Bud Light | Anheuser-Busch

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 6,166 |  Reviews: 1,497
1.77/5  rDev -4.8%

(DISCLAIMER: This beer was reviewed as part of a multi-beer session including Ice House, Heinekin, Coors Light, Bud Light, and Busch. All were canned to ensure protection against skunking. As an aside, personally I wish Pilsner Urquell was available in cans, I can't get it without it being skunked. Now I don't normally drink these macrobrews but its interesting to sample them and compare them. Before I was "serious" about beer I thought these all tasted the same. Then when I got serious I still thought they tasted the same but I never drank them. Now, I think they DO taste different. Of course, I try to avoid drinking them but sometimes they are all thats available, like at my dad's house or brother-in-laws. Nuff said.)

I gave this a pretty vigourous pour and I was rewarded with a decent-lasting head. The beer clarity is crystal-clear, and the color is a very pale straw, almost with a very subtle shade of green (I kid you not). The aroma has a very faint hint of graininess, not really maltiness but more like a cereal graininess - almost like rice krispies. There isn't much of a hint of corn in the aroma, which is something I was looking out for. I was also looking for a hint of green apple in the aroma, which I have detected in Budweiser before, but I don't get it in the Light version at this sitting, anyway. Perhaps they use a different yeast or the wort composition lends itself to less of this compound (which I think is acetyladehyde?) (Or watering down regular Bud pushes it below the sensory threshold!) The flavor is dominated by sweetness, but not a rich malty sweetness akin to German beers, more like a slightly syrupy note. The carbonation level and a faint hint of hops in the finish provide a very crisp finish. The beer is obviously well-made but not exciting at all and rather insipid. For what it is, I believe it is fine, but beer can be so much more.

For the BJCP style American light lager, this is pretty good, maybe 4.2 / 5, but it could be a little less syrupy.

2.13/5  rDev +14.5%

Bud Light is the most unoffensive beer in the world. The appearance is a pale golden fizzy yellow tone with a highly carbonated fizzy white head that does stay around for a little suprisingly not much lace going on here. Aroma is not off just mild sweetness derived from corn, rice, and malted barley. My theory is that people who don't like beer drink this beer, because you don't have to think about it there's not much to analyze here or to taste for that matter. Flavors blend smoothly because nothing stands out enough to collide so this is for the masses and their marketing campaign allows them to reach more people than I can fathom. Mouthfeel is thin and highly carbonated like a soda water flavored beer. Drinkability on a couple levels does this challenge my senses and make me yearn for another well no, but can I drink alot of this low alcohol light beer yes probably a 12 pack but is it worth it not in my opinion.

1.23/5  rDev -33.9%

I remember thinking that this stuff was crap even before I knew what good beer was. But I was at my friend's house a few nights ago and all he drinks is Bud Light. I wanted a drink so I decided to have one. Wow was that one bad tasting beer. I could only drink one that night. Not quite as watery as some other macro lights but that might not be a good thing. The only taste I recognize is grass. I'm swearing this stuff off for good.

2.19/5  rDev +17.7%

It's 7:30 on a Tuesday evening. We (the missus and I) are at Riverbend Music Center and who is performing in 30 minutes? None other than Boston. Got our spot picked out on the lawn, double-comfy chair deployed, complete with 2 drink holders in the middle. Time for the first brew. The first beer truck I see serves Bud Light. 'Is there any other beer in the house?'

'No sir, just the Bud Light'. That's probably not true, but time's a wastin' so I plunk down $11.50 (!) for 2 20-ouncers.

Appearance - Pale yellow, not a deep head, but a fairly foamy one, mostly in the center. Recedes to a film, but massive bubble replacement from below helps it maintain rather impressively. I'm not a Bud Light man, but on a mid-80's evening with high humidity, this beer looks pretty good.

Aroma - I picked up a whisper of an adjunct smell here and there, but the plastic cup smell actually gets in the way of trying to pick up much of anything.

Taste - Light, sweet taste of adjunct and fading malt. Big carbonation hit really cleans out the mouth of any other flavors. No hoppiness, but a little grassy. Very watered down, not a value at $6.00 per 20 ounces.

Mouthfeel - very alive on the bubbles, there. Crisp, clean, no depth - not unusual for a light beer.

Drinkability - man, at 6 bucks a beer, I gotta find regular Bud. For a first round, to quench the thirst and all, this does the trick, but after one, it's really time to shift gear into some higher octane brew. The evening's beer search continues with my Bud on-tap review, up next...

1.53/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This brew poured a medium head of fine to medium sized white bubbles and produced a has a rice beer aroma. The head quickly disappeared before I could take my first taste. Its body is a transparent urine yellow color with carbonation rising in the mug. Very little taste to this brew of mostly fizz. What little taste there is is that of rice and water.

1.78/5  rDev -4.3%

This draft beer came to me looking pretty normal. A light yellow in color with no head or lace in this brew. The aroma was week, slight hint of malt and grains but that was it. A slightly malt start and a bitter/dry after taste, watered down is the best description for the taste. Nothing impressive. Better off drinking water.

1.8/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 Oz. Pilsner style glass.
Okay, I'll review this beer. I attended a birthday party for a friend at a country western bar. I wasn't going to review this beer but since I drank one...Oh by the way the beer was given to me free from the birthday girls husband. He bought a round for everyone and I was not going to be rude. I do not think I have had a Bud Light since college. Some years ago.

Clear yellow and a lot of carbonation. A Very uninviting transparent beer. The smell is a weak scent of basic nothingness. Kind of like rice.

The taste is bland for someone who likes hops. I did not notice much. I tasted the carbonation much more than the flavor of the ingredients. I could sense the barley. A little apple flavor maybe a tang here and there. I know it is a light beer but I just feel the creativity went out the door on this one.

I will say the mouthfeel is accepable. Without much flavor this type of beer goes down fast, easy and smooth.

I think most people drink it because they want to drink but keep the evening as low cal as alcohol can be.

1.38/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I would think this is the lowpoint of my beer reviews. The best selling beer in America pours pale and clear with only a wisp of a head forming. The aroma is the standard AB green apple smell, no hops to speak of, no real malt aroma either. The taste is watery, smooth, and no dominant characteristics. I only would drink this if given to me while visiting somebody's home.

3.67/5  rDev +97.3%

There are two things that perplex me. One, the fact that some people will hate any AB product de facto. Secondly, that a ''beer advocate" would drink a lite beer expecting some mona lisa type masterpiece in a glass. It's fucking light beer. If you want a beer good for drinking with a diverse crowd this is the right beer. If you want a beer that you can drink in mass quanities with no problem, this is the right beer. If you want something complex and interesting then find something that was meant to be complex and interesting.

1.55/5  rDev -16.7%

Bud Light. I can't believe I drank this. Pours a very pale yellow color with a loose, artificial looking head. The head fades quickly into oblivion. Smell, what smell? Maybe a hint of graininess. Taste: Metallic water. Not all that much here. Mouthfeel is very harsh, with gargantuan bubbles rasping at my tongue and throat. Drinkability, poor. I'd rather drink water. I suffered through this one in the name of Beer Advocacy. Maybe the worst light macro I've had.

1.6/5  rDev -14%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

12 can with freshness dating.

Beer is pale yellow with an artificial looking head that quickly collapses. strange chemically looking head. Very little lace.

Smell is strange, hints of grain sweetness, but also a little rotten vegetable smell. I also got hints of sulphur. The smell surprised me because most AB products seem engineered to have no smell at all.

Taste is very very bland. Truly a bad beer. The only thing I liked was the carbonation which was substantial. I truly could not finish this beer.

Mouthfeel is so thin as to be almost nonexistent. Drinkability is about the same as a club soda or other carbonated water. Truly an abysmal product.

Compared to Coors & Miller Light/Lite this is pretty bad. I mean, it's decent, but it is certainly nothing to write home about. It'll do if you have nothing else around, but certainly not a top pick. Taste good after about the 5th or 6th time around. Usually better to start with something stronger like Budweiser, then the more you drink throughout the day gradually slow down with a Bud Light.

1.5/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This beer poured a quick dissolving head. It was watery. It was yellow in color. There was definitely carbonation in this beer. There was not much taste to this beer at all. I was totally unimpressed by yet another American beer. I am glad I have this rating over with.

1.8/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

Baaaaaadddd. Straw-transparent color with white fizzy head. Bottle opened like a bottle of seltzer with the sound off psssttttt. Flavorless at first but leaves an after taste of adjuncts, corn, and veggies. Carbonation is off the charts. Its light and tasteless, making it an acceptable substitute for water (or even milk, right PETA?).

1.27/5  rDev -31.7%

I can't believe I'm wasting my time reviewing this. Free at a wedding I attended. Served in a pilsner glass. Even on draft it was bad. Color is an extremely pale yellow. I think most olive oils have a deeper shade of yellow. Thin white head. Mouthfeel was fizzy and unbelievably thin. Tasted like... well, there was no taste. Hint of crispness in the finish.

I can't stand Budweiser and Bud Light is more of the same garbage with even less redeeming qualities. This is a beer for people who don't like the taste of beer, so they choose something that lacks any and all flavor characteristics. If you're watching calories drink water or certainly find a light beer with some kind of flavor.

1.23/5  rDev -33.9%

Always looks better than it tastes, this pours a yellow color with a foamy white head. Head dissipates almost immediately and leaves no lacing. Tastes the standard A-B bad with tinges of bad adjuncts and the bad hops that A-B always uses. Pass on this unless you want to have bad memories. We use this to baste hams.

1.8/5  rDev -3.2%

I ran out of beers and some chicks gave me one of these. Needless to say i took it, but as far as beers go, this is towards the bottom of the barrel. If you were going to drink anything for this company, bud heavy should be the only thing you consider. Not worth buying.

How can I review a beer so horrible, It's macrogarbage at its worst. I don't even care to think about how bad this is, one taste will tell you, damn what am I thinking and drinking. Stick to WATER as with all AB products, it doesn't matter which beer it is Dry, Ice, Original, or Light. They are all lousy and of poor quality and that born on date doesn't matter if you drank it from the brewery itself.

1.82/5  rDev -2.2%

This was my beer of choice before I stumbled across good beers. Now drinking it again, I wonder how I managed to be happy with it before. This beer is really bland even when compared to other beers in its style. It is ok if there is not much choice, and you really want to get drunk, but if you want to enjoy a beer, pass this one by.

1.03/5  rDev -44.6%

I asked the bartender for a sample of this (I've never had it before) and he looked at me as if I were crazy. I knew I didn't want a whole pint, I just wanted to see how bad this crap really was. It is bad. Pale pale yellow. Tastes more like water than beer. I'm not sure why people drink this. Yuck!

1.52/5  rDev -18.3%

Before I found good beer, I drank Bud Light as one of my regulars. Yes, I give it credit for being a light beer and do take that into consideration in my review, but the facts shine through: This beer is one of the blandest, dullest most over-mass-produced, flavorless beer-water beverages on Earth. But it does have fewer calories. Yes, you can down a few if they are ice cold, but try getting a good buzz? Forget it. Anyway, there is worse (Coors Light), so this beer doesn't bring up the rear.

1.3/5  rDev -30.1%

Appearance = pale, pale gold, medium carbonation, big foamy head

Nose = nada

taste = bad beer mixed w/water. If this is all we've got I'll ask for water instead. If I'm dieting I'd rather drink one GOOD brew and 2 glasses of water than sit around drinking 3 of these.

ahhh bud light. Had in a can at a picnic at my girlfriends family reunion in Knoxville, Tennesee! This stuff was bad, I drank it straight from the can, so the appearance is null and void. the smells was of rice, corn, adjuncts, and sugar. The taste: more of the same. the mouthfeel light, and horrible. The drinkability: disturbing! This may be even worse than coors light, and that is saying a hell of a lot!
stay away, please!
do it for me, do it for yourself, and do it for your country!
cheers!,
F.

2.08/5  rDev +11.8%

It has all been said about this one. It is true this beer has no taste and very little aroma, but I have to show a little respect. This was the first brew I've ever had. I guess you could say it got me interested in beer. I will still drink this brew if it is the only thing offered especially after a long hard day, but only if it is the only thing offered.

1.42/5  rDev -23.7%

What can I say... The most overrated beer of all time. You would think that with all of the money that AB has wasted on advertising this swill that they could have invested at leaste SOME of that money to creating a half decent beer.

First of all, the color is disconcerting. It looks more like a bodily fluid than a beer. Then you get to the taste..ugh. Watery, but with a slight taste of leftovers scraped from the floor when they brewed regular Bud tossed in. Combine that with the average price tag for a 24 pack being around $14 and you get an all-around rip-off. Its considered good beer by those who have never had anything except for MGD, Rolling Rock, or Coors Light. Personally, I'd rather have a Keystone Light, Natty Light, or even a PBR. Those three beers are not only more satisfying, they are half the price of this overpriced beer-water. Hey, at least the commercials are good. (I attend college in Williamsburg, VA, right next to Busch Gardens and the AB Brewery. I have to smell this stuff being brewed.)

Bud Light from Anheuser-Busch