noteworthy. Typical light “American-Macro” taste, some sweetness, graininess, plenty of water, it is largely devoid of flavor. If Anheuser-Busch didn’t spend a zillion dollars on marketing this beer they would have very few people drinking it. I wish I could give drinkability a zero; Bud Light makes me fiercely sick, after two bottles I am in the bathroom… (I’ll spare the details).

1.7/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

whew, this was rough. out of the keg, it stank horribly, and it was a struggle to down. i needed to start with some good stuff before breaking into this one

2.7/5  rDev +45.2%

Out of a 24oz can, Bud Light pours a faint yellow, and a white foam head that goes rather quickly.

Taste is a light astringent and just the slightest amount bitter, with that carbonation bight at the end.

The best way to describe this Beer would be mundane.

1.55/5  rDev -16.7%

Pours crystal clear, faintly yellow to nearly transparent color. Head is at first bubbly and white then dissappears like a ghost fart..........Smell is mostly grainy, and metallic bitterness. Taste is same wierd grainy, metallic, watery, and just plain awful. The bottom of the beer was much worse. This beer is only tolerable if drank extremely cold, and jostled around enough to produce some foam..like in a golf cart, or mowing the lawn.....shaking it up produces those same faint beer like qualities as budweiser, only less so. Wierd sourness to finish with watery feel. Not a good feeling....I don't see how they seell so many of these.......To my surprise Budweiser actually tasted much better.

Bud Light from Anheuser-Busch